Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Unstable female director sets women directors back to Elaine May days

Doesn't show up for work on first day of Natalie Portman pic.

by Anonymousreply 10011/07/2013

What did Elaine May do?

by Anonymousreply 103/19/2013

I read Elaine May would hold on to a movie under the excuse that she was still editing it. Her perfectionism unfortunately doesn't translate into profits.

"We Need To Talk About Kevin" left me baffled. I usually like offbeat films but this was as schizophrenic as the (I think?) mother character. In the DVD extras, Ramsey came off as an odd bird. One of those people you can't tell is a genius or incompetent.

by Anonymousreply 203/19/2013

She made "Ishtar."

by Anonymousreply 303/19/2013

They say that she's difficult to work with.

by Anonymousreply 403/19/2013

I read the comments in the link, the director is a nightmare, I don't think she's set women back at all. Fassbender dropped out and now she's a no-show. They'll find another director soon enough.

by Anonymousreply 503/19/2013

That's what you get for that damn 'play or pay' shit.

by Anonymousreply 603/19/2013

I think unstable nails it OP.

by Anonymousreply 703/19/2013

Why should one woman set back all women? Why didn't George Bush set back all men for the job of Presidency?

Fuck that shit.

by Anonymousreply 803/19/2013

One of the comments under the article notes that we're hearing only half of the story. This film was supposed to go into production at the end of January. It's now mid March. In the meantime, Fassbender dropped out. There is more to this story than "a crazy woman director" dropping out of a project.

by Anonymousreply 1103/19/2013

Agree r11

by Anonymousreply 1203/19/2013

Nah, really...I'm just a selfish bitch.

by Anonymousreply 1303/19/2013

Supposedly it looks like Ramsay had a problem with Portman in the lead role. If true, it's ironic since Portman brought her on board so Portman looks bad too.

This is a nightmare scenario for sure. Only hack directors would step into someone else's vision of a film.

by Anonymousreply 1403/19/2013

It sounds like there were big problems between her and the producer. Of course we are only getting the producer's side right now. However, not showing up on the first day of shooting looks very very bad.

by Anonymousreply 1503/19/2013

Movern Callar was pretty good

by Anonymousreply 1603/19/2013

You are all so MEAN. I had a SCORCHING case of fibromyalgia!

by Anonymousreply 1703/19/2013

She lost whatever talent she might have exhibited early on.

We Need to Talk About Kevin was a piece of shit.

by Anonymousreply 1903/19/2013

people in the comments say she will never work again - do you think that's true?

by Anonymousreply 2003/19/2013

I am totally available and I can get Mel in for the price of a song!!

by Anonymousreply 2103/19/2013

I think it'll be difficult for her to get a US funded project off the ground, R20. However, one great film, regardless of where she makes it, and people will flock to work with her again.

I think she is a great director, a unique talent, and people will always want to work with her.

by Anonymousreply 2203/19/2013

Male directors can pull all sorts of unstable bullshit (and they do) because they're so hormonal and prone to fits of anger and fury. And, yet, they keep on working because their hormonal shit fits are what for men goes under the pseudonym of the "artistic process".

by Anonymousreply 2303/19/2013

This just in: Hitler sets all men back to stone age days!

by Anonymousreply 2403/19/2013

Love you, R24.

by Anonymousreply 2503/19/2013

The comments state that she might have been fired and the "walk off" was to have her save face. OP, you can go ahead and change your ass plug now.

by Anonymousreply 2603/19/2013

Actually she not available r21. She has a few lined up.

by Anonymousreply 2703/19/2013

If she was allowed to "walk off" the producer wouldn't be running to the press threatening to sue her.

by Anonymousreply 2803/19/2013

The producer sounds like a dick.

