Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Performances by actors that left you in awe?

The once-in-a-career, "I can't believe s/he just put all that out there," gut-wrenching performances.

For me, MoNique in "Precious," Ellen Burstyn in "Requiem for a Dream" and Jessica Lange in, of all places, the past two seasons of "American Horror Story."

Maybe Anne Hathaway in "Les Miserables" and Charlize in "Monster."

by Anonymousreply 47902/28/2014

Michael Fassbender - Hunger, Shame Leo DiCaprio - What's Eating Gilbert Grape

by Anonymousreply 203/19/2013

It wasn't gut wrenching, but I saw David Hyde Pierce in Curtains and thought, "there is a man who LOVES what he does for a living."

by Anonymousreply 303/19/2013

Forget the name of the actress - but the women who portrayed "Vera Drake" Flawless performance.

by Anonymousreply 403/19/2013

Catherine Burns in "Last Summer." That big monologue of hers pretty much still haunts me.

Mo'Nique's final moments in "Precious" are some of the most powerful pieces of acting I've ever seen. Definitely one of the top ten winners of that category.

Susannah York in "They Shoot Horses, Don't They?" gutted me at the time, especially her image reflected in the shower head.

by Anonymousreply 503/19/2013

Cherry Jones - THE HEIRESS and BALTIMORE WALTZ

by Anonymousreply 603/19/2013

Debbie Reynolds - "The Unsinkable Molly Brown"

by Anonymousreply 703/19/2013

Jessica Lange in "Frances." Saw it again recently and was struck by how mediocre the script was, and how incredible Lange was throughout -- she was in her thirties and played a 16-year-old girl flawlessly.

by Anonymousreply 803/19/2013

[quote]Mo'Nique's final moments in "Precious" are some of the most powerful pieces of acting I've ever seen. Definitely one of the top ten winners of that category.

Agree. The "Who's gonna love me" speech, heart-wrenching.

by Anonymousreply 903/19/2013

Sandra Bullock as Nell Harper Lee

by Anonymousreply 1003/19/2013

r2, DiCaprio was soo good in that. So young and so good.

by Anonymousreply 1103/19/2013

Wow, we'll actually have two votes for Anne Hathaway.

Her performance in "Brokeback Mountain" where she answers Ennis' call and coldly explains that Jack is dead just blew me away. So many emotions visible beneath the surface: pain, resentment, anger, jealousy, sympathy, sadness, cynicism, exhaustion, but she's just giving the simple run-down of what happened, even though she knows it's not true (that Jack was gay-bashed, and Ennis is a former lover).

Now flame away, DL. Feel your anger.

by Anonymousreply 1203/19/2013

I guess it would have to be Ellen Burstyn in that drug movie, Requiem for a Dream.

[quote]Catherine Burns in "Last Summer."

Wow! Haven't thought of that movie in a while. Isn't that the one where Barbara Hershey felt the soul of a dead seagull enter her body, hence her renaming herself Barbara Seagull?

by Anonymousreply 1303/19/2013

Ulrich Mühe in "The Lives of Others"

Daniel Day Lewis in "My Left Foot"

Juliette Binoche in "Three Colours: Blue"

by Anonymousreply 1403/19/2013

R4, Imelda Staunton

by Anonymousreply 1503/19/2013

Charlize Theron "Monster"; Michelle Williams "Wendy & Lucy"; Laura Dern "Enlightened"; Melissa Leo "Red State".

by Anonymousreply 1603/19/2013

Michelle was better than Anne in Brokeback.

Anne's most provocative role is Havoc.

by Anonymousreply 1703/19/2013

Liam Neeson in Schindler's List

Lana Turner in Madame X at the end when they ask her about her son and the way she says "I wasn't fit!".

Marlon Brando captured the Mafia don, also Sonny, Michael and Tom Hagen.

Jessica Tandy as the southern lady and Morgan Freeman both nailed their genteel roles in "Driving Miss Daisy".

by Anonymousreply 1803/19/2013

Judy Garland in A Star is Born.

by Anonymousreply 1903/19/2013

Klaus Kinsky in Aguirre, The Wrath of God.

by Anonymousreply 2003/19/2013

Emmanuelle Riva - Amour

Morgan Freeman - Lean on Me

by Anonymousreply 2103/19/2013

Heath Ledger. A master thespian such as he comes along only once every other millenium. We were blessed to see the likes.

(rolls eyes)

by Anonymousreply 2203/19/2013

Nicole Kidman in "The Hours"

Christopher Plummer and Helen Mirren in "The Last Station"

by Anonymousreply 2303/19/2013

Joseph Gordon Levitt- Mysterious Skin

by Anonymousreply 2403/19/2013

Coral Browne in "Dreamchild."

Lynn Redgrave in that great small scene with Liam Neeson at the end of "Kinsey."

Julianne Moore in "Safe" (another great final scene--actually, there are two of them: the scene where she's called to make the short speech to everyone, and the scene right after where she stands in front of the mirror and talks to her reflection).

Daniel Day-Lewis in "Lincoln" (it really did blow me away, and was much less over-the-top than his work in "There Will be Blood")

Olivia de Havilland and Ralph Richardson both in "The Heiress"

by Anonymousreply 2503/19/2013

Stage: Vanessa Redgrave, Long Day's Journey Into Night Zoe Wanamaker, Electra Mark Rylance, Jerusalem Christine Ebersole, Grey Gardens

Film: Charlize Theron, Monster Jessica Lange, Frances Meryl Streep, A Cry In the Dark Marlon Brando, A Streetcar Named Desire Emily Watson, Breaking the Waves Brenda Blethyn, Secrets and Lies Peter Finch, Network Daniel Day-Lewis, There Will Be Blood Michael Fassbinder, Shame

by Anonymousreply 2603/19/2013

I saw Ben Kingsley on stage in Edmund Kean. One man on a stage for 90 minutes and It was the single most amazing performance I have ever seen. It's hard to indulge bad acting after you've experienced something like that.

by Anonymousreply 2703/19/2013

James Gandolfini in THE SOPRANOS. 100% in control of what he allowed us to see, and he never once gave into the temptation to stand outside and be smarter than the animal he was playing.

by Anonymousreply 2803/19/2013

OP, I have to agree with Jessica Lange. "The Name Game" in American Horror Story was simply fantastic.

Clip of the title scene.

by Anonymousreply 2903/19/2013

Emma Thompson in Howard's End

A class on acting from beginning to end

Deserved that oscar!!!!

by Anonymousreply 3103/19/2013

Adrian Brody in The Pianist. A beautiful movie about a horrid time in history. He is just remarkable.

by Anonymousreply 3203/19/2013

Have to second Laura Dern in "Enlightened" that character just resonates for me and that show is truly underlooked and unappreciated! Genius Mike White!

by Anonymousreply 3303/19/2013

Bjork in Dancer in the Dark.

by Anonymousreply 3403/19/2013

R26

Glad to see someone else has Brenda Blethyn's performance from Secrets & Lies on here. She was amazing. Even more amazing considering the film was unscripted.

She was robbed an Academy Award... just another reason to hate Frances McDormand.

by Anonymousreply 3503/19/2013

Laura Dern in "Inland Empire"

by Anonymousreply 3603/19/2013

That scene sank or swam entirely with her, r29. That felt like dare-devil acting.

Also, the night of the movie screening at the asylum, when she makes the drunk speech, that was the single most convincing "drunk" portrayal I've ever seen.

She had so little to work with to make that cunty, abusive nun a sympathetic character. With the exception of her blatant feminism, she's a bad guy the first half of the season, right? A self-righteous, judgmental prude and a hypocritical liar who beats the living shit out of people. Then she makes this speech about a squirrel, and the whole character pivots, at least for me. I was amazed when I saw it.

by Anonymousreply 3703/19/2013

I'm sick of discussing Heath Ledger, but since you asked, OP... Heath in Brokeback now and forever.

Agree about "Wendy and Lucy." That was literally jaw-dropping. I couldn't believe what I was seeing during the final scene. Stayed with me for days.

by Anonymousreply 3803/19/2013

I'll add: Naomi Watts in "Mulholland Drive" -- holy shit, was she incredible. Best performance in a David Lynch movie ever.

by Anonymousreply 3903/19/2013

Jane Horrocks in "Little Voice"

by Anonymousreply 4003/19/2013

Don't laugh but there was a time when Robert Downey Jr was brilliant in everything he did. Even if the movie was mediocre he was still brilliant. I don't know anymore because I haven't seen anything he's done in years.

by Anonymousreply 4103/19/2013

Diana Ross in Lady Sings The Blues. She played a heroin addict that looked so real.

Jessica Lange in Frances. The bathroom scene was brilliant.

Was blown away with Heath Ledger in Brokeback Mountain. I always thought Heath was just a pretty boy, until I saw him in Monster's Ball.

Jane Fonda in They Shoot Horses, Don't They? Still her best performance ever in film.

Leonardo DiCaprio in What's Eating Gilbert Grape. I was not familiar with Leo, and thought he was really handicapped. Also, the scene in The Basketball Diaries where Leo is begging his mother to come into the house.

by Anonymousreply 4203/19/2013

Roseanne in the scene where she's reading a note she wrote to her dad when she's by his coffin.

Cher in "Mask" when her parents are coming home and she's just sitting there staring stoned on heroin.

by Anonymousreply 4303/19/2013

Katharine Hepburn...Long Day's Journey Into Night. Amazing!

by Anonymousreply 4403/19/2013

I had a whole new appreciation for Jack Lemmon after seeing him in Glengarry Glen Ross.

by Anonymousreply 4503/19/2013

Albert Finney: Saturday Night and Sunday Morning.

Susan Hayward: I Want to Live.

Robert DeNiro: Raging Bull.

by Anonymousreply 4603/19/2013

George C. Scott as Patton.

by Anonymousreply 4703/19/2013

agree with r28. great great performance by James G.

by Anonymousreply 4803/19/2013

I'm shocked nobody has mentioned Hilary Sawnk in Boys Don't Cry.

It is the greatest performance by a female in the history of cinema!

Hands down!

by Anonymousreply 4903/19/2013

Monique in Precious & Ellen Burstyn in Resurrection (sp?). Both were excellent....especially in the final moments of both films. Chilling....

by Anonymousreply 5003/19/2013

The Last King of Scotland - Forest Whitaker

Rooney Mara in Girl With The Dragon Tattoo

Sean Penn in I am Sam

Marion Cotillard in La Vie en Rose

Angela Basset in What's Love Got To DO With It

Heath Ledger in Batman

Al Pacino in Scarface

by Anonymousreply 5103/19/2013

Eastern Promises - Viggo Mortenssen

by Anonymousreply 5203/19/2013

[quote]Roseanne in the scene where she's reading a note she wrote to her dad when she's by his coffin.

I agree 100%. As crazy and unpleasant as she can be as a celebrity, she's a fantastic actor.

by Anonymousreply 5303/19/2013

Anthony Hopkins as Hannibal Lecter

by Anonymousreply 5403/19/2013

Russel Crowe as Gladiator

by Anonymousreply 5503/19/2013

SJP in Sex and the City:

The way she talked, laughed, cried, and moved on two legs like a human..hmm.. I was in awe.

by Anonymousreply 5603/19/2013

Bo Derek in Tommy Boy. WOW THAT WAS AWESOME.

by Anonymousreply 5803/19/2013

Mo'Nique is a good choice.

Felicity Huffman in Transamerica

Lee Pace in Soldier's Girl

Charlize Theron in Monster

Jennifer Lawrence in Winter's Bone

by Anonymousreply 5903/19/2013

Jodie in The Accused, Contact, Silence of the Lambs, and The Little Girl Who Lives Down the Lane.

by Anonymousreply 6003/19/2013

Meryl Streep in Sophie's Choice

A stunning performance.

by Anonymousreply 6103/19/2013

Anne Bancroft as Anne Sullivan in The Miracle Worker

Linda Blair as Regan MacNeil in The Exorcist

Meryl in Sophie's Choice

by Anonymousreply 6203/19/2013

[quote]"I can't believe s/he just put all that out there," gut-wrenching performances.

The only performance that fits that description is Dawson's in "Dawson's 50-Load Weekend."

by Anonymousreply 6303/19/2013

Kristen Stewarat in Panic Room

Kristen Stewart in Adventureland

Kristen Stewart in In the Land of Women

Kristen Stewart in Cold Creek Manor

Kristen Stewart in Twilight

by Anonymousreply 6403/19/2013

R41, when I was a kid, I thought RDJ was brilliant in "Less Than Zero," playing the spoiled, over-privileged junkie. Turns out he wasn't really acting.

by Anonymousreply 6503/19/2013

Giulietta Masina - "La Strada"

Charlize Theron - "Monster"

by Anonymousreply 6603/19/2013

F. Murray Abraham in Amadeus

by Anonymousreply 6703/19/2013

De Niro in Godfather 2 -- the way he created and recreated an entire character we already knew well.

Cate Blanchette in Elizabeth -- she was kind of frightening by the end.

by Anonymousreply 6803/19/2013

The Experiment - Forest Whitaker

I never understood the big deal with him as an actor until I saw this. In the story this shadowy group sets up a modern day version of the Stanford Prison Experiment. Whitaker's character is a soft-spoken cowed seemingly gentle-hearted soul who signs up for the experiment (he needs the money) and he is assigned to be a prison guard.

