Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Anderson is on board to make a 'Splash'

Dancing With the Stars? Old news.

It's time for 10 celebs to make a real Splash.

ABC's new reality show, Splash, kicks off Tuesday (8 ET/PT), with stars who will take the plunge — off a platform and springboard diving board. They've been mentored by Olympian Greg Louganis. They'll be judged by U.S. gold medalist David Boudia and Australian Olympic athlete and USA Dive Team director Steve Foley. And as on Dancing, they're vying for a coveted new Splash trophy.

This marks Anderson's debut in reality TV!

See inside for more details.

by Anonymousreply 3404/30/2013

While it's easy to see how hotties such as Katherine Webb, Kendra Wilkinson, Keshia Knight Pulliam and Nicole Eggert would have no qualms about slipping into a swimsuit, and athletes including NFL star Ndamukong Suh, and NBA great Kareem Abdul Jabbar are no strangers to competitive sports, comedian Louie Anderson has found himself to be a fish particularly out of water.

"Of course, every fat person does not want to put on a bathing suit," he tells USA TODAY, knowing that jokes are being cracked at his expense. "On Twitter, people say I can't wait to see Louie in a Speedo."

That's partly why he agreed to be on the show. Anderson, who turns 60 this month, grew up in Minnesota. He taught himself how to swim when he was 55. This is the first time he's tried to dive.

"I'm doing it for every fat person or every person who's afraid to do it. I represent all the people on the couch. Seven weeks ago, I was on a couch watching TV. I want to inspire people who are on their couch and laying in bed to find their pool or their Splash or their thing. I've never been more active in my life."

He says he's lost "7 to 10 pounds" since he got in the pool. He's been working four to five days a week, three hours each day.

"I definitely have lost a bunch of inches," he says, adding, "a really funny thing" happened recently. "I was coming up the jetway from the plane. I had my bags in my hands, and my pants my fell down! When you're fat you don't wear a belt, and when you fly you don't wear a belt."

He says, "A woman who was walking behind me hiked 'em right back up. I kept walking. It was such a funny, weird thing!"

Anderson's attitude toward the show? "This should be fun. Whoever would think they'd make a show where you dive and that they would pick me as one of the celebrities?"

It hasn't all been poolside fun. The show was first named Stars in Danger, somewhat appropriate as Chelsea Handler's assistant, Chuy Bravo, had been training along with Anderson, until he broke his heel earlier this week. But he can't really blame the diving for his accident: He jumped on a table on the first day of taping near the pool and it broke, according to ABC. (He's still on the show, but soccer star Brandi Chastain is taking his diving place.)

Anderson says, "I've hurt my neck a couple of times by not keeping my arms straight. My neck broke the fall more than my hands. So that really hurts. I have hit that water so hard that I just arrgggh."

And there was the time he had to be pulled out by Louganis and Suh. He says he got twisted around in the water. "I thought I was going up, but was going down. I got water in my lungs. I started coughing." He adds, "I was a little scared. I went home that day."

Every time he gets up on the platform, "I look down at the water and go, 'Are you out of your mind?" Then I steel myself and say, 'Oh well, this is something that you get to say you can do.' But mostly it's just each time kind of overcoming the fear. Not just one time — every time for that split second."

As for injuries, he says he's not alone. "Every single athlete is always hurt. It doesn't matter. Everybody on the show has slammed into the water and been hurt. Kareem hit wrong and Kendra hit wrong. Nicole. If you don't do it right, it can split your head open."

Although he's "a little nervous," Anderson says, "I am ready. I'm prepared. I have worked really hard. I couldn't even get out in the pool on my own to begin with. I've grown.

It's his chance to "touch the top of the ceiling," he says. "You know in gym class, when you have to climb the rope? I never could climb the rope. This is my chance to not only climb the rope but put my initials up there."

by Anonymousreply 103/19/2013

Anyone watching? Go Louie!

by Anonymousreply 203/19/2013

That shot of him just starting to go over the edge in the commercial is an eye-popper. It's actually got me to watch tonight.

by Anonymousreply 303/19/2013

At least on the Fox diving show, they had hot guys in Speedos

by Anonymousreply 403/19/2013

I thought Anderson Cooper was going to be on and got all excited!

by Anonymousreply 503/19/2013

This is going to be good, I will definitely be watching. I try and watch DWTS but it's always boring to me. This could have some shit go wrong, even that dumb "Skating with the Stars" show was still too safe and was on land. Already on the commercial they showed one of the girls (maybe Keshia) kind of falling and sliding down the diving board on her stomach, it looked painful. These people will earn their money more so than the dancing fools. On DWTS, Wynonna didn't even move, just did a "oh no you didn't!" neck and finger snap.

by Anonymousreply 603/19/2013

Very underwhelming. I won't watch again.

by Anonymousreply 703/19/2013

Bring back "Battle of the Network Stars"!

by Anonymousreply 803/19/2013

I liked the show. I'm rooting for Louie. I think all the guys scores were inflated. The rank should have been 1. skier, 2. model, 3. Louie, 4. Kareem, 5. Cosby kid. I'm looking forward to next week when Drake Bell dives.

by Anonymousreply 903/19/2013

Yes R8

by Anonymousreply 1003/19/2013

Drake did good. He has a nice body. He is one to watch for.

