Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Floatation Tanks

Have you ever tried it?

Would you recommend it?

I did a search & was surprised to find there was nothing in the archives about this...not a single reference.

by Anonymousreply 903/19/2013

Yup, 60's hippie style. The idea is to replace all external perception with your own internal monolog and perhaps visionary experiences, sometimes accompanied and promoted by hallucinogens.

These were invented by a creepy (IMO) neurobiologist and animal researcher named John Lily in the '50's...later used by him in a somewhat nafarious way in conjunction with experimental acid trips. His extended paper on the subject, Programming and Metaprogramming in the Human Biocomputer seems to really be about development of human mind control methods, perhaps of interest to some not-so-nice people.

by Anonymousreply 103/18/2013

I did it many times, back in the early 80's. There was a place in Old Town Chicago that had them. I'm not sure it's still there. They're pretty great. You'd lay down in heavily-salted water in a dark chamber. The temperature of the water was the same as the air, so you really couldn't tell where the water ended; it was like you were floating in space. You couldn't see anything, nor could you hear anything. You're just left alone with your mind, and it was great for just clearing away thoughts. I used to go with a friend who wrote ad copy, and he would often come up with some ideas for commercials. All said: I liked it, would try it again, but there are many other ways to spend an hour.

by Anonymousreply 203/18/2013

It was a crazy experience, man.

by Anonymousreply 303/18/2013

It can be seriously pleasant and relaxing, R2, I agree. But I also believe it's a drowning risk. The Lily flotation tanks got around this by having users wear a SCUBA-like rig...remember they were impared. When I tripped in one we didn't do this, and it's my belief a few people died way back then.

by Anonymousreply 403/18/2013

[quote]They're pretty great. You'd lay down in heavily-salted water in a dark chamber. The temperature of the water was the same as the air, so you really couldn't tell where the water ended; it was like you were floating in space. You couldn't see anything, nor could you hear anything. You're just left alone with your mind, and it was great for just clearing away thoughts.

I had the same experience. Extremely relaxing.

Someone mentioned drowning; the tank I was in had so much Epsom salts in it that you couldn't drown if you tried.

After a few minutes (you really lose track of time) I felt my muscles in my arms and legs spasming as they let go of tension. It feels very comfortable and natural when you're doing it, but when you get OUT, that's when you feel like you're moving underwater.

by Anonymousreply 503/18/2013

Hot tubs are just as relaxing and don't give you claustrophobia.

by Anonymousreply 603/18/2013

Bump

by Anonymousreply 703/19/2013

Is this a cunt thread? Because, if so, there will be hell to pay! Hell!

by Anonymousreply 803/19/2013
Need more help? Click Here.