Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Michelle Shocked: "God hates fags"

I didn't know she'd become a fundie. Apparently so.

[quote]Folk singer Michelle Shocked effectively ended her career last night when she told a San Francisco concert audience, "You can go on Twitter and tell people that Michelle Shocked says 'God hates fags'." According to reports, much of the audience immediately left the venue in anger. The music press has often identified Shocked as lesbian herself, mistakenly it now appears, unless she's gone "ex-gay."

by Anonymousreply 42904/03/2013

She had one good song,

but she's been fading for years.

Now she can be dismissed entirely.

by Anonymousreply 103/18/2013

Before hitting it big, didn't she have a lot of mental issues?

by Anonymousreply 203/18/2013

Maybe she prayed away her homosexuality.

by Anonymousreply 303/18/2013

Why aren't these loons afraid of going on stage and being shot?

by Anonymousreply 403/18/2013

Frankly I'm shocked ..........not really.

I couldn't name a single song of hers, so this won't impact my music library at all.

Hopefully there's a lot of hateful people somewhere that will be inspired to buy her music now.

by Anonymousreply 503/18/2013

Bitch stole my line.

See ya in court, doll.

by Anonymousreply 603/18/2013

I have never heard of her. I sincerely thought this was going to be a thread about Michelle Obama being shocked because she got some sort of revelation about how god felt about us.

by Anonymousreply 703/18/2013

When I saw it in the news this morning, my first thought was "Wow, she is done. She just ended her career." Turns out Joe My God said the same thing.

by Anonymousreply 803/18/2013

Self-loather.

by Anonymousreply 903/18/2013

She needs a few thousand volts of electro-shocked therapy, stat.

by Anonymousreply 1003/18/2013

Maybe she can bend over, stuff herself into her own cunt, and be reborn into something more closely approaching a human being.

by Anonymousreply 1103/18/2013

Far as I know, Shocked was one of those bisexual performers who always dated men. But this seems bizarre. Was she joking?

by Anonymousreply 1303/18/2013

She is an amazing songwriter, a poet. One of my favorite folk singers.

This ruined my day.

by Anonymousreply 1403/18/2013

Her wiki page says she attends West Angeles Church of God. In 2005, she released a trio of albums, and one was called "Don't Ask, Don't Tell." And she definitely look dykey, so it does looks she found God and became an ex-gay.

by Anonymousreply 1503/18/2013

This is not the first time she said something homophobic, so I'm not surprised. I am, however, shocked at her bluntness.

I have long stopped listening to her music. Never will I buy anything she makes.

by Anonymousreply 1603/18/2013

We discussed this last year. Here's the thread.

Back in the 90s she seemed like a cool alt-country chick, sort of in the kd lang vein. Too bad what she's become. Glad the only CD of hers I ever bought was used so no money went to her homophobic pockets.

by Anonymousreply 1703/18/2013

Are we sure this isn't somehow being taken out of context? That she wasn't speaking sarcastically?

by Anonymousreply 1803/18/2013

She ran into trouble in the 90s when she appeared in black face on an album cover, which the company withdrew and redid prior to release.

I thought it was just a mis-step, but apparently not.

And oddly, the album "Arkansas Traveller" was actually really good.

The whole thing is very odd, very sad.

by Anonymousreply 1903/18/2013

yes, r18.

we're sure.

by Anonymousreply 2003/18/2013

I feel bad for her... Apparently she suffers from schizophrenia. She adopted the Shocked monicker in reference to her electroshock treatments in the 1980s.

by Anonymousreply 2103/18/2013

I don't feel bad for her.

by Anonymousreply 2203/18/2013

Who is she???

by Anonymousreply 2303/18/2013

Stupid is as stupid does........

by Anonymousreply 2403/18/2013

Don't know who she is, but this outburst is well, very weird- she seems more mentally ill than anything else.

by Anonymousreply 2503/18/2013

Michelle WHO?

I'm sorry dear, I have no idea who this person is.

NEXT

by Anonymousreply 2603/18/2013

For those not familiar with her, there is more background on the Wonkette item.

[quote]Sorry, fellow 1980s protesters against “nuclear war” and “nuclear power” and “whatever else we were protesting about in the 1980s oh yeah we remember now it was Iran-Contra.” You are now going to have to throw away your cassette tape of “Short Sharp Shocked,” which was the soundtrack to all those protests, because Michelle Shocked, who used to come to those protests and play the git-tar, has gone off the fucking rails talking about fags and hating fags and the proper non-care and non-feeding of fags, and how gay marriage will destroy the world. Can somebody please come up with a “When I Grow Up I Want to Be an Old Woman” pun, for us to put here? Great, thanks!

[quote]So is this how Victoria Jackson’s fans felt when she started getting all nutty-Christ-y-God-Hates-Fagsy? Oh right, Victoria Jackson didn’t have any fans. Shocked has also been big in Occupy drum circles lately, as seen above, and was once married to our friend Bart Bull, who says she is crazy but of course all ex-husbands say that but now we guess we believe him.

by Anonymousreply 2703/18/2013

[quote]I have never heard of her. I sincerely thought this was going to be a thread about Michelle Obama being shocked because she got some sort of revelation about how god felt about us.

I thought the same thing when I saw the thread title because I hadn't heard of Michelle Shocked either.

by Anonymousreply 2803/18/2013

From OP's link:

[quote]She was hospitalized not long ago after being diagnosed with paranoid schizophrenia. She is extremely mentally ill and her deep seated psychosis is most likely what is behind her statements. She is currently on a self-destructive path that will surely not end well for her.

Oh, well, I'm sure there will be an apology a few months from now.

by Anonymousreply 2903/18/2013

What a way to flush your legacy down the drain.

by Anonymousreply 3003/18/2013

One needs to have a legacy first.

by Anonymousreply 3103/18/2013

gay-4-pay

punch

delete

by Anonymousreply 3203/18/2013

[quote]For those not familiar with her, there is more background on the Wonkette item.

And for those not missing some brain cells, her "On the Greener Side" lost to Sinead O'Connor's "Nothing Compares to You" at the 1990 VMAs. "Arkansas Traveler" was a brilliant piece of folk/rock. You may not know who she was, but she has a legacy.

by Anonymousreply 3303/18/2013

She'll be appearing next at the IHOP in Solvang, opening for Gallagher.

by Anonymousreply 3403/18/2013

Who?

by Anonymousreply 3503/18/2013

Is she Asian?

by Anonymousreply 3603/18/2013

She was discovered at a folk festival in Texas. Se wasn't a scheduled performer; a record executive heard her performing and taped it on his Walkman. That recording was released as The Texas Campfire Tapes, and it appeared on the indie charts before Michelle Shocked even knew that she had been recorded.

As a lyricist, I place her up there with Woody Guthrie. She has that sense of play with language and knack for metaphors. The Texas Campfire Tapes in particular is ingenious; those songs have the wisdom and simplicity of classic folk songs. Her talent was preternatural.

Also, like Woodie, she is a poet of the downtrodden, dispossessed, the minority. I'm linking the lyrics of "Streetcorner Ambassador" from Captain Swing; it's a good example of her wit and style.

That's why her comments worry me more than they anger me. She is a formidable artist and moral voice IMO. Something is wrong,..she is struggling, sick or desperate, I would guess. But maybe I'm fooling myself.

by Anonymousreply 3703/18/2013

And here is "The Secret Admirer."

by Anonymousreply 3903/18/2013

I saw her in concert in the 80s as an opening act for Billy Bragg (he was the one I wanted to see)

I think she is mentally ill - and lots of mentally ill people like to attach themselves to extreme politics

by Anonymousreply 4003/18/2013

I remember the surprise back in the late '80's when she got a boyfriend - she gave these interviews talking about how happy they were, living on a houseboat. It didn't ring true. I think she's in deep denial of who she is.

by Anonymousreply 4103/18/2013

Truly a shame, serious mental illness and cult-like fundamentalist religion have probably ended her career.

by Anonymousreply 4203/18/2013

This thread is up to 40 posts and no one has mentioned "Anchorage" yet? It's her most famous song.

Came out around the time of Tracy Chapman, didn't she? On a wave of folk song women hitting the charts.

by Anonymousreply 4303/18/2013

The fact that she chose to declare "God hates fags" DURING A CONCERT IN SAN FRANCISCO is in itself proof of her severe mental illness.

by Anonymousreply 4403/18/2013

The Bay Area Reporter has a detailed story. It sounds like a severe mental breakdown, starting with her announcing there was an "invisible man" on stage with her and ending with her leaving the stage sobbing.

by Anonymousreply 4503/18/2013

whatevs.

by Anonymousreply 4603/18/2013

her husband looks satanic.

by Anonymousreply 4703/18/2013

Wow...seeing the subject of the thread was a reoovered memory. I used to love her and then completely forgot about her. I associate her with Billy Bragg. Too bad. This is sad.

by Anonymousreply 4803/18/2013

Why on earth would people mistake her for a lesbian?

by Anonymousreply 4903/18/2013

the husband looks kind of gay, too

by Anonymousreply 5003/18/2013

Who?

by Anonymousreply 5103/18/2013

Who the hell is Michelle Shocked? never heard of her...so why would the things she say even matter...

by Anonymousreply 5203/18/2013

Maybe she reads DL.

by Anonymousreply 5303/18/2013

This is v. disappointing - I'm sorry, but I love her early stuff.

Texas Campfire Tapes

Arkansas Traveler

Short, Sharp Shocked

sad.

by Anonymousreply 5403/18/2013

One of those artists who I've always known by name and yet couldn't name one song they performed.

by Anonymousreply 5503/18/2013

I loved her early stuff too, but bitch is off of my iTunes - I deleted everything.