She'll work again, but it'll be what she's used to - her own stuff via the indie route.

by Anonymousreply 2903/19/2013

You hit the nail on the head R18.

by Anonymousreply 3003/19/2013

You make it sound like not showing up is a big deal. You probably think taking things from wardrobe is wrong, too.

by Anonymousreply 3103/19/2013

[r30]: by that logic, men are on perma-PMS.

by Anonymousreply 3203/19/2013

Fassbender leaving and then this a few days later seems odd.

by Anonymousreply 3303/19/2013

Please don't be Julie Taymor. Please don't be Julie Taymor. Please don't be Julie Taymor.

by Anonymousreply 3403/20/2013

[quote]Male directors can pull all sorts of unstable bullshit (and they do) because they're so hormonal and prone to fits of anger and fury. And, yet, they keep on working because their hormonal shit fits are what for men goes under the pseudonym of the "artistic process".

You have no idea what the fuck you're talking about. Name these male directors who simply don't show up the first day of an independently funded film, leaving hundreds of crew members left hanging?

She's selfish and unprofessional, no matter what her reasoning.

by Anonymousreply 3503/20/2013

I doubt that Ramsay is someone who would not show up on the first day of shoot without a good reason. She's smart enough to know the ramifications of such an act.

This is not a decision she made lightly, you can bet on that.

There is more to this story than what we've read so far.

And what does any of this have to do with her being a woman?

by Anonymousreply 3603/20/2013

from Deadline:

[quote]give me a break. enough. she had contractual outs in her contract that she exercised days in advance due to broken promises. the producers, including portman, knew this. the whole monday morning not showing up thing is a farce. i can’t believe that people would believe someone who actually goes on the record with deadline. i have been a pa on this set for the last 4 weeks and have seen this disaster play out. if you believe this story you believe that his daughter actually managed lynne. let’s move on.

by Anonymousreply 3703/20/2013

Why did Fassbender exit this project? Do we know?

by Anonymousreply 3803/20/2013

The official reason was scheduling, R38. He is doing the X-Men next and this project was postponed by seven weeks.

They hired Gavin O’Connor who called Samantha Morton "a fat pig," threw her out his trailer and fired her just before the filming started on one of his films.

Oh, and he directer Warrior. Nice fellow.

by Anonymousreply 3903/20/2013

Samantha Morton is also rumored to be difficult.

by Anonymousreply 4003/20/2013

It's funny that you posted that, R40, as a response to the abuse she got from Gavin O'Connor. I guess she deserved it, huh?

by Anonymousreply 4103/20/2013

She may have given as good as she got.

by Anonymousreply 4203/20/2013

Warrior was a really good movie.

by Anonymousreply 4303/20/2013

Rumor has it that Fassbender left after having a falling out with Ramsay.

by Anonymousreply 4403/20/2013

[quote]She may have given as good as she got.

She was fired before the film started shooting for being fat (according to O'Connor). I am not saying that she is not difficult in general, but I don't think this was the case here. And, by the way, O'Connor is known to be difficult.

by Anonymousreply 4503/20/2013

[quote]Rumor has it that Fassbender left after having a falling out with Ramsay.

Yeah, I think it's pretty clear that the producers are blaming everything on Lynne Ramsay at this point.

by Anonymousreply 4603/20/2013

[quote] I read Elaine May would hold on to a movie under the excuse that she was still editing it. Her perfectionism unfortunately doesn't translate into profits

OP you need to read up on non-female Kenneth Lonergan.

by Anonymousreply 4703/20/2013

[quote]Only hack directors would step into someone else's vision of a film.

Well, I did my best with 'Spartacus.' Spielberg ditto with 'A.I.' As for 'Napoleon', let's just say Steven remains ambitious.

by Anonymousreply 4803/20/2013

How is she "unstable" because she dropped out of the deal? There may be serious contract issues she couldn't compromise on.

by Anonymousreply 4903/20/2013

R49, so just not showing up on the first day is the professional way of handling it? Luckily the producers still paid the 150 crew members who DID show up.

by Anonymousreply 5003/20/2013

[quote]Typical self-centered, worthless female.

Well, tell us what happened, since you seem to know for sure that this was all due to Lynne Ramsay's being a worthless, selfish woman. How did this come about, then?

