Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

History Channel denies Satan resembles Obama in 'The Bible'

(RNN) – The History Channel responded Monday to casting questions for its hit show The Bible after people thought Satan looked too much like President Barack Obama.

In the statement, company officials said History had "the highest respect for President Obama."

"The series was produced with an international and diverse cast of respected actors," the statement read. "It's unfortunate that anyone made this false connection. History's The Bible is meant to enlighten people on its rich stories and deep history."

The show's executive producers, Mark Burnett and Roma Downey, released a joint statement calling the comparison "utter nonsense."

"The actor who played Satan, Mehdi Ouazanni, is a highly acclaimed Moroccan actor," they said. "He has previously played parts in several Biblical epics - including Satanic characters long before Barack Obama was elected as our president."

Conservative commentator Glenn Beck was one of the first to make the connection, tweeting his thoughts March 16.

"Anyone else think the Devil in #TheBible Sunday on History Channel looks exactly like That Guy?" he wrote on Twitter.

Ouazanni has appeared in several other religious-themed shows, including TV movie versions of The Ten Commandments and David.

The resemblance controversy was not the first time the two had been connected that week. According to Huffington Post's Sam Stein, a moderator at the CPAC convention yelled out "Satan" in a word-association game March 14, with several in the crowd responding "Obama."

by Anonymousreply 11903/23/2013

Mark Burnett and Roma Downey released a statement saying they have "nothing but respect and love" for Obama, "a fellow Christian."

"This is utter nonsense," their statement reads. "The actor who played Satan, Mehdi Ouzaani, is a highly acclaimed Moroccan actor. He has previously played parts in several Biblical epics— including Satanic characters long before Barack Obama was elected as our President."

Burnett, however, also donated to Obama's presidential campaign in 2008, according to The Hollywood Reporter.

by Anonymousreply 303/18/2013

He looks too much like Obama for them not to have noticed.

by Anonymousreply 403/18/2013

[quote]Conservative commentator Glenn Beck was one of the first to make the connection, tweeting his thoughts March 16.

This should tell you everything you need to know about this bullshit.

by Anonymousreply 503/18/2013

So Glenn Beck was being the messy queen that he always is and stirred up his ignorant ass followers. What else is new?

by Anonymousreply 603/18/2013

The History Channel ought to give us more history.

by Anonymousreply 803/18/2013

On the contrary, ice road truckers are the epitome of historical broadcasting excellence.

by Anonymousreply 903/18/2013

So no one objects to them casting a man of color to play satan?

They are right-wing fundies. I doubt it's a coincidence.

by Anonymousreply 1003/18/2013

I looked at the picture and if I hadn't been told about the Obama resemblance I wouldn't have automatically gone there. He's an olive skinned Black man like Obama but I don't think he looks like him.

by Anonymousreply 1303/18/2013

[quote]This should tell you everything you need to know about this bullshit.

Exactly. I heard if you say Glenn Beck three times out loud your I.Q automatically drops by 10 points.

by Anonymousreply 1503/18/2013

R11 that is so wrong. Jesus had blue eyes.

by Anonymousreply 1603/18/2013

They are spinning and lying. Focus for the Family guided them.

by Anonymousreply 1703/18/2013

But after the devil is killed this is what he looks like.

by Anonymousreply 1803/18/2013

So The History Channel is in cahoots with Glenn Beck?

What a bunch of silly nonsense. Why does anybody pay attention to Glenn Beck?

by Anonymousreply 1903/18/2013

I envision Jesus to be beautiful, but more like Lenny Kravitz beautiful, sunglasses and all.

by Anonymousreply 2203/18/2013

Well, I fixed ol' Mark Burnett -- I didn't watch a single minute of his crappy show.

by Anonymousreply 2503/18/2013

I guess Burnett is one of those Obama supporters who soured on him because his only political donation was to Obama in '07:

by Anonymousreply 2803/18/2013

by Anonymousreply 2903/18/2013

by Anonymousreply 3003/18/2013

I just posted links to pictures of both Barack and Satan from the Bible movie.