She's a heinous fundie twat. And worse yet, she's a closet case.

The Michfest womyn will build a bonfire burning this bitch's CD's.

by Anonymousreply 5603/18/2013

I'm surprised people were not clued in on what kind of fundie wacko she's been for years. She publicly declared herself being anti-abortion, railed at the audience at some gay Christian folk festival a couple of years ago telling them she was the world's biggest homophobe, etc. This was simply a logical conclusion of the road she's been on for a while.

by Anonymousreply 5703/18/2013

She was as good as Sinead, Tracy Chapman, etc. and her music was entertaining.

But I remember a few years ago hearing about her singing at a black gospel church in LA and fingered that it wasn't going to end well.

by Anonymousreply 5803/18/2013

I remember the 'On The Greenr Side song but, prior to that I remember seeing this cunt's records in the late 80s and immediately thinking 'dyke.' Glad I never bought any of her music. I hope she gets gang raped by a pack of wolves.

by Anonymousreply 5903/18/2013

People on this thread who keep saying "i've never heard of her."

ENOUGH.

No one is saying she's the most famous woman in the world. She's a longtime indie musician with a loyal following along the lines of Tracy Chapman. There. Now you know who she is.

by Anonymousreply 6003/18/2013

[quote]I think she is mentally ill - and lots of mentally ill people like to attach themselves to extreme politics

You take that back or i'll sue!

by Anonymousreply 6103/18/2013

"Anchorage" was a great song when it came out. And we all thought we had an ally in Michelle Shocked (if only because aren't like most of the women who move to Alaska truck drivers?!)

Sorry to hear of her breakdown.

BUT Hey, 'chelle, you know its kinda funny...Texas always seemed so big...

But what would make you think I hate fags, you presumptuous loon?

by Anonymousreply 6203/18/2013

So...to sum up:

she claimed to be bi

but instead she is just bipolar?

by Anonymousreply 6303/18/2013

When I Grow Up.

Really great song.

Shame she's a c--t.

by Anonymousreply 6403/18/2013

[quote] The Michfest womyn will build a bonfire burning this bitch's CD's.

Don't bet on it. She didn't say "God hates lezzies."

by Anonymousreply 6503/18/2013

The vag, vag, vag....

Didn't keep her satisfied....

It's a shame she went straight, and leaned into the hate.

ON THE MEANER SIDE

by Anonymousreply 6603/18/2013

Paranoid schizophrenic is so much worse than just being bipolar R63.

by Anonymousreply 6703/18/2013

Maybe she has multiple personalities....

by Anonymousreply 6803/18/2013

It's wrong... [italic]Shocked-ly[/italic] wrong!

by Anonymousreply 6903/18/2013

Don't confuse me with this crazy white bitch!

by Anonymousreply 7103/18/2013

What was that one good song, R1?

(I heard of her name but have no awareness for her music. Given this report, that's actually good.)

by Anonymousreply 7303/18/2013

I hope this nasty cunt dies a lonely miserable death locked away in a mental institution.

by Anonymousreply 7403/18/2013

Her web page links to about 15 upcoming dates. I counted 5 cancellations so far, although her LA gig Saturday doesn't appear to be one of them.

by Anonymousreply 7503/18/2013

Fuck her. She is over. Only the acoustic first record was worth a listen. Let her burn in her hell. Cunt.

by Anonymousreply 7603/18/2013

we interrupt this angry thread for something a little more important:

David Bowie as a kitten.

by Anonymousreply 7803/18/2013

by Anonymousreply 7903/18/2013

I'm hearing from SF friends there is no doubt whatsoever that she was, in fact, a lesbian.

There's some ex-gay fuckery going on here. That, and the shock therapy musta burned some brain cells.

by Anonymousreply 8003/18/2013

Earlier in the day, a note under 'Tour History' on her tour date page said: "Humans are the only species who shit where they eat", sort of a keen observation for a mentally ill person, I thought.

Now 8 confirmed tour dates cancelled per the link.

by Anonymousreply 8103/18/2013

I liked one song of hers.

If this was a normal thread the normal thing to do would be to find it on yt and post a link. But in this case it would be in very bad taste, obviously.

My most immediate reaction to this is pity, for some reason.

by Anonymousreply 8203/18/2013

Hilarious @ R79.

by Anonymousreply 8303/18/2013

Direct your hate toward the religious oppression that induced her shame/guilt/extreme self-loathing mental illness. Without the religious abuse, her mental illness would never have manifested this way.

by Anonymousreply 8403/19/2013

The only song of hers I am familiar with is "Anchored down in Anchorage" and that really isn't so great,now is it? Yuck. Go away, Shelly, just go away. They overplayed your hit and your 15 minutes is ov-ah.

by Anonymousreply 8503/19/2013

Drive by the plaza where the gays boys pose

Stand in their windows wearin' no clothes

I heard the screams of the dying dark

The sweet green icing of MacArthur Park

by Anonymousreply 8603/19/2013

It sounds like she went completely bonkers right there on stage. A full breakdown.

by Anonymousreply 8703/19/2013

What a psycho. She does write pretty damn good folk songs though. Pity.

by Anonymousreply 8803/19/2013

[quote] Direct your hate toward the religious oppression that induced her shame/guilt/extreme self-loathing mental illness. Without the religious abuse, her mental illness would never have manifested this way.

Quoted for TRUTH.

by Anonymousreply 8903/19/2013

Why does she get a pass? Because she made shitty alt music? Anyone else would be excoriated for this shit but for her it's ok because she was led to it by the religion that brainwashed her. Bullshit. Say the same about any fundie then.

by Anonymousreply 9003/19/2013

Never heard of her.

She can't be a big name.

by Anonymousreply 9103/19/2013

Can't believe there are people in their 40s on this thread who've never heard of Michelle Shocked.

by Anonymousreply 9203/19/2013

She's a nobody, R92. She's not Dolly Parton or Reba McIntyre.

by Anonymousreply 9403/19/2013

Well, I'm 47 and have never heard her name before this.

by Anonymousreply 9503/19/2013

No less than JANIS IAN has spoken! Her comments:

Well, that's too bad. As a performer with 45 years of shows behind me, I've had walk-outs when I sang about interracial couples, and when I sang about AIDS, and walkouts more recently when I sang about gay marriage. I am the first to argue that I have a right to sing and speak about those things on stage, just as the audience has the right to walk out, object to the management, and ask for their money back if they feel deceived.

Our country is in large part founded on the concept of free speech - the right to speak your mind politically and socially. But there is a huge difference between "Free speech" and "Hate speech." It is sad when a talented person chooses to use that talent in the service of their own misplaced rage, and their disappointment in their own life. I often wonder if people like this die and meet God, who will smack them upside the head and say "Did I really LOOK like I needed your help?!"

And isn't it odd to see someone who was so woman-identified turn a 360 degree like this? Then again, "Hell hath no fury..."

by Anonymousreply 9903/19/2013

closet-case

by Anonymousreply 10003/19/2013

" Then again, "Hell hath no fury..."

Like a man.

by Anonymousreply 10203/19/2013

Dear Jesus, she's managed to make me look sane, calm and rational!

by Anonymousreply 10303/19/2013

I'm 57 and I know who she is...and even been to her concerts.

But then I like the alt - folk thing.

by Anonymousreply 10403/19/2013

Lordy, she's ugly. I don't think God would hate fags as much as he'd hate ugly people, and boy is she UGLY.

by Anonymousreply 10503/19/2013

A friend of mine saw her perform when we were in college (1991.) It was at Smith College. During the set, Shocked said she didn't mean to upset anybody but she was dating a guy. They booed her but Shocked was good-natured about it.

by Anonymousreply 10603/19/2013

Wasn't it shocked who said this category should have been called Best lesbian Vocalist in a year at some music awards show when she, Tracy Chapman, The Indigo Girls and kd lang were all nominated?

by Anonymousreply 10703/19/2013

I love washed up/never was 80s singers who have the ability to speak for God

by Anonymousreply 10803/19/2013

She canceled the rest of her tour.

I think, more accurately, it was cancelled for her.

by Anonymousreply 10903/19/2013

Someone updated her Wikipedia page to say she's a bigot and closet case.

This is rich.

by Anonymousreply 11003/19/2013

And wikipedia already changed it back. Boo.

by Anonymousreply 11103/19/2013

There's a mention of the incident on the Wiki page.

by Anonymousreply 11203/19/2013

Someone up thread said they've known of her for years but couldn't name a single song, and that sums me up too. I'm sure I've heard her music and I know I had friends who liked her (all lesbians and/or alt chicks), but she's a pretty obscure act when you consider music as a whole.

If you're white, crunchy, like alternative music and/or folk, AND in your 40s, you might have heard of her. But she never had a big hit (even within her genre of alt-folk) or even much of a cult following like Tori Amos or the Indigo Girls.

by Anonymousreply 11303/19/2013

The ony song of hers I ever remember hearing in the mainstream was "On the Greener Side" and the video which had the hot men in green speedos as an answer to the Robert Palmer videos.

by Anonymousreply 11403/19/2013

If I looked like her, I'd be angry too.

by Anonymousreply 11903/19/2013

I'm shocked by her homophobia.

But my new cd!

by Anonymousreply 12003/19/2013

[quote]And isn't it odd to see someone who was so woman-identified turn a 360 degree like this?