Go ahead, R51, we're waiting.

by Anonymousreply 5203/20/2013

The producers would not let me take off the appropriate time off during the day to go and pick up Jacob and Lily from school and take them to soccer practice. I will not work with autocrats who simply cannot bend the rules for me to take off four hours during a shoot. My children always come first!!

by Anonymousreply 5303/20/2013

Uh, does she even have children, R53?

by Anonymousreply 5403/20/2013

Well, well... Jude Law exits the picture.

What's his hormonal problem, OP?

[quote]Uh, does she even have children, [R53]?

She's married with a kid, but hardly a frau.

[quote]While the troubled independent feature Jane Got A Gun got a new director this morning in Gavin O’Connor, fallout continues from Monday’s abrupt exit of helmer Lynne Ramsay. I’m told that Jude Law has formally withdrawn from the film. It is because he signed on to work with Ramsay, best known for the edgy drama We Need To Talk About Kevin. The producers of Jane Got A Gun have tried to hold its cast together when Ramsay stepped out, and this is the second significant star to drop out in the past few weeks. Michael Fassbender also exited, ostensibly because of a scheduling clash with his upcoming X-Men movie; he was replaced by Joel Edgerton. The latter worked with O’Connor on Warrior, so I would imagine he’ll hang in, and the film’s star, Natalie Portman, is also a producer on the film. Ramsay has declined comment. I’ll tell you more when I hear it.

by Anonymousreply 5503/20/2013

Wouldn't Law have a contract? Can he just quit because of a change in director and when filming is ready to go?

by Anonymousreply 5603/20/2013

Some posters on Deadline are saying that the heads of department have walked along with Ramsay. These could be the production designer and the cinematographer.

by Anonymousreply 5703/20/2013

Wow R57, if that's the true, and Jude walked out because of no Ramsay, there's more here than just the producer's side of the story. Since when are producers the ones to believe anyway?

by Anonymousreply 5803/20/2013

If the producer on this was a woman and the director a man, OP's headline would be: Unstable female producer sets female producers back to Julia Phillips' days.

by Anonymousreply 5903/20/2013

Another update - seems the producer made his assistant send out emails imploring his friends/allies to comment in his favor at that deadline article.

Something stinks here. Deadline is known for not presenting a balanced view.

by Anonymousreply 6003/20/2013

R60, link to this "update"?

by Anonymousreply 6103/20/2013

Here you go, your douchiness...

by Anonymousreply 6203/20/2013

Requesting a link is douchiness?

Nah, not posting a link is.

by Anonymousreply 6303/20/2013

R61/63, putting the word update in quotation marks made it seem like you thought R69 made up the bit about the assistant. I could be wrong, but that's how I see it.

by Anonymousreply 6403/20/2013

I guess that assistant is now out of a job.

The whole movie sounds like a clusterfuck. Fassbender drops out, then Edgerton switches roles last minute, Jude Law comes in, Ramsay doesn't show up, now Law is out.

by Anonymousreply 6503/20/2013

I think Ramsay is genuine. I don't think it's her fault.

by Anonymousreply 6603/20/2013

It's a very strange twist that Ramsay is managed by the producer's daughter.

by Anonymousreply 6703/20/2013

Do you read that thing where she said "in this town, family comes first" and she is no longer her manager?

by Anonymousreply 6803/20/2013

The producer's daughter is 27 and already a manager to people like Lynne Ramsay (or used to be). I guess she climbed the ladder to success escalator style.

by Anonymousreply 6903/20/2013

Gavin is a better director, so they lucked out there. But there's too much drama around the movie, it might be difficult to find a decent replacement for Law.

by Anonymousreply 7003/21/2013

"Typical self-centered, worthless female."

You sound like a typical self-centered, worthless, misogynistic male. If you're gay, people loathe you not because you're gay but because you're a hateful douche.

by Anonymousreply 7103/21/2013

[quote]Gavin is a better director, so they lucked out there.

O'Connor is a very different type of filmmaker. In what he does, which is fairly commercial work, he is very successful. Ramsay is as creative and as intense as a filmmaker can be. Comparing these two is like comparing Spielberg to Haneke; two completely different worlds.