I still don't think they look alike. But then I am Black. Don't know if that has anything to do with it.

by Anonymousreply 3103/18/2013

R31 It doesn't matter. They could have cast Little Richard as Satan. All black people look alike to the History Channel's audience.

by Anonymousreply 3303/18/2013

(R31): Wow---how can you NOT see it?!! Doubt seriously if you being black has anything at all to do with it! Put them side by side with similar pics of each (not smiling). Uncanny and really shady of Mark Burnett.

by Anonymousreply 3403/18/2013

The shock is that we are even having this conversation in a supposedly advance, rational, and educated country at the dawn of the 21st century.

by Anonymousreply 3503/18/2013

Fucking teabaggers pick this day to finally say all black people DON'T look alike!

by Anonymousreply 3603/18/2013

The history channel is owned by Rupert murdoch

by Anonymousreply 3703/18/2013

Honestly 34 I did look at those pictures I linked to in r29 & r30 together. I see that they are similar in complexion but that is it. They do not look alike.

This guy looks like the President.

by Anonymousreply 4003/18/2013

R39 is showing everyone how loving Christians are,

by Anonymousreply 4103/18/2013

R40, quit watching reruns of that horrible "Little Britain." He looks nothing like the actual president.

by Anonymousreply 4203/18/2013

The actor playing Jesus is ultra goodlooking, my GAWD.

by Anonymousreply 4603/18/2013

The Stormfront Troll is back! And still illiterate!

by Anonymousreply 4803/18/2013

R49, I think you meant to post that incredibly stupid shit at Free Republic where no one exemplifies the antithesis of Jesus' teachings like a judgmental, hateful, selfish, hypocritical, "screw the poor" Freeper douchebag - like you.

And take the neo Nazi "Christian" with you.

by Anonymousreply 5003/18/2013

say what?

by Anonymousreply 5303/19/2013

by Anonymousreply 5403/19/2013

Why is this on the History Channel? The Bible is pure fiction.

by Anonymousreply 5503/19/2013

What a low way to garner more attention for this trivial drivel by hiring some Obama look-a-like.

by Anonymousreply 5603/19/2013

This is fucking bullshit.

Those two fundie assholes, Burnett and Downey aren't even FROM this country. Where are the fucking teabaggers to scream "send them back to their country!!!" ???

These two disgusting foreign pigs got fat off the calf, and now they want to demonize (no pun intended) our President.

Send these Australian and Irish shitbags BACK TO WHERE THEY FUCKING CAME FROM!!!!

If they don't like our Democratically elected President who reflects the will of the people, then GO BACK to your country.

We neither want you, nor need you Mr. Burnett and Ms. Downey. Fucking trash!!

by Anonymousreply 5703/19/2013

I liked it better when the History Channel dealt with true-to-life topics, like Monster Quest.

by Anonymousreply 5803/19/2013

Forget a possible resemblance to Obama.

Shiny white dude as Jesus, black dude as the devil.

What's not to love?

by Anonymousreply 5903/19/2013

Burnett may or may not be an Obama supporter but money is the bottom line here as well as high ratings and I can't think of a better way to hike ratings.

by Anonymousreply 6003/19/2013

It looks nothing like him, and now because a mentally ill retard likens the character to Obama, suddenly it becomes true, that the History Channel has an agenda. I feel sorry for the actor.

by Anonymousreply 6103/19/2013

It looks remarkably like an aged version of him. You are blind, r61.

by Anonymousreply 6203/19/2013

The people Burnett and Downey used as their consultants reads like a fundie all-star list, chief among them the head of Focus on the Family. They all DESPISE Obama.

by Anonymousreply 6303/19/2013

R61 is legally blind.

It absolutely looks like an old version of him.

But beyond's incredibly racist to cast a white guy as Jesus and a man of color as satan. That's the real issue here.

by Anonymousreply 6403/19/2013

That's what I said, R64.

Why is no one talking about that?

by Anonymousreply 6503/19/2013

.... but..but But but we live in a POST_RACIAL AMURCIA y'all!!!!

(r64 gets it right.)

by Anonymousreply 6603/19/2013

[quote]Conservative commentator Glenn Beck was one of the first to make the connection, tweeting his thoughts March 16.

On one hand I doubt the History Channel was thinking of Obama and I knew it hd to be some shit stirring Conservative Troll calling attention to this. FUCK I hate those idiot-mongers.

