Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Well, I've been out of work for 2 1/2 years

I've got a good shot at a job with a grooming/kennel facility attached to a vet clinic near my house. Probably only minimum wage but I can wear scrubs and I like animals.

Money is money right?

by Anonymousreply 5203/20/2013

Right.

by Anonymousreply 103/19/2013

YES take it. 2 1/2 years is a very long time you are lucky to be getting something.

by Anonymousreply 203/19/2013

Definitely take it. Yes, money is money and it's always easier to find a new job when you already have a job.

by Anonymousreply 303/19/2013

Yep. You can keep looking if you decide it isn't for you or the money isn't enough but at least you have work. Good luck.

by Anonymousreply 403/19/2013

How old are you?

by Anonymousreply 503/19/2013

Mid-40's R5. I actually think I'm getting to an age where no corps want to hire me.

by Anonymousreply 603/19/2013

It is harder to find a job in your 40s. Take it, OP.

by Anonymousreply 703/19/2013

I know the feeling, OP. I was out of work entirely for 7 months, and out of full-time work for 4.5 YEARS (I am 45). I will be starting a full-time temp position with a Fortune 50 company at the end of the month; it could lead to a long-term position. Any job you can find and maintain is worthy of respect OP.

by Anonymousreply 803/19/2013

How do you do it OP? I have a job and still can't see paying the $18 dollars to star threads.

by Anonymousreply 903/19/2013

Savings R9 of which I am running out of. $18 is a drop in the bucket compared to mortgage, utilities, etc. Thank god my car is paid off and fairly new.

by Anonymousreply 1003/19/2013

55 and about to be laid off -- should I kill myself?

by Anonymousreply 1103/19/2013

no, don't R11

by Anonymousreply 1203/19/2013

You can find another job, r11, and the numbers for doing so are on your side. Start networking--personal, direct interactions--right now. I know it's hard to get motivated now when you're probably worn out with fear and frustration, but it's easier when you still have a job on paper.

by Anonymousreply 1303/19/2013

I have no formal education and I have health issues too.

by Anonymousreply 1403/19/2013

You got the job you have, r11 and you managed to keep it until this point. You can get another job.

by Anonymousreply 1503/19/2013

What did you do prior to this job, OP?

by Anonymousreply 1603/19/2013

Business admin R16.

by Anonymousreply 1703/19/2013

No R11. Just retire.

I would.

by Anonymousreply 1803/19/2013

Yes, OP; take the jobs. You will be doing THe Good Work. Animals are wonderful, even though you will see sad things at a vet's, of course. I'll tell you, I couldn't do it 'cause I would be emotional to the point of counter-productivity (is that a word??)

In an ideal world you would be paid more than minimum wage for this, but again: I think you should take it, and know - seriously - how much you will be appreciated.

To other posters: please hang in there, guys. Easy for me to say, on the "dole" (SS disability; I've posted before.) Posters on other threads have mentioned volunteer work as being good.

See if there is ever anything you can sell (short of things of great sentimental value):furniture, jewelry, paintings, etc.

If you lived near ME(7th circle of Hell (if there ARE that many circles??), i.e., a small town, I would totally pay you to drive me here and there. Not elderly, just don't drive anymore/can't afford a car. There might be people areound that you don't know of who could use this sort of help.

(I realize if posters live in Manhattan, I'm probaby full of shit!, sorry.)

My father (RIP some 17 years now), even on only $1000/month combo SS and retirement, paid a young, employed guy $20-30 to get groceries for him, take him to appts., etc.

THere are often elderly people who could use help with gardening, housework (!!! eeek! I know! probably a lot of you (I used to )HIRE someone youselves. I don't mean to sound demeaning. I have a cousin who was (a) married to criminal, (b) 2nd husband, NICE guy, died (in bed, on Easter); ANYway:

she was not to proud to clean house and business for a while (in Florida.)

Me? I could teach piano, BASIC computer, and blackjack (probably not much demand for the latter!)