With so much money at stake were the producers really willing to let Ramsay run with her vision, which most likely wasn't going to be conventional? I mean, her next project, for which she already has funding, is a sci-fi adaptation of Moby Dick.

by Anonymousreply 7203/21/2013

I feel sorry for Lynne.

Everyone knows that producers can be hard to deal with at times.

Why did Fassdong drop out of the movie?

He's like Kirk Lazarus in Tropic Thunder.

by Anonymousreply 7303/21/2013

F&F for R74

by Anonymousreply 7503/21/2013

People like R51 post to provoke, R75. So, we should F&F both R51 and R74.

by Anonymousreply 7603/21/2013

I agree with the writer of this article. He may as well have included the OP of this thread.

[italic]Lynne Ramsay, and Why We Need to Talk About How We Talk About Female Directors

Anyone passingly interested in this sort of industry gossip will have no doubt heard by now that, on Monday morning in Santa Fe, director Lynne Ramsay (“We Need to Talk About Kevin”) declined to appear for the first day of production on her new film “Jane Got A Gun”, allegedly abandoning the 25 million dollar project and its 150 eager crew members in the process. This decidedly minor news item, though conspicuously light on both detail and corroboration, has already proven compelling to those most predisposed to casual indignation, circulating widely after Deadline broke the exclusive and commented upon extensively and ceaselessly by the web’s vocal peanut gallery since.

A common sentiment has recurred on both Twitter and the comments sections of the articles reporting the story, seemingly gaining in animosity with each passing day: Lynne Ramsay, by virtue of being a woman, has somehow made things harder for other female directors by her sudden—and as of yet unexplained—absenteeism, ruining not only her own chances of working in this town again but those who incidentally share her gender as well. The rhetoric is weirdly uniform in most cases: Ramsay is “hysterical”, “emotional”, “ungrateful”, and has “set female directors back 20 years”. One particularly noxious comment even describes Ramsay as “clearly”, written by somebody who is clearly an assh**e.

That wide swaths of the (overwhelmingly male) film-nerd public would flock to social media to express grossly misogynistic thoughts after the slightest opportunity presents itself is perhaps not so surprising. But what is surprising—and what’s much more disconcerting, given the circumstances—is how deeply and needlessly gendered the response to this story has been from professional journalists and news organizations. Leaving aside the somewhat unexpected shift in default editorial sympathies from the artist to her producer, the articles reporting this story have continued to lean on language tailored, at least implicitly, for gender-based condescension.

Pay close attention to the choice of words even in the original Deadline report: “Clearly there was drama the weekend before”. The word “drama”, much like the word “hysterical”, tends to surface only when men are in a position to describe the behaviour of women, and it’s highly unlikely in this case that Deadline would be inferring that “drama” unfolded if, say, Kenneth Lonergan had walked off-set in similar circumstances. This might sound like a minor sticking point, but it’s important: language like this informs the discussion to a remarkable degree, imposing a gendered reading of a situation that simply doesn’t require one. There is literally nothing about this story which implies “drama”—given the situation, it might be reasonable to assume that there exists a conflict between Ramsay and her producer, but “conflict” and “drama” are far from the same word. And the word is significant.[/italic]

by Anonymousreply 7703/21/2013

[italic]The fact is, we still know next to nothing about this situation beyond the grievances publicly aired by producer Scott Steindorff, whose statement—in which he describes himself as “shocked” and implicitly describes Ramsay as “insane”—has yet to be responded to, much less validated, by the other party. The fact that Steindorff’s word has practically been taken as iron-clad on this matter, by journalists as well as by those snidely weighing in, speaks volumes about the presumptions and suspicious many are all too anxious to see confirmed, but it’s a shame just to see such allegations accepted without a major asterisk and a healthy dose of the skepticism any brazen claim requires. So far all of these facts, such as they are, remain merely “alleged”, and it’s probably worth waiting to see what Ramsay or her representatives have to say about the matter before making a definitive judgement on the ethical basis of her actions. (One reason for the delay may be that Scott Steindorff daughter and Ramsay’s now-former manager, Jessica Steindorff, has dropped Ramsay as a client.)