Oh, dear.

by Anonymousreply 12103/19/2013

[quote]But she never had a big hit (even within her genre of alt-folk)

She was nominated for a VMA (back when MTV still "mattered" -- relatively) alongside Sinead O'Connor, Madonna, Alannah Myles and Paula Abdul, so, yes she had a big hit.

by Anonymousreply 12203/19/2013

If you don't know who she is, watch the link at R86. It's a video of one of her best songs. Plus it's rich in symbolism and clues of things to come.

by Anonymousreply 12303/19/2013

Fuck off, Tanita! My new album drops soon!

by Anonymousreply 12403/19/2013

She stole my act!!!

by Anonymousreply 12503/19/2013

What kind of last name is Shocked? I've never heard of her but I really don't listen to music anymore.

by Anonymousreply 12603/19/2013

[quote]What kind of last name is Shocked?

It's a stage name, obviously. It refers to her early experience with electroshock therapy.

[quote]I've never heard of her but I really don't listen to music anymore.

Your contributions to this thread have been invaluable. Thank you. Please feel free to comment about what else you don't know on threads that you don't know anything about. That's so much fun for the rest of us.

by Anonymousreply 12703/19/2013

Her real name is Karen Michelle Johnson. It's been said that she changed it to "Shocked" because of ECT treatments she received for her schizophrenia.

by Anonymousreply 12803/19/2013

I hate her.

by Anonymousreply 12903/19/2013

I have actual gossip/real dish about her and her family but will come back to post it later. Her mother was my Sunday School teacher and also my piano teacher.

by Anonymousreply 13003/19/2013

Don't keep us waiting too long, R130.

by Anonymousreply 13103/19/2013

Gay dad?

Repressed lesbian mom?

WHAT r130?!!

by Anonymousreply 13203/19/2013

[quote]Drive by the plaza where the gays boys pose/Stand in their windows wearin' no clothes

What does this even mean? Does this happen at some place in LA called the plaza? Gay boys pose there in their windows in no clothes? Was the Plaza a strip club? But surely they couldn't pose in the window?!

by Anonymousreply 13303/19/2013

Literal Larry alert @ r133

by Anonymousreply 13403/19/2013

Well then what the fuck does it mean, r134?

Is she imagining a place called the plaza? Are the gay boys there METAPHORICALLY posing in their windows with no clothes? wtf?

by Anonymousreply 13503/19/2013

R135, think of a plaza as a public space. The gay boys wearin' no clothes are on sstage acting as exhibitionists. I think she's trying to set a decadent other world feeling.

by Anonymousreply 13603/19/2013

But you don't really know, do you R136?

by Anonymousreply 13703/19/2013

Still doesn't make a lot of sense to me, r136.

[quote] I think she's trying to set a decadent other world feeling.

Perhaps. And normally I'd just give it a 'poetic license' pass, but then when someone follows such a line with a "God Hates Fags" years later, one does wonder wtf she was talking about. And many of the other sites she mentions in the song are real places, so it's fair to wonder what she's talking about.

She must be referring to SOMETHING. As metaphor it's a head-scratcher. (And either way, it's oddly stigmatizing and overly-sexualizing of gay men).

by Anonymousreply 13803/19/2013

Could the Plaza have been a dive motel in a gay area of LA where there was cruising, up to and including posing in windows late at night?

by Anonymousreply 13903/19/2013

[quote]She must be referring to SOMETHING. As metaphor it's a head-scratcher. (And either way, it's oddly stigmatizing and overly-sexualizing of gay men).

You're giving her far too much credit as a writer.

by Anonymousreply 14003/19/2013

R141 = racist

by Anonymousreply 14203/19/2013

She probably just said it for attention since nobody has given her second thought in over 2 decades. Some people will do anything to get some media attention.

by Anonymousreply 14303/19/2013

Yes, god knows that outside of the black church there is no homophobia.

by Anonymousreply 14403/19/2013

R141, What do you mean by "the unspoken"? What the hell difference does it make what church she attends?

by Anonymousreply 14503/19/2013

R130 here. First you have to understand Michelle grew up dirt, dirt poor in the LDS church. Her mom was devout LDS, super strict, and divorced Michelle's dad then went on to marry another uber strict LDS guy and had all of Michelle's brothers and sisters - about eight or nine of them I believe.

Michelle lived sometimes with her mother and sometimes with her dad, who was not LDS but some kind of southern blues musician dude - whom I never saw or met. She was ten years older than me growing up and the eldest of all her half-siblings who lived up the road from me. Not just a road but a red-dirt, clay road out in the boonies of east TX. Piney woods, moonshine, southern Baptists and Mormons, lots of backwoods atmosphere and not a lot of education. Lots of ignorant people around there back then, still lots of them now.

They all lived in an old LDS church that had been built in the late 1800's and then abandoned in the 1950's when a new LDS church was built "in town". It was a huge, cavernous building and the kids rooms were all small little meeting or classrooms, converted. The living room had a 40' ceiling. The kitchen was the size of a bathroom. It was freezing in there and smelled. My most vivid memory of their house was they had a gigantic, creaking old rectangular shaped trampoline in the middle of the living room. It was awesome.

Her mother was close to my mother and taught me in Sunday School. She was a very sweet and also very smart woman but super religious. All the kids turned out pretty smart but were all really really into church. Michelle was the one you just didn't talk about or mention. Sometimes she would be around, other times you wouldn't hear about her for years.

I remember her younger sister being committed for a while because she had baked pies for the family that contained rat poison. Only the sister and one of the brothers got very ill. But I always wondered WHAT THE FUCK is up with this family?!

AFAIK her family in TX really has nothing to do with her, but I do know they all tried to reconcile several years ago. I guess it didn't take. I am friends with all her siblings on FB and she isn't on any of their pages, EVER. She is not spoken of and barely acknowledged by my hometown, even. That has got to fuck with you to know you acheived a LOT coming from our little hayseed town and don't even get any recognition for it. But we do come from a town of cunts. And a church of cunts to say the least.

I always admired her and last saw her at a Farm Aid concert in the mid 90's. Met with her backstage and she asked how my mother was, how I'd been, etc. She was very cool. But that was the last I ever saw her. What a primadonna nutjob, now. Too bad.

by Anonymousreply 14703/19/2013

Maria McKee (remember her?) posted on her facebook page about this. She's also a "woman of faith" but fully supports gay people, same sex rights and marriage. She believes Michelle is part of some weird doomsday, fundy cult that implores its followers to take a head-on role in spiritual warfare. She's always been fragile and cults like that prey on people like Michelle.

That doesn't excuse her rant. But it might explain it.

by Anonymousreply 14803/19/2013

It may not be PC but to use hateful language can incite violence.

If she would have said, "Due to my religious beliefs, I cannot support gay marriage," then it would be fine with me. It's the tone I dislike.

by Anonymousreply 15003/19/2013

R150, I don't believe you woud be fine with it no matter how she said it. I wouldn't blame you either. But don't buy it just being about the wording.

by Anonymousreply 15103/19/2013

Thanks, r147. Great dish on MS family life.

by Anonymousreply 15203/19/2013

[quote]The ones that hold onto their beliefs have balls.

The same type of "balls" it takes to say that women belong in the home or blacks belong at the back of the bus. There may be a lot of "backlash" when a bigot spouts such beliefs, but this does not make their stance "courageous," dear.

But you are right in one regard. Bigoted tools SHOULD speak up so we know who they are.

by Anonymousreply 15303/19/2013

"Blacks" should never have been at the back of any fucking bus. Michelle would never say such shit. She is speaking about her religious beliefs. Her church supports her. I'm sure that's all that matters to her.

by Anonymousreply 15503/19/2013

It's easy to have balls when you have no real career to speak of. Very ballsy. I can't even feel schadenfreude because it's like kicking a three-legged dog.

by Anonymousreply 15603/19/2013

Tasmin Archer and Dionne Farris will speak about this national tragedy on CNN tonight.

Then Candy Crowley will eat them.

by Anonymousreply 15703/19/2013

We still haven't heard about how Stacey Q feels about sequestration.

by Anonymousreply 15803/19/2013

If God hated fags why did he make his only son one?

by Anonymousreply 15903/19/2013

Guys, there is no love lost between me and any fundie a- hole, or anyone who tries to defend those that attack our community by blaming their actions on the church they make the choice to attend. (they are adults after all, and it is a conscious choice they are making)

But she honestly seems fucked in the head, like actually mentally ill. Especially if she was talking about an invisible man being on stage with her when she made the comments. I actually pity her and I think she deserves that more than anger.

I do think she is a repressed lesbian, and I do think she made the choice to go to fundie anti- gay churches which enforced her internalized homophobia. But I also think she is genuinely mentally ill.

This entire thing just makes me sad.

by Anonymousreply 16003/19/2013

r147, did any of her siblings (the ones you're FB friends with) escape the backwoods mentality of their childhood -- are they gay friendly, etc.?

by Anonymousreply 16103/19/2013

r158 you've forgotten. It was Stacey Q's virulent and vocal antisemitism during the taping of a Facts of Life episode that ended her career.

by Anonymousreply 16203/19/2013

My name is Luka.

I live on the second floor.

by Anonymousreply 16303/19/2013

But what'd she say about lesbians?

by Anonymousreply 16403/19/2013

R161 - they were then and still are well-liked. Half of them stayed in our little town and the others moved to LDS communities out west - Utah I believe. Her mother and stepdad, the siblings father, divorced over a decade ago and both remarried. Her stepfather actually left the Mormon church and is sort of a hippie-type now, though he must be pushing 70.

All her siblings were honor-roll students, most went on to college but live very quiet average lives and they all have a ton of kids.

Clearly the LDS church will make your small town upbringing a living hell, as it did mine and probably Michelle's (we would have had the same leadership people then). You go with that and become ONE OF THEM or you get the fuck out of there.