TO the poster who is 55, and I ASSUME you're making a black-humored joke: no, please don't kill yourself! I'm in elderly/disabled housing and around any number of 85-90 year olds, and I'll tell you: they think they are as good as anyone else! It's the workplace(s) that are fucked-up, not you.

Best wishes to all.

by Anonymousreply 1903/19/2013

OP, now is the time to do what you enjoy. Stop trying to regain your past holdings. Follow your passions. It will change your life.

by Anonymousreply 2003/19/2013

Whatever it takes OP

by Anonymousreply 2103/19/2013

The pay doesn't sound great, but the job itself sounds enjoyable. That's more than a lot of people have. Good luck, OP!

by Anonymousreply 2203/19/2013

take it. if you want to move on, it will be easier finding another job if you already have one.

by Anonymousreply 2303/19/2013

yes, take it.

by Anonymousreply 2403/19/2013

That depends, OP. Working with animals is God's work but the price you pay is subjecting yourself to "animal worker" peers.

Depending on who you yourself are, you might just be robbing yourself of valuable social connections. Low paying animal jobs attract mostly uneducated, difficult personalities. People in the field distrust humans and have few social skills. They're in that line of work because they are considered odd slackers who dislike people. If you're above this station in life you'll only experience resentment from coworkers. Ambitious minded people stall and burn out in these environments. Don't let being out of the workforce for some time lower your bar. You'll be better off taking an entry level learning position in a field with room for advancement. Advancing to a management position in the animal field just makes you the top dog in a sea of strange birds. It is really about settling for what you feel you deserve. Unless you plan on starting your own grooming business and working for yourself eventually I say leave those positions for college kids.

by Anonymousreply 2503/19/2013

But will they give an entry level job that has a capacity for advancement to someone in his 40s?

by Anonymousreply 2603/19/2013

R25, I didn't think of that but the people I saw in there were very professional and older and the vet next door who owns it is actually a neighbor. I don't know him well but I do see him around. It's in a fairly upscale area and not cheap.

by Anonymousreply 2703/19/2013

Let's see - the first decade of the 2000's has been pretty pad. I've spent a total of 49 months throughout the decade without work.

So I did some consulting - kept us afloat.

But all I can find for jobs lately is consulting gigs of six months, 12 months, etc. It's ridiculous. Nobody is hiring full time.

by Anonymousreply 2803/19/2013

OP you can even branch out into this business.

Professional pooper scooper.

they are making big bucks! See link to the article below.

by Anonymousreply 2903/19/2013

I would love to retire, but need $$$ to live. Not to mention mega-millions for health insurance.

by Anonymousreply 3003/19/2013

Seriously.. is it STILL this bad in the US? We have an unemployment rate of less than 3 % in my country.

by Anonymousreply 3103/19/2013

R25, I can't believe you'd paint 'animal people' with such a wide brush! Yes, there's some odd. social misfits, but that's not true of most... I'm a pet owner, and I'm thinking of pet store employees, vets, animal rescue people, trainers, I've known... None were weirdos!

by Anonymousreply 3203/19/2013

Go for it. And good luck.

by Anonymousreply 3303/19/2013

r25 is a real Debbie Downer. And scary.

by Anonymousreply 3403/19/2013

Yes it is still that bad in the US.

I was out of work for 9 months, turned 40 during it. I took a job doing technical support for a non-profit, because they hired me, and the pay is better than anything else I interviewed for. I had been a system admin for 15 years, but I had to start at the bottom again. At least there is room for advancement.

Good luck. And R11, do not kill yourself. Even if you are a troll, I still have to say it.

by Anonymousreply 3503/19/2013

Aw R35, keep your spirits up. I know it's hard, but people like me are rotting for you.

by Anonymousreply 3603/19/2013

But, how do you find your passions, R20 ? I got laid off about 5 years ago from a job that I had for many years. Got a nice severance package and I thought, "Great, now I'll find something that I really want to do." Yeah, I took all those silly "what color is your parachute" type of tests, but test results do not equal experience. So, I found NOTHING. So, I ended up finding another job in the same field that I was in before. Happy I have a job that pays well, but not really happy.

by Anonymousreply 3703/19/2013

R18, what do you suggest the 55 yr old who is layed off live on from now until death?