Whatever the reason proves to be, though, is irrelevant to the overall tenor of the reportage, not to mention the content of much of the online backlash. Even the assumption, made by nearly every outlet covering this story, that this is the first case ever of a director simply not showing up for the first day of production is incorrect: Tony Kaye not only missed the first day when filming the project Marlon Brando hired him to direct, he missed several days before being unceremoniously fired. Though nobody, as far as I can recall, described his behaviour as hysterical or his actions as caused by “drama”. The point is not to what degree Lynne Ramsay is culpable in this case—not that it’s really the purview of bloggers to decide what is or is not ethical on a movie set anyway—but the degree to which our discussion of Lynne Ramsay’s actions, and in particular actions perceived to be damaging to her career, is steeped in the language of sexism and oppression, even if quite unintentionally. This story’s lede is not “female director causes drama”; it shouldn’t even be “female director leaves job”. We don’t tend to say “male director leaves job” in cases where this happens with men, to why bother with the gendered dimension here?[/italic]

by Anonymousreply 7803/21/2013

Jake Gyllenhaal, Tobey Maguire & Jeff Bridges Eyed To Replace Jude Law In 'Jane Got A Gun'

by Anonymousreply 7903/21/2013

Why does OP call the female director "unstable"? Every minute of every day unstable men with their unstable mostly aggressive and violent behavior make the lives of all of us miserable.

If anyone can be called "unstable" it is men.

You know what sets female directors "back", sexist attitudes like the one OP is foolishly and proudly posting.

by Anonymousreply 8003/21/2013

10 Famous Films That Were Abandoned by Their Directors:

by Anonymousreply 8103/22/2013

THR has a nice article on what went wrong with the movie. You either have Ramsay's version - that the production was chaotic from the get go, she was still waiting for an approved schedule, script and budget days before filming and those uncertainties affected her getting final cut of the movie. She apparently gave notice on Saturday, not Monday.

-Natalie Portman was kept in the dark about the problems and Ramsay's departure

-Shooting began on Thursday but there's still tons of problems with scheduling and delays.

Sounds like this movie will probably turn out awful.

by Anonymousreply 8203/22/2013

Serves that producer right. He sounds like an asshole. Scratch that he IS a lying asshole because he said she didn't show up on Monday when clearly she gave notice first. He also seems like a condescending douche. Was poor producer Natalie Portman too fragile to handle any of this news?! Wtf?

by Anonymousreply 8303/22/2013

Up-thread, I said Ramsay has kids, but as I went to search for that info on the internet I could not find anything to confirm that. I might have imagined it because of the Kevin movie.

by Anonymousreply 8403/22/2013

R74 is cranky after being fucked by a rusty, iron spiked dildo, covered in tetanus and tuberculosis and specks of the fecal matter of Donald Trump/

by Anonymousreply 8603/22/2013

r83 there were a couple of comments on both Deadline and THR re: this guy's "vague connections" and "Vegas money".

I tended to believe them because they were on both websites with both sides represented.

Apparently, he's not the best guy to deal with for something like this. If so, I'm surprised someone in Portman's camp didn't steer her away from this guy. She's moved heaven and earth for her image before.

by Anonymousreply 8703/23/2013

I agree with the posters calling out the misogyny on this.

All the 'this is just unprofessional, she'll never work again' comments on the trade sites are solely gender based.

There are many, many male directors who handle hundreds of millions of dollars down to indie level budgets who are literally 100X worse that Ramsay.

Not only are they lauded, they keep getting work.

by Anonymousreply 8803/23/2013

The Guardian is saying Ramsay is still in the US waiting to decide how to respond to the backlash.

