Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Do you think the English make better actors?

Most of them are pretty damned good, even when they're playing American.

by Anonymousreply 1303/20/2013

They seem to be better actors on the whole, although that's probably part and parcel of the system the produces them. Any asshole can get off the Greyhound and fuck an L.A. producer.

by Anonymousreply 103/19/2013

yes

by Anonymousreply 203/19/2013

(Is it inevitable that so many threads lately are either bumps of ancient topics or new threads that look like someone is being paid a quarter for each lame attempt?)

How about it being true that many British actors continue to follow the excellent training programs available in the U.K., and they have more of a chance to gain experience in smaller projects over a period of time?

by Anonymousreply 303/19/2013

I think they tend to have trouble with emotions.

by Anonymousreply 403/19/2013

America gets the cream of the crop of British talent, only the best actors from the UK get parts in major films or television shows that Americans see. Not every minor character on Coronation Street or Eastenders is played by a Royal Shakespeare Company trained thespian.

by Anonymousreply 503/19/2013

No, they just work cheap.

by Anonymousreply 603/19/2013

Yes, I think the UK and Ireland produces superior actors.

by Anonymousreply 703/19/2013

They do a better American accent than Americans do a British accent.

by Anonymousreply 803/19/2013

Yes, and as said previously, it's all about their training.

by Anonymousreply 903/19/2013

r5 Is correct. The idea that the English or other foreigners are better actors is just an offshoot of the whole "foreigners are more sophisticated."

The UK produces lots of movies and TV shows that are just as bad as the US, but only the decent stuff is imported.

by Anonymousreply 1003/19/2013

The British have a lot of great actors; however, I find them a little "mannered" and "theatrical" at times. No one can beat the naturalness that American actors like Jeff Bridges, Debra Winger, Frances McDormand and Kathy Bates have.

by Anonymousreply 1103/19/2013

I think, in America, the focus is often on appearances rather than abilities. There are a lot of British actors that are not pretty like most of the American actors seem to be. Of course, there are always exceptions to the rule in both directions but, over here, prettiness will win out over talent every time.

by Anonymousreply 1203/20/2013

Certainly Stella Adler didn't think so.

by Anonymousreply 1303/20/2013
Need more help? Click Here.