As in the real-life experiment, the guards eventually begin to become more and more cruel in their treatment of the prisoners, but this time no one steps in to stop them. The once soft-spoken repressed Whitaker seems to awaken.

He enjoys the cruelty, so much so that he becomes hard once he is alone thinking about the cruelty he administered. He begins relishing in it, becoming the cruelest and most brutal in the group. Whitaker is a revelation. You can literally see him awaking, in this new environment. As if this was who he always was, but he could only become it in this setting.

You will get chills up your spine from his performance.

by Anonymousreply 6903/19/2013

Tovah Feldshuh in Kissing Jessica Stein. Her three minute, uninterrupted, one-take monologue to her lesbian daughter is a stunningly honest, humorous and heartbreaking acting tour de force.

by Anonymousreply 7003/19/2013

I just wanted to say that Cam Gigandet is in it, and while he is nothing special generally, I think he gives his best performane in this movie.

He plays a jock type dude who spends the first part of the movie bragging about all the women he's had sex with, obviously overcompensating. We see why later, he gets assigned to be a guard, and goes along with the brutality of the other guards. He's reveled to be a repressed gay man, but it's not the best setting for this to happen because he becomes cruel like some of the other guards and channels his repression in a negative way, eventually trying to rape one of the male volunteers playing a prisoner.

by Anonymousreply 7103/19/2013

I know she's done a lot of mediocre work in later years (and said stupid things on The View), but Whoopi Goldberg was astonishing in both her one woman Broadway show....

....and especially as Celie in The Color Purple. She managed a balancing act perfectly, making Celie weak, then strong without making her look stupid. Her showdown with Mister, and her scenes with her sister and children, are boldly and nakedly emotional and beautifully done.

by Anonymousreply 7203/19/2013

Glenda Jackson in "Elizabeth R". Greatest performance of the entire 20th century.

by Anonymousreply 7303/19/2013

Stanwyck in Double Indemnity

by Anonymousreply 7403/19/2013

Jim Nabors in Gomer Pyle.

by Anonymousreply 7503/19/2013

Wendy Hiller in "Pygmalion," showing that you don't have to stab yourself and scream to show character development and transcendent understanding.

by Anonymousreply 7603/19/2013

River Phoenix in "Running on Empty"

by Anonymousreply 7703/19/2013

Agree, R69, totally on the Whitaker bandwagon. His performance (although small screen) in The Shield was one of the most infuriatingly vile characters I have ever seen. Incredible depth under those understated facial expressions.

I thought Javier Bardem was nothing short of amazing in Biutiful, and terrifying in No Country for Old Men.

by Anonymousreply 7803/19/2013

I agree with op except I didn't see Anne Hathaway.

by Anonymousreply 7903/19/2013

Some of these performances aren't gut-wrenching, just disciplined and controlled.

by Anonymousreply 8003/19/2013

Another vote for Naomi Watts in Mulholland Drive... perfection in every way.

by Anonymousreply 8103/19/2013

Abigail Breslin - The Call

by Anonymousreply 8203/19/2013

Abbie Cornish in "Bright Star" and Maggie Smith in "The Lonely Passion of Judith Hearne"

by Anonymousreply 8303/19/2013

Amy Jo Johnson in Killing Mr. Griffin

by Anonymousreply 8403/19/2013

Nathan Lane was so great on stage as Max Bialystock in THE PRODUCERS as to make you forget all about Zero Mostel's turn in the same role.

by Anonymousreply 8503/19/2013

R5. Catherine burns!!!!!!!! My goodness a bald from the past. I remember gopher from LOL she was Cathy Craig. I recall seeing her too in red sky at morning.

by Anonymousreply 8603/19/2013

Isadora Burnwood as Minny in Minny and Miranda.

by Anonymousreply 8703/19/2013

Mooriah Carey in Glitter

by Anonymousreply 8803/19/2013

Agree with most of these. The Rooney Mara made me groan though.

My votes are:

Clive Owen in Closer. Simply amazing, and I still can't believe Morgan Freeman stole his Oscar.

And since she has so many votes for Monster, I'll say Charlize Theron in Young Adult. The screenplay was not out to make Mavis a martyr, and Charlize still made your heart break for such a terrible person. A great display of skill on her part, and in my opinion, makes up for her lackluster post-Monster career.

by Anonymousreply 9003/19/2013

Brando in WATERFRONT

In this case, the hype is true: greatest acting performance ever onscreen.

Jane Fonda in KLUTE

Streep in SOPHIE'S CHOICE

I assume by "gut-wrenching" you mean emotionally harrowing.

Liv Ullman in SCENES FROM A MARRIAGE

Imelda Staunton in VERA DRAKE - particularly the moment she realizes she's actually been doing something wrong: that close-up

Cicely Tyson in SOUNDER, especially when she sees her husband coming home

Onstage:

Elaine Stritch in A DELICATE BALANCE. Trust me, it's true. She was awesome: hilarious and tragic at the same time.

Elizabeth Franz in DEATH OF A SALESMAN, the Robert Falls revival with Brian Dennehy and Kevin Anderson. Franz was heartbreaking. A gorgeous performance.

Raul Esparza singing "Marry Me a Little" and "Being Alive" John Doyle's COMPANY; Paulo Szot singing "This Nearly Was Mine" at Lincoln Center's SOUTH PACIFIC; and Patti Lupone doing "Everything's Coming Up Roses" and "Rose's Turn" in the Laurents GYPSY revival. These musical performances were without question the most moving things I've seen onstage in the past ten years.

by Anonymousreply 9103/19/2013

Sam Rockwell in Moon, The Winning Season and Confessions Of A Dangerous Mind

Javier Bardem in Before Night Falls, Mondays In The Sun and The Sea Inside

Philip Seymour Hoffman in The Master and Boogie Nights

Viola Davis in Doubt and Fences

Judi Dench in Iris and Ms Brown

Michelle Williams in My Week With Marilyn and Blue Valentine (along with Gosling)

RDJ in Kiss Kiss Bang Bang, Tropic Thunder and Chaplin (although the movie was boring)

Denis Lavant in Holy Motors

Toni Colette in Emma and The Hours

Gwyneth Paltrow in Hard Eight

Ben Mendelsohn in Animal Kingdom

Andrew Garfield and Carey Mulligan in Never Let Me Go. Carey was also great in Drive and Shame

DDL and Paul Dano in There Will Be Blood

by Anonymousreply 9203/19/2013

r92, you have good taste.

by Anonymousreply 9303/19/2013

Ryan Gosling in Half Nelson, and almost half a dozen other movies, but I would say that's his best.

by Anonymousreply 9403/19/2013

Brenda Blethyn in "Secrets and Lies"

Charlize Theron in "Monster"

Viola Davis in "Doubt"

by Anonymousreply 9503/19/2013

Jeez, I need to catch up on my movie watching.

by Anonymousreply 9603/19/2013

Some of you are listing typical okay performances, OP asks for performances that left you in awe, a la DDL in TWBB.

Seriously Naomi Watts performance in Mulholland Drive left you in awe?!?!

by Anonymousreply 9703/19/2013

R93 Oh, Thank You :-)

by Anonymousreply 9803/19/2013

Michelle Williams in My Week With Marilyn and Blue Valentine (along with Gosling)

by Anonymousreply 9903/19/2013

r92, Paul Dano is a big nothing.

Ryan Gosling is wonderful in that bad movie he made with Michelle Williams, and for which inexplicably she got all the praise.

I would go with Denis Lavant in HOLY MOTORS. Also Jean-Luis Trintignant in AMOUR, for which she got all the praise he deserved.

But I don't know that you all are playing by the rules: you're supposed to be picking performances that are emotionally devastating, that leave you wrung out and overwhelmed.

Javier Bardem! Yes, okay. My favorite French actor currently is Mathieu Amalric, who is an emotional whirlwind, and who is fearlessly self-exposing, both literally and figuratively.

I have found Isuzu Yamada to be quite devastating in Naruse's FLOWING and Kurosawa's THRONE OF BLOOD.

by Anonymousreply 10003/19/2013

Julianne Moore in Magnolia.

Michelle Pfeiffer in The Fabulous Baker Boys.

by Anonymousreply 10103/19/2013

YOUR OPINIONS ARE WRONG AND MINE ARE RIGHT!!!!

by Anonymousreply 10203/19/2013

Thank you for understanding me, r102.

But surely you agree that people are simply listing performances they thought were impressive, rather than thinking about specific performances that they found emotionally harrowing, devastating, draining, exhilarating - where an actor went way out there, and ripped her and or his and or your guts out. I think that's what "gut-wrenching" means.

by Anonymousreply 10303/19/2013

Yeah, Ryan Gosling was a revelation in Half Nelson.

by Anonymousreply 10403/19/2013

Like the Academy, this thread overlooks comedic performances, which many actors believe to be more difficult than dramatic performances. How about Dustin Hoffman in Tootsie? Marilyn Monroe in Some Like It Hot? Peter Sellers in Dr. Strangelove?

by Anonymousreply 10503/19/2013

R100

Paul Dano was great in There will be Blood. He survived DDLs crazy method acting, btw! Dano was also great in Little Miss Sunshine.

Blue Valentine was a great movie!

Jean-Luis Trintignant was great in Amour, I agree.

by Anonymousreply 10603/19/2013

Dawson's volume never ceases to amaze me.

by Anonymousreply 10703/19/2013

The Thorn Birds circa 1974. Richard Chamberlain as Father Ralph de Bricassart when he learns Dane is his son.

by Anonymousreply 10803/19/2013

r106, I'm missing the enzyme that allows me to process Paul Dano. Did you see that dreadful film where he played the guy who wrote himself a girlfriend? Ugh. The horror.

r105, yes! Forgive my lapse. Peter Sellers's performance in DR. STRANGELOVE is one of the most amazing of all time. He is strangely deeply moving as Strangelove, in particular. But also hilarious.

And Marilyn Monroe is brilliant in THE MISFITS. She was so under-rated while she was alive. She's also really touching in SOME LIKE IT HOT. And of course Jack Lemmon's performance in that film should go on any list of gut-wrenching greats. Laughter can be gut-wrenching!

by Anonymousreply 10903/19/2013

Jane Fonda in Klute--she was the real heiress to the legacy of Davis, Stanwyck, and Hepburn.

by Anonymousreply 11003/19/2013

r101, I love Julianne Moore, but she's terrible in MAGNOLIA. It's not her fault - the film doesn't work, and she has clearly been directed to start at full steam and never stop. She has reached her peak at the beginning of her performance, and she has nowhere to go.

Philip Seymour Hoffman is a gut-wrenching actor when he's not playing mute-and-depressed. That movie where he huffs gasoline because his wife killed herself! Help me. But he's sublime in both BOOGIE NIGHTS ("I'm an idiot, I'm a fucking idiot") and THE MASTER.

by Anonymousreply 11103/19/2013

[quote]Paul Dano was great in There will be Blood. He survived DDLs crazy method acting, btw! Dano was also great in Little Miss Sunshine.

They say that their is a madness to Daniel Day Lewis' method acting.

by Anonymousreply 11203/19/2013

Marilyn Monroe in Bus Stop..her best performance ever!

by Anonymousreply 11303/19/2013

Rebecca De Mornay in The Hand That Rocks the Cradle. She changed her expressions in a second to go from sweet nanny to merciless avenger. Stunning acting. I loudly cheered every time she got more revenge on the wife shrew who had destroyed Rebecca's life.

by Anonymousreply 11403/19/2013

[quote] I love Julianne Moore, but she's terrible in MAGNOLIA.

For me her masterpiece is Far from Heaven, but it's not a big, showy performance.

The devastation is in her discipline, and the very small amount that she shows....and that the genie has to go back into the bottle. The simple act of showing the scarf at the end was utterly devastating.

I also agree with Brenda Blethyn in Secrets and Lies. She can chew scenery and has in other movies, but she was exquisite in S&L.

Although I don't remember her name, the lead in Almodovar's All About My Mother also stayed with me for days after. Hell, everyone in that movie did.

by Anonymousreply 11503/19/2013

Emily Watson in Breaking the Waves.

by Anonymousreply 11603/19/2013

Julianne Moore was great in Boogie Nights!

by Anonymousreply 11703/19/2013

Will someone be such a kind person to tally up the submissions and come out with a Top 3??

by Anonymousreply 11803/19/2013

R111: You and I seem to have similar taste, but I respectfully disagree about Moore's performance in Magnolia. The pharmacy scene gets me every time.

by Anonymousreply 11903/19/2013

Rosie Perez - Fearless

Sigourney Weaver - Death and the Maiden, Aliens

Michelle Pfieffer - Batman Returns

Jack Nicholson - Five Easy Pieces

Mia Farrow - Rosemary's Baby, The Purple Rose of Cairo

Kinuyo Tanaka - The Life of Oharu

Toshiro Mifune - The Seven Samurai

Victor Sjöström - Wild Strawberries

by Anonymousreply 12003/19/2013

Tommy Wiseau in The Room.