The the article says "people" are calling it out- as if it's universal, which it isn't. It's shit-stirrers using this as another excuse to align "Obama" with "Evil" and feigning that their just 'making an observation'.

On the other hand, yes, this is racist. Dark People are Evil is the oldest fucking trope. The history channel should be ashamed of itself for that reason alone.

by Anonymousreply 6703/19/2013

Can we talk about the fact that Jesus is portrayed by a white person.

When are "historians" going to get it right? Jesus was born and raised in the middle east. He was a person of color, with dark hair and brown eyes for fuck's sake.

by Anonymousreply 6803/19/2013

Obviously the history channel needs to change their name. Perhaps The Hypocrisy Channel, or Our Version of History Channel.

by Anonymousreply 6903/19/2013

Hollywood always gets Jesus wrong. Not only wasn't he white, the New Testament itself says Jesus was ordinary looking, if not homely.

by Anonymousreply 7003/19/2013

R67...How do you know what the History channel was "thinking"? First of all Burnett is apparently a fundie who consulted with his dear friend at Focus on the Family. You think they wouldn't have done such a thing?

The real issue here is the one of casting a white person as Jesus and a person of color as Satan. Period.

by Anonymousreply 7103/19/2013

yes r71. Which is why I wrote,

[quote]...[bold] yes, this is racist.[/bold] Dark People are Evil is the oldest fucking trope. The history channel should be ashamed of itself for that reason alone.

by Anonymousreply 7203/19/2013

go to hell, r74.

by Anonymousreply 7503/19/2013

And r77 uses capitals, so we she's right.

by Anonymousreply 7803/19/2013

We have trolls from Oh No They Didn't! now. Ugh.

by Anonymousreply 7903/19/2013

The History Channel sure is craptastic these days.

by Anonymousreply 8003/19/2013

For those people who couldn't be bothered watching such nonsense here's a ten-minute cut-down of the show - with critical commentary.

This show blows.

by Anonymousreply 8103/19/2013

thanks r81!

by Anonymousreply 8203/19/2013

Fuck them.

by Anonymousreply 8303/19/2013

It's the Jay Leno's Tonight Show of Bible programming in that it's low brow trash that appeals to low brow trash. No thinking or depth required.

Like others in this thread, it is laughable to me that any Christian expects to be taken seriously when they've got no problem believing bullshit about walking on water and turning water into wine, yet cannot accept common sense about their savior: The fact that Jesus was inevitably a darker man.

There has never been a point in history when the Middle East wasn't primarily populated with darker people. It's pretty obvious Jesus has no intention of coming back because he knows he'd end up in GITMO what with many of his lovin' followers being hypocritical, racist turds who couldn't even accept the real HIM.

by Anonymousreply 8403/19/2013

by Anonymousreply 8503/19/2013

Remember that Jesus himself was quite hot.

by Anonymousreply 8603/19/2013

first of all, Jesus was an observant JEW. he believed he was the Jewish messiah. He'd be mortified to find out that he'd been turned into a christian.

The bible was written in the tradition of midrash. It's ALL meant to be metaphor. All of it. It was never meant to be taken literally...its writers would find that the epitome of foolishness and stupidity.

by Anonymousreply 8703/19/2013

Sorry R87, Bubba and sons just can't handle that.

by Anonymousreply 8803/19/2013

Religion is for 'Murakins!

tic toc 'Murakins!

Don't feel bad though... Apparently the dinosaurs never saw it coming either .

PS,now YOU are the minority (we know you people don't do irony,so lets leave it at that).

by Anonymousreply 9003/19/2013

Wow!!! It looks exactly like Obama. His creepier doppelganger. That's pretty low of Burnett.

by Anonymousreply 9103/19/2013

R92= the ghost of hitler.

by Anonymousreply 9303/19/2013

and you, r94, are a troll.

by Anonymousreply 9503/21/2013

[quote]first of all, Jesus was an observant JEW. he believed he was the Jewish messiah. He'd be mortified to find out that he'd been turned into a christian.