After getting successful she should have gotten some serious therapy, not run off to even more nutty religious shit.

by Anonymousreply 16503/19/2013

Hey Shell you know it's kinda funny

You're a hateful piece of shit.....

by Anonymousreply 16603/19/2013

[quote]But she honestly seems fucked in the head, like actually mentally ill.

Have you not been reading the thread? It's been stated multiple times that she is confirmed paranoid schizophrenic.

[quote]I do think she is a repressed lesbian

Again, have you read the thread? It's been stated multiple times that she once was part of the lesbian community.

by Anonymousreply 16703/19/2013

It seems that someone in her camp is trying to so some damage control by re-tweeting positive tweets:

by Anonymousreply 16803/19/2013

Her PR person left her two weeks ago. My guess is that what we are witnessing is a mental breakdown. She's supposed to be interviewed for some radio show on Thursday about the controversy and I suspect it will be a complete train wreck.

by Anonymousreply 16903/19/2013

It's made international news. AP ran a story.

by Anonymousreply 17003/19/2013

I really did like her first album. It had some great songs. And I am saddened to learn this.

by Anonymousreply 17103/20/2013

WOW, her pussy stinks. I can smell her soul rotting! Or is that a yeast infection?

by Anonymousreply 17203/20/2013

Yeah, R168, it seems they're trying to spin what she said as "ironic."

by Anonymousreply 17303/20/2013

"When they stop Prop 8 and force priests at gunpoint to marry gays, it will be the downfall of civilization, and Jesus will come back," and "You can go on Twitter and say, 'Michelle Shocked says God hates fags.'"

She said this that night too.

Ironic?

No.

by Anonymousreply 17403/20/2013

"The Telluride Bluegrass Festival in Telluride, Colorado, canceled Shocked's scheduled appearance there - the final date left on her US tour after venues in several other states uninvited her to perform."

by Anonymousreply 17503/20/2013

Ironic?

The only thing ironic about this cunt is that she's a closeted lesbian who happens to be an out homophobe.

The best outcome would be her offing herself.

by Anonymousreply 17603/20/2013

She needs to shut the eff up. Offensive, craxy talk. What a mess.

by Anonymousreply 17703/20/2013

She's mentally ill. She was not being ironic when she said that stuff about Prop 8.

by Anonymousreply 17903/20/2013

It's entirely possible that every homophobic bigot is really mentally ill. Yet no one gives a pass to them .

If she was having a breakdown then it's a very long one from 2011 when she said this at a music festival:

"Folk singer Michelle Shocked, who has in recent years publicly rejected her lesbian fan base, became incensed when asked about her “position on homosexuality” by an audience member. “Who drafted me as a gay icon? You are looking at the world’s greatest homophobe. Ask God what He thinks,” she said, before shutting off her microphone to complain, “There is always someone who wants to catch me.”

Thats in 2011 --2 years ago.

by Anonymousreply 18003/20/2013

Hopefully this link will work better.

by Anonymousreply 18103/20/2013

I think certain links aren't working, R180/R181.

Wikipedia is one.

Might be some links where that source has come back and given Webmaster some trouble? Not sure.

by Anonymousreply 18203/20/2013

R180 I clearly remember her saying that as well in 2011. There was a big thread about it on here as well at the time.

by Anonymousreply 18303/20/2013

[quote]The best outcome would be her offing herself.

Seriously? I think the best outcome would be a change of heart, a sincere apology, extensive therapy and, ultimately, a coming out, followed by activism in support of equality.

Wishing her death isn't helping anyone.

by Anonymousreply 18403/20/2013

these comments make me giggle.

by Anonymousreply 18503/20/2013

I live in Tennessee and no one here even thinks all that very highly of what Michelle Shocked said.

by Anonymousreply 18603/20/2013

R184, you make too much sense. What are you doing here?

by Anonymousreply 18703/20/2013

R167 I am aware that her mental illness has been established multiple times, yet even after it had been established people still posted multiple times how she should horrifically die for her words.

So I reiterated it again, because excuse me if I believe a mentally ill person deserves help and treatment rather than death.

And when I spoke about her sexuality, I was saying I believed her to be a repressed gay person (rather than bisexual, because of the boyfriend she was talking about)

by Anonymousreply 18803/20/2013

Michelle Shocked? How 1988

by Anonymousreply 18903/20/2013

The husband (are they married or "living in sin"?) looks gay to me. Probably one of those ex-gay prayer group relationships, which would explain so much about her behavior.

by Anonymousreply 19003/20/2013

Indeed.

by Anonymousreply 19103/20/2013

Now she's denying it all and saying it was just a big misunderstanding.

by Anonymousreply 19203/20/2013

all about the $$$$$$ and those canceled gigs and damage control.

she did something similar a couple years ago, and we talked about it then.

by Anonymousreply 19303/20/2013

I don't believe her apology for one moment.

by Anonymousreply 19403/20/2013

That "apology" never says anything about her actual views on gay rights. She says her "view of homosexuality has "not changed not one iota", but she never explains what her "view" is, now or before the controversy.

She doesn't take the opportunity to clarify that she wholeheartedly supports gay marriage or that she is now, or ever was, opposed to Prop 8. It's just a lot of obfuscation, platitudes and circular logic.

If she really was horrified that her words were misconstrued, she would take this opportunity to definitively state what her actual views are. If she really supported equality and justice for gay people, she would unequivocally state such, in plain language, such as saying "I fully support the rights gay people have to marry the partner of their choice" or "I believe gay people are just the same as straight people, and should be treated equally under the law" or "no one should ever use religion to justify hate".

Instead we get bullshit about her mimicking "real" homophobes and how bigots who hide behind the bible should be "met with mercy, not hate". Frankly, she seems more concerned with gingerly treating backwards, ignorant church-goers with "mercy" than she does about equal rights for gay people.

Fuck off, you self-loathing closet case, and take your bullshit "apology" with you.

by Anonymousreply 19503/20/2013

well-said, r195.

by Anonymousreply 19603/20/2013

Just go away you old hag. You're tired. No one's looking for you boo.

by Anonymousreply 19703/20/2013

She wants to have it both ways. Win back all her fans without having to apologize and walk back anything she said that night. I think most people have figured out she believes everything she said.

by Anonymousreply 19803/20/2013

A Christian lesbian reporter who interviewed her a couple of years ago talks about her bizarre experience hanging out with Michelle Shocked for a couple of days during a music festival. It also sheds a lot of light on the hypocrisy of today's "apology":

by Anonymousreply 19903/20/2013

I approached her sitting in the audience of a lawn concert just before fellow folkie David Wilcox started his set. We were at Shakori Hills, one of North Carolina’s pristine natural parks set within a beautiful forest. I noted that I’d found earlier interviews quoting her on the “sin” of homosexuality –- and that I’d found them jarring and upsetting.

Without pausing, she shot back, “Good. They should be upsetting.”

I stared at her in confusion. “Um, what?”

Again, no pause: “The truth is upsetting.”

“What?”

We went back and forth on her cryptic statement about truth for a few minutes, and then I managed to ask her about gay marriage. She may have told a San Francisco crowd that gay marriage was a harbinger of Armageddon this week, but at that time she seemed okay with it. Or, looking back, maybe she was dancing around the issue.

She asked me, “Have you ever been in love?”

“Uh…” I was confused. Hadn’t we just met? I’m not big on sharing personal things with strangers.

“I’m in love right now, and it is such a wonderful thing. He makes me so happy! I would never want to deny any gay person the right to experience what I’m experiencing.”

Oh god, she was gushing. This felt so invasive.

I couldn’t get a word or question in edgewise. I’d lost control of the interview –- it was the first time I ever became visibly upset with an interview subject. That’s when she decided to invade my personal space.

She hugged me. Hard. And I flinched pretty hard in response because I’m every bit as averse to hugging strangers as I am to personal sharing.

Then she said she loved me -– it was something to do with the love of Jesus, you see. Did I mention that we’d just met?

Then she said something I’ll never forget: “Am I not the most sincere person you’ve ever met in your entire life?” She looked me straight in the eye to impress me with her honesty. Just before it turned into a staring contest, she released her death grip on me and said, “David’s a friend, and I want to see his show. Can we continue this conversation tomorrow?”

“Um, okay.”

Day Two:

I was following her from a tiny stage where she was leading a seminar over to the main amphitheater where she would be participating in the next performance.

She was still talking about how truthful and sincere she is, and I followed silently. I was getting used to silence around her, and frankly it was better than being asked pointed, invasive questions. But that too got tiresome, so I finally interrupted, “I think you should stop profiting off the LGBT community. Write an open letter. Have your music removed from gay music stores. I first saw your music at a gay music store when I was in high school, and they’re still selling it.”

I was calm, collected and sort of businesslike when I said it, so I really wasn’t prepared for what happened next. At all. Not even after yesterday. By now, we were halfway to the stage, standing in the children’s play area where small kids and parents milled around activity booths.

She looked at me with resignation, sighed, and said, “All right, then, I guess this means we’re going to be enemies.” I blinked a couple times and said something like, “But I don’t feel like you’re my enemy, Michelle.”

You know, because I’m not used to interview subjects -– or anyone, actually -– declaring that we’re mortal enemies. I didn’t have a script for that!

So then she doubled down and compulsively uttered, “No, you’re my enemy, you’re my enemy, you’re my enemy…” I swear to god, she said this approximately 10 times as I struggled to get a word in at all. Even after her bizarre behavior the day before, I hadn’t seen this one coming.

Then we arrived at the amphitheater. She climbed up onto the stage, and I remained standing on the ground, looking up at her. I’m not sure why, but this visual image feels like an important piece of what came next –- maybe because she was sitting up high on the stage and dominant above me, and I was standing below on the ground.

