Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Obama settles for half measures on gun control The president fails to put his full energy behind post-Newtown proposals . . .

I love President Obama . . . but I'm pissed off at him about this.

I'm tired of him being a pussy. He won goddamit. He had the country behind him on this issue too.

by Anonymousreply 4303/20/2013

His full energy? Have you noticed that the people controlling the House of Representatives wouldn't vote to save their own mothers' lives if they thought Obama wanted it, too? If they perceived he put his "full energy" behind anything, they'd be sure not to vote for it. That would be the quickest way to kill any sort of positive change at all.

by Anonymousreply 203/19/2013

Step by step and inch by inch liberal progress has to move thanks to those conservative jerks blocking everything in the senate that isn't in their or their masters' interest.

You think Clinton wanted Don't Ask Don't Tell? That's the shitty commpromise he had to agree on because the conservative Republicans didn't want Clinton to get what he really wanted.

by Anonymousreply 303/19/2013

Obama is the same as any politician. He takes very few real risks on a matter of principal and always caves. There is really no point to voting anymore.

by Anonymousreply 403/19/2013

Scalia, R4.

Clarence Thomas, R4.

Alito, R4.

Roberts, R4.

Wobbly Kennedy, R4.

Bush v. Gore, R4.

Citizens' United, R4.

by Anonymousreply 503/19/2013

Apparently, Harry Reid, big gun rights supporter, dragged his feed on bringing a bill to the Senate floor. Obama can't make everyone get in line, although I agree that faster would have been better.

by Anonymousreply 603/19/2013

Real risks are pretty pointless if you don't have the votes or support.

by Anonymousreply 703/19/2013

I just can't believe we dropped the ban on ASSAULT rifles. For fuck's sake.

This is the first time I've been really unhappy with Obama.

by Anonymousreply 803/19/2013

[quote]The majority of the country still see the NRA in a good light.

by Anonymousreply 903/19/2013

R7= apologist bullshit.

You FIGHT for what's right and fight with all you've got...Obama has never done that. He caves and caves.

by Anonymousreply 1003/20/2013

OP,R8 get a grip-- the news media has been reporting for MONTHS that the assault weapons ban was not going to make it to the Senate floor. If it matters so much to you, you'd think you'd pay attention to the NEWS.

First- Obama is not supreme ruler of the Senate. Second - Several red state Senate Democrats are up for reelection and Harry Reid would not let them risk this fight -- the public is not overwhelmingly behind an assault weapons ban (~50%). Do you want Democrats to lose the fight over assault weapons AND lose the Senate to Republicans in 2014?

Chill. Up next background checks (~95% public approval). Which actually has a chance.

by Anonymousreply 1203/20/2013

Yeah, riiiight r11, the wsj is a beacon of neutrality!

by Anonymousreply 1303/20/2013

Obama and the Dems cave again. Typical pussies. Obama will never change. Biggest pussy of them all...and he won't be running for reelection and he still caved.

by Anonymousreply 1403/20/2013

r14, are you aware that Obama is no longer a member of Congress?

by Anonymousreply 1603/20/2013

by Anonymousreply 1703/20/2013

[quote]The majority of the country still see the NRA in a good light.

That's the info put out by the NRA 24/7 so a lot of people think it's true.

by Anonymousreply 1803/20/2013

r8 sure likes to troll.

by Anonymousreply 2003/20/2013

Sometimes I believe that some of you should have to show your Civics scores before being allowed to post in these threads.

by Anonymousreply 2103/20/2013

R19 looks like a bigger troll.

by Anonymousreply 2203/20/2013

Let's face it, the NRA owns the politicians and the polls.

As evident here, the gun-nuts are quite happy about letting the country swirl into a third world state.

by Anonymousreply 2303/20/2013

[quote]are you aware that Obama is no longer a member of Congress?

Are you aware that a President who knows how to lead, can control the members of his own party in Congress?

by Anonymousreply 2403/20/2013

Are you aware that the country has changed a hell f a fucking lot in 50 years r24.

by Anonymousreply 2503/20/2013

[quote]Are you aware that the country has changed a hell f a fucking lot in 50 years

I noticed a big change five years ago. Suddenly the ability for a Presient to lead meant you sit around and wait for "The Consensus" to happen.

