Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Bowie's New Album = Big Steamy Turd

What are people listening to? Are we listening to the same album? It's dreadful. He sounds dead on it, completely out of tune, almost talk-singing. He's running out of breath. Sounds like someone who has lung issues (asthma, emphysema). It's like your elderly father getting up and singing bad karaoke. The instrumentals are all off-key as well. The songs are forgettable. Are people this desperate to have him back that they'll lie to themselves saying that this crap is actually good? I'm just shocked by how bad it is. I liked his recent music video, but that's about it.

I'm not expecting Bowie to pull a masterpiece out of his ass, but this is just embarrassing. He had ten years to come up with something.

Please tell me I'm not the only one who finds this new album tragic. I feel like I've entered the Twilight Zone.

by Anonymousreply 5303/20/2013

I agree. The only decent songs are The Stars (Are Out Tonight) and Love is Lost. Everything else sucks.

by Anonymousreply 103/19/2013

The first two singles have tanked. Both released within a month of each other. Both forgettable.

I wonder if it's true what that Abbey Road engineer claimed; that all artists lose the ability to write a good song after the age of 30.

Except for Kate Bush, of course.

by Anonymousreply 203/19/2013

Bowie's last decent album start to finish was 30 years ago.

I don't know it it's age that makes people unable to create good songs....I think it's being so filthy rich that all the conflict disappears and they have nothing to write about.

by Anonymousreply 303/19/2013

I bought the CD last week and have listened to it numerous times.

It is well produced and in the late style of Heathen and Reality.

Of the SEVENTEEN songs a few pop and the rest are professional efforts.

For fans, devotees and the truly curious.

If this is his last recording it is an accomplished and worthy effort that is in keeping with his entire career.

What is embarrassing is inappropriate childishly hyperbolic contempt toward one of the greatest creative figures in history.

by Anonymousreply 403/19/2013

It's horribly produced. It's off-key, and sounds like demos.

Kate Bush, btw, her last album was atrocious.

by Anonymousreply 503/19/2013

It has been getting good reviews.

by Anonymousreply 603/19/2013

Bowie is a genius, he's just way past his prime. It happens to the best of 'em. His last good album was "Let's Dance"(released in March of 1983). His '70s work was awe-inspiring. He created a wonderful legacy.

by Anonymousreply 703/19/2013

Kate Bush's last album was quite good. Very atmospheric, and indeed 'wintery'. It's a concept album, and does what it says on the tin (= can).

Bowie's 'Heathen' is a good album, and certainly much better than 'Let's Dance', which had 3 great singles, but wasn't that interesting as a whole.

'The Next Day' is ok for a listen on spotify, but not worth purchasing as a CD.

I agree it's poorly produced. Shame he asked yesterday's it-boy Mark Ronson to do the job. Much like Madonna employing Timbaland to stay relevant, only to sound dated because their gimmicks have worn off already.

by Anonymousreply 803/19/2013

Kate Bush's last album was atrocious? That's got to have come from a Beyonce/Katy Perry fan.

by Anonymousreply 1003/19/2013

Agreed, r10.

by Anonymousreply 1103/19/2013

I like it. But like everything Bowie has done since Scary Monsters it's uneven. Every album since then has a couple of gems but the rest is forgettable.

by Anonymousreply 1203/19/2013

Have any London DLers been to the Bowie exhibition at the V & A?

by Anonymousreply 1303/19/2013

The album is expected to sell around a disappointing 80,000 copies in it's first week.

by Anonymousreply 1403/19/2013

r14 doesn't understand what it's saying. It's #1 in the UK, and will be #1 in the US. It got good reviews because it's Bowie. They're licking his hole.

Kate Bush is a bore. That last album is unlistenable. Snow? Stephen Fry? Fuck off, bitch.

by Anonymousreply 1503/19/2013

[quote]one of the greatest creative figures in history

You don't get out much, do you?

by Anonymousreply 1603/19/2013

R15 = Delusional Bowie fangurl thinking it's still the 70's.

This album will NOT be at number 1 in the US - Bon Jovi's new album is slated to take the top spot, and Luke Bryan's album latest album may end up taking the number 2 spot.

by Anonymousreply 1703/19/2013

Sorry, kitten. Every top mag and critic is calling this an epic comeback, his best album since Scary Monsters. What's done is done.

Good effort, though. 4/10.

by Anonymousreply 1803/19/2013

Who is "Luke Bryan"?

by Anonymousreply 1903/19/2013

The new album is in the mold of Heathen and Reality. If you like those albums you'll like this one. It's a decent record. Like one of the posters said everything he's done since Scary Monsters has been spotty, though he's had his moments here and there.