Again with businesslike composure, I asked, “So, what would you say about writing an open letter like I mentioned?” She totally ignored this. Instead, she offered, “I just want you to know that I love you because Jesus loves you. I love you because I am you. I know you.”

By now, super-bright red flags about boundaries were beaming at me, and I finally had to be stern. “Actually, no, you don’t know me at all. We just met.”

Eyes boring into me, she insisted, “I know everything I need to know about you. I used to be angry and trapped in sin exactly like you.”

“Wait, WHAT?”

I stood there in shock when her defensive posture shifted, and then she brushed me off. “Hey, can you hold on a second? I need to talk to the sound guys.” Such sincerity.

I stared at her in disbelief for a few seconds, and then I turned around and walked away. I didn’t bother approaching her again.

by Anonymousreply 20003/20/2013

And it's kind of hard to believe the "apology", when someone actually bothered to post the audio of the offensive part of her concert:

by Anonymousreply 20103/20/2013

"I love me some Jesus!"

by Anonymousreply 20203/20/2013

That "interviewer" is gag-inducing. She should go back to ONTD.

by Anonymousreply 20303/20/2013

According to the audio, here's what she said:

[quote]But, um, I was in a prayer meeting yesterday and you gotta appreciate how scared, how scared, folks on that side of the equation are. I mean, from their vantage point, and I really shouldn't say ‘their,' ‘cause it's mine, too, we are nearly at the end of time and from our vantage point, we're gonna be, uh, I think maybe Chinese water torture is gonna be the means, the method, once Prop 8 gets instated and once preachers are held at gunpoint and forced to marry the homosexuals, I'm pretty sure that that will be the signal for Jesus to come on back. You said you wanted reality. If someone would be so gracious as to tweet out that Michelle Shocked just said from stage, ‘God hates faggots.' Would you do it now?

That's a big mess to unpack, but all I needed to hear was the phrase "from their vantage point, and I really shouldn't say ‘their,' ‘cause it's mine, too," and it all became too clear what she really believes, despite the shitass apology.

by Anonymousreply 20403/20/2013

I'm not shocked.

Oh, wait, yes I am.

by Anonymousreply 20603/20/2013

Can anyone translate the spanish she broke into at one point in her homophobic speech @ R201? At first I thought she might be spontaneously speaking in tongues (that would have been hilarious)!

BTW, thanks for posting that R201, that was very illuminating. Having now heard for myself her "banter" with the audience I know that her "apology" statement is a pack of lies. I wonder how that sits with her KKKristian principles?

From her statement: "And my statement equating repeal of Prop 8 with the coming of the End Times was neither literal nor ironic: it was a description of how some folks – not me – feel about gay marriage."

No, liar, you said it was how YOU feel.

by Anonymousreply 20703/20/2013

The Spanish translates to "There is craziness in my cunt!"

by Anonymousreply 20803/20/2013

anyone know what the Spanish part was about?

by Anonymousreply 20903/20/2013

Are there any online videos of this meltdown/concert? I find it hard to believe no one filmed it and posted it. Practically everyone's got a video camera on their cell phone these days, and this shitshow was dramatic, to say the least.

by Anonymousreply 21003/20/2013

Sounds like she's bipolar and refusing to take her meds because she feels closer to Jeebus without them.

Fuck her. Her music sucks, anyway. And I'm From Anchorage, where you still hear that one song on the radio once a week or so.

by Anonymousreply 21103/21/2013

I don't know about video, R210, but here's audio of the meltdown:

by Anonymousreply 21203/21/2013

the audio is damning and makes her recent attempts at spin a bald-faced lie.

by Anonymousreply 21303/21/2013

The audio must be fake because she said she never said those things.

by Anonymousreply 21403/21/2013

?

by Anonymousreply 21503/21/2013

Who gives a fuck what this cunt-faced bitch and has-bian has to say about anything?

by Anonymousreply 21603/21/2013

What the fuuuuuuuuuuuuck?

Just listened to the audio, what a stupid bitch.

by Anonymousreply 21703/21/2013

If you don't listen to the end, in the last minute before they booted her ass she says very clearly, "Now...they're probably going to tell me I didn't give you people your money's worth tonight...so if you would...put a dollar in the hat...let's pass the hat...for the folksinger...just put a dollar in the hat as it's passed."

OMG!!

by Anonymousreply 21803/21/2013

Yeah, I thought that was insane, too, R218 (on top of all the rest). I think she is genuinely nuts. I think she has been around crazies her whole life of one kind or another.

by Anonymousreply 21903/21/2013

R209 What she said in Spanish was the bible quote : John 3:16 - "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten son, that whosoever believeth in Him shall not perish, but have everlasting life."

by Anonymousreply 22003/21/2013

ok, thanks R220

by Anonymousreply 22103/21/2013

I never knew her to have a girlfriend. Met one of her boyfriends back in the late 90's. Another friend of mine was in her band so I got in free to couple of her shows.

by Anonymousreply 22203/21/2013

Wow the play that this has-been's story is getting is amazing. I had not thought of her in more than two decades since the Anchorage song was big in SF and she toured with Billy Bragg. She's this year's Anita Bryant I guess. Branson awaits her.

by Anonymousreply 22303/21/2013

Michelle, The man behind the curtain who preaches as god really isn't the message you want to listen to.

by Anonymousreply 22403/21/2013

No joke.

by Anonymousreply 22503/21/2013

If you listen to it, there is no way she can walk it back.

She is batshit crazy. And homophobic.

by Anonymousreply 22603/21/2013

The people in the audience laughed.

by Anonymousreply 22703/21/2013

Thank you r199, 200.

People, please get the word out on this fraud. She's a self-righteous pompous looney liar. Leave her broken shit behind.

by Anonymousreply 22803/21/2013

They were shocked.

"They're pulling the plug; I've still got game."

No apology. Insisting her christian "reality" was the truth as they drag her off the stage....

by Anonymousreply 22903/21/2013

I never knew her to have a girlfriend, either.

In fact when I think back I'm not sure how it even got started that she was gy, bi or even LGBT friendly. I guess it was just showing up at all the Mich-fest type shows and the folksy things that garnered her fans in the community. Otherwise, I don't really get it.

by Anonymousreply 23003/21/2013

It's so pathetic at the end where she's asking for $$$$$$$$$ and literally passes a hat!!

by Anonymousreply 23103/21/2013

She's live on the radio right now.

by Anonymousreply 23203/21/2013

Who put her on the radio so I know who to boycott?

by Anonymousreply 23303/21/2013

I am listening live. It's someone who kind of knows her. Nicole Sandler. SHe is not someone you need to boycott. She is being honest and critical of Michelle.

by Anonymousreply 23403/21/2013

Michelle is live-tweeting her as she talks about the story before the interview. Very meta.

by Anonymousreply 23503/21/2013

I heard the audio and it seems to me she was trying to describe people who are part of her prayer congregation but with whose opinions she doesn't agree, so that her audience could become aware of the fear that engulfs some so-called Christians.

Her big mistake, however, was correcting herself when she said "from their vantage point" adding "I should say from my vantage point because I'm one of them" (I took that to mean she couldn't deny she was part of that congregation even if she didn't agree with their homophobia).

Then she went on to say the famous soundbite about twittering that Michelle Shocked said GHF. I took that as her way of saying "OMG I can see it all now: because I'm asking for tolerance towards those who are scared about/don't understand homosexual marriage, I will be branded one of them so you might as well twitter that Michelle said GHF."

But - her execution was dismal and it could have cost her a career if not at least some tour dates.

However, if you listen to the audio and don't take sound bites out of context, you will be able to discern her intent and where she screwed up.

I'm a gay man, a raging liberal Puerto Rican fag with an Ivy League education involved in professional theater and the performing arts for decades. I'm not a Michelle Shocked fan, barely knew who she was. But all it takes is listening to the audio and getting past the obvious hurtful sound bites and the audience's confused, then hot-headed reaction, to figure out what her intent was.

Too bad she performed it awfully and then went into artsy tirades instead of clearing up the point she was trying to make (which she did days later in a press release from her publicist, something that makes the whole thing look even worse, by reading like damage control).

Doesn't help that she's a born-again. She fucked up and now she's fucked.

by Anonymousreply 23603/21/2013

what did she say on the radio show?

by Anonymousreply 23703/21/2013

She hasn't been on live yet; just tweeting back and forth with the host.

by Anonymousreply 23803/21/2013

The radio show is on now and the host has been babbling in anticipation and then going on to other subjects. No MS yet.

by Anonymousreply 23903/21/2013

R236= delusional

She even goes on to say those are HER opinions when people get upset.

by Anonymousreply 24003/21/2013

[quote]Can anyone translate the spanish she broke into at one point in her homophobic speech @ [[R201]]?

In heavily accented, almost unrecognizable Spanish, she quoted the Homily:

"Tanto amó Dios al mundo que dio a su Hijo único, para que todo el que crea en Él no perezca, sino que tenga vida eterna. Porque Dios no ha enviado a su Hijo al mundo para juzgar al mundo, sino para que el mundo se salve por Él. El que cree en Él, no es juzgado"

"For God loved the world so much that he gave his one and only Son, so that everyone who believes in him will not perish but have eternal life. Because God did not send his son to the world to judge it, but to be saved by him. He who believes in Him will not be judged."

(Because it was so difficult to understand her, I went ahead and found the overused Spanish quote in Google, then only found the first sentence in English and translated the second sentence myself. So spare me any corrections...take that up with Bible fanatics, of which I'm not one).

by Anonymousreply 24103/21/2013

I listened to the whole thing too, and I disagree. Especially towards the end when people were leaving, she was INSISTING she was right and they were wrong and it wasn't about explaining the fear and hypocrisy of her brethren, it was saying that was the "truth" (she called it reality) and that 'too bad, the truth hurts.'

by Anonymousreply 24203/21/2013

What a stupid wanchorage

by Anonymousreply 24303/21/2013

If Shocked considers herself an artist and a writer she's certainly not a very good one. Most artists (the good ones) have the ability to make their point and present their message and make their intent clear. At least to smart people who have taken an interest in the artist's work. Stupid people never understand anything.

