Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

The post office opened my letter

I sent a card to my Mom just because I hadn't written her a 'real' letter in a while and I thought she'd like some random pictures of me and my life - just to put up on her fridge, etc.

The letter was a novelty kind of card that you write on, fold up and use stickers to seal. I thought it was cute.

Mom said she received it, all the stickers had been torn and clearly the card had been opened. I didn't count the pictures so I don't know if they're all there. There was no notice on it as to why it had been opened.

WTF? Isn't that illegal? If they suspected something, don't they have to tell us why?

by Anonymousreply 3103/22/2013

It's illegal but happens all the time. Post office employees will open cards looking for money. That's why you shouldn't mail cash. You should report it to your post office and your mother should report it to hers.

by Anonymousreply 103/18/2013

That is sad, in the USA. Damn, yes this is a problem in third world countries, here? Damn.

by Anonymousreply 203/18/2013

My sister sent me a package for Christmas.

When I received it, the package was completely taped up. When I opened it, there was nothing inside.

I called my sister. She had sent me an Ipod. She bought it, took it to a post office in LA, and packaged it on the spot and then mailed it (insured). Apparently somebody at the PO was watching her, because they cut open the package, took out the Ipod and taped it back up.

by Anonymousreply 403/18/2013

Actually, in Hawaii at least, postal theft is a huge issue. I used to send well-wrapped cash to someone in Hawaii a lot, but had to stop, because the mail would never reach them.

I prefer sending cash, but have had to stop. There's no recourse if stolen.

by Anonymousreply 503/18/2013

At least she had it insured.

by Anonymousreply 603/18/2013

Can an Apple product be traced if it's registered (which it is automatically when it's bought)? I know that stolen iPhones can be traced. What about other gadgets? Can the thief be traced by logging into iTunes? If not, they should make that possible.

by Anonymousreply 703/18/2013

Why would anyone mail cash?

by Anonymousreply 803/18/2013

I mail cash to my nephews. Birthday cards, a crisp bill.

by Anonymousreply 903/18/2013

R8 -- my mom sends me cash in the mail a few times a year. It's never been stolen, not even once when she obviously didn't seal the envelope well, so the glue didn't "take" so it was (naturally) open upon arrival.

In the case of the OP, I'm wondering whether the item was misdelivered, with the recipient opening it before realize the mistake? I've done that, putting the item back in the mail to be re-delivered.

by Anonymousreply 1003/18/2013

Scotch created wide cellophane and strapping tape when people wrapped packages with string that jammed machines in the post office.

by Anonymousreply 1103/18/2013

I had a similar experience to R4. Ordered something from the Sharper Image a few years ago and it arrived on my doorstep with a big slit in the tape on bottom and the item missing from inside. I reported it to the post office and to Sharper Image who shipped another one free of charge.

by Anonymousreply 1203/18/2013

Is your mother incarcerated? The prison does this to my correspondence to an inmate all the time. They rip stamps and stickers from envelopes because it's an ideal way to smuggle LSD to prisoners.

by Anonymousreply 1303/18/2013

OP here.

Stickers jammed in the machine is good thought but they were slit open. The sticker were on each edge of a tri-folded card stock letter. They were keeping the photos inside.

Judge the silliness if you like but mom loved it. I hope she does report it.

by Anonymousreply 1603/22/2013

She'll get a smile and a cookie for her time.

by Anonymousreply 1703/22/2013

The real answer is Homeland Security OP. I get a lot of open packages and letters, but they never seem to do that to bills, just stuff they don't know what it is.

by Anonymousreply 1803/22/2013

Those stickers were laced with LSD. I see a long stay in a county jail for YOU mister.

by Anonymousreply 1903/22/2013

I knew a guy who was a mail carrier. Anytime that anyone mentioned a magazine, he would say, "I read that one." This guy is a total doofus so I couldn't figure why he would be reading art magazines, the Metropolitan Opera magazine, BBC classical music, etc. I finally asked him why he was subscribing to them. He said the people on his route subscribe. He reads them on his lunch hour. If there's something he doesn't finish, he takes it home and then delivers it the next day.

by Anonymousreply 2003/22/2013

LOL R20. Sounds like Cliff Clavin

by Anonymousreply 2103/22/2013

I've never had a problem with the Postal Service and opened letters or packages. But I have had packages from Amazon opened and then resealed and they were both delivered by UPS. I guess my taste in music and books didn't appeal to the propsective thieves. All the items were there but I had to notify Amazon about the problem. I wonder if they are really looking for the good stuff like iPads, Kindles, iPhones and Nooks?

by Anonymousreply 2203/22/2013

If they wrote Cliff Clavin like that, people would say the character is too outlandish, r21. I haven't seen him in about ten years but as soon as I got on Facebook I blocked him, the only person I've ever blocked. He thinks everyone who knows him isn't on Facebook because everyone has him blocked.

by Anonymousreply 2303/22/2013

Oh my god r23, he sounds EXACTLY like Clavin. I am laughing out loud over here picturing Clavin with his newly bought computer and only his mom being on his facebook, if Cheers were on now they would have to make that a storyline.

by Anonymousreply 2403/22/2013

UPS is awful. I just had an incident where they left a package basically on my driveway because the driver was too lazy to walk up to my door. By leaving it out on the Driveway he left it open to anyone walking or driving by to help themselves.

I've had problems in the past with them just throwing packages down the walkway to my front door because they didnt want to walk the 10 steps.

Reporting it just made things worse. The next time I had a package, I watched through the window as the driver kicked it up to my door. Apparently they're notorious for getting revenge when you report them.

by Anonymousreply 2503/22/2013

I'm so lucky -- I have letters opened and taped up after people put cash inside.

It's great to be me.

by Anonymousreply 2603/22/2013

I remember UPS a few years ago delivering a couple of blu-ray players to my neighbors right around Christmas. The neighbors were out of town and the driver just left them on their porch. I grabbed them and left a note for my neighbors, they were gone for like 2 days. That shit is unacceptable. They need to have people sign for stuff like they used to. I hate them since their strike anyhow, Fed Ex is better.

by Anonymousreply 2703/22/2013

I don't know if this still holds true but in the past, if UPS left something at your door and the recepient said they didn't receive it, UPS had to pay for a replacement. I assumed the Driver would then get reprimanded or possibly have to pay for the item.

by Anonymousreply 2803/22/2013

That sucks, OP! Sorry to hear about that.

by Anonymousreply 2903/22/2013

OP, the government is reading your mail, your email, and right now your monitor camera and microphone are on, recording you and your key strokes.

Do you recall getting any endless "update your Flash here" messages? It wasn't Flash, it was the National Security Agency taking control of your computer at their whim with what you downloaded from the Flash update.

This is true. There are many stories about it on the internet.

by Anonymousreply 3003/22/2013

I've had horrible problems with the USPS opening things I send, opening things I receive, not delivering my mail, delivering me the wrong mail, etc.

I complained several times, until the manager said, "I don't know why you keep coming down here, I'm not going to do anything about it."

Now, I just have everything delivered to my office and I send my mail out from there as well.

by Anonymousreply 3103/22/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!