Devastatingly brilliant.

by Anonymousreply 12103/19/2013

Giovanni Ribisi - The Gift

Reese Witherspoon - Freeway

by Anonymousreply 12203/19/2013

Jake Lloyd in Star Wars The Phantom Menace.

by Anonymousreply 12303/19/2013

Jessica Lange - "Frances"

by Anonymousreply 12403/19/2013

r120, Nicholson in 5 EASY PIECES, yes, is really moving - especially the scene with his dad, where he takes the guy out into a field in his wheel chair and tried to talk to him.

Mifune and Tanaka: great choices, brilliant, human, profound performances.

Ingmar Bergman kind of always got beautiful, layered, honest, deep performances from his actors, and you'd have to list Ingrid Thulin, Max Von Sydow, Ullman, and Bibi Anderrson in nearly all the work they did for Bergman.

And speaking of Bergmans, Ingrid Bergman is gorgeous and sexy and somnambulistically delicious in NOTORIOUS.

r119, I should see MAGNOLIA again, because I do NOT remember the pharmacy scene all that clearly, sorry. I agree that Moore's best work is in FAR FROM HEAVEN, which includes also a brilliant performance by Dennis Quaid, and who'd've ever thought that you could put the words "brilliant performance" and "Dennis Quaid" together in a sentence?

by Anonymousreply 12503/19/2013

Paul Scofield in "Quiz Show"

Ruth Gordon in "Rosemary's Baby"

Linda Hamilton in "The Year of Living Dangerously" was completely amazing.

by Anonymousreply 12603/19/2013

Linda Hunt, oops, r126. Weird typo?

by Anonymousreply 12703/19/2013

Samantha Morton in "Morvern Callar"

Julie Christie in "Away From Her"

Mia Farrow in "Rosemary's Baby"

Marlon Brando in "The Godfather"

Liz Taylor in "Who's Afraid of Virginia Wollf?"

Maggie Cheung and Tony Leung in "In the Mood for Love"

by Anonymousreply 12803/19/2013

Darren Criss 'Teenage Dream' Performance

by Anonymousreply 12903/19/2013

Kevin Bacon in "Murder in the First"

by Anonymousreply 13003/19/2013

r90, right on about Charlize in Young Adult.

r100 / r103, that's exactly the idea.

by Anonymousreply 13103/19/2013

Cloris Leachman in The Last Picture Show.

by Anonymousreply 13203/19/2013

Hilary Swank in "Boys Don't Cry"

by Anonymousreply 13303/20/2013

George W. Bush during his entire term.

by Anonymousreply 13403/20/2013

Hilary Swank in "Boys Don't Cry".

by Anonymousreply 13503/20/2013

Haley Joel Osment in "The Sixth Sense"

by Anonymousreply 13603/20/2013

Ronald Reagan in The White House.

by Anonymousreply 13703/20/2013

Joaquin Phoenix in WALK THE LINE

Joaquin Phoenix in THE MASTER

Batshit crazy maybe, but one hell of an actor.

And Philip Seymour Hoffman in anything: CAPOTE, BEFORE THE DEVIL KNOWS YOU'RE DEAD, A LATE QUARTET.

by Anonymousreply 13803/20/2013

Many will "Mary!" me but I don't care:

Liza Minnelli in Cabaret back in 1972.

by Anonymousreply 13903/20/2013

And, I forgot another one, another Mary!

Streisand in Funny Girl especially at the end of the movie.

by Anonymousreply 14003/20/2013

Andrew Garfield in "The Social Network", Cary Grant "Arsenic and Old Lace", Ryan Gosling in "Fracture", Naomi Watts in "The Impossible"

by Anonymousreply 14103/20/2013

Emily Watson and Rachel Griffiths both nailed it in Hillary and Jackie, but Emily especially.

by Anonymousreply 14203/20/2013

Mark Taylor / Flashpoint -- When his character Louis "Lou" Young sacrificed himself by triggering the landmine he stepped on because he knew a rescue attempt would be futile and would end in the death of one or more of his colleagues.

by Anonymousreply 14303/20/2013

I saw this movie when I was a kid and I remember being absolutely blown away by Elijah Wood's performance in "The War". I haven't seen it for decades. I wonder if it holds up...

by Anonymousreply 14403/20/2013

r144, decades? ...really?

by Anonymousreply 14503/20/2013

Jan Lapotaire in Piaf

Kate Nelligan in Plenty

by Anonymousreply 14603/20/2013

Elijah Wood has only been alive for a little more than three decades. Was his ultrasound in some movie?

by Anonymousreply 14703/20/2013

These are random but :Meryl Streep in Sophie's Choice, Ethan Hawke in Dead Poets Society, Anne H . in Les Mis, Diana Ross in Lady Sings The Blues (should've won that Oscar!), Jessica Lange in Frances.

by Anonymousreply 14803/20/2013

r118, I'll give you a little rough estimate so far of the names/performances mentioned the most:

– Jessica Lange, Frances (also mentioned for American Horror Story)

- Hillary Swank, Boys Don't Cry

- Emily Watson, Breaking the Waves (also mentioned for Hillary and Jackie)

- Charlize, Monster (also mentioned for Young Adult)

- Meryl, Sophie's Choice

- Ellen Burstyn, Requiem for a Dream (also mentioned for Resurrection)

- Mo'Nique, Precious

- Daniel Day Lewis, There Will Be Blood (also mentioned for Lincoln, but was that really gut-wrenching?)

- Leo DiCaprio, What's Eating Gilbert Grape

- Anne Hathway, Les Mis (also mentioned for Brokeback and Havoc)

- Naomi Watts, Mulholland Drive (also mentioned for The Impossible)

- Jack Nicholson, Five Easy Pieces

- Kinuyo Tanaka, The Life of Oharu

- Mia Farrow, Rosemary's Baby (Also mentioned for the Purple Rose of Cairo)

- Toshiro Mifune, The Seven Samurai

- Michelle Williams, My Blue Valentine (also mentioned for My Week with Marilyn, Brokeback, Wendy and Lucy)

- Brenda Blethyn, Secrets and Lies

- Philip Seymour Hoffman, The Master and Boogie Nights (also mentioned for others)

- Viola Davis, Doubt (also mentioned for Fences)

- Jane Fonda, Klute (also mentioned for They Shoot Horses ...)

- Ryan Gosling, Blue Valentine (also mentioned for Half Nelson and Fracture)

- Michael Fassbender, Shame (also mentioned for Hunger)

- Imelda Staunton, Vera Drake

- Javier Bardem (mentioned once for every movie he's done, except Bond)

- Morgan Freeman mentioned for Driving Miss Daisy/Lean on Me (one vote each)

- Michelle Pfeiffer, Fabulous Baker Boys/Batman Returns (one vote each, have to agree with that last one -- she was unexpectedly heartbreaking as Catwoman)

- Brando, Waterfront/Streetcar (one vote each)

- Forest Whitaker, The Last King of Scotland/The Experiment/other

- Julianne Moore also mentioned for Safe/Magnolia/Far From Heaven/Boogie Nights (one vote each)

Forgive me if I missed any.

by Anonymousreply 14903/20/2013

R149

Gosling was also great in Lars and the real Girl, Fracture - he was a bit meh in that one IMHO. He is very hit and miss.

Javier, JAVIER, yes. He is hilarious and out of his mind brilliant in Perdita Durango. He should do comedies more often. Agree with you he was just not that great in that Bond movie.

Philip Seymour Hoffman also gave a great cameo in Hard Eight (PTAs first movie and hidden gem!)

Tom Hiddleston was great as Loki!

by Anonymousreply 15003/20/2013

Anna Magnani, in Rome, Open City

by Anonymousreply 15103/20/2013

Lisa Kudrow in The Opposite of Sex

Burl Ives in Cat on a Hot Tin Roof

by Anonymousreply 15203/20/2013

R57, I saw Dancer in the Dark many years ago and have never cried so much about a movie in my entire life, I completely lost it. Bjork was heartbreaking. Melissa Yeo also gave a heartbreaking performance in Frozen River, as did whoever played Muriel's mother in Muriel's Wedding.

by Anonymousreply 15303/20/2013

R33, I would like to bestow a citizen Emmy Award on Mike White for writing the "Enlightened" episode where he's finally loved. In voice-over he says:

"Some pearls are never found. They hide under the sand on the ocean floor. No one knows they're there. But the pearl knows."

by Anonymousreply 15403/20/2013

R145, he was a very young kid in it. I just checked. It came out in 1994. So, in one year, it will have been decades. As in two decades.

by Anonymousreply 15503/20/2013

Some great choices here! I would like to agree with r70, regarding Tovah Feldshuh, in "Kissing Jessica Stein." What a touching scene. Also, r150 who nominated Ryan Gosling for, "Lars and the Real Girl." Ryan also delivered a fantastic performance in that film about white supremacists.

by Anonymousreply 15603/20/2013

Stephen Graham in "This is England"

But then again pretty much everyone is brilliant in that movie.

by Anonymousreply 15703/20/2013

Michelle Pfeiffer - Batman Returns (should have won an Oscar)

Meryl Streep -Sophie's Choice

by Anonymousreply 15803/20/2013

Shirley Maclaine and Debra Winger in Terms of Endearment

by Anonymousreply 15903/20/2013

Keisha Castle-Hughes in Whale Rider

by Anonymousreply 16003/20/2013

Theresa Russell, Wild Things

by Anonymousreply 16103/20/2013

Sissy Spacek/Shelly Duvall - 3 Women

Gena Rowland's - A Woman Under The Influence

Jane Alexander - Testament

by Anonymousreply 16203/20/2013

Two from the fabulous Jeff Bridges, Starman and Fearless.

by Anonymousreply 16303/20/2013

Garland's A STAR IS BORN is unwatchable, but her rendition of "The Man That Got Away" is one of the few authentically spine-tingling, exhilarating onscreen vignettes. In a very similar way, FUNNY GIRL is exhausting, but Streisznd's "My Man" is a beautiful work of art. So there.

by Anonymousreply 16403/20/2013

Another vote for Michelle Pfeiffer in Batman Returns, that movie would have been nothing without her.

by Anonymousreply 16503/20/2013

[quote]Seriously Naomi Watts performance in Mulholland Drive left you in awe?!?!

Not my choice, but I get it. It was a very troubled, visceral performance.

Two others:

Andy Griffith in A FACE IN THE CROWD and River Phoenix in MY OWN PRIVATE IDAHO.

by Anonymousreply 16603/20/2013

A lot of these performances are loud, over-acted and gimmicky, especially Helen Mirren in 'Last Station', Kidman in 'The Hours', and Hathaway in 'Les Miz'.

They're like Disneyland awe-inspiring, clubbing you over the head with their tricks.

Lange in 'AHS' in entertaining to watch, but again, it's all gimmicks to rope in the masses.

My top five awe-inspiring performances, not by Meryl Streep, are:

Naomi Watts, Mulholland Drive

Emmanuelle Riva, Amour

Juliette Binoche, Blue

Kirsten Dunst, Melancholia

Sigourney Weaver, The Ice Storm

Top five awe-inspiring Meryl performances:

Meryl in Kramer vs. Kramer

Meryl in Sophie's Choice

Meryl in A Cry in the Dark

Meryl in Bridges of Madison County

Meryl in The Devil Wears Prada

But her entire filmography is awe-inspiring, obviously.

And I cannot stand Ann, but she was great in BBM. The girl from Dawson's Creek stole her nomination that year.

That's all.

by Anonymousreply 16703/20/2013

Jack Lemmon as salesman Shelley Levene in Glengarry Glen Ross.

by Anonymousreply 16803/20/2013

Being left in awe doesn't happen to me often at all

Simone Signoret in Madame Rosa

Jessica Lange in Frances

Emanuelle Riva in Amour

Jeanne Moreau in Cet Amour là

by Anonymousreply 16903/20/2013

R167 - your cane is showing

by Anonymousreply 17003/20/2013

Sissy Spacek in Carrie

by Anonymousreply 17103/20/2013

lol R147

by Anonymousreply 17203/20/2013

Leonardo Di Caprio in What's Eating Gilbert Grape

by Anonymousreply 17303/20/2013

Renee Falconetti for The Passion of Joan of Arc

by Anonymousreply 17403/20/2013

John Benjamin Hickey in The Normal Heart...

by Anonymousreply 17503/20/2013

Gene Hackman, "Night Moves"

by Anonymousreply 17603/20/2013

Bruno Ganz in "Downfall"

Capturing the "nice" Hitler - all the while being as sadistic a loony as all get out...

by Anonymousreply 17703/20/2013

Great choice, r169: Signoret in Madame Rosa (La Vie Devant Soi).

She really gets under your skin, not unlike Riva in Amour.

by Anonymousreply 17803/20/2013

Benedict Cumberbatch in his dual role as Frankenstein and his Creature in the National Theatre broadcast of "Frankenstein" was the most impressive acting tour de force I've ever witnessed. People like to slam Benedict for being full of himself but the fact that he shared the Olivier Award with Jonny Lee Miller for sharing those roles was itself impressive in its graciousness. This was 100% Benedict's show. Jonny was basically just there to spell him off.

by Anonymousreply 17903/20/2013

Pfeiffer should have won an Oscar for Batman Returns.