Shocked does not seem to have that ability. Her message, whatever it is, is muddled and comes off as offensive.

Personally, I don't think Shocked knows what she believes and that's why she can't articulate it to the rest of us. She's a closeted dyke who's been twisted inside out by religion and seems to be currently under her church's influence. She's a left-leaning artist who has chosen to align herself and be influenced by a conservative fundamentalist group of religious zealots. It's all very strange and paradoxical and I don't think she gets it either.

by Anonymousreply 24403/21/2013

okay, now LIVE (after a break) will be michelle shocked.

Link at r232/

by Anonymousreply 24503/21/2013

She says they're her views too. She never gives any indication she's being facetious or satirical, she actually doubles down on the nonsense by quoting bible verses, shouting down her hecklers and claiming she's offering "reality" and "the truth hurts".

And then yesterday she issues that non-apology saying her views on "homosexuality" (nice clinical language) have "not changed one iota", but she never says what those views are or were, never states unequivocal support for sexual minorities, and just continues to spin and obfuscate, without ever taking her words back.

She's a homophobe, plain and simple. Anyone who can't see this is willfully blind, or else shares Shocked's nutty circular logic.

by Anonymousreply 24603/21/2013

So far Michelle isn't answering the phone when Nicole Sandler dials in.

by Anonymousreply 24703/21/2013

....she's not answering the phone, but she IS live-tweeting! weirdo.

by Anonymousreply 24803/21/2013

OK, I will listen to that part again then, r242. At that point I thought it just a reactionary, angry, radical arthouse/poetry cafe type of tirade (I tend to spoof those). But I will certainly listen more carefully to hear exactly what she was responding to.

Far be it from me to defend her and I've always sustained she screwed up royally. But to find something that will sway me against her (and there's nothing more I would like, for she is still a fucking born-again), it needs to be justifiable and not bred from blind anti-"Christian" anger, of which i have plenty to spare already.

by Anonymousreply 24903/21/2013

She is saying she will be there "live" on Twitter. Even though she already agreed to be on the phone.

What a wench.

Now Nicole is saying she will read the "weird" text conversation over the air (that they had last night).

by Anonymousreply 25003/21/2013

it's kind of funny -- she keeps tweeting the host but NOT answering the phone!

by Anonymousreply 25103/21/2013

Now she's mad and tweeting that the dj should stop playing the tape of her at the incident, calling it a "bootleg."

by Anonymousreply 25203/21/2013

Wow, I am enjoying Nicole's comments on this.

by Anonymousreply 25303/21/2013

Why is this striking such a chord with people?

I mean, some washed up 80s singer has a bipolar breakdown on stage and starts rambling crazy religious gobbledygook. It's amusing, yes, but people seem really outraged and hurt by it.

Isn't she just some crazy person? Why is everyone so wounded? Did she pretend to be an ally at some point?

by Anonymousreply 25403/21/2013

She was a LESBIAN 'at some point' r254.

by Anonymousreply 25503/21/2013

She finally picked up the phone.

by Anonymousreply 25603/21/2013

Editor, there's no need for r257's stench.

by Anonymousreply 25803/21/2013

r256 I clicked and she hasn't picked up the phone. Am I on a time delay?

by Anonymousreply 25903/21/2013

She picked up and was on for a couple of minutes but didn't seem to realize she had to turn down her radio to hear...

by Anonymousreply 26003/21/2013

fuck you, r261.

by Anonymousreply 26203/21/2013

[quote]Isn't she just some crazy person? Why is everyone so wounded? Did she pretend to be an ally at some point?

You have to understand what it was like in the late 1980s. When Michelle Shocked came along she seemed extremely cool and very dykey. Left wing activist who alluded to being a lesbian. And some great folk, power to the people kinds of songs. There weren't many like her in those days.

Queers adopted her as one of our own. Her mainstream career faded but we hung on, although in smaller numbers. Yes, we thought she was an ally. A fragile, loopy ally. But an ally.

When she became born again and her homophobia became apparent the red flags went up. But hey! It's Michelle Shocked! Isn't she so quirky? She's still one of us.

And then this latest fiasco happened and it became abundantly clear that she is extremely fucked up and appears to blatantly hate gay people, however she identifies her own sexuality.

So yes, it hurts when someone you once admired said that god hates you.

by Anonymousreply 26503/21/2013

r264, thanks for taking offense to my comment and leaving r257 & r96 untouched.

by Anonymousreply 26603/21/2013

Thanks R265 for explaining her appeal to the young folks!

by Anonymousreply 26703/21/2013

R254, it's not like she was Stacy Q or any other cardboard-cutout pop star. She was far left politically, sang folk music, appealed to the alternative crowd, and looked like a walking definition of the word "dyke". She may not have ever identified as a lesbian, but she appealed to their tastes and had no problem taking their money when lesbians became 99% of her fan base. Add to that her otherwise far left politics (she was arrested protesting with the Occupy movement just last year) and its a bit of a slap in the face to find out she's virulently homophobic.

by Anonymousreply 26803/21/2013

This debacle makes me sad. She used to put on some of the best live shows I ever attended and I saw her many times. I love her music--Arkansas Traveler, Short Sharp Shocked, etc. A punk rock feminist Woody Guthrie. I hope she'll get over her psychotic episode or cult brainwashing or whatever it is, because the sane Michelle has much more fantastic music to make.

by Anonymousreply 26903/21/2013

Has anybody asked her point blank, you have a dykey look (nice smile btw), you seem very pro-woman and against their exploitation (see The Greener Side video), so would it surprise you for people to think you might be gay? And what do you think of Charlize Theron?

by Anonymousreply 27003/21/2013

WRONG, R261. She identified as a lesbian. She SAID she was a lesbian and she would hang out with lesbians after her shows, at which time she would introduce her gf to us.

You don't know what you're talking about.

by Anonymousreply 27103/21/2013

thank you, r271. thus my F-Y to him/her.

by Anonymousreply 27203/21/2013

Did she ever publicly identify as a lesbian?

by Anonymousreply 27303/21/2013

When she was at her peak.

by Anonymousreply 27403/21/2013

Where's the dirt on her family which we were promised yesterday?

by Anonymousreply 27503/21/2013

@r147, hun

by Anonymousreply 27603/21/2013

in the thread, r275.

by Anonymousreply 27703/21/2013

Oh geez, I missed it. Thank you, R276.

The part with the rat poison is very "We Have Always Lived in the Castle" creepy.

by Anonymousreply 27803/21/2013

R265 This is exactly why gays need to quit worshipping straight people and stop with all of this "gay icon" bullshit. Try supporting artists who are actually gay once in awhile.

by Anonymousreply 27903/21/2013

R265 is right-on.

As someone who lived through that period, y'all got it exactly right.

by Anonymousreply 28003/21/2013

[quote] This is exactly why gays need to quit worshipping straight people and stop with all of this "gay icon" bullshit. Try supporting artists who are actually gay once in awhile.

You're really missing the point here. This wasn't a Liza/Cher/Madonna thing. She wasn't a gay icon and we didn't worship her. She was a gay-identified underground, alternative, anarchist artist who we really liked. A right-on sister soldier. Not a diva with a drug habit in a floor length gown.

We thought she WAS gay for a while.

by Anonymousreply 28103/21/2013

so did she.

by Anonymousreply 28203/21/2013

Ho hum, another day, another griftin' low-life folkie bitch drama...

by Anonymousreply 28303/21/2013

shush!

by Anonymousreply 28403/21/2013

Nicole Sandler about this morning:

by Anonymousreply 28503/21/2013

She looks like dog poop.

by Anonymousreply 28603/21/2013

Wait, what? Are you sure you're in the right thread, PP?

by Anonymousreply 28803/21/2013

She's obviously mentally ill. She needs help from a mental health professional.

by Anonymousreply 28903/21/2013

Michelle's Korean cousin.

by Anonymousreply 29003/21/2013

Is R289 talking about Michelle Shocked or R287?

by Anonymousreply 29103/21/2013

She actually did another interview earlier in the week. Take a look at this. It's fucking exhausting to get through, and she mostly rambles on about all kinds of nonsense instead of answering anything directly. It's crystal clear that this woman is a complete fucking nutcase. And the interviewer sucks for indulging her and not really calling her out on her bullshit.

by Anonymousreply 29203/22/2013

She is deluded. Literally.

"Tell me this: You said something was accomplished last night. What was accomplished? And was it the same thing that you were trying to accomplish? Because again, to the outside world, the accomplishment seems to be that you've convinced people that you're a hateful person. And even since your conversion, even since you became born again, you have talked with much more acceptance about homosexuals than what was quoted last night. So, if something was accomplished last night, what was it? And was it what you hoped to accomplish?"

Yes and yes. Last night, the conversation, a very important conversation, a long overdue conversation, a much-needed conversation, a conversation that people's hearts have been breaking to have but didn't have a safe place to have it, started. It just started. And right now, the loudest voices are the ones being expressed, but that's how it always is. The loudest voices come in first. But at some point the timid voices, the heartbroken voices, the quiet voices, the voices that have not been heard are also going to join the conversation. And when they do, there is a going to be a light shining in that darkness, and everyone is going to be lifted, everyone.

by Anonymousreply 29303/22/2013

She sees herself as a savior, spreading "God's word" and hopefully converting people.

by Anonymousreply 29403/22/2013

folk singers are always all about being self-righteous

by Anonymousreply 29503/22/2013

Back in the day, when I was an annoying 17-year-old precocious baby dyke, some time in 1987 I think, I actually asked Michelle Shocked if she liked girls. This was when she was signing her one album that anyone remembers (Texas Campfire Tapes) in the Virgin Megastore in Oxford Street and there were only about three of us in the queue. I can't remember what she said, but she got flustered and said something like she didn't want to talk about that kind of thing.