When the repeal of DADT was headed down the shitter after two years of waiting for "The Consensus", it was rescued at the last minute by Nancy Pelosi and Harry Reid. At the same time we were still hearing the Republican/Fundie inspired bullcrap that "God" is in the marriage mix.

"At least he's better than Mitt and McCain" is all we can say.

by Anonymousreply 2603/20/2013

heard Feinstein bill only had 40 votes and well how the senate goes you need 60.

it had to be`watered down

by Anonymousreply 2703/20/2013

This is who the president is. You should not expect too much from him.

by Anonymousreply 2803/20/2013

It was reported this week that Adam Lanza planned the shooting for more than a year using legal guns owned by his mother. Politicians, as usual, immediately had a knee-jerk reaction. Feinstein's proposal got nowhere because thinking pols wouldn't vote for it based on seeing the big picture.

by Anonymousreply 2903/20/2013

I love people who know absolutely nothing about guns, at all, are all for this assault rifle ban. I can't think of any weapon that requires more skill than an assault rifle. They are heavy, fire a small caliber bullet, and are not easy to aim. The media has made assault rifles the issue.

by Anonymousreply 3003/20/2013

Republicans (and some Dems) in Congress are reprehensible. In any other country, after the massacre at Newtown, this would have been a no-brainer. It's no wonder most foreigners are both mystified and disgusted by this country. I am too and I was born here (unfortunately).

by Anonymousreply 3103/20/2013

r30, who the fuck needs an assault rifle? Seriously, what is the intention? My mind cannot comprehend why someone would need or want this unless they intended mass murder.

by Anonymousreply 3203/20/2013

R32 - do you have any fucking idea how many "assault" rifles are owned in the United States vs how many are used in any type of criminal action? You should educate yourself a touch. I have several "assault" rifles because I collect guns and they are a challenge to shoot which for enthusiasts makes them quite fun. First and foremost, no one in this country should be able to tell me what I can or cannot own. I don't infringe on your right to collect figurines.

by Anonymousreply 3303/20/2013

Seek help, r19. And if they offer drugs, take them.

by Anonymousreply 3403/20/2013

[quote]First and foremost, no one in this country should be able to tell me what I can or cannot own.

Giving up your slaves probably hurt.

by Anonymousreply 3503/20/2013

[quote]no one in this country should be able to tell me what I can or cannot own

Yeah, let just people die by crazy gun fanatics, so that non crazy gun fanatics like r33 can own whatever they want. You don't want to make r33 mad, do you?

by Anonymousreply 3603/20/2013

R36 I have well over 50 guns, none of which have ever hurt anyone, nor have I ever been arrested for any reason at all. By and large, gun owners are not criminals. If you want to prosecute gun owners based on the deviant portion of gun owners, then I assume you feel it OK to prosecute every gay man as a pedofile because of the abuse at Catholic church?

by Anonymousreply 3703/20/2013

Obama never made it to school with his lunch money. The school bully in me saw that first time I watched him.

by Anonymousreply 3803/20/2013

False equivalencies, r37.

by Anonymousreply 3903/20/2013

R39 - OK - let's switch it. Anyone with a penis could be subject to surrendering their penis because some people with a penis violate others.

by Anonymousreply 4003/20/2013

[quote]First and foremost, no one in this country should be able to tell me what I can or cannot own.

You've got that right r33. Why don't you mix up some nice poison gas since nobody can tell you that you can't own it. Why not create a few firebombs, too, just for the fun of it. You deserve the right to own those things.

Think of all the fun you could have by going into a major airport with a pint of gas in your pocket. Fun! Fun! Fun! First and foremost, no one in this country should be able to tell you what you can or cannot own. Have you considered buying one of those old unused Soviet nuclear bombs?

by Anonymousreply 4103/20/2013

R41 - please give me a bigger challenge than a third world country's dirty bomb. You insult me.

by Anonymousreply 4203/20/2013

I want a nuclear weapon, maybe more than one. And I challenge anyone to give me a good reason why, as an American citizen, I can't have one!!

by Anonymousreply 4303/20/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!