Marisa Tomei won that year instead.

by Anonymousreply 18003/20/2013

R178

I know Riva gets all the attention in Amour but I think Trintignant was sorely overlooked. He made the film for me.

by Anonymousreply 18103/20/2013

R181

Absolutely agree on this with you. He was amazing!

by Anonymousreply 18203/20/2013

Leslie Cheung and Tony Leung in "Happy Together"

by Anonymousreply 18303/20/2013

Juanita Moore and Susan Kohner in IMITATION OF LIFE

Jean Pierre Leaud in THE 400 BLOWS

Burt Lancaster in ELMER GANTRY

Ingrid Thulin in CRIES AND WHISPERS

James Cagney in ANGELS WITH DIRTY FACES

Paul Newman in NOBODY's FOOL

An eclectic mix, to be sure, but every one of thse performances is gangbusters!

by Anonymousreply 18403/20/2013

Michael Shannon - Take Shelter Viola Davis - Doubt Bette Davis - Now Voyager Jennifer Lawrence - Winter's Bone Bjork - Dancer in the Dark

by Anonymousreply 18503/20/2013

Angela Lansbury, The Manchurian Candidate.

by Anonymousreply 18603/20/2013

I've seen many great performances but the only one that truly left me in awe was Maria Falconetti in "The Passion of Joan of Arc". I saw it in film class and immediately afterwards was nearly hit by a bus when I didn't see a stop light.

by Anonymousreply 18703/20/2013

James Holmes in Dark Knight Rises

by Anonymousreply 18803/20/2013

Olivia Newton-John in Xanadu.

by Anonymousreply 18903/20/2013

Jeremy Irons in Dead Ringers - amazingly creepy

by Anonymousreply 19003/20/2013

Diane Keaton in Looking For Mr. Goodbar

Diane Lane in Unfaithful

by Anonymousreply 19103/20/2013

Lots of young people posting.

by Anonymousreply 19203/20/2013

Shirley Booth in Come Back, Little Sheba.

by Anonymousreply 19303/20/2013

Sharon Warren in RAY. Who? She played Ray Charles' mother when he was a child. Her few scenes had me sobbing. According to IMDB she's only done one other film in 2006.

by Anonymousreply 19403/20/2013

Mo'Nique is a great one. Honestly is there a better performance in that category?

by Anonymousreply 19503/20/2013

[quote] Mo'Nique is a great one. Honestly is there a better performance in that category?

Yes. Hillary Swank

by Anonymousreply 19603/20/2013

What I meant by that R196 was supporting actress which Mo won for. I can't think of any but then I aren't as familiar with supporting.

by Anonymousreply 19703/20/2013

[R160] I'm watching (well, mostly my sister) right now and I don't know how the hell she got so much acclaim...anyone could've played this role. That one good crying scene doesn't justify a whole movie's worth of wooden acting. Throughout the whole film her expression never changes. Even during the scene where her Grandfather said "she has no use to me", she ran out the door (presumably to cry) but as she ran out her expression didn't change...

I understand that people saw potential (well, if you go by that one good crying scene) but really? Nominations for the top prizes in acting seemed way too much IMO.

Sorry, not blasting you for finding her awesome in this movie, just giving my 2c ;).

by Anonymousreply 19803/20/2013

I simply cannot bear it when pretentious queens proclaim that Maria Falconetti's Joan of Arc was some kind of masterpiece. To view it now is to see how laughable and histrionic that foreign nobody actress' performance really was.

by Anonymousreply 19903/20/2013

Patty Duke Anne Bancroft in the Miracle Worker.

by Anonymousreply 20003/20/2013

Paul Newman - The Verdict

by Anonymousreply 20103/20/2013

Gena Rowlands in "Woman Under the Influence" and "Gloria", Fassbender in "Shame", John Wayne in "The Searchers", Robert Duval in "The Great Santini", James Mason in "Odd Man Out", Alida Valli and Georges Wilson in "Une aussi longue absence"

by Anonymousreply 20203/20/2013

Excuse me if I missed an earlier post on this (because it is so obvious): Heath Ledger in "Brokeback."

by Anonymousreply 20303/20/2013

Kevin Spacey in American Beauty and Seven.

by Anonymousreply 20403/20/2013

Jesse Spencer speaking American on "Chicago Fire." It makes me want him more every week.

by Anonymousreply 20503/20/2013

So many have already been mentioned but I'll have to mention some of them again because they are my faves. In no particular order:

Marlon Brando - On the Waterfront

Meryl Streep - Sophie's Choice

Bette Davis - All About Eve and Now, Voyager

Denzel Washington - Malcom X and The Hurricane

Angela Bassett - What's Love Got to Do With It

Dorothy Dandridge - Carmen Jones

Anna Magnani - Rome, Open City

Anne Hathaway - Rachel Getting Married

Vivian Leigh - Gone With the Wind

Judy Garland - A Star Is Born and The Clock

Katherine Hepburn - A Lion in Winter

Gena Rowlands - A Woman Under the Influence

Halle Berry - Monster's Ball

Heath Ledger - Brokeback Mountain

Henry Fonda - The Grapes or Wrath

Dustin Hoffman - Tootsie

Paul Newman - The Verdict

Javier Bardem - Before Night Falls

Adrien Brody - The Pianist

Elizabeth Taylor - Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf

by Anonymousreply 20603/21/2013

Ben Kingsley - Sexy Beast; Emma Thompson - Wit

by Anonymousreply 20703/21/2013

Barbara Stanwyck in "The Lady Eve" and "Stella Dallas"

by Anonymousreply 20803/21/2013

Gene Hackman completely blew me away in THE CONVERSATION, the first time I saw it. One of those moments where I left the theater in a daze. His isolation, his solitude, his insistent loneliness, his self-sufficiency despite his quiet desparation. . .

Another performance that feels more and more emotionally risky to me every time I see it is Malcolm McDowell in CLOCKWORK ORANGE. His ability to get you to care about him despite the ruinous violence he inflicts on other people; the way he's able to show you how out-of-control he feels once he's been re-programmed to be sickened by violence: a really moving performance.

A lot of your are simply listing performances you like. But I think the OP's question is: performances where they actor took huge emotional risks that really knocked you out. Or actors who were willing to go way way out there - either in comedy or drama - to the point where you yourself felt at risk.

Sean Penn in SWEET AND LOWDOWN (though not in MILK, which is, in my opinion, a gay minstrel show and a very bad film).

Lily Tomlin in NASHVILLE.

Bette Davis and Jimmy Cagney, early in their careers.

Hattie McDaniel in ALICE ADAMS. McDaniel doesn't get the props she deserves for her genius comic timing and her razor sharp irony.

by Anonymousreply 20903/21/2013

Thanks r209 for a very intelligent post.

by Anonymousreply 21003/21/2013

[all posts by ham-fisted troll a removed.]

by Anonymousreply 21103/21/2013

Terry Kiser in Weekend at Bernie's.

by Anonymousreply 21203/21/2013

F. Murray Abraham in Amadeus.

by Anonymousreply 21303/21/2013

Danny Bolye's Frankenstein with Benedict Cumberbatch

by Anonymousreply 21403/21/2013

The Clown in Poltergeist

by Anonymousreply 21503/21/2013

Kevin Costner in The Big Chill.

by Anonymousreply 21603/21/2013

Tracy Letts and Amy Morton

WHO'S AFRAID OF VIRIGNIA WOOLF?

by Anonymousreply 21703/21/2013

Part 1 of overlong list

Sophia Loren - Two Women

Giulietta Masina - La Strada

Emily Watson - Breaking the Waves

Gena Rowlands - A Woman Under the Influence

Liv Ullmann - Face To Face

Jessica Lange - Frances

Kathy Bates - Misery

Isabelle Huppert - The Piano Teacher

Charlize Theron - Monster

Marion Cotillard - La vie en rose

Cate Blanchett - I'm Not There

Mo’Nique - Precious

by Anonymousreply 21803/21/2013

Robert De Niro - Raging Bull

Robert De Niro - Taxi Driver

Peter Finch - Network

Daniel Day-Lewis - My Left Foot

John Hurt - The Elephant Man

Sean Penn - Dead Man Walking

Bruno Ganz - Downfall

Philip Seymour Hoffman - Capote

Heath Ledger - Brokeback Mountain

Ulrich Mühe - The Lives of Others

Emile Hirsch - Into the Wild

Mickey Rourke - The Wrestler

Colin Firth - A Single Man

I was struggling to think of male ones and I'm certainly not one of those gays who just like actresses and female entertainers cliche, something I never understood. Of course at their best they're equal.

The men seem more consistent, but then they get the best roles. The women don't tend to in Hollywood and get generic ones. Villain roles are fun, so it's great when a female gets one.

You're more likely though to see all the suffering, pain, breakdowns and crying in female roles and emotion which gays identify with. I think that was the explanation for why the gays go for women anyway.

by Anonymousreply 21903/21/2013

Kim Hye-ja - Mother

Ronee Blakley - Nashville

Angelica Houston - The Grifters

by Anonymousreply 22003/21/2013

David Ruger - Teenage Angst (2008)

by Anonymousreply 22103/21/2013

Serious question:

How can a performance be a huge emotional risk?

by Anonymousreply 22203/21/2013

Andy Griffith in A Face in the Crowd.

by Anonymousreply 22303/21/2013

R220 Mother is one I need to see. I made a major mistake when I chose going to see the dull as ditchwater The Maid over that.

Nashville remains stubbornly region 1, but I need to get it. Heard so much about Blakley.

Here's one that hasn't been mentioned and also Altman: Shelley Duvall in 3 Women. And also her or at least Nicholson in The Shining.

by Anonymousreply 22403/21/2013

r211, may I just say that I find Bette Davis's performance in MR. SKEFFINGTON deeply unwatchable? OMGawd!, her fake little-girl voice. It's the voice she uses for Baby Jane 20 years later, except SKEFFINGTON is not a fright film! I maintain that she gives the same performance in SKEFFINGTON and BABY JANE, and it only works in one of them. In one of them, in fact, it's genius. But in SKEFFINGTON, it's agony. In any case, Davis had just killed her second husband, I believe - Farny, Arthur Farnsworth, whom she brained in their New England home or maybe it was on the railroad platform in New Mexico. . . I love Bette Davis, she is one of the great artists of the 20th century, in my small opinion, but SKEFFINGTON is a disaster.

(By the way, I also think that she gives the same performance in ALL ABOUT EVE that she gave the year before in BEYOND THE FOREST. Again, it's genius in one and appalling in the other. Proof that an artist needs the right frame for her work.)

r222, watch Jack Lemmon in almost anything - he goes way out there, tries every comic and dramatic extreme, risks failure, sometimes in fact fails, isn't ashamed of what comes out of him or how he comes across. . . Watch Glenda Jackson in THE MUSIC LOVERS, an irresistibly appalling Ken Russell film, get a load of her scene on the train after she and Richard Chamberlain gets married and she tries to seduce him and fails, imagine Jackson's audacity in allowing herself to look so needy and repulsive. . . Watch, for that matter, Streisand singing "My Man" at the end of FUNNY GIRL, and awful film, but Streisand rips the skin off that song and shows its veins, you can feel her talking straight to her awful step-dad, her dead biological dad, her withholding mom, all the men who made her feel ugly and yet whose love she desperately wanted when she was a kid. . .

by Anonymousreply 22503/22/2013

Did anyone already mention Mary Tyler Moore in Ordinary People?

by Anonymousreply 22603/22/2013

[quote]How can a performance be a huge emotional risk?

It can't. That's just actor-y bullshit that comes from the likes of Paltrow and Hathaway and now the general public believes.

by Anonymousreply 22703/22/2013

Timothy Spall in the Stephen Poliakoff 2001 TV production, "Perfect Strangers." Spall plays an almost relentlessly ebullient character who, in one scene, reveals that his image is pure fabrication. He's scene-stealing as the too jolly fat man, but brilliant when he sheds the act.

It's a short scene, but beautifully done, and it always stick with me as an example of acting that's arrestingly good.

by Anonymousreply 22803/22/2013

Someone said this earlier, but Lynn Redgrave's short monologue at the end of "Kinsey" (which makes up her entire performance) is heartbreaking and beautifully wrought. I always thought she should've gotten a Beatrice Straight-style nomination for it. I'll never forget it.

by Anonymousreply 22903/22/2013

Bruno Ganz in "Wings of Desire" and "Marquise d'O"

by Anonymousreply 23003/22/2013

[quote]Muriel's mother in Muriel's Wedding.

I agree.

by Anonymousreply 23103/22/2013

[quote]Ronee Blakley - Nashville

Yes.

[quote]Angelica Houston - The Grifters

Another yes.

by Anonymousreply 23203/22/2013

Jeanie Drynan is the actress that played Betty Heslop in Muriel's Wedding, and yes this was one of the most heartbreaking performances ever put on film. Muriels Wedding flirts with perfection and Jeanie Drynan hit a home run. Thanks for bringing up this AH-Mazing performance

by Anonymousreply 23303/22/2013

r227, did you not read my post?