Other than that, I don't recall her being an out lesbian or identifying as a lesbian. She looked like a dyke and was folkie and was probably "marketed" for the lesbian crowd or feminist crowd, but I don't remember her saying anything specific.

by Anonymousreply 29603/22/2013

Wow, so many posts yet no one has said a word about her race!

by Anonymousreply 29703/22/2013

"After beating the Indigo Girls and Tracy Chapman for Album of the Year at the 1989 New Music Awards, she joked the category should be renamed “They Might Be Lesbians.” In 1990, there was no “they might be” about it. She told the Chicago paper OutLines, “I was with my first woman lover about a year and a half ago. To be honest, the real fear of coming out of the closet, not fear, but the real pressures of coming out of the closet had been if you had certain problems identifying yourself one way or another.” She went on to balk at the full-on lesbian label, saying, “I think, if this is any sense a ‘coming out’ on my part, it’s that I would like a much broader definition for myself.”

by Anonymousreply 29803/22/2013

[quote] She was THOUGHT to be a lesbian.

She was for a time either lesbian or bisexual.

She may not have ever acknowledged it publicly per se, but she was "out" in SF for several years.

People I know who lived there say she was always with a girlfriend and it was super, mega, abundantly clear (with PDA's and even a semi-public fingerbanging on one occasion) what was going on.

It may have been experimentation, a phase, whatever....and she may have been an ally at other times before this bizarre turn. But she definitely had at least one foot in "our" camp, at least for a time.

by Anonymousreply 29903/22/2013

I'm beginning to think that on top of her mental health issues she also has a MASSIVE ego. Does she honestly believe that her tirade began a conversation that society has ever had before? And that she, and only she, knows about truth and reality?

Only Michelle Shocked can speak for God? The bitch is delerious.

People have been dumping on queers for centuries. She's not the first.

by Anonymousreply 30003/22/2013

Oh, and she's obviously NOT interested in having a real conversation about this. She wants to rant at a captive audience and then run away (but not before asking for money). When challenged about it all she can manage are bizarre tweets and one-liners.

by Anonymousreply 30103/22/2013

That's it, R301.

by Anonymousreply 30203/22/2013

Hate her.

by Anonymousreply 30303/22/2013

No she doesn't R304. Get a goddamned grip.

She is mentally ill. If no one responded to her she'd go away. It's sad, but not anything to hate. That makes you as ill as she is.

by Anonymousreply 30503/22/2013

I hope she gets her act together and stops hating gay people for no reason.

by Anonymousreply 30603/22/2013

Sorry, 305, but 304 is correct. Public execution for scum like this is the best option.

Cheers.

by Anonymousreply 30703/22/2013

Such hate in the last few posts I'm reminded of the loon upthread who claimed the best outcome would be if she killed herself. Actually, the best outcome would be if she came to her senses, issued a sincere (and comprehensible) apology and then got the help she needs.

She is clearly mentally ill. Calling for her execution makes you as nutty as her, if not moreso. At least she's not calling for anyone to be put to death.

by Anonymousreply 30803/22/2013

R308, you're only saying this because she's a woman.

If this were a Republican male saying these things, you wouldn't care what people were saying about him.

by Anonymousreply 30903/22/2013

r308, creatures liked Shocked are like rabid dogs that are beyond help.

I guess we could compromise and have her organs donated to people who actually deserve them. Cheers.

by Anonymousreply 31003/22/2013

[quote]creatures liked Shocked are like rabid dogs that are beyond help.

So are you, hon. Please seek treatment.

by Anonymousreply 31103/22/2013

She needs serious medication adjustment is what she needs.

And so does r304.

by Anonymousreply 31203/22/2013

I just pray that the ghosts of thousands of gay teens who killed themselves after hearing such hateful statements from people like Michelle Shocked come and haunt her until she cannot take it anymore and she flings herself off of a freeway overpass.

by Anonymousreply 31303/22/2013

r304 thinks Colorado movie theater murderers are sexy. Surprised?

by Anonymousreply 31403/22/2013

[quote] Cheers.

You're a demented, damaged fuckwit. Nothing "cheery" about it.

She can have our anger, our rage and even our hate, but calling for someone's death is an ugly, ugly thing.

by Anonymousreply 31503/22/2013

Hook her up to a vaginal wetness monitoring machine. Then show her photos of naked men and women. Record the moisture-producing results and make them public.

by Anonymousreply 31603/22/2013

I agree she's pretty horrible at this point, but idiots are still allowed to be idiots without being killed.

by Anonymousreply 31803/22/2013

Just more evidence that homophobic = mentally ill.

by Anonymousreply 31903/22/2013

Aaaaaannnnddd, this thread is over.

Taken over, once again, by the unhinged and deranged who just want to troll each other.

by Anonymousreply 32103/22/2013

What an odd post, r321, coming as it does after an excellent and thoughtful post that has nothing to do with trolling anyone.

by Anonymousreply 32203/22/2013

?

by Anonymousreply 32303/22/2013

If she were a male Republican you'd all want to eat her nuts for lunch.

by Anonymousreply 32403/22/2013

Only if he was hot.

by Anonymousreply 32503/22/2013

Not in a million years, r324.

by Anonymousreply 32603/22/2013

Michelle Shocked is quite obviously fucked in the head, but many of you in the latter part of this thread are quite obviously just plain stupid. Are you not aware that schizophrenics often have delusions of grandeur, persecution complexes, and a fervor for far-out religious whackery?

Quite a piece of work she is. All kinds of confusion and self-loathing going on there, mixed with fundie brainwashing AND severe mental illness. She's not coherent. Did you fuckers read the interviews? Anybody who feels genuinely hurt by Michelle Shocked's meltdown is a moron. There's no getting around it.

by Anonymousreply 32703/22/2013

You underestimate the influence of where she comes from R327. She comes from an area which offered violence to gays when she was young. For her to return to that notion is not a plea for attention, still less a persecution mania about today's lesbians, but an effort to rebond with her childhood abusers. Plus she's too old for the level of theatrical narcissism you seem to want to give her.

by Anonymousreply 32803/22/2013

Her Pentecostal church used her, brainwashed a mentally ill person with all kinds of hangups about her sexuality into spewing that bigoted garbage and pushed her under the bus afterwards. Her words shouldn't be given a free pass and she should suffer consequences for them (career death, for example) but using a paranoid schizophrenic person as a mouthpiece for proselytizing and spreading bigotry is beyond vile.

by Anonymousreply 32903/22/2013

Another idiot at R328. Sorry, whoever you are, but I am not trying to give her credit, or suggest that her 'theatrical narcissism' is excusable or even an excuse. I don't think she's being theatrically narcissistic in the sense that you mean it, and I don't think she's looking for attention. I think she is severely mentally ill. Her behavior at the show in SF is indicative of that, and her subsequent interview with Rob Trucks for Spin.com further illustrates her dissociation from reality. An 'effort to rebond with her abusers'? She's out of her fucking mind. None of this shit she's saying is coming from a rational mind. Are you one of the ones calling for her death?

By the way, I'm an atheist fag and have never been a fan of Michelle Shocked.

by Anonymousreply 33003/22/2013

Just listened to the weird 'interview' she did with Nicole Sandler and the original event audio. I've had a couple relatives with paranoid and schizophrenic diagnosis over the years, and this seems like very familiar ground. Delusional, sure...but it's a major break from reality in progress. She's at major risk of (far worse) self-harm, I'd venture.

Sorry to the Sandler fans here, she can be a good interviewer. She let her frustration with Shocked put her into a very unempathetic place, and that's too bad. Cringeworthy.

by Anonymousreply 33103/22/2013

"Plus she's too old for the level of theatrical narcissism you seem to want to give her."

When you're a psycho, you're |"never too old for narcissism" ("theatrical" or generic narcissism).

by Anonymousreply 33303/22/2013

It's kind of similar to the Michelle Bachmann clip. Bachmann says Obama is spending millions on a life of luxury. Then when she is asked about this comment by a reporter, she pretends she wants to talk about Bengazi and runs away.

Michelle Shocked says God Hates Fags and says that this is an uncomfortable truth, then when asked about it, avoids the question and talks about Occupy, and avoids an interview.

by Anonymousreply 33403/22/2013

GOD: "Fags, hate Michelle Shocked."

by Anonymousreply 33503/22/2013

R147 here. A few of her siblings have posted on FB about this, one in particular who I know well. He isn't being too much of an asshole, but saying "People don't understand the full story, they never will." And "We all just want her to come home and sit in the rocking chair on the front porch and pick and play."

He followed this up by saying, "She is not now and she never HAS been a homosexual."

by Anonymousreply 33603/22/2013

Sometimes I think homosexuality is only understood in four or five cities in the world. And never in smaller cities, towns or rural areas.

by Anonymousreply 33703/22/2013

God hates people that hate homosexuals. Guaranteed.

by Anonymousreply 33803/22/2013

This guy wrote a great essay about an openly gay comedian that included this line:

"This week a has-been folk singer claimed that God hates gay people, and we've rewarded her with more attention than she's gotten in the last 20 years put together."