The same article melodramatically states that Ramsay and Portman clashed, which seems to be another unsubstantiated rumor, and that Swinton and McGarvey are holding Lynne's hand in support... it all reads a bit like something you'd read in People magazine.

by Anonymousreply 8903/23/2013

It just sounds like a terrible situation. The thing that people don't realize is that making movies is such bullshit. Constant bullshit from everywhere. Usually people either cave in to the biggest asshole, or if they're lucky they're able to find an asshole who will align with their vision and be their shield against all the other assholes. When a situation gets this bad on a studio film, the studio will do the firing and likely this kind of situation would not have played out so close to start date. But now that so many films are financed independently with foreign presales or other financiers, that there's really no one to take charge of a situation like this.

It's a miracle anything gets made at all.

by Anonymousreply 9003/23/2013

The misogyny on this thread is off the charts shameful. The first I heard of this was the THR story the other day (not shit-stirrer Nicki Finke) which thankfully gets posted at R82.

Lynne Ramsey is a brilliant film maker from Ratcatcher to Morvern Callar to We Need To Talk About Kevin. The only reason Fassbender and Law were ever signed on to this project was because of Ramsey.

The thing to remember here is that Ramsey has already had her share of film making hell. After spending 4 years developing, writing and prepping her adaptation of Alice Seybold's The Lovely Bones she was unceremoniously let go just because Peter Jackson - at the height of LOTR's success - decided he wanted to direct it. (We all know how that turned out. The Flavorwire link above describes it as "reviled." And what a terrible thing to do to another director.)

Bones was to be her third film and it would take her a long time to recover from the devastation she felt after an investment of passion was thwarted by another filmmaker. Years. Note that Movern Callar, starring Samantha Morton, was released in 2002; her follow-up, Kevin, was released in 2011. That's an entire decade of this once young, always acclaimed, director wasted on film industry bullshit.

Lynne Ramsay, as much as anyone, has the right to protect herself from bullshit, harm and abuse. I'm sure she stayed with this project, in good faith, for as long as she could but she clearly was not being supported by the producer who hired her, which makes little sense. Why hire Lynne Ramsay, by now a known quantity in the film industry, if you don't want a Lynne Ramsay film?

Ultimately, surviving in the film industry, stage and other creative industries is about finding and developing like-minded people who work the way you like to work. It's such a shame that it happens so rarely. As an actor, I'd rather work with Ramsay, Morton, Swinton and Ezra Miller anyday over most other film makers.

by Anonymousreply 9103/24/2013

Yes, but does her pussy stink?

by Anonymousreply 9203/24/2013

the misogyny on this thread is particularly hilarious considering that the trolls spouting it have made how many movies exactly?

by Anonymousreply 9303/24/2013

Deadline is reporting that Bradley Cooper is replacing Jude Law. Which is interesting because Cooper is currently filming another movie in Boston.

Also, according to some of the comments, Natalie Portman has yet to even arrive on set.

by Anonymousreply 9404/05/2013

He tried to ruin her reputation. What an ass.

by Anonymousreply 9504/05/2013

Natalie Portman is so uncharismatic that I worry that this was doomed from the start.

by Anonymousreply 9604/05/2013

So now Bradley Cooper dropped out for "scheduling conflicts."

And apparently the film is in a 'planned shutdown' although there are some who are saying it's just spin and the movie is just an out of control clusterfuck.

Has anybody else been following this soap opera?

by Anonymousreply 9705/04/2013

I heard Ramsay dropped out because she didn't like Portman's changes to the script.

Does anyone, aside Portman's agents/asskissers, believe that she can write/produce/act in a film?

by Anonymousreply 9805/04/2013

Yes, R97, it does seem like a massive disaster. The original writer was also recently fired. No doubt, the replacement director wanted to do his own rewrites as he's functioned in the past primarily as a writer/director.

by Anonymousreply 9905/05/2013

So the producers are suing Lynne Ramsay and alleging she was drunk, mean, and dangerous on the set. No surprise there, the producer dude sounds like an asshole of the highest order and seems intent on destroying this woman.

What I'm more interested in is that some of the crew are calling these allegations outright lies. Indeed some of the heads of the departments also left the movie in solidarity to the director.

So, anyone here have the scoop?

by Anonymousreply 10011/07/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!