Paltrow has never given a "risky" performance, if you ask me. Though I liked her in that movie that JJL and Alan Cumming made, with all those actors: Kevin Kline, John C. Reilly, Phoebe Cates (her one really good performance), Jane Adams, Dennis O'Hare, John Benjamin Hickey. . . Right, *The Anniversary Party*. Forgot the name. Paltrow was fun in that. Not "risky," though.

by Anonymousreply 23403/22/2013

I wish that Warners had stuck to the original premise of the novel "Mr. Skeffington" was based on, in which Mrs. Skeffington, on the advice of a therapist, comes to terms with losing her beauty by visiting all her old lovers in order to see in their faces how she's changed. Bette Davis might have had fun with that. Instead they made it all about what an idiot she is and how her husband (who barely appears in the novel) is a saint to put up with her. I usually love Bette Davis-Claude Rains films because they're such a couple of little spitfires but this one is no fun at all.

by Anonymousreply 23503/26/2013

R234

Goop was great in Hard Eight, very much cast against type.

by Anonymousreply 23603/26/2013

[quote]It can't. That's just actor-y bullshit that comes from the likes of Paltrow and Hathaway and now the general public believes.

Thank you for posting this, R227. I'm sick of the crap actors feed the public about their "work."

by Anonymousreply 23703/26/2013

Shawn Hatosy - Soldier's Girl

by Anonymousreply 23803/26/2013

[quote]I usually love Bette Davis-Claude Rains films because they're such a couple of little spitfires but this one is no fun at all.

Vincent Sherman said that Bette was incredibly difficult on the set, arguing about everything. Rains told Sherman that he didn't have any idea what was the matter with her--he had never known her to be this temperamental.

by Anonymousreply 23903/26/2013

r239 - Didn't her husband die, either while filming or shortly before filming started.

by Anonymousreply 24003/26/2013

I should have looked on wiki before posting..

[quote]In August 1943, Davis's husband, Arthur Farnsworth, collapsed while walking along a Hollywood street and died two days later. An autopsy revealed that his fall had been caused by a skull fracture he had suffered two weeks earlier. Davis testified before an inquest that she knew of no event that might have caused the injury. A finding of accidental death was reached. Highly distraught, Davis attempted to withdraw from her next film Mr. Skeffington (1944); but Jack Warner, who had halted production following Farnsworth's death, convinced her to continue. Although she had gained a reputation for being forthright and demanding, her behavior during filming of Mr. Skeffington was erratic and out of character.

by Anonymousreply 24103/26/2013

I've watched a lot of movies and I have a lot of favorite performances, but left me in awe? I can think of a handful.

One that no one has mentioned yet--

David Thewlis in Mike Leigh's 'Naked'. Fucking amazing. My jaw was literally hanging open when the film finished. One of the most desperate, thrilling, and soul-crushing performances I've seen in the last 20 years.

I'll also throw in my vote for Emily Watson in Breaking the Waves. But then von Trier seems to create these roles for women where they have to just rip themselves open emotionally. I thought Kirsten Dunst was pretty brilliant in 'Melancholia', too.

Christopher Walken in 'The Deer Hunter'--His Nick still rips my heart out every time I watch him break down in the hospital.

Giulietta Masina in Nights of Cabiria (still haven't seen La Strada, though).

Robert De Niro in Raging Bull--always loved him, ever since I watched Taxi Driver as a teenager..but for some reason, I avoided watching Raging Bull for the longest time. By the time I finally saw it some twenty years after its release, it pretty much devastated me for weeks. That scene in the jail cell was like watching my father. Completely crushed me.

As for Meryl--well, I've been in awe of her since I was a fifteen year old drama student. All of her early stuff just amazed me.

And this was mentioned way back at the beginning of the thread, but

[quote]Julianne Moore in "Safe" (another great final scene--the scene right after where she stands in front of the mirror and talks to her reflection)

I can't watch that and not break down into sobs. So real and so honest a moment.

by Anonymousreply 24203/26/2013

Lisa Kudrow in The Comeback. I am not sure if it has been mentioned or not. I wasn't a huge fan of hers on Friends and it wasn't until I saw her in this show and specifically this scene, that I realized that wow, she is a serious actress.

Just prior to this, she has been stopped by the security guards because she set off the metal detector when entering the studio.

by Anonymousreply 24303/27/2013

Emma Thompson and Justin Kirk in Angels in America. Everyone in the film is amazing but those two really stand out.

by Anonymousreply 24404/21/2013

Eamon Walker in Oz.

by Anonymousreply 24504/21/2013

I agree with many that have already been listed but I won't rehash them. A few more:

Kate Nelligan in Without a Trace. A very carefully modulated performance that avoids the expected schmaltz.

Tony Leung in Lust, Caution. Probably his finest performance to date, and that's really saying something.

Eddie Redmayne and (especially) Julianne Moore in Savage Grace.

Michelle Pfeiffer in Dangerous Liaisons.

Paul Muni in I Am a Fugitive From Chain Gang. Muni doesn't seem to be well - remembered today, but he was one of the best actors of his day, right up there with March and Cagney. His last line is haunting.

by Anonymousreply 24604/21/2013

"Angela Basset in What's Love Got To DO With It"

I lose it every time she walks in to the hotel, covered in blood, and the hotel clerk is all "Of course, Miss Turner"

She escaped - and the message was, without any racial overtones, that YOU CAN ESCAPE because, no matter how beaten down, how alone you think you are, there are decent, nice people out there...

by Anonymousreply 24704/21/2013

I can't believe how many of my favorite movies have been mentioned in this thread. Bravo, boys!

That said, don't forget Jennifer Connelly in Requiem for a Dream, and for House of Sand and Fog, along with Shohreh Aghdashloo. Almost everyone in that movie left me devastated; I was really surprised that it was not nominated for more awards.

And I want to add Vanessa Redgrave in Playing for Time. The commercial I linked is cheesy, but the movie -- and her performance -- was incredible.

by Anonymousreply 24804/21/2013

Beryl Reid in Killing of Sister George

by Anonymousreply 24904/21/2013

Patti LuPone in Gypsy. Whatever her baggage, big star, big voice, big part, big show. It was fantastic, if not perfect.

I also have a lasting impression of Tracie Bennett in Over the Rainbow. I still recall the phenomenal energy coming out of the woman during her performances (saw it in London and New York.)

by Anonymousreply 25004/21/2013

Deon Lotz in the South African film "Beauty". A MUST SEE for all the elder gays out there. It is streaming on Netflix and this guy gives one of the most shocking, powerful performances I have ever seen. DO NOT read the reviews on Netflix as they contain spoilers. It is a tough film but totally worth it. Amazing!

by Anonymousreply 25104/23/2013

This is a great thread. So many reminders of performances that I also appreciate.

A few that I don't but nice to see that it's OK to be passionate about things on DL other than red weirdos and Bomer's ass.

All my favourites have been listed, but I will add one.

Sandy Dennis left me in some kind of fascinated awe in Jimmy Dean, Jimmy Dean.

by Anonymousreply 25204/23/2013

Gena Rowlands in A Woman Under the Influence.

The scene at the dinner table when she tries in vain to get her father to acknowledge her is heartbreaking.

by Anonymousreply 25304/23/2013

I suck at these kinds of questions as I have just a terrible memory for movies. All I can do is name favorite films and say why I enjoyed them.

Emma Thompson in "Wit." What a performance. It ripped me apart.

"Last of the Mohicans," one of my all-time favorite movies, specifically for the scene where Magua kills Uncas and Cora jumps off the cliff. The scene was so taut and riveting. Danriel Day Lewis is in that movie, btw. It's hard to credit any one actor in that climactic scene; the editing and the music has a lot to do with the scene's success. But it is one of my favorite movie moments. You really can't go wrong with a DDL movie.

I thought Mary Stuart Masterson was awesome in "Fried Green Tomatoes." The movie had issues but she was perfect in that role and the whole reason for watching that movie.

Javier Bardem in "No Country for Old Men".

Diane Lane in "Unfaithful." Also in "Under a Tuscan Sun." I hated her and thought "Tuscan Sun" would be this treacly schmaltz fest. Then I accidentally watched it and it made me a Diane Lane fan. Who knew?

There are many others, of course...

by Anonymousreply 25404/23/2013

Christoph Waltz in Django Unchained

by Anonymousreply 25504/23/2013

Steve Zahn in Rescue Dawn

Adam Goldberg in Saving Private Ryan

Dumbo

Meryl Streep in The Hiding Place

Denzel Washington in Glory

Jack Nicholson in One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest

Kevin Costner in A Perfect World

Anne Bancroft in 'Night Mother

Jane Fonda in The Doll Maker

Vanessa Redgrave in Julia

by Anonymousreply 25604/23/2013

I did not mean Meryl Streep in The Hiding Place; I was thinking of her in The Holocaust

by Anonymousreply 25704/23/2013

Jessica Lange as Frances Farmer. Brilliant.

by Anonymousreply 25804/23/2013

by Anonymousreply 25904/23/2013

Since this thread was bumped, does anyone want to do this...

Have any performances left anyone in awe, because of how bad they were? If so, what are they?

by Anonymousreply 26004/23/2013

Great choice, R243. That show was brilliant and that moment was beautiful. Shocking to see that it's only a minute and a half long . Never watched FRIENDS and hated ROMY AND MICHELLE'S REUNION but I became a big Kudrow fan after this show.

by Anonymousreply 26104/23/2013

Alec Baldwin in Glengarry Glen Ross.

by Anonymousreply 26204/23/2013

A couple of other performances that blow my mind

Fernanda Montenegro in Central Station

and

Sissy Spacek in Coal Miners' Daughter

by Anonymousreply 26310/09/2013

Cathy Burns in "Last Summer" (1969).

by Anonymousreply 26410/09/2013

Miranda Richardson in Damage Daniel Day-Lewis in Lincoln Marlon Brando in On the Waterfront Deborah Kerr in Edward, My Son Ellen Burstyn in Resurrection Emma Thompson in Remains of the Day Paul Newman in The Verdict Dirk Bogarde in The Servant Laurence Olivier in Sister Carrie Liv Ullmann in Autumn Sonata Cate Blanchett in Notes on a Scandal Judi Dench in Notes on a Scandal Katharine Hepburn in Lion in Winter

by Anonymousreply 26510/09/2013

r265 Ellen Burstyn in Resurrection. YES. One of those performances that really does blow you away. Sam Shepard was also great in that film.

by Anonymousreply 26610/09/2013

R5, I agree. The showerhead should have gotten an Oscar that year.

by Anonymousreply 26710/09/2013

The girl who was in Glitter.

by Anonymousreply 26810/09/2013

Kathy Bates and Judy Parfitt in "Dolores Claiborne"

Both should have one the Oscar for their respective performance.

by Anonymousreply 26910/09/2013

Oh my God! Did I just type "one" instead of "won"?!

Please, I beg your indulgence.

by Anonymousreply 27010/09/2013

Leonardo Di Caprio in What's Eating Gilbert Grape.

by Anonymousreply 27110/09/2013

Jose Ferrer as Barney Greenwald in the Caine Mutiny.

by Anonymousreply 27210/09/2013

Barney Fife in The Incredible Mr. Limpid (he IS the fish!)

by Anonymousreply 27310/09/2013

Jeremy Piven in Old School. His portrayal of the principal just keep me on the edge of my seat.

by Anonymousreply 27410/09/2013

I can't remember his name, but he did a great job playing a real flaming queer in Hairspray.

by Anonymousreply 27510/09/2013

I haven't read the whole thread but I hope someone has mentioned Naomi Watts in Mulholland Drive.

by Anonymousreply 27610/09/2013

Philip Seymour Hoffman - The Master

Philip Seymour Hoffman - Boogie Nights

Denis Lavant - Holy Motors

Gwyneth Paltrow and Anthony Hopkins - Proof

Gwyneth Paltrow - Sylvia

Michelle Williams - My Week with Marylin

Javier Bardem - Perdita Durango

Robert Downey Jr - Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

Robert Downey Jr - Tropic Thunder

Marisa Thomei - The Wrestler

Sam Rockwell - Moon

Sam Rockwell - Confessions of a Dangerous Mind

by Anonymousreply 27710/09/2013

r186 A hat tip to you for mentioning Angela Lansbury in "The Manchurian Candidate." Cold, calculating and relentless. Her speech to Laurence Harvey revealing what a manipulative bitch she is, was absolutely draining. Philip Seymour Hoffman is a great actor, but I haven't seen many of his films.His scene in "Flawless" (don't throw things) when he's trying to get away from his would-be killers was amazing, and left me exhausted. THAT, my friends, was awe.

by Anonymousreply 27810/09/2013

Dustin Hoffman in The Graduate. I can see why they thought he was ruining the movie during production. The whole first time watching it I was laughing so hard but at the same time blown away and confused by the whole thing.

by Anonymousreply 27910/09/2013

Sal Mineo and James Dean in Rebel Without a Cause. Christopher Waltz in Inglorious Basterds.

by Anonymousreply 28010/09/2013

Judi Dench in "Amy's View" onstage - amazing

Judi Dench on film in "Iris" and "Notes on a Scandal"

Maggie Smith in "The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie."

Jessica Lange in "Frances"

Vanessa Redgrave in "Julia."