One cannot even collect monthly Social Security until age 62.

Are you assuming he has a pension he can suddenly live on?

Many people do not have a decent pension from their company and need to live on Social Security in retirement.

And a 401(k) only stretches so far.

by Anonymousreply 3803/19/2013

Good luck OP!

by Anonymousreply 3903/19/2013

[quote] I know it's hard, but people like me are rotting for you.

Oh, dear.

by Anonymousreply 4003/19/2013

Why is R11 Bogarting OP's thread?

by Anonymousreply 4103/19/2013

Edrusgays!

by Anonymousreply 4203/19/2013

I've thought that I might kill myself if I were to lose my job. I don't think I could easily get another job that pays so much as the one I have, so it just doesn't seem worth it to try to hold on. On the other hand, I'm not wanting to check out otherwise. My career strategy is the same as the game of Survivor, and I've been very successful in outplaying (i.e. outlasting) plenty of people around me. My advice to others (as long as they are not co-workers) is to make sure every day that if everyone but one were let go, you're that one they'd keep. The game never stops.

by Anonymousreply 4303/19/2013

OP,since you're bright and you have work experience, I bet you'll find a special niche at/through your new job. It may be something related to animal companions for the elderly (a growing market) or special pet products or something that will improve your employer's business practice. Just keep an eye out, read a lot, and stay positive. This time next year, your life can be much better than you ever imagined.

by Anonymousreply 4403/19/2013

I know the feeling, OP. I'm in my early 30s and have been looking for permanent work for over 5 years. Unfortunately I made the mistake of going to law school and got laid off from my firm after less than a year. I took some temp work to stay afloat for a bit and then the crash happened. Now all these years later I can't get another legal job because I have no real experience, the temp work is drying up, and I can't get a permanent job doing anything else because my law degree has employers thinking I'm "overqualified." The reality is I'd take literally any entry level job at this point just to get a foot in the door. I have no interest in going back to law, but no one will hire me or give me a chance.

by Anonymousreply 4503/19/2013

OP learn the grooming business and then think about starting your own grooming service. If you live in an area with fairly affluent people, I find they will spend just about anything for services for their animals.

by Anonymousreply 4603/19/2013

R37 really knows how to rub it in.

by Anonymousreply 4703/19/2013

R47, I'm sorry. That was not my intent. My post was a serious question about R20's response to OP of, "Do what you enjoy ... Find your passions, it'll change your life". Well, that's a whole lot easier said than done because employers want experience, not someone who wants to do something new.

If it makes you feel any better, I lived on unemployment & that severance package for years before I found my current job. Even though it's in the same field, I do not make nearly as much as I did before and I'm working longer hours.

by Anonymousreply 4803/20/2013

The OP fails to mention his last job 2 1/2 years ago was at Taco Bell.

He was let go for molesting the teen aged boys.

by Anonymousreply 4903/20/2013

I think the whole "find your passion" thing is New Age crap. I can't think of a single thing that I'm truly "passionate" about (well, dislike of Republican politics, but that's more anger than anything else...!) I guess I could force myself to fake a "gung ho" attitude about something, but I've just never been that kind of person.

Most people are never going to have a job they're "passionate" about -- those that do are very fortunate, and few.

by Anonymousreply 5003/20/2013

R50 Yeah, that "find your passion" shit is easier said than done. Sure, we all have passions, but how many of us have passions that are profitable or that we can earn a living from? Not many.

by Anonymousreply 5103/20/2013

I agree that "finding your passion" doesn't apply to most people. I took one of those aptitude tests when I was in my 30s, trying to find my passion. It said I was perfectly suited to be a forest ranger. I stuck with the business I was in. I can find my passion on the weekends. I love to play golf and fish, be out on the water, at the beach. Work allows me to do this.

I am also saving as much money as I can because I think we're in for another crash.

by Anonymousreply 5203/20/2013
Need more help? Click Here.