Kate Bush? Yeah the Stephen Fry song is pretentious. Elton John sounds like he's singing on a different song,a soulful groovier track than the one on Kate's album. I liked the album BUT then again I'm into atmospheric jazz like Eberhard Weber(who has played on every Kate album accept for this one because of a stroke) so I got the general tone of the album. How it can be sleep inducing though......

by Anonymousreply 2003/19/2013

R18 Critic reviews don't mean shit if it doesn't translate into sales. "Critics" aka PR puppets also said Madonna's FlopDNA album was great, and we know how that turned out.

by Anonymousreply 2103/19/2013

However it can be sleep inducing.

by Anonymousreply 2203/19/2013

I like it a lot, although admittedly it took me half a dozen listens to get there. Then again, I'm not holding out for another Ziggy Stardust or Hunky Dory.

I thoroughly enjoyed Heathen, Reality, Earthling, and Outside as well... so I guess I don't think he's doing as badly as most of you.

BTW, R8, Tony Visconti produced it, not Mark Ronson.

by Anonymousreply 2303/19/2013

[quote]Sorry, kitten. Every top mag and critic is calling this an epic comeback, his best album since Scary Monsters.

So others make up your mind for you. Lovely.

by Anonymousreply 2403/19/2013

I love Kate Bush, but I haven't particularly enjoyed her last two albums. They were interesting, because they're Kate, but not quite masterpieces.

However, if we're making the argument that age isn't important then I agree, since she made Aerial not so long ago and it was magnificent.

Bowie changed to a much more atmospheric sound in the 90s and while it's perfectly fine I just don't find it as compelling as the pop he did in the 70s and early 80s.

by Anonymousreply 2503/19/2013

The past is the present...

by Anonymousreply 2603/19/2013

It's now official: Bon Jovi's new album gets the #1 spot after selling 100,415 copies and Bowie's album gets the #2 spot after selling only 83,118 copies of his first studio album in 11 years.

by Anonymousreply 2703/20/2013

I really like two cuts, can tolerate four others, and the rest seem like Bowie parody or sound and feel wrongly produced - muddy with odd percussion and a too-serious-and-desultory set of vocals.

But I do like "Where Are We Now." Not that it isn't pretentious and is actually rather trite, but rock elegies of quality are seldom as successful.

by Anonymousreply 2803/20/2013

[quote]Kate Bush, btw, her last album was atrocious.

Her album was not atrocious, you're atrocious. Btw, I feel like singing:

Out On the wiley, windy moors We'd roll and fall in green You had a temper, like my jealousy Too hot, too greedy How could you leave me When I needed to possess you? I hated you, I loved you too

Bad dreams in the night They told me I was going to lose the fight Leave behind my wuthering, wuthering Wuthering Heights

Heathcliff, it's me, Cathy, I've come home I'm so cold, let me in in-a-your-window Heathcliff, it's me, Cathy, I've come home I'm so cold, let me in in-a-your-window

Oh it gets dark, it gets lonely On the other side from you I pine alot, I find the lot Falls through without you I'm coming back love, cruel Heathcliff My one dream, my only master

Too long I roam in the night I'm coming back to his side to put it right I'm coming home to wuthering, wuthering Wuthering Heights

Heathcliff, it's me, Cathy, I've come home I'm so cold, let me in in-a-your-window Heathcliff, it's me, Cathy, I've come home I'm so cold, let me in in-a-your-window

Ooh let me have it, let me grab your soul away Ooh let me have it, let me grab your soul away You know it's me, Cathy

Heathcliff, it's me, Cathy come home I'm so cold, let me in in-a-your-window Heathcliff, it's me, Cathy come home I'm so cold, let me in in-a-your-window Heathcliff, it's me, Cathy come home I'm so cold

by Anonymousreply 2903/20/2013

Bon jovi #1

Wow, this is just sad.

by Anonymousreply 3003/20/2013

I'll always love Bowie for his work up to the mid-80s but everything since has left me unimpressed. I think the previous poster has a point that people's songwriting can lose its bite when they've been successful for too long. They're either surrounded by yes-men or they've lost what made them relatable through living a life of wealth and comfort. Given that we are totally spoiled for great music these days, I doubt I'll even give his new album more than the perfunctory listen I already have. Now the Yozo Originals compilation - that's a good listen.

by Anonymousreply 3103/20/2013

I love Bowie, so it's unfortunate. Some critics are raving, but I'm not seeing it.