Emma Thompson, "Howard's End"

Liam Neeson "Schindler's List"

Don Cheadle and Sophie Okonedo in Hotel Rwanda

Ralph Fiennes "The English Patient"

Julianne Moore in "The End of the Affair"

Juliette Binoche in "Blue" "The English Patient" and "Chocolat"

Denzel W in Glory and Flight

Vivien Leigh in Streetcar

Viola Davis in The Help

Anthony Hopkins in Equus on stage

Jodie Foster in Silence of the Lambs

Russell Crowe and Guy Pearce in LA Confidential

Michelle Yeoh in Crouching Tiger and Memoirs of a Geisha

by Anonymousreply 28110/09/2013

R281, you have too much free time on your hands.

by Anonymousreply 28210/09/2013

Meredith Baxter in A Woman Scorned: The Betty Broderick Story. Parts One and Two. Seriously, she was SPECTACULAR.

by Anonymousreply 28310/09/2013

When I need motivation at work, I watch his ABC speech, r262.

by Anonymousreply 28410/21/2013

281 Nailed it for the Women:

Vanessa Redgrave Julia Jessica Lange Frances Maggie Smith Prime of Miss Jean Brody

Serious omission: Angela Bassett Whats Love Got to do with IT ---ROBBED Glenda Jackson Elizabeth Judy Davis Judy Garland Bio Pic Jane Fonda Klute

I will add Quevenzahne Wallis because she CARRIED that film.

by Anonymousreply 28510/22/2013

A lot of performances that ripped me apart have been mentioned.

Recently, Fassbender in "Shame" and "Hunger", Ledger in "Brokeback Mountain" and "Monster's Ball".

No one has mentioned Raul Julia and William Hurt in "Kiss of the Spider Woman" which wrecked me at the time.

Ralph Fiennes in "Sunshine".

Clive Owen in "Bent".

Tilda Swinton in "Orlando".

by Anonymousreply 28610/22/2013

Valérie Quennessen in "Summer Lovers" She simply mesmerized me.

by Anonymousreply 28710/22/2013

Tilda Swinton "We Need to Talk About Kevin"

by Anonymousreply 28810/22/2013

Kirsten Dunst in "Melancholia". I still watch it and it really hits a chord with me.

The entire cast of "For Colored Girls" that movie caught me off guard and really messed with my emotions.

by Anonymousreply 28910/22/2013

The actor who played the father in Beasts of the Southern Wild. He's not even an actor, he prefers cooking.

by Anonymousreply 29010/22/2013

Sheryl Lee in Fire Walk With Me,

Naomi Watts in Mulholland Drive,

Al Pacino in The Godfather 2,

Robert De Niro in Godfather 2 and Taxi Driver,

Marlon Brando in A Streetcar Named Desire

by Anonymousreply 29110/22/2013

A lot of you in awe of some random ass shit

by Anonymousreply 29210/22/2013

Vanessa Redgrave/Glenda Jackson scene in "Mary, Queen of Scots"

by Anonymousreply 29310/22/2013

Patty Duke as Helen Keller in the Miracle Worker

by Anonymousreply 29410/22/2013

After Saturday, I can now add this name to my list:

Lupita Nyong'o in [italic]12 Years a Slave[/italic]

Truly one of the best screen performances I've ever seen.

by Anonymousreply 29510/22/2013

Samantha Morton in Morvern Callar

by Anonymousreply 29610/22/2013

Naomi Watts in "Funny Games".

by Anonymousreply 29710/22/2013

Did I miss it, or did no one mention the kid in My Left Foot? Sure DDL was great in that, but the kid who played the younger version of him was amazing!

by Anonymousreply 29810/22/2013

I think Jake in Brokeback Mountain was better in every scene than Heath with one exception: Heath finding the shirts. Don't agree? Who's line is the most quoted? Jake's: I don't know how to quit you.

by Anonymousreply 29910/22/2013

Liza Minelli in "Cabaret". Those final moments in the title song where her dancing gets choppy and you can see the sadness and resignation in her face even though she's smiling. Brilliant.

Monroe in "Bus Stop" and "The Misfits".

Just about everyone in "Gosford Park" but especially Eileen Atkins, Maggie Smith, Scott Thomas and Tom Hollander.

Eileen Atkins in anything, really.

Mo'Nique in "Precious"

Meryl, Amy Adams and Viola in "Doubt"

Brando in "Streetcar"

by Anonymousreply 30010/22/2013

Nancy Marchand in "The Sopranos"

Joseph Gordon-Levitt in "Mysterious Skin"

Viola Davis in "Doubt"

Kathy Bates in "Misery"

Kevin Spacey in "Seven"

Denzel Washington in "Glory"

Joaquin Phoenix in "Two Lovers"

Susan Sarandon in "Dead Man Walking"

Lupita Nyong'o in "12 Years A Slave"

by Anonymousreply 30110/22/2013

[all posts by tedious troll removed.]

by Anonymousreply 30210/22/2013

I agree with Anthony Hopkins. The acting in Breaking Bad is probably the best acting ever, especially when you consider they had to keep those performances fresh for so many years.

by Anonymousreply 30310/22/2013

Bryan Cranston as Tim Whatley, the regifting Jewish joke-telling dentist.

Brilliant

by Anonymousreply 30410/22/2013

Rosie Perez in Fearless. A full throttle dramatic role where she drops all of her tired mannerisms. One of the best performances ever filmed.

by Anonymousreply 30510/22/2013

Sissy Spacek and Piper Laurie in Carrie. My jaw never left the floor.

by Anonymousreply 30610/22/2013

Years ago, American Playhouse (I believe it was) produced a production of "The Old Settler" starring Phyllicia Rashad and Debbie Allen. A-M-A-Z-I-N-G performances!

by Anonymousreply 30710/22/2013

R302

Emily Blunt was the standout performance in Devil wears Prada!

by Anonymousreply 30810/22/2013

RDJ in Chaplin, Kiss Kiss Bang Bang and Tropic Thunder

by Anonymousreply 30910/22/2013

Beatrice Strait in NETWORK. One scene and I think she won the Oscar.

Any other once scene knock out performances out there?

by Anonymousreply 31010/22/2013

Meryl Streep in [italic]Angels in America[/italic]

by Anonymousreply 31110/22/2013

R305 this is a joke, right?

by Anonymousreply 31210/22/2013

Rod Steiger in every movie I've seen him in.

Eleanor Parker in all of her films I've seen. She is a chameleon like Steiger.

Jessica Lange in Frances and American Horror Story (I also love her in King Kong :D "You goddamn chauvinist pig ape!") She has always done fury so well.

Betty White in Lake Placid.

by Anonymousreply 31310/22/2013

R312, Rosie received an Oscar nom for Best Supporting Actress for that performance. That fact alone doesn't mean hers one of the best performances of all time but obviously R305 isn't the only one who appreciated it.

by Anonymousreply 31410/22/2013

Well pardon me. But it was a great performance. Maybe here's one people can agree on. EVERYONE in Passion Fish. God I love that movie.

by Anonymousreply 31510/22/2013

Here's another one that will piss you off. Mae Whitman as Sandra Bullock's daughter in Hope Floats.

by Anonymousreply 31610/22/2013

Brando's Stanley Kowalski so gets to me I can watch ASND only once every 5 or so years because it drains me for days.

I don't see Brando. I see, hear and feel Kowalski; the subhuman who seems as though 10,000 years just passed him by.

by Anonymousreply 31710/22/2013

I'll echo R295 to cite Lupita Nyong'o's performance in "12 Years A Slave." Simply an astounding piece of acting.

by Anonymousreply 31810/22/2013

I know the show is kinda shit but James Spader did an amazing thing in last week's episode of Blacklist.

The "Parable of the Farmer" will be one of the most overlooked, unrecognized television performances of this year.

I hope there are more moments like this.

by Anonymousreply 31910/22/2013

Geraldine Page in Interiors. Raw. Toxic. Memorable.

Mary!

by Anonymousreply 32010/22/2013

Sandy Dennis kind of left me stupefied in Come Back to The Five and Dime...

(If her performance IS all ticks and tricks - still she is more fascinating than Streep has ever been.)

I think she reveals something mysterious and ordinary and hysterically human. It is a stagey film, but she is as real as dirt in the wind. It's all fake. High wire stuff.

by Anonymousreply 32110/23/2013

julie christie in anything she has ever done.

by Anonymousreply 32210/23/2013

Janet Jackson in all her movies.

by Anonymousreply 32310/23/2013

I'm shocked by the levels of poor taste here. Gwyneth in Sylvia? My God

by Anonymousreply 32510/24/2013

She's quite gauche, but Swank in Boys Don't Cry...

by Anonymousreply 32610/24/2013

Nicole Kidman in Moulin rouge!! ... no I'm just fucking kidding. How about Renee zellweger in Chicago??!!

by Anonymousreply 32710/24/2013

Brando in WATERFRONT.

Fonda in KLUTE.

Onstage, recently:

Jessica Hecht in that Richard Greenberg play.

Zach Quinto in GLASS MENAGERIE

LuPone & Esparza & Szot & Norbert Butz in recent musicals.

Bette Davis, always & forever

by Anonymousreply 32810/24/2013

R324 that's amazing about Whitaker as Idi Amin. Are there any articles or accounts of that, the Ugandan crew being terrified of him? I want to read about it

by Anonymousreply 32910/24/2013

Im sure someone mentioned it above (I was too friggin' lazy to read the whole thread) but De Havilland in THE HEIRESS.

by Anonymousreply 33010/24/2013

Sigourney Weaver in Death and the Maiden, disturbing movie, be in a good mood if you want to watch it. Ben Kingsley co-stars.

by Anonymousreply 33110/24/2013

Ewen MacGregor in Moulin Rouge

by Anonymousreply 33210/24/2013

Toni Colette in Muriel's Wedding: First she put on something like 50 pounds to prepare for the role. And then this 3 minutes scene, uncut, unedited, where she starts stone cold serious, then has a huge fit of giggles and end up in tears, wailing like a baby. Oh wow!

by Anonymousreply 33310/24/2013

I ab-so-freaking-lutely HATED "Muriel's Wedding" who most other fagz adore!

by Anonymousreply 33410/25/2013

Muriels's Wedding is one small scene short of being the perfect motion picture.

by Anonymousreply 33510/25/2013

No. 28.

by Anonymousreply 33610/25/2013

Donna Pesco in anything

by Anonymousreply 33710/25/2013

Another vote for andrew garfield in never let me go truly heartbreaking and also javier bardem in no country for old men he was perfectly psychotic.

by Anonymousreply 33810/26/2013

Eddie Murphy in Pluto Nash

by Anonymousreply 33910/26/2013

Rosie Perez in Peter Weir's film, Fearless. Never would have guessed that she had that in her! Breathtakingly moving. Unlike anything I've seen her in, bod ore or since!

by Anonymousreply 34010/26/2013

Christian Bale, American Psycho Joaquin Phoenix, The Master

by Anonymousreply 34110/26/2013

Holly Hunter, The Piano Gérard Depardieu, Cyrano Most things with Patrick Dewaere Kirsten Dunst, Melancholia Most things with DDL but Pete Postlethwaite, In the Name of the Father

by Anonymousreply 34210/26/2013

The actor who played the devastated husband of Julie Christie's Alzheimer's plagued character in "Away From Her."

by Anonymousreply 34310/26/2013

Michael Fassbender's penis in "Shame"

by Anonymousreply 34410/26/2013

Jill Clayburgh in AN UNMARRIED WOMAN.

by Anonymousreply 34510/26/2013

Heath Ledger in Brokeback Moutain

by Anonymousreply 34610/26/2013

Dirk Bogarde, "Death in Venice."

The entire cast of the original "Lord of the Flies."

Ivan Jandl, the little boy in Montgomery Clift's "The Search."

Susan Hayward, "I Want to Live."

by Anonymousreply 34710/26/2013

Sorry 319, James Spader in that BLACKOUT monologue delivers a performance that any one of a thousand reasonably trained actor could do in acting class. He's James Spader so, of course, it must be considered brilliant when it is, in fact, quite pedestrian. This thread is for awe-inspiring performances, not audition monologues competently delivered.

by Anonymousreply 34810/26/2013

Leonardo DiCaprio was stunning in "Blood Diamonds"; lost "Best Actor" to Forrest Whitaker.

by Anonymousreply 34910/26/2013

Kerry Fox and Mark Rylance (whom you might know from his stage work: he's won two leading actor Tonys since this performance) in "Intimacy". This film also is one of the few non-porn works in which the lead actress is shown taking the lead actor's penis into her mouth.

The two leads in "Blue is the Warmest Color". The sex scenes are the worst thing in it, but I could watch those two actresses (with their clothes on!)do scenes together for another three hours.

Carmen Maura in Almodóvar's "Law of Desire". For those who are familiar mainly with his later work she also played the mother in "Volver".

by Anonymousreply 35010/26/2013

Can anyone explain Halle Berry in 'Monster's Ball'? I thought she was camptastic - especially when she raged on her little fat son for stashing the candy bars.

It's like watching Mink Stole in 'Desperate Living' without the benefits of Edie Massey and John Waters.

by Anonymousreply 35110/27/2013

Frances McDormand in [italic]Fargo[/italic].

by Anonymousreply 35210/27/2013

Tim Curry in THE ROCKY HORROR PICTURE SHOW.

by Anonymousreply 35310/27/2013

Everyone in "Wendy and Lucy" including the dog.

Everyone in "Take Shelter" including the extras.

