Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Anderson Cooper's Mom Had TV Mini-Series Made About Her Life

Little Gloria...Happy At Last.

With an all-star cast starring Bette Davis, Angela Lansbury, Christopher Plummer, Maureen Stapleton, Martin Balsam, Barnard Hughes, Glynis Johns, John Hillerman and Michael Gross.

Anyone watch it? Is it any good?

by Anonymousreply 2105/16/2013

Who portrayed her husbands and sons?

by Anonymousreply 103/21/2013

I vaguely remember it. The child who played 'little Gloria" looked like a young Beverly Sills (RIP).

by Anonymousreply 203/21/2013

It was based on a bestselling book, OP.

by Anonymousreply 303/21/2013

His mother was the focus of a sensational custody trial in the 1930s.

At the link, Gloria and her mega-rich aunt, Gertrude Vanderbilt Whitney, head to court.

by Anonymousreply 403/21/2013

It was good. In the heyday of the TV mini-series craze.

by Anonymousreply 503/21/2013

She couldn't have been that happy given the way she hacked up her face.

by Anonymousreply 603/21/2013

It was FABULOUS and it felt so glamorous to watch!

Lucy Gutteridge, who was so lovely in A Christmas Carol, played her mother.

Angela Lansbury sprinkled her performance with lesbian, bohemian notes as Aunt Gertrude. OMG though, was Maureen Stapleton ever spot-on as the Irish nanny and DEVOUT Roman Catholic.

They don't make them like that anymore, some would say that is for the better but it is far better than "reality tv."

PS: Remember this was all before Carter's suicide.

by Anonymousreply 703/21/2013

Have you seen the price of Gloria Vanderbilt Jeans? Now I know why they're calling that book "Little Gloria... Happy at Last!"

by Anonymousreply 803/21/2013

[quote]it is far better than "reality tv."

Anything from TV before 2005 is better than today's reality TV.

by Anonymousreply 903/21/2013

Did Gloria (and ultimately Anderson cuz Carter is dead and one of half brothers left the family) inherit anything from Gertrude?

by Anonymousreply 1003/21/2013

It's great. A really glamourous story that also happens to have a compelling true story. Glynis Johns is also great as Gloria Morgan's flaky mother.

by Anonymousreply 1103/21/2013

I wonder if Anderson owned a 45 of Laura Branigan's 'Gloria'?

by Anonymousreply 1203/21/2013

Who played AC?

by Anonymousreply 1303/21/2013

There was a famous albino meerkat born at the San Diego Zoo around that time that producers dressed up in a Little Lord Fauntleroy uniform.

by Anonymousreply 1403/21/2013

The TV movie is about the trial determining custody of Gloria when she was a child, so her husbands & children aren't featured.

I enjoyed it. Gloria's aunt & grandmother objected to the "Bohemian" way the child was being raised by her widowed mother. One of the issues raised at trial was the mother's friendship with a member of the British royal family, Nadezhda de Torby, Marchioness of Milford Haven, which was alleged to be a lesbian relationship.

Horrible to drag a little girl through something like that -- she's been the object of sensational curiosity literally her whole life, it's a wonder she's as "normal" as she is.

by Anonymousreply 1503/21/2013

[quote] Remember this was all before Carter's suicide.

The mini-series caused the suicide?

by Anonymousreply 1603/21/2013

She HAD it made?

You make it sound like she commissioned it.

by Anonymousreply 1703/21/2013

I knew Maureen Stapleton. Maureen knew Gloria Vanderbilt socially and they were friendly. Maureen told me that when she was offered this role, Vanderbilt tried to talk her out of it, since she (Gloria) was not in favor of the film being made. Maureen retorted that it was just a part, and a good one, and if she (Maureen) didn't take it, someone else would. Vanderbilt responded that she would never speak to Maureen again if she signed on to the film. And sure enough, after Maureen took the part, Vanderbilt stuck to her promise. They never spoke again.

by Anonymousreply 1804/04/2013

Angela Lansbury-was as usual-excellent in this. She should have won the Emmy that year.

by Anonymousreply 1904/10/2013

Gloria Vanderbilt, Oona (O'Neil) Chaplin & Carol (Marcus) Matthau were three peas in a pod back when. Great friends.

by Anonymousreply 2005/16/2013

R20 They were considered socialites back then and they put the ones we have now to shame. Shame I tell you, shame!

by Anonymousreply 2105/16/2013
Need more help? Click Here.