No matter, I have all the vast amount of Bowie stuff I luv. Not sure the new album is a complete turd, but it's far from great.

This is typical of elder, historic artists. We love them, respect them, so we project our positive feelings onto work that is far from their best.

by Anonymousreply 3203/20/2013

[quote]I'll always love Bowie for his work up to the mid-80s but everything since has left me unimpressed.

I agree. He should have reunited with Nile Rodgers to produce an album instead of working with Tony Visconti AGAIN *yawn*.

by Anonymousreply 3303/20/2013

Bowie lost me when he threw us under the bus in '83/'84, when, at the height of the AIDS panic, he cynically stated that, no, he wasn't gay, and never had been.

by Anonymousreply 3403/20/2013

R34 I agree. He turned out to be a big wimp. So many of these celebs will be semi-open for awhile about their same-sex experiences and then when they start feeling the pressure, they backtrack and pretend it was all an act or a joke.

So sick of that shit.

by Anonymousreply 3503/20/2013

Everything Kate has done from Aerial onwards has been turgidly mumsy beyond belief. Bowie's last decent album was Scary Monsters and Super Creeps. They both lost their spark and it is never coming back.

by Anonymousreply 3603/20/2013

Kate Bush is so much better. Bowie is brilliant but Bush is better.

by Anonymousreply 3703/20/2013

[quote]This album will NOT be at number 1 in the US - Bon Jovi's new album is slated to take the top spot, and Luke Bryan's album latest album may end up taking the number 2 spot.

[quote]The album is expected to sell around a disappointing 80,000 copies in it's first week.- by: Flop

Ahem...

David Bowie’s 'The Next Day' Debuts #1 on Charts in 12 Countries and Tops iTunes Chart in Over 60 Countries

First Album in Decade Sparks Passionate Global Response

New York, NY – March 20, 2013 – David Bowie’s new album 'The Next Day' (ISO/Columbia Records) has debuted at #1 in the U.K., Belgium, Czech Republic, Denmark, Finland, Germany, Ireland, Netherlands, New Zealand, Portugal, Sweden and Switzerland a week after its release, and has topped the iTunes chart in over 60 countries across the world. The album is scoring landmarks for Bowie, including his highest-ever chart position in the U.S. (#2), and the title-holder as the fastest-selling album of the year so far in the U.K.

'The Next Day' has already achieved Gold status in the U.K., Austria, France, Ireland, Poland and Sweden, is the musician’s first-ever #1 in Germany, Netherlands, Portugal and Switzerland and is his first #1 album in the U.K., Belgium, Denmark, Finland, Ireland and New Zealand in decades.

‘The Next Day,’ which was written by Bowie and co-produced with long-term collaborator Tony Visconti, also skyrocketed to the top of iTunes charts in over 60 countries across the world after its release. (Full list of countries at bottom of press release.) Worldwide critical acclaim for ‘The Next Day’ has paralleled the album’s chart-topping successes. Bowie’s triumphant return from a decade-long hiatus has been embraced by critics as a “masterpiece” (The New York Times, USA) and “the greatest comeback album ever.” (The Independent, UK)

More Press Quotes:

"Breathtaking... a marvelously successful return" - LA Times (U.S.)

"Music that's rich, dense and urgent" - Wall Street Journal (U.S.)

"A great album and something that is rare in an age when everything is explained and revealed: a sense of mystery" - The Times (U.K.)

"An absolute wonder: urgent, sharp-edged, bold, beautiful and baffling” - The Telegraph (U.K.)

“Sonically rich, lyrically intriguingly and elegantly energized. The bad news? There is no bad news.” - Globe and Mail (Canada)

"Some of the best work in recent rock music." - Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung (Germany)

"[Bowie] dazzles with his new album" - El Mundo (Spain)

“A triumphant return. And a reminder of how the musical world is sorely missing a self-propelled superstar like David Bowie” – Herald Sun (Australia)

