Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

The stupidest actual name for someone who was not a child of a celebrity (and made it on his/her own)

It has to be the name of someone who actually grew up being called by that name. So BeBe Shopp (Miss America 1948) and Meryl Streep (her given name is Mary Louise Streep, but everyone called her "Meryl" from an early age) both qualify.

But this does NOT include (a) all children's name of celebrities, because the children didn't make it on their own (sorry, Fifi Trixibelle Geldof, Scout Willis, Pilot Inspektor Lee, Jor-El Cage and Apple Martin), and (b) all names that were made-up solely to get attention from casting directors or press agents (sorry, Whoopi Goldberg--your real name is actually Karin Johnson).

I vote for Swoosie Kurtz as the all-time winner.

by Anonymousreply 1303/19/2013

Sorry, I can't think of any.

by Anonymousreply 103/19/2013

lol r1

by Anonymousreply 203/19/2013

David Bowie's son Zowie Bowie! IIRC, he changed his name as an adult.

David Bowie's real name is David Jones, he could use it because Davey Jones of The Monkees was already famous.

by Anonymousreply 303/19/2013

Bebe Buell comes to mind for some reason.

wikipedia says her real first name is Beverley.

by Anonymousreply 403/19/2013

I'm not the Streep troll but I don't think Meryl is that dumb of a name. No worse than Dotty or Ginny or something like that.

by Anonymousreply 503/19/2013

What part of "someone who was not a child of a celebrity" don't you understand, R3?

by Anonymousreply 603/19/2013

P.S. Zowie Bowie now goes by Duncan Jones.

From Wikipedia:

[quote]Around the age of 12, Zowie decided that he preferred to be called "Joey", and used this nickname for some time until shortening it to "Joe" in his later teen years. The press reported that he went by "Joe" in 1992 when attending his father's wedding to Iman (he was the best man). ... According to the Newham Recorder, he reverted to his birth name, Duncan Jones, around the age of 18.

by Anonymousreply 703/19/2013

Swoosie's father was a celebrity

by Anonymousreply 803/19/2013

(Short for 'WHY'?)

by Anonymousreply 903/19/2013

Excuse me, OP, there ain't no stupid names. Only stupid people. And I ain't one of 'em.

by Anonymousreply 1003/19/2013

Sorry, not trying to be OT but since she was mentioned..when I was a teen in the 90's I thought Swoosie was Goldie Hawn's sister, they looked exactly alike! Or am I crazy? Did anyone else think that? Sorry, again, just wondering and she never comes up in conversations with my friends.

by Anonymousreply 1103/19/2013

BeBe Daniels was a popular american actress in the 1920s. I think there's a gospel singer with the name, BeBe. BeBe Wyans?

A highly unusual name: Fyvush Finkel.

by Anonymousreply 1203/19/2013

Rebel Wilson is a beautiful name.

by Anonymousreply 1303/19/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!