Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Can't they burn the catholics?

I don't like them.

by Anonymousreply 2703/22/2013

Are you Oliver Cromwell?

by Anonymousreply 203/19/2013

Funnily Catholics are the most gay friendly Christian group. Protestants(especially southern baptist) and Mormons are the real obstacle for the end of homophobia.

by Anonymousreply 303/20/2013

I'm not sure why people hate Catholics when other religions believe in the same things, or are against the same things. Why not burn all the Fundamentalist Protestants, the Mormons, and similar strict religions. I suspect a lot of Catholic hate is rooted in ethnic hate (as in, a lot of Latinos are Catholic, while fundy Protestants are more "white")

by Anonymousreply 403/20/2013

America's long history of anti-Catholic bigotry continues. Shine on you (38000 Protestant Denomination)"patriots"!

God bless...burn a convent, or a school....how about a hospital?!

by Anonymousreply 503/20/2013

r4 The US has a history of Catholic hatred. Originally it was an offshoot of anti-catholicism among British people. It also was because it was the religion of a lot of newer immigrants(Irish, Catholic).

I don't condone their sexism, homophobia, or promotion of not using condoms. But they are far nuttier than other religions.

by Anonymousreply 603/20/2013

[quote]only to engage in homosexual activity.

Does renting Les Miz count as homosexual activity?

by Anonymousreply 803/20/2013

Meh. All the Catholics I know are sinning heathens who enjoy the pomp and ceremony then go and do their own thing.

by Anonymousreply 903/20/2013

Burning heathens? That is so hot. I've got wood.

by Anonymousreply 1003/20/2013

I love Catholics, generally speaking. It's their church leadership that's the problem.

by Anonymousreply 1103/20/2013

I hate the jews too.

by Anonymousreply 1203/20/2013

I am, R2

by Anonymousreply 1303/20/2013

Has anyone else noticed how often the media seems to be calling Frank the Pope "a 'man' who" or "this 'man'" as if to overuse the word "man" more than some hip hop "artist". It must be that by saying Frannie is a man they are trying vainly to make it so, almost like if one says something enough it will give it truth; he does wear fancy, lacey dresses more than any woman I know.

by Anonymousreply 1403/20/2013

r5

by Anonymousreply 1503/20/2013

CAtholics are sheep

by Anonymousreply 1603/20/2013

r5 I agree. Just a hold-over of US anti-catholicism.

by Anonymousreply 1703/20/2013

I thought Episcopalians were the most gay-friendly Christian group.

by Anonymousreply 1803/20/2013

r18 I have been corrected. Either way, Mormons and Protestants get passes in the media and society that the Catholic church can't.

by Anonymousreply 1903/20/2013

[R7]

Right, so you can be gay but you aren't allowed to fall in love or live like normal people.

Regarding run of the mill Catholics, they stopped taking the teachings of their church seriously a long time ago. Just look at the polls. Most of them are pretty tolerant.

Now the clerical establishment on the other hand deserves every ounce of criticism and ridicule they receive.

by Anonymousreply 2003/20/2013

r3 --

I'm not entirely sure you understand what you're saying.

The Presbyterian Church, via their vote on 10A, has opened up the PCUSA for LGBT people.

Some branches of the Lutherans -- the ECLA specifically -- have also voted to be LGBT friendly.

And many Methodist congregations nationwide have voted to be "welcoming and affirming" -- their terminology of gay friendly.

All of the above now bless same sex weddings in their churches.

And, of course, there are various UU, UCC and Episcopal churches which celebrate LGBT people.

But the Catholic Church remains rooted in their medieval dogma. In fact the group Dignity -- which is an LGBT group worshiping "in the Catholic tradition" used to be able to meet in churches but was kicked out (on order form the pope!) and now celebrates mass in Episcopal churches.

So when you say that "Catholics are the most gay friendly group" I'm really not sure what you mean by that.

And just for the record, I am a died-in-the-wool atheist and think that ALL religion (in fact the entire concept of "faith") is unremittingly ridiculous. But many of the denominations mentioned above are facing schism in their organizations because some members have spoken up for LGBT civil rights ... except for the crazy papists.

It's blindingly true Catholics are no better on LGBT issues than the Southern Baptists and Mormons and, no offense intended, you’re fooling yourself if you think the Catholic Church is going to be the lead in any movement to treat the LGBT like human beings.

I think it's important to keep in mind that the new pope has stated that marriage equality is a plot from "The Father of Lies" and John Paul II, when asked if AIDS was a punishment from heaven, replied "It is not easy to know the mind of God."

by Anonymousreply 2103/20/2013

The majority of the countries that have made gay marriage legal are Catholic countries. Remember that.

The Catholic religion is a paradox: it is against liberal issues like abortion and homosexuality.... but also against the death penalty and war. And it teaches forgiveness and compassion.

by Anonymousreply 2203/20/2013

r22, that's called hypocrisy, not a pareadix, and you're thick as shit.

by Anonymousreply 2303/20/2013

r22 --

The majority of counties that have made gay marriage legal are countries which have managed to break away from whatever religion tradition they come from. (And I do think citizens of the UK would be interested to hear you calling GB a "Catholic country.")

And if the Catholic Church is so against the death penalty, why don't they deny communion and threaten excommunication to politicians who support it? They way they do with abortion.

You really are living in a dream world if you think that -- in any way -- the Catholic Church is ever going to be a leader on LGBT rights.

by Anonymousreply 2403/20/2013

When I was a kid, my mother told me that Catholics hang their pictures too high. She says many memorable things.

by Anonymousreply 2503/20/2013

he majority of counties that have made gay marriage legal are countries which have managed to break away from whatever religion tradition they come from. (And I do think citizens of the UK would be interested to hear you calling GB a "Catholic country.")

Holland, Belgium, Spain, Portugal, Argentina, Mexico and France all had gay marriage before your beloved GB. Catholic countries are nowhere near protestant & mormon strongholds like Alabama or Utah.

by Anonymousreply 2603/22/2013

Have you ever been to a Catholic mass before? They are forever jumping up and down during the services. Sit, sit and chill out.

by Anonymousreply 2703/22/2013
Need more help? Click Here.