Kylie Minogue in "Holy Motors"--small part but total amazing revelation which eliminates any memory of her earlier acting attempts over the years.

by Anonymousreply 35410/27/2013

Ann Dowd and Dreama Walker in "Compliance". It was good to see a young ingenue like Dreama keep pace with a seasoned pro like Ann.

by Anonymousreply 35510/27/2013

Barbara Stanwyck in ALL I DESIRE

by Anonymousreply 35610/27/2013

Watch this scene with Sandra Bullock and Elizabeth Perkins (who is wonderful in just about everything) in 28 DAYS.

Bullock is an alcoholic in rehab who is estranged from her older sister (Perkins). Perkins has left a rehab-mandated intervention in disgust. Their mother, an alcoholic, died when they were both small children.

I'd always enjoyed Bullock but thought she was pretty lightweight until this movie.

by Anonymousreply 35710/27/2013

R12-

Anne Hathaway deserves her spot.

I decided to watch that clip, and cried like a baby at the end. Heath Ledger was amazing too.

by Anonymousreply 35810/27/2013

I agree with so many of these posts. .. Just reading some of them brings tears to my eyes.

by Anonymousreply 35910/27/2013

Dianne Weisst sp? in INDEPENDENCE DAY, not to be confused with that alient feature.

Kim Stanley in THE GODDESS and SEANCE ON A WET AFTERNOON

Jane Fonda in THEY SHOOT HORSES, DON'T THEY? and THE DOLL MAKER

ANN-MARGRET in CARNAL KNOWLEDGE

LIZA MINNELLI in THE STERILE CUCKOO

CLORIS LEACHMAN in THE LAST PICTURE SHOW

MARION COTILLARD in PIAF

GREGORY PECK,ROBERT DUVALL and MARY BADFORD in TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD

ANNE BANCROFT and PATTY DUKE in THE MIRACLE WORKER

PETER O'TOOLE in LAWRENCE OF ARABIA

MONTGOMERY CLIFT in A PLACE IN THE SUN

EVERYONE in Robert Altman's NASHVILLE

MIA FARROW and RUTH GORDON in ROSEMARY'S BABY

and finally.... FABIAN, not for his performance but for his body and shirtless scenes in any of his movies ;)

by Anonymousreply 36010/27/2013

I KNOW, R359-

I have read the first 100...and just CAN'T!

When these people do this, open themselves up like this, show human pain like this...that is one of the beauties of human freedom (capitalism)- the ability to expose ourselves without worrying about the consequences.

by Anonymousreply 36110/27/2013

Another vote for Charlize Theron "Monster". The scene where she kills the guy after finding the picture of him and his wheelchair bound wife tore me apart. You could tell the character hated what she was doing, but still could not stop herself. To this day when I think of that scene I get goosebumps.

Lili Taylor in I Shot Andy Warhol. With in the first two minutes she was on the screen, I remember thinking, "I've met people like this. People like this are dangerous." She had that character so down, it was really amazing to watch.

by Anonymousreply 36210/27/2013

Derek Jacobi-"I Claudius"

Sian Phillips-"I Claudius"

Bette Davis-" Whatever Happened To Baby Jane?"

Humphrey Bogart- "The Caine Mutiny" "The Harder They Fall"

by Anonymousreply 36310/27/2013

Natasha Richardson in the 1998 Sam Mendes/ Rob Marshall revival of CABARET @Roundabout Theatre Company. She was brilliant,devastating,sad... a total nervous breakdown on stage.

by Anonymousreply 36410/27/2013

Richard Burton, "Night of the Iguana."

Paul Scofield, "A Man For All Seasons."

Audie Murphy, "The Red Badge of Courage."

The entire cast of "A Streetcar Named Desire."

And for damn sheer beauty, Leonard Whiting and Olivia Hussey, "Romeo and Juliet."

by Anonymousreply 36510/27/2013

R363: "I, Claudius" was porn for people with a brain.

by Anonymousreply 36610/27/2013

Thanks R364.

That's how it should be done. Not a show about pretty music, Richardson was fantastic.

by Anonymousreply 36710/31/2013

I adore Marion Cotillard's Edith Piaf in La Vi'en Rose. I was speechless. Awestruck. She just rips your heart out. "Marcel!!!"

by Anonymousreply 36810/31/2013

Barbara Stanwyck in The Thorn Birds. The whole project was perfect but this three minute scene is about as good as an actress can get.

by Anonymousreply 36910/31/2013

Javier Bardem in Before Night Falls.

Marlon Brando in On the Waterfront.

Marion Cotillard as Edith Piaf.

Ralph Fiennes in Schindler's List.

Daniel Day Lewis in Lincoln.

Halle Berry, Heath Ledger in Monster's Ball.

by Anonymousreply 37010/31/2013

Charlize Theron owns this thread.

HM: Halle Berry in Monsters Ball

by Anonymousreply 37110/31/2013

Kelly Preston in her marriage to John Travolta.

by Anonymousreply 37210/31/2013

Julianne Moore in "Magnolia"

by Anonymousreply 37310/31/2013

Bette Davis: "Jezebel"

James Cagney: "Angels with Dirty Faces"

Marlon Brando: "On the Waterfront"

Hugh Dancy in the play, "Journey's End"

There's many more, but these popped up first in my mind.

by Anonymousreply 37410/31/2013

Vanessa Redgrave in "Loves of Isadora." Damn, but she was magnificent.

by Anonymousreply 37510/31/2013

I try to discount great writing/directing, whch can make a good actor appear better than they are. I watch soaps a lot, and sometimes you get to see future stars in the "minor leagues," and it's always fun to see them when they're giving their all to move ehad in their career, for so many minutes each day, knowing that they often have only a day to rehearse, and one take to film.

Recently, I thought Sonjia Kinsski turned "Diamond On Vinyl" into a classic indie film. Without her I'd have been bored in seconds. The film has done well at festivals and Sonjia seems to have the talent everyone kept trying to pin on her mother.

On the soaps, I remember disliking Demi Moore's work on GH as much as I would dislike her films, yet wonder how she ever made it to films. Generally on soaps, I'm most impressed when an actor delivers a mistake-free, nuanced performance of material that most of his or her peers would have butchered. It's not dazzling acting to the untrained eye, but any producer or director can see the talent that will carry the actor to the next level.

Sometimes an over-the-top performance, like Craig T. Nelson in "The Skulls," or Denzel Washington in "Training Day," can be awe-inspiring. Sharon Stone in "Casino" is an example of what I consider someone performing way above their norm; her only really great work, just like Kim Basinger in LA Confidential.

On television, Stana Katic ran for a touchdown with "Mistress" Kate Beckett, while Emma Bell was so strong on Dallas she's become one of the leads or near-leads; I'd give a slight nod to Bell here due to her having less to work with, i.e., not a great character.

Sometimes I respect an actor who does more with a script than the writing warrants. Watch Kristin Davis in "Blacktop" against Meat Loaf for someone giving her all when she had every reason not to. For a more famous actor and performance, Burgess Meredith's Mickey in Rocky was phenomenal. From the same year, it's difficult to imagine Network without Peter Finch. Peter Falk's turn in The In-Laws in 1979 made that film as well.

For "awe," I think the soaps are the place to go, because it's shocking when soeone doesn't totally fuck up. Below is a link to a scene from GH where sixteen year-old Lexi Ainsworth, a rookie, takes over an emotionally charged scene with Maurice Benard. The scene wasn't a writing standout, but everything from her body language, to voice tone, to timing, were all stellar, when most soapies would have waved their armsw like traffic cops and screamed like the female victim in a Lifetime Movie. Not surprsingly, Lexi is now making films and has done a pilot for ABC. Right now on GH I'd say Bryan Craig (Morgan), Perry Shen (Brad), and Kristen Alderson (Kiki) are most likely to graduate to prime time.

It's hard to define what makes a great performance, or a performance which signals a great actor. That's my concept, and I'm sure many won't agree with it, but it works for me.

by Anonymousreply 37611/01/2013

Lol@376, are you for real? Stana katic, meat loaf, Kristen Davis, Burgess Meredith? I'm pissing my fucking pants over here!!

by Anonymousreply 37711/01/2013

glenn close in fatal attraction. i was left speechless as a teen.

by Anonymousreply 37811/01/2013

R376, um, what?

That entire post seemed like it was copied and pasted from a soap opera message board.

by Anonymousreply 37911/01/2013

I forgot all about Peter O' Toole in Lawrence of Arabia. He was Lawrence.

by Anonymousreply 38011/01/2013

David Thewlis in Naked. Incredible.

Richard Grant and Richard Griffiths in Withnail & I.

by Anonymousreply 38111/01/2013

Plus the incredible juxtaposition of Daniel Day Lewis in My Beautiful Laundrette contrasted with A Room With a View.

by Anonymousreply 38211/01/2013

Dustin Hoffman in Death of a Salesman (1985)

by Anonymousreply 38311/01/2013

Glenda Jackson in ELIZABETH R Kathleen Turner in WAR OF THE ROSES

by Anonymousreply 38411/01/2013

Hoffman in Midnight Cowboy.

by Anonymousreply 38511/01/2013

Pacino and Cazale in Dog Day Afternoon

by Anonymousreply 38611/01/2013

Laurie Metcalf in Making Mr. Right. Comedic roles often get over looked but this performance should not be missed.

by Anonymousreply 38711/18/2013

I scanned this thread. I think only 1 or 2 mentions of Cate Blanchett - for shame ! Cate Blanchett in Blue Jasmine, The Shipping News and a zillion other films.

Heath Ledger in Brokeback Mountain and Monsters Ball.

Ralph Fiennes from Schlindler's List.

Something more recent: Aaron Paul in Breaking Bad. So good.

Philip Seymour Hoffman in anything.

Meryl Streep in Doubt and some other things (sometimes she has been too mannered though).

by Anonymousreply 38811/18/2013

R243 Great scene, Lisa Kudrow was fantastic on that show.

More votes here for Brenda Blethyn (Secrets and Lies), Ulrich Muhe (The Lifes of Others), Toni Collette (Muriel's Wedding), Meryl Streep (A Cry in the Dark, Sophie's Choice) and Forest Whitaker (Last King of Scotland)

I'll add Delphine Seyrig in "Jeanne Dielman, 23 Quai du Commerce, 1080 Bruxelles"

by Anonymousreply 38911/18/2013

Chiwetel Ejiofor in 12 Years a Slave.

by Anonymousreply 39011/18/2013

Stuart Whitman in THE MARK which is currently on TCM on Demand and, I think, Netflix.

Never heard of the movie and was never all that impressed with Stu even though I always thought he was gorgeous.

I don't know how the fuck they got away with making a movie about child molestation back in '61 but it's a powerful film and Whitman is astonishing. And, he was rewarded with an Oscar nomination.

Sad that they copped out with a semi-happy ending but, hey, it was 1961.

by Anonymousreply 39102/23/2014

Suzanne Somers - The Blonde in the Thunderbird

by Anonymousreply 39202/23/2014

Annette Bening in Being Julia. I can't take my eyes off her. She made you believe that everyone fell in love with her. And then showed us the woman's deep insecurities and fear of people catching on that she's really not the great actress they think she is.

And there's nothing more ravishing that Bening's aging face, untouched by a plastic surgeon.

by Anonymousreply 39302/23/2014

Burl Ives as big daddy Pollit in Cat on a hot tin roof

Henry Fonda as Norman Thayer Jr. in On Golden Pond

by Anonymousreply 39402/23/2014

Bruce Davison in Longtime Companion

by Anonymousreply 39502/23/2014

Michael Keaton in Clean and Sober

by Anonymousreply 39602/23/2014

I agree with (R321) Sandy Dennis in come back to the five and dime Jimmy Dean Jimmy dean

Richard Burton as George in who's afraid of Virginia Woolf

by Anonymousreply 39702/23/2014

I used to think that Heath Ledger was just a pretty boy actor, but that changed when I saw him in Monster's Ball.

Jessica Lange still gives me the chills in Frances. And, Diana Ross in Lady Sings The Blues.

by Anonymousreply 39802/23/2014

DiCaprio in The Basketball Diaries. The scene where he begs his mom to let him in the house gave me chills!

by Anonymousreply 39902/23/2014

I remember reading that some director once said of Sandy Dennis (paraphrasing)"she is the only person capable of putting a pause in the middle of an "Uh" I loved her im "who's afraid of Virginia Woolf" and "come back to the five and dime Jimmy Dean Jimmy Dean"

by Anonymousreply 40002/23/2014

Cate Blanchette in Elizabeth

by Anonymousreply 40102/23/2014

Another vote for Marion Cotillard in La Vie en Rose. I walked out of the theatre and told my friend that worked there 'Marion Cotillard is going to win the Oscar for best actress and she did.

by Anonymousreply 40202/23/2014

Heath Ledger in Brokeback Mountain

Dylan O'Brien in Teen Wolf

Matthew McConaughey in True Detective

by Anonymousreply 40302/23/2014

Beatrice Strait in "Network" Probably a few minutes of screen time but it had such impact.

How about 1 scene performances that are like the best thing in a movie or tv show?

I remember Uta Hagen had one scene in that travesty "Boys From Brazil" and stole the movie.

by Anonymousreply 40402/23/2014

forgot to include link

Straight in "Network"

by Anonymousreply 40502/23/2014

Another vote for Maggie Smith in "The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie."