---

‘The Next Day,’ topped iTunes chart (64 Countries): 1. Argentina 2. Armenia 3. Australia 4. Austria 5. Belarus 6. Belgium 7. Brazil 8. Bulgaria 9. Canada 10. Chile 11. Colombia 12. Costa Rica 13. Cyprus 14. Czech Republic 15. Ecuador 16. Egypt 17. Estonia 18. Finland 19. France 20. Germany 21. Greece 22. Guatemala 23. Hong Kong 24. Hungary 25. India 26. Indonesia 27. Ireland 28. Israel 29. Italy 30. Japan 31. Latvia 32. Lebanon 33. Lithuania 34. Luxembourg 35. Malaysia 36. Malta 37. Mauritius 38. Mexico 39. Netherlands 40. New Zealand 41. Norway 42. Peru 43. Philippines 44. Poland 45. Portugal 46. Qatar 47. Romania 48. Russia 49. Saudi Arabia 50. Singapore 51. Slovakia 52. Slovenia 53. South Africa 54. Spain 55. Sri Lanka 56. Sweden 57. Switzerland 58. Taiwan 59. Thailand 60. Trinidad and Tobago 61. Turkey 62. UK 63. USA 64. Vietnam

by Anonymousreply 3803/20/2013

Kate Bush needs to just go and make a proper album. The last one was so boring, and so pretentious. She ain't getting any younger. Same thing goes for Bjork.

by Anonymousreply 3903/20/2013

R38 LOL! The 12 countries that it went to #1 are all little countries. And nobody cares about iTunes Charts, only the official charts matter.

by Anonymousreply 4003/20/2013

I loved Kate's last album. It has a "simplicity" of mature work that a lot of great artist gravitate towards.

With the exception of the Elton John track, I think it was brilliant.

by Anonymousreply 4103/20/2013

The difference between Bowie and Bush is that bowie gave us a proper Bowie album. It sounds like Bowie and is somewhat a re-visitation of Heathen and Reality.And he's working with Tony Visconti who produced Bowie to arguably his greatest successes critically.

What irks Kate Bush fans is that she has made an ECM album albeit with the milquetoast Elton John guesting on it. It is also jarring to longtime Bush fans because it is so sparse arrangement wise. Where are the dense mixes and the exotic arrangements? I do believe it's a good album but she threw a left curve to many long time fans.

by Anonymousreply 4203/20/2013

[quote] It's #1 in the UK,

I believe this, because the UK is gaga over Bowie. Meanwhile, he refuses to live there and rarely visits. He didn't even go to the V&A for the exhibit which drew stars from all over the UK at the opening. He was asked to go to the Olympic ceremonies in London. He didn't.

Can't the UK take a hint? They're like a bunch of abused spouses over there, always going back for more bad treatment.

by Anonymousreply 4303/20/2013

What's an album?

by Anonymousreply 4403/20/2013

A lot of obnoxious twats on this thread.

by Anonymousreply 4503/20/2013

"something that is rare in an age when everything is explained and revealed: a sense of mystery"

Exactly why I love "Where Are We Now?"

by Anonymousreply 4603/20/2013

R21 that's why Madonna's MDNA album got primarily positive reviews, debuted at #1 in over 40 countries including the US and UK, sold over 1.8 million copies worldwide among the top 20 sellers of the year and sold more albums than any other ovet 50 artist who released albums last year.

Some "flop"

by Anonymousreply 4703/20/2013

R43 You're absolutely right. And it's not just Bowie - so many British celebs ditch the UK, move to America, and only visit when they have something to peddle, yet Brits will still keep buying their stuff. Why do they continue support celebs who abandon the country that made them?

by Anonymousreply 4803/20/2013

R48, you idiot. I suppose by your trash logic that Americans shouldn't read Eliot and the British shouldn't read Auden. Ass.

Yes, there's a lot of gape-twatted trolling on this thread. Since it's not meant for wit or elucidation, it's probably best to just consign this thread to the growing collection of rat traps populating the DL and avoid it.

by Anonymousreply 4903/20/2013

Brits love Bowie unconditionally because of his glorious prime. That was part of everyone's history, so he's now given a free pass, plus every magazine cover.

He tested patience to the max with Tin Machine, and no-one seemed to care. Bowie pretty much lost me after 'Let's Dance'; and I hated his hammy Lord's Prayer at the Mercury memorial show.

As against that, 'Ziggy', 'Young Americans', 'Low' and 'Heroes' swat away all the secondary pretension, even his duet with Bing Crosby.

by Anonymousreply 5003/20/2013

I will admit, I adore Bowie, and like a lot of people, am just thrilled he's put out some more music. It's not one of his best albums, but he's so brilliant and valuable an artist that we welcome any chance to get more of him.

by Anonymousreply 5103/20/2013

[quote]Critic reviews don't mean shit if it doesn't translate into sales.

Am I naive for thinking one has nothing to do with the other? I mean, I read a music review to read about music, not thinking a review is a glorified advertisement.

by Anonymousreply 5203/20/2013

R49 = A Brit

by Anonymousreply 5303/20/2013
Need more help? Click Here.