The Jews have disowned him. Either he'd have his own religion, or none at all. He was and is shunned for life.

by Anonymousreply 9603/21/2013

"I believe Mark Burnett and his wife and the History Channel. I don’t believe they intentionally portrayed the Lucifer character to look like Mr. Obama. I think God guided the hand of the makeup artist and blinded the eyes of everybody on the movie set while it was being recorded, and the spiritual blinders were removed Sunday night when the program was broadcast nationally on the History Channel. How many clues do we need from Heaven to understand that the man in the White House is a devil from Hell?" -

Televangelist Rick Wiles, speaking on his radio show. (Via Right Wing Watch)

by Anonymousreply 9703/21/2013

R96...that doesn't alter what I've said. He was an observant Jew and he believed himself to be the Jewish messiah. The Jews haven't 'disowned' him, they just don't regard him as the messiah, particularly since he failed to meet the requirements.

by Anonymousreply 9803/22/2013

by Anonymousreply 9903/22/2013

It's when they do shit like this that you just want to martyr a few conservatives since it's obvious that's what a lot of them (including Fred Phelps and Shirley Phelps-Roper) really want. But then you'd be just like them....

by Anonymousreply 10003/22/2013

R50 - Do you read the posts on this thread and throughout the site?

Holy Crap are you delusional. The DL for the most part has no use for the bible or any of the stories in it.

This site attacks anything or anyone that doesn't fit into the "gay friendly" confines of the very limited paradigm of DL.

by Anonymousreply 10103/22/2013

It's comforting to know R87 has a hotline to Jesus to find out he "would be mortified".

by Anonymousreply 10203/22/2013

Spare me, christian frau. Jesus was JEWISH. He believed he was the Jewish Messiah. YES, he would be mortified. I realize you're probably an idiot who thinks Jesus was a're a moron. PAUL started the christian church, and he did it against the wishes of the apostle Paul and Jesus' brother James. Paul preached to gentiles and told them they didn't have to abide by Jewish practices...including order to 'follow' Jesus. AGAIN...Jesus was JEWISH.

by Anonymousreply 10303/22/2013

R103. That was quick. I have a red hotline phone too. I just spoke to him..he is not mortified.

Jesus was born a Jew yes and was a practicing Jew and died at the hands on the Jews.

PETER was the rock in which the church was built.

Wow. sign off now and stop making a bigger fool of yourself.

by Anonymousreply 10403/22/2013

Wasn't there an SNL skit in which the Obama Cabinet tried to get him pissed off (ala the Incredible Hulk or something equally stupid)? Maybe, subliminally, this Satan association will scare the dumb fucks in Congress enough that they'll capitulate the next time Obama puts forth a proposal.

by Anonymousreply 10503/22/2013

I'm not the one making a fool of myself, frau.

He did not "die at the hands of the Jews." you're an anti-Semite. The roman prefect ordered Jesus' execution. You must be referring to the fact that the prefect offered the crowd a chance to free one of two condemned criminals, and the crowd chose Barabbas rather then Jesus. But BOTH men were already scheduled for execution by the prefect.

Peter was not the rock of a christian church. Jesus was referring to the JEWISH faith...he chose 12 apostles to represent the 12 tribes. PAUL founded the christian church, NOT Peter. Peter was an observant Jew who fought to get the Jews to recognize Jesus as THEIR savior.

You're a total moron who's swallowed a bunch of christian bullshit, and clearly you haven't studied religion at all.

It was all meant to be metaphorical anyway, none of it was ever meant to be taken literally. EVER.

by Anonymousreply 10603/22/2013

R106. If you weren't so ignorant and pathetic, I would be hysterically laughing.

by Anonymousreply 11003/22/2013

107-110= nutty christian frau.

You're off your meds, dear.

by Anonymousreply 11103/22/2013

I notice,110, that you have no counter argument.

Because you're completely wrong.

by Anonymousreply 11203/22/2013

Of course! We are all nuts and fraus.

by Anonymousreply 11303/22/2013 are completely righ about everything R112...ok feel better?

by Anonymousreply 11403/22/2013

[quote] 107-110= nutty christian frau.

No, just our Stormfront Troll.

by Anonymousreply 11503/22/2013

Considering how Mark Burnett's "reality"shows portray people of color,I'm not surprised by the casting of Satan as a black guy...

by Anonymousreply 11803/23/2013

I'm in a History Channel movie. It's about vampires, not the bible. None of the vampires looked like Obama.

by Anonymousreply 11903/23/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!