The entire cast of "Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?"

by Anonymousreply 40602/23/2014

Hmmm....Brando in On the Waterfront, Miranda Richardson in Damage, to name two of my favorite performances. Jude Law in "Road to Perdition" -- he was so disgusting I can't call it a favorite but he was fabulous. Daniel Day-Lewis in My Left Foot. Emma Thompson and Anthony Hopkins in Remains of the Day. Timothy Hutton in Ordinary People. Paul Newman in The Verdict, definitely. I have many others but can't think of them right now.

And if we're doing stage, Vanessa Redgrave in Long Day's Journey, Maggie Smith in Lettice and Lovage.

by Anonymousreply 40702/23/2014

someone mentioned favorite one scene

Plaza Suite with Maggie Smith and Michael Caine before the Oscars

The scene on the stairs between Kim Novak and Jimmy Stewart as he drags her to the tower in Vertigo.

Benedict Cumberbatch in Third Star - entire performance

by Anonymousreply 40802/23/2014

McConaughey in True Detective. Spellbinding.

by Anonymousreply 40902/23/2014

Miss Angela Lansbury as mother of the year in "The Manchurian Candidate."

by Anonymousreply 41002/23/2014

I like Bogey in just about everything he ever did, but my fave is "In a Lonely Place". Very underrated. Bogey does a better "quiet crazy" here than in "The Caine Mutiny" IMHO

Dame Judy in "Notes on a Scandal". Incredible

Jane Alexander in "Testament". Quiet, stalwart courage in the face of Judgment Day.

Both Lemmon & Spacek in "Missing", but esp Lemmon.

Jessica in "Frances". Heart-wrenching

Glenda Jackson in "Elizabeth R" The scene with her & Vanessa Redgrave was astonishing. The screen crackled.

M in "Doubt". She WAS every Catholic school principal nun that ever existed.

Javier Bardem in "No Country for Old Men". Gave me the willies for the entire flick, and beyond

Brando, "On the Waterfront" & "Streetcar"

Walter Matthau in "Plaza Suite". Cracks me up to this day.

Dame Maggie in "Miss Jean Brodie". And Pamela Franklin did an amazing job in her role.

Anna Magnani, "Rose Tattoo"

Fonda in "Klute", and yes, "Barbarella" (a guilty pleasure)

Audrey Hepburn, "A Nun's Tale" & "Don't Be Afraid of the Dark"

Loren in "Two Women".

Pacino in Scarface, although I hated the movie. DeNiro in Raging Bull & Casino

Joe Pesci in Goodfellas

by Anonymousreply 41102/23/2014

Film wise:

Fassbender -Shame Dicaprio - What's eating Gilbert Grape Penn -Mystic River and I Am Sam

For the most heartbreaking thing I've seen recently, I would have to look to tv. Jodie Whittaker in Broadchurch broke my heart every scene she was in.

by Anonymousreply 41202/23/2014

Amy Jo Johnson in Turbo: A Power Rangers Movie

by Anonymousreply 41302/23/2014

The donkey in AU HASARD BALTHAZAR. His death just tears me to shreds.

Tilda Swinton, no slouch as an actor, said all actors should aspire to what he does in Bresson's movie.

by Anonymousreply 41402/23/2014

Naomi Watts: Mulhollad Drive

by Anonymousreply 41502/23/2014

Lea Seydoux in Sister

Meryl Streep in the Iron Lady

Tom Cruise in Born on the Fourth of July.

by Anonymousreply 41602/23/2014

Gielgud-Richardson-Kitchen in Pinter's NO MAN'S LAND. On Youtube for your awe-struck pleasure.

by Anonymousreply 41702/23/2014

Judy Garland in a "A Star is Born" & "I Could Go on Singing".

Beatrice Straight in "Network".

Elizabeth Taylor "Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?"

Peter Finch "Network".

by Anonymousreply 41802/23/2014

They never play Rose Tattoo anymore. My mom used tell me to get sleep or I'll look like Anna Maloni (however u spell it)

by Anonymousreply 41902/23/2014

[quote]Audrey Hepburn, "A Nun's Tale" & "Don't Be Afraid of the Dark"

Uhm, no...that was "Wait Until Dark"

by Anonymousreply 42002/23/2014

Kirsten Dunst in Melancholia

Toby Jones as Truman Capote in Infamous.

Bjork in Dancer in the Dark.

Jeremy Brett in every Sherlock Holmes episode he did.

Joan Hickson as Marple as well.

by Anonymousreply 42102/23/2014

can we include Television?

Glenda Jackson in Elizabeth R

by Anonymousreply 42202/23/2014

Aaron Taylor-Johnson - Chatroom

Shawn Hatosy - Soldier's Girl

by Anonymousreply 42302/23/2014

Kirsten Dunst in Interview With A Vampire. She actually outplayed her co-stars Tommy and Brad.

by Anonymousreply 42402/23/2014

Many of my faves have been mentioned here, but I'd like to add two that were overlooked:

1) Marlee Matlin, Children of a Lesser God

2) Tilda Swinton, We Need to Talk about Kevin

by Anonymousreply 42502/23/2014

The most outstandingly moving performance I've ever seen on stage, screen or television, was Kim Stanley's Masha in the 1964 Broadway revival of [italic]The Three Sisters[/italic]. In the 50 years since I haven't seen any performance come close to equaling it. Stanley was so touching in the role that I found myself returning 7 times in the 4 month run.

by Anonymousreply 42602/23/2014

Vanessa Redgrave in The Devils OWNS this thread. NO ONE has EVER gone that far and makes it work.

by Anonymousreply 42702/23/2014

Does it gave to be a movie?

Currently watching TD and Matthew McConaughey is leaving me in awe.

by Anonymousreply 42802/23/2014

[quote]Does it gave to be a movie? Currently watching TD and Matthew McConaughey is leaving me in awe.

Of course TV counts, but speaking of McConaughey, there were a couple of scenes in Dallas Buyers Club (both of them showing his character crying) that were the rawest, realest emotion I've seen on screen in years.

by Anonymousreply 42902/23/2014

Drew Barrymore and Luke Wilson

by Anonymousreply 43002/23/2014

yeah, can't believe it but I love True Detective

by Anonymousreply 43102/24/2014

r404, I agree it is amazing what some actors can do with one scene.

This guy isn't famous, but this scene from Boardwalk Empire was pretty amazing.

by Anonymousreply 43202/24/2014

Kathleen Turner - Peggy Sue Got Married. She really embodied being a teenager not by trying to look like one, but by realistically portraying the mannerisms and awkwardness we all suffered at that age.

by Anonymousreply 43302/24/2014

Gwyneth Paltrow in Shakespeare in Love

by Anonymousreply 43402/24/2014

Janes Lapotaire in PIAF

Kate Nelligan in PLENTY

by Anonymousreply 43502/24/2014

R420: OMG, you're right...I have no idea why I wrote that incorrectly. Thanks for the correction..

by Anonymousreply 43602/24/2014

Charlize Theron in Monster

Meryl Streep and Jack Nicholson in Iron Weed

Meryl Streep in everything

Nicholas Cage in Leaving Las Vegas

Many more.

by Anonymousreply 43702/24/2014

R408, it was California Suite, not Plaza Suite.

by Anonymousreply 43802/24/2014

agreed r432, great scene. I know I have seen that actor before but can't remember where. It looks like a Scorsese scene. Maybe he directed it. Anyway the guy is excellent in it.

Judith Light rocked a courtroom scene on OLTL in the late 70's

link at bottom

by Anonymousreply 43902/24/2014

Ryan Gossling - The Believer

He is the future of acting is this movie.

by Anonymousreply 44002/24/2014

R433, another vote for Kathleen Turner as Peggy Sue.

by Anonymousreply 44102/24/2014

Jessica Lange-American Horror Story (AS1)

by Anonymousreply 44202/24/2014

Olivier in The Entertainer

by Anonymousreply 44302/24/2014

PSH in Capote

by Anonymousreply 44402/24/2014

Harvey Keitel should have won an Oscar for Reservoir Dogs.

by Anonymousreply 44502/24/2014

Someone should start a thread Performances by actors that left you in awe on the stage?

If there isn't one already.

by Anonymousreply 44602/24/2014

Brian Denehy-Death of a Salesman

by Anonymousreply 44702/24/2014

Original salesman Lee J. Cobb in Twelve Angry Men

by Anonymousreply 44802/24/2014

Rylance, Jerusalem

by Anonymousreply 44902/25/2014

although I normally don't like her agree with those who mention Kathleen Turner in Peggy Sue.

Stage: Mark Rylance in Jerusalem, saw it in London with an English audience, incredible.

also not a Boardwalk Empire fan but the clip at r432 is from an acting perspective, great.

by Anonymousreply 45002/27/2014

Rosie O'Donnell in "Riding The Bus With My Sister."

by Anonymousreply 45102/27/2014

Diane Keaton in "Looking for Mr. Goodbar".

by Anonymousreply 45202/27/2014

Anthony Hopkins in SILENCE OF THE LAMBS and THE REMAINS OF THE DAY....

Kathy Bates in MISERY

Reese Witherspoon in ELECTION (and to a lesser extent, FREEWAY)

Susan Sarandon in DEAD MAN WALKING

by Anonymousreply 45302/27/2014

John C. Reilly in Dewey Cox.

by Anonymousreply 45402/27/2014

Leo in what's eating Gilbert

by Anonymousreply 45502/27/2014

Jennifer Lawrence in Winter's Bone

by Anonymousreply 45602/27/2014

Olivier in Sister Carrie

stage Maggie Smith in Lettuce and Lovage Vanessa Redgrave in Long Day's Journey Cherry Jones in Doubt David Suchet in Amadeus Benedict Cumberbstch in Frankenstein Linda Lavin in Tale of the Allergist's Wife Daniel Craig in A Steady Rain

by Anonymousreply 45702/28/2014

Carroll O'Conner when he finally comes to terms with the fact that Edith is dead. The scene with him saying his goodbyes and breaking down and crying is acting at it's finest.

by Anonymousreply 45802/28/2014

Here's a gem nobody ever mentions: the delightfully demonic Brad Dourif's raging bloodthirst in "The Exorcist III." If that intense motherfucker doesn't scare the living bejesus out of you, nothing will.

by Anonymousreply 45902/28/2014

Vera Farmiga- Down To The Bone

by Anonymousreply 46002/28/2014

[bold]Marilyn Chambers in [italic]Insatiable[/italic][/bold]

by Anonymousreply 46102/28/2014

Obscure but I love Jan Michael Vincent and Joan Goodfellow in "Buster and Billie".

by Anonymousreply 46202/28/2014

Raquel Welch in Woman of the Year left me in awe because of how amateurish her performance was. Stopping the orchestra to begin songs again, conversing with people in the front row during the show and breaking up during her scene with Marilyn Cooper as though she were on The Carol Burnett Show.

by Anonymousreply 46302/28/2014

JMV went full frontal in "Buster and Billie".

by Anonymousreply 46402/28/2014

Judith Light in One Life To LIve -the murder trial. "I WAS A PROSTITUTE!"

by Anonymousreply 46502/28/2014

Amy Jo Johnson in Susie Q

by Anonymousreply 46602/28/2014

Joaquin Phoenix- return to paradise Tim Robbins- mystic river

by Anonymousreply 46702/28/2014

r439 beat you to it r465, but it was a great scene for Judith Light.

Honestly can you imagine M being able to pull off anything that raw and out of control?

by Anonymousreply 46802/28/2014

Not the greatest film ever, but Sonjia Kinsski in Diamond On Vinyl was way better than anyone has a right to expect. Just wanted to give the film some props as most wouldn't know it.

In a way, I'd say Madonna in League Of Their Own, with the "awe" that she capably handled her supporting role without chewing up the scenery or making any of her normal acting mistakes.

Denzel Washington in Carbon Copy wasn't bad. Same for Peter Falk in The In Laws. Also from the 1980s, I'd say Christopher Lloyd ni Back To The Future was great.

by Anonymousreply 46902/28/2014

Yes he did R464. Shocking for 1974.

by Anonymousreply 47002/28/2014

For most unexpected, Bruce Willis in Die Hard.

by Anonymousreply 47102/28/2014

Melissa Leo in "Frozen River."

by Anonymousreply 47202/28/2014

Carrie Preston as Elsbeth Talascio on The Good Wife.

Jaleel White as Steve Urkel, a character originally intended for a single episode.

by Anonymousreply 47302/28/2014

Kate Winslet in Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

by Anonymousreply 47402/28/2014

R474, that should have been her Oscar.

by Anonymousreply 47502/28/2014

Daniel Day-Lewis: My Left Foot Ralph Fiennes and Liam Neeson: Schindler's List Christian Bale: The Fighter

by Anonymousreply 47602/28/2014

Joaquin Phoenix in THE MASTER.

by Anonymousreply 47702/28/2014

Michelle Williams, Kenneth Branagh and Judi Dench in My Week With Marilyn

PSH in The Master

Javier Bardem in Before Night Falls

Andrew Garfield in Never Let Me Go

Sam Rockwell in Moon

by Anonymousreply 47802/28/2014

Derek Jacobi in "I, Claudius" and in the same production John Hurt as Caligula.

by Anonymousreply 47902/28/2014
Need more help? Click Here.