Last week, I said the men's scores were inflated. Well this week it was the women's scores that were inflated. I would rank them: 1. Drake, 2. Sue, 3. Brandy, 4. Baywatch babe, 5. Playmate.

by Anonymousreply 1103/26/2013

Rudy got voted off first? Did she suck that bad?

by Anonymousreply 1203/26/2013

R12 Ruby dove off the lowest springboard of any celebrity and she made a big splash. She was the worst out of the 10 celebrities competing.

by Anonymousreply 1303/26/2013

Kendra was a drama queen and Drake was too cocky. Just dive and shut up.

by Anonymousreply 1403/26/2013

It's a fun show to watch so far. But, has David Boudia come out yet? He's so gay. Drake reminds me of a young Luke Perry

by Anonymousreply 1503/26/2013

nicole lost a lot of weight.

by Anonymousreply 1603/26/2013

The judges scores are too subjective. Drake does a better dive than Nicole, but is scored lower (because he's young and fit?).

You can also clearly tell they're creating a lot of drama that isn't there.

by Anonymousreply 1703/26/2013

Oops, sorry!

by Anonymousreply 1803/26/2013

Joey Lawrence is one fine femme.

by Anonymousreply 1903/27/2013

Joey Lawrence is the perfect example of metrosexual. Shaved eyebrows and forearms.

The man is not sexy at all.

by Anonymousreply 2003/27/2013

I think I was sold when they showed the rehearsal footage of Nicole Eggert falling off the diving board.

by Anonymousreply 2103/27/2013

[quote]Joey Lawrence is the perfect example of metrosexual.

No, metrosexuals still retain some manly attractiveness. Joey is a femme.

by Anonymousreply 2203/27/2013

Louis made a return tonight. The model left the competition supposedly because of an injury she got from last week's dive. That meant Louis would return. Louis was the first dive. He just jumped off the 33 meter platform. The judges gave him way too high scores. The judging has been really inconsistent. Drake Bell does a great job with most of the dive yet always spreads his legs and go into the water backward. He would be at the top of the leaderboard if he didn't do those things. Nicole and the skier did really well.

by Anonymousreply 2304/16/2013

God, I thought it was Anderson Cooper! Didn't surprise me but it seemed a little soon yet for him to sink that low.

by Anonymousreply 2404/16/2013

I thought the same thing R24.

by Anonymousreply 2504/16/2013

Joey is still packing some ass in those jeans.

by Anonymousreply 2604/16/2013

I want to be the mayonnaise in a Drake/Rory sandwich.

by Anonymousreply 2704/16/2013

Is there going to be a show of celebrities on the toilet?

by Anonymousreply 2804/16/2013

[quote]Joey is still packing some ass in those jeans.

Too bad about the face and hair, though.

I just don't understand what happened to him. Of course I don't expect him to look exactly like he did on Blossom, but he looks TOTALLY different now. His hair is orange and his face looks like it's had some bad "work" done on it.

by Anonymousreply 2904/16/2013

I would have graded the celebrities this week as 1. Rory, 2. Nicole, 3. Drake, 4. Brandi, 5. Kareem, 6. Louis.

by Anonymousreply 3004/17/2013

This show is absurd.

by Anonymousreply 3104/17/2013

Anderson Cooper's brother is famous for making a splash by diving from a high place.

by Anonymousreply 3204/17/2013

What did you think of this week's episode? The celebrities had to synchronize dive with pre-teen divers. Drake once again messed up on his entry. He was really mad. He's the still the only one that looks like a pro diver. Nicole has emerged as a dark horse who may win. She did good again this week. Rory went back to landing in the water feet first because of his ruptured eardrum. I thought he had a chance to win at the beginning of the season. It's unlikely now. Brandi did really good this week.

by Anonymousreply 3304/25/2013

Intense episode tonight. Drake said some comments about Rory getting by with diving feet first. Rory came in first which meant he automatically goes to the final. Nicole was 2nd, Drake 3rd and Brandi 4th. Drake once again over rotated with his feet apart. Brandi totally messed up. Those three then did a dive off. Drake finally dove in correctly. He made the smallest splash of the competition so far. Brandi was cut.

by Anonymousreply 3404/30/2013
Need more help? Click Here.