Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

My first liver spot.

On my left hand. I'm only 49. I'm way too young to get these. ugh!

by Anonymousreply 4303/22/2013

No, you're not. And, blame the sun-- not your liver.

by Anonymousreply 103/19/2013

If it bothers you that much, go to a dermatologist and have it lightly frozen with liquid nitrogen.

It will then dry up and disappear.

by Anonymousreply 203/19/2013

You're thinking of OP's clit, R2.

by Anonymousreply 303/19/2013

You're 49 OP?! No you are not too young.

by Anonymousreply 403/19/2013

That's around the age when I started getting age spots too. Mine aren't liver colored, just like parts of my skin are getting tan while the rest of it isn't. Invest in some good sunscreen and see a dermatologist if it really starts bugging you.

by Anonymousreply 503/19/2013

Eventually all the dots connect and you look exactly like the black man you imagine is menacing you.

by Anonymousreply 603/19/2013

Seriously OP, if it bothers you, have a dermatologist treat it with liquid nitrogen.

One warning: The novocaine injections given pre-procedure were among the most painful experiences in my life. It's because you have no fat and very little muscle tissue on the back of your hand. You also will have a spot without pigment permanently, but that is easily covered with a touch of concealer to match your skin.

Good Luck and wear strong sunblock on your hands, especially when driving.

by Anonymousreply 703/19/2013

Vanishing cream?

by Anonymousreply 803/19/2013

Porcelana hon, Porcelana.

by Anonymousreply 903/19/2013

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

by Anonymousreply 1003/19/2013

I wish. There currently is not a medically prescribed bleaching cream strong enough to eradicate a sun(liver) spot. There are some high enough in hydroquinone to IMPROVE the appearance, but not at the cosmetics counter.

by Anonymousreply 1103/19/2013

Seriously, Nurse Ratchet? I used an Rx strength hydroquinone on splotchy freckles on my face and shoulders and was pretty happy with the quick results. What would be different about using the stuff on the hands?

by Anonymousreply 1203/19/2013

They eventually turn into seborrheic keratoses.

Yay!

----

Disagree about freezing them. I had two done several years ago and was with left white circles on the back of hands that are more unsightly than the age spots were.

Wish I hadn't done it and will NOT freeze any more.

Porcelana sounds interesting … might try it.

by Anonymousreply 1303/19/2013

First off, I am thrilled for you! Great results are always good to hear.

I could be wrong, but I was assuming when OP said "liver spot" he was speaking of actinic keratosis which usually is a bit more deep in color and "set in" than a freckle.

by Anonymousreply 1403/19/2013

My mom is 71 and has never had one. She's avoided the sun like the plague.

How common are these little buggers?

by Anonymousreply 1503/19/2013

49? It's time to give up.

No one's looking at you long enough to notice a liver spot.

by Anonymousreply 1603/19/2013

seborrheic keratoses are (IMHO) more difficult and unsightly. For one thing, one tends to pick at them occasionally which causes them to bleed.

[13] Don't mean to sound too bossy, but save your $$ on Porcelana or any OTC lightening potion. You simply must have a higher percent of hydroquinone.

by Anonymousreply 1703/19/2013

In the state of FL, they are epidemic due to all the golfers and just plain days in the sun.

But driving is a giant bugaboo too. Often folks find their left hand to be more spot prone for that very reason.

by Anonymousreply 1803/19/2013

OP, have we ever got a surprise for you!

by Anonymousreply 1903/19/2013

Try Ambi Fade Cream.

by Anonymousreply 2003/19/2013

Nurse Ratchet:

What about this therapy to get rid of age spots?

Recommend? See link.

If not, what about resection or amputation?

by Anonymousreply 2103/19/2013

When I was little, I asked my grandmother why she had ugly spots all over her hands?

by Anonymousreply 2203/19/2013

[21] Or just go the Madonna route and permanently affix gloves.

by Anonymousreply 2303/19/2013

Once you get the clumpy semen, liver spots will not bother you.

by Anonymousreply 2403/19/2013

Hairy ears and backs, clotted smelly yellow semen, age spots on hands and face, gray pubes, shrinkage of the dickage ….

Yesiree, this aging shit is a real trip, I tell you!

by Anonymousreply 2503/19/2013

Maybe you're lucky, OP, and it's cancer rather than a liver spot.

by Anonymousreply 2603/19/2013

Thank God I'm black

by Anonymousreply 2703/19/2013

yeah well, there's tinea versicolor for you OP.

Oh, excuse me, "acid" is what black people like to call it.

by Anonymousreply 2803/19/2013

I thought you used laser treatments to get rid of those. No?

Where did the term liver spots come from? It's horrible.

by Anonymousreply 2903/19/2013

Maybe the old "Carter's Little Liver Pills" coined the term in order to push their product?

by Anonymousreply 3003/19/2013

Tinea versicolor is not a "black" thing.

by Anonymousreply 3103/19/2013

Anyone who isn't wearing a sunscreen of at least 30 spf EVERY SINGLE DAY is a fool, and that include you, OP.

I'm forty-two and I live in Florida, and I've worn a sunscreen every day since I was a kid. I also use a prescription retinoid (Tazorac) nightly. (This, in combination with a 4% hydroquinine ointment, will eradicate your brownspot, OP.)

From the time I turned thirty-five, every eight months I have a fractionated CO2 laser treatment on my face, neck and hands. I'm not just doing this for vanity's sake, either. When I was thirty I was diagnosed with testicular cancer, and I decided then and there that I was never going through chemo again. There aren't sufficient words to describe how horrible it was.

I urge every last one of you to wear a sunscreen . . . and preferably a physical one.

by Anonymousreply 3203/19/2013

For the most part, it is!

When blacks call the office complaining of acid, I could save the Dr. some time and make the diagnosis right then and there.

by Anonymousreply 3303/19/2013

R33, what?

by Anonymousreply 3403/19/2013

Okay, I'll bite: I'm Black and haven't a clue as to what you're talking about when referring to "acid." I googled tinea versicolor (never having heard of it as well) and it, too, remains a mystery to me as I've never known anyone with the condition.

by Anonymousreply 3503/19/2013

uh, when asked... "What's the problem" ....

and we ask all patients this when they call to make sure a dermatologist is really what's needed...

They ALWAYS say acid on the back and shoulders.

If I could write a RX, I could save the dr and pt some time by just putting one in the mail.

by Anonymousreply 3603/19/2013

Get IPL treatment. Works and does not leave any mark. After use good sunscreen.

by Anonymousreply 3703/19/2013

What's IPL treatment?

by Anonymousreply 3803/20/2013

Intense Pulsed Light . . . works on the same principle as a laser. What you really want is the Genesis laser, which functions on a wavelength that will affect both red and brown areas of concern.

by Anonymousreply 3903/21/2013

How much....say for the top of the rt. hand?

by Anonymousreply 4003/21/2013

I need fatter hands; the tops stay alligatored unless I'm jerking off or gripping something.

by Anonymousreply 4103/22/2013

how do you get rid of the crepe paper skin that comes with age? is there any treatment that encourages collagen growth and makes the skin firm and flexible again?

by Anonymousreply 4203/22/2013

I love R6.

by Anonymousreply 4303/22/2013
Need more help? Click Here.