Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

AZ Bill Makes It Illegal to Use Opposite Sex Bathrooms

PHOENIX (KTLA) — Republican Representative John Kavanagh wants to make it a misdemeanor for a person to use a public facility associated with a gender other than what is listed on his or her birth certificate.

The proposed legislation, which would cover public restrooms, showers and dressing rooms, is scheduled to be heard by Arizona’s House Appropriations Committee on Wednesday.

Nicknamed “the bathroom bill,” the legislation is seen by many gay-rights activists as being discriminatory against transgender people.

The proposal comes less than a month after the city of Phoenix passed a human rights ordinance prohibiting gender identity discrimination in public accommodations. If passed, the legislation would be the toughest standard in the nation, according to transgender advocates.

by Anonymousreply 2704/03/2013

by Anonymousreply 103/20/2013

Do they really have nothing better than this to worry about in AZ? Good lord. I was born female, identify as a woman, and have no ambivalence whatsoever about my anatomy or gender identity, and yet, if I am in line for a one-seater bathroom and the men's opens up before the women's, I very often just use the men's because, why not? i'd like to see somebody try to arrest me for this.

by Anonymousreply 203/20/2013

So when the frau drag their 12-year-old sons into the women's restroom, who gets charged?

by Anonymousreply 303/20/2013

Yes, R2, but if a man did that, so many women would go crazy.

It probably is about discriminating against trans people, but as a guy I would hate the mens room to become fair game for women. It's bad enough already at the intermission of a show.

by Anonymousreply 403/20/2013

A NYC Health Dept inspector told me there is no requirement for separate men and lady's room. "Restroom" on the door is legal cover both.

by Anonymousreply 503/20/2013

Is this really a big problem?

Beyond the transgender issue, I've seen males or females use opposite sex bathrooms in an emergency, but only when it was an individual bathroom with a locking door, so no one else could get in.

Really, is there some wave of people using the wrong bathroom that has threatened public safety?

by Anonymousreply 603/20/2013

Of course they have bigger and better things to worry about but this yahoo knows that the idiots in his state will eat this shit up. "Oh, we're preserving American democracy and standing up for what the fathers of our country believed in and what millions of soldiers have died for - so that trans people won't use the "wrong" bathroom!!!!!!!"

Kavanaugh is a craven opportunist. I wish someone would stick his head in a toilet and flush it until he drowns.

by Anonymousreply 703/20/2013

The bill will not pass because it will affect mostly straight women who use the men's room when their own line is too long. Probably one transgendered person for every thousand straight women.

by Anonymousreply 803/20/2013

[quote]Yes, [R2], but if a man did that, so many women would go crazy.

You are probably right about some women, but I've seen men come out of a private, single-toilet women's bathroom and thought nothing of it.

[quote] but as a guy I would hate the mens room to become fair game for women. It's bad enough already at the intermission of a show.

Yeah, but it's not like there's any danger of that happening. Large numbers of women are never going to start using big, communal men's rooms, such as those at the theater. As for the one-seaters, I've never really understood why they need to be gender-specific, with only one person going in there at a time.

by Anonymousreply 903/20/2013

In Calif, every public restroom with a single toilet that I've ever seen is labelled "family" or "unisex", or they have both the male & the female symbols on the door -- they're usually big enough to accommodate a parent & child/ren & have a changing table. They're in many stores & medical facilities, sometimes in addition to separate male/female restrooms, sometimes the only restroom.

The AZ bill reminds me of Phyllis Schlafly's cogent argument against ratification of the ERA in the late 1970s: separate public restrooms for men & women would be outlawed! Which worked....

by Anonymousreply 1003/20/2013

These are the pressing issues in AZ???

What a backwards place. Is it mostly old people who live there, that are stuck in the past that vote these idiots into office, like Florida?

by Anonymousreply 1103/20/2013

Well, the gays are winning that fight so we might as well go after the gender perverts now.

by Anonymousreply 1203/20/2013

What about places that provide more restroom facilities for men? Many stadiums built before a certain time have very few women's restrooms. Republicans don't think things through. This will only open a bigger can of worms from women's groups about equal access for them.

by Anonymousreply 1303/20/2013

[quote] Is it mostly old people who live there, that are stuck in the past that vote these idiots into office, like Florida?

Oh dear. I expect you consider yourself liberal and pro equality. Oh dear.

by Anonymousreply 1403/20/2013

It should bee obvious that it's aimed at trannies. The question is why? Has Fox News been running stories about how they're taking over our society?

by Anonymousreply 1503/20/2013

AZ and FL are full of fucktards, R14. This is hardly shocking news.

by Anonymousreply 1603/20/2013

R14 Just stop with the "Oh, dear" bullshit. It's not cute. Sorry, but the truth is AZ and FL are full of retired old people and we all know a lot of the older generation are Republicans who vote in these crazies that make these ridiculous laws.

by Anonymousreply 1703/20/2013

It's absurd. If there is a big imbalance of people waiting for one or the other restroom, it is madness to say you can't use the other.

by Anonymousreply 1803/20/2013

Then They Need To Provide 2 Other Bathrooms, 1 For People Who Identify As Male & Are Female & 1 For People Who Are Female Who Identify As Male, Jesus, What Do The Want These People To Do? Go In The Street Or Alley!!!

by Anonymousreply 2003/20/2013

arizonans are stupid cunts

by Anonymousreply 2103/20/2013

I am waiting for the bill to make it illegal to shake hands with the opposite sex. Just thinking about all the dried up sperm passed onto me from a guy makes me shiver.

by Anonymousreply 2303/21/2013

Arizona has elected some of the biggest wastes of life I've ever encountered.

Oh, and r22, you're doing a fine job of wrecking things yourself.

by Anonymousreply 2403/21/2013

Anyone remember that AZ elected Bruce Babbit as its governor. That must have been quite a deviation.

by Anonymousreply 2503/21/2013

R22, most people think, perhaps rightly so, that you are an idiot. Take your crap back to freeperland, located in AZ.

by Anonymousreply 2603/21/2013

What about small children going in with an opposite gendered parent? That's something that's gone on for many years and is just considered normal. They can't legislate against that.

by Anonymousreply 2704/03/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!