Ain't that the fuckin' truth.

by Anonymousreply 34003/22/2013

Thanks for sharing, R336.

by Anonymousreply 34103/22/2013

Her brother sounds like an ass. If he were gay friendly he would have said Michelle is not gay.

by Anonymousreply 34203/23/2013

[quote] "She is not now and she never HAS been a homosexual."

I feel better now that her brother has vehemently denied her having committed quite an abominable crime or contracted such a tragic disease

by Anonymousreply 34303/23/2013

r336, he sounds like a douche.

by Anonymousreply 34403/23/2013

Well, we know where her deep-seated homophobia came from.

Why couldn't she break free of her family? She had a few years of success and was surrounded by left-leaning, predominantly gay fans, as well as fellow artists and musicians who also skew left. She had opportunities and experiences that many kids from far worse backgrounds never get, yet many are still able to break free of their homophobic upbringing and live their lives happily gay.

Why couldn't she do the same?

by Anonymousreply 34503/23/2013

Hmmm

by Anonymousreply 34603/23/2013

Now she says she's going to show up at the canceled shows.

Friday afternoon, the beleaguered singer tweeted that she would be appearing at Saturday night at McCabe’s in Santa Monica for a “speaking engagement” on the subject of “Effects of Gay-Bashing on the L.A. Mayoral Race.”

This came as news to the club -- and not good news.

“She is not welcome at McCabe’s,” said the venue’s angry concert director, Lincoln Myerson, who had just learned about Shocked’s vow -- or threat -- to show up after he got calls regarding the singer’s mysterious tweet.

McCabe's had not heard from Shocked since they announced her show's cancelation. Neither had any of the other 10 venues which canceled.

by Anonymousreply 34703/23/2013

Asked by The Hollywood Reporter via Twitter if she intended to make her "appearance" some sort of guerrilla action, Shocked, who was arrested two years ago at an Occupy protest, responded: "OK, OCCU-PIE!!" She also retweeted a fan who said: "You mean like on the sidewalk in front of @McCabesGuitar? It doesn't get much more punk rock than that. I'm there."

by Anonymousreply 34803/23/2013

I predict a publicly staged suicide live from Twitter in her future.

by Anonymousreply 34903/23/2013

[quote]Why couldn't she do the same?

Perhaps her paranoid schizoprenia had something to do with it.

by Anonymousreply 35003/23/2013

Why are you all so anguished about the ravings of a paranoid schizophrenic?

My partner's brother is a paranoid schizophrenic. He talks shit, too. Water off our backs.

She shouldn't be performing and anyone who paid to see her is an idiot. She's been sick for a long time.

by Anonymousreply 35103/23/2013

Shit's getting fucked up. Getting high on burning bridges

by Anonymousreply 35203/23/2013

Well, MY shit's STILL fucked up, that's for sure.

by Anonymousreply 35303/23/2013

[r332] and [r339]: you sound like you're off your meds, too.

by Anonymousreply 35403/23/2013

...so DID she show up at the canceled LA gig last night?

by Anonymousreply 35503/24/2013

Maybe she could start playing her shitty songs at church picnics.

by Anonymousreply 35603/24/2013

What exactly is the woman in the audience saying? Hard to understand.

by Anonymousreply 35703/24/2013

Her dad (stepfather who raised her) on a mutual friend's FB page today:

"She did support some controversial things after college. She has never been homosexual. Knowing that is the difference between fan and FAMILY. We love her bunches."

by Anonymousreply 35803/24/2013

McCabe's was pretty pissed at the prospect of Shocked showing up at the cancelled gig, R355, and there's nothing online about what happened. Perhaps she decided against it.

by Anonymousreply 35903/24/2013

According to rednecks like her family a person is either one of two things, A ) homosexual, or B) Homophobic.

In their imbecilic backward mind a person cannot be a pro-gay heterosexual.

by Anonymousreply 36003/24/2013

but r360 they lover her bunches and that's all that matters.

by Anonymousreply 36103/24/2013

no

by Anonymousreply 36203/26/2013

yes.

by Anonymousreply 36303/26/2013

I agree, R360 and R361. Ugh!

by Anonymousreply 36403/26/2013

SANTA CRUZ, Calif. — Alternative folk and rock singer Michelle Shocked is staging a sit-in outside one of several nightclubs that canceled her show after she made an anti-gay slur.

Shocked's show scheduled for Thursday evening at Moe's Alley in Santa Cruz had been canceled, along with several others, after the singer's slur at a San Francisco concert more than a week ago.

She appeared outside Moe's Alley wearing tape across her mouth that read "Silenced By Fear."

When asked a question, Shocked shook her head vigorously and pointed to a sign inviting people to pick up a Sharpie marker and write on the white disposable safety suit she was wearing.

Bands Beaver Fever and Frootie Flavors were warming up, and club owner Bill Welch said the evening would be about playing music and celebrating diversity.

by Anonymousreply 36503/28/2013

If God hates FUGS, she's pretty fucked. Can't pray that face away.

She seems in the middle of a paranoid episode in the recording from that night. And in the radio interview a few days later she is obsessed with the ten second delay from microphone to computer speaker. Paranoid schizophrenic with some good old fashioned self loathing. Fuck the people at that church she attends for loading her up with this hateful nonsense. They're taking advantage of a high profile lunatic, in my opinion.

by Anonymousreply 36603/28/2013

[quote]When asked a question, Shocked shook her head vigorously and pointed to a sign inviting people to pick up a Sharpie marker and write on the white disposable safety suit she was wearing.

Oh jeez, she's turned into Yoko Ono.

by Anonymousreply 36703/28/2013

I will bully and annoy them into liking me!

by Anonymousreply 36803/28/2013

Now this is just bizarre...

by Anonymousreply 36903/29/2013

r369, thanks for the link. Wow, she's unhinged. She's clearly mentally disturbed and desperate for attention.

by Anonymousreply 37003/29/2013

And yet there's something special and intriguing about her...

by Anonymousreply 37103/29/2013

What an attention whore!

by Anonymousreply 37203/29/2013

She's out of her mind and needs to be institutionalized/

by Anonymousreply 37303/29/2013

Christ

by Anonymousreply 37403/29/2013

Someone should get her the help she needs. She is clearly mentally ill. She's delusional.

by Anonymousreply 37503/29/2013

Face covered and mouth taped shut, alternative folk and rock singer Michelle Shocked staged a sit in outside a Santa Cruz nightclub that canceled her show because she made an anti-gay slur at a San Francisco club earlier this month.

The tape across her mouth said "Silenced By Fear." When asked a question, Shocked shook her head vigorously and strummed her guitar while seated on the ground outside popular music venue Moe's Alley. She pointed to a sign inviting people to pick up a Sharpie marker and write on the white disposable safety suit she was wearing.

by Anonymousreply 37603/29/2013

I hope someone wrote on here back " I'M A DIRTY CUNT!!! "

by Anonymousreply 37703/29/2013

R376, I'd like you to meet R365.

by Anonymousreply 37803/29/2013

[bold]Michelle Shocked Shows Up At Canceled Concert With Mouth Taped Shut: ‘Silenced By Fear’[/bold]

Alternative folk singer Michelle Shocked is back, apparently, having showed up at her canceled concert at Moe’s Alley in Santa Cruz, California, wearing an odd costume that included tape across her mouth with the words “silenced by fear” across it.

by Anonymousreply 37903/29/2013

More like silenced by her own hate.

by Anonymousreply 38003/29/2013

For a gay basher, she sure is a drama-queen...

by Anonymousreply 38103/29/2013

Why worry about something hating you that doesn't exist?

by Anonymousreply 38203/29/2013

My name is Celestia // I live on the second floor

Last week I said I hated all fags // Because I'm a attention whore!

by Anonymousreply 38303/29/2013

This is now getting just sad. Clearly there is something wrong with her. I really hope she can get the help she needs.

by Anonymousreply 38403/29/2013

Well she's certainly behaving like a fundamentalist right-winger: claiming that SHE's being persecuted by the people she attacks.

by Anonymousreply 38503/29/2013

What a dumb twat. If she is being silenced by fear or hatred or whatever, why is she making people write things? She's the one who is silenced, not them..idiot.

by Anonymousreply 38603/31/2013

Her fucking dumb sign should read "deafened by fear" then the writing shit would make sense.

by Anonymousreply 38703/31/2013

CUNT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 38803/31/2013

This cunt needs to be euthanized asap.

by Anonymousreply 38903/31/2013

I think deep down she's thrilled by the global backlash. After all, this is the first time anyone has been discussing her since 1990.

by Anonymousreply 39003/31/2013

Who the fuck is she? Even I don't know.

by Anonymousreply 39103/31/2013

Face covered and mouth taped shut = massive improvement

by Anonymousreply 39203/31/2013

Anyone catch her Piers Morgan interview tonight?

by Anonymousreply 39304/02/2013

Another train wreck of an interview. Judge for yourself:

by Anonymousreply 39404/02/2013

She gave the audience truth, but then they wanted reality so she switched to that?!!?? But the audience just wasn't ready for reality??!!!? WTF?

Why doesn't anyone ask her to explain the difference between truth and reality?

She's so fucked up that it would be amazing to watch her try to explain the difference. I think the question would lead to a serious on air meltdown.

by Anonymousreply 39504/02/2013

Guess that settles that.

by Anonymousreply 39604/02/2013

Yes R393. She kept yammering on and on. Piers was noticeably annoyed with her at the end and basically cut her off because she wouldn't shut up. I will say that she was more coherent than her previous attempts at damage control. She sorta said that she doesn't condemn gays but she doesn't condemn fundies either or some such nonsense. Oh and she denies ever having lived her life as a lesbian. So she's a fucking liar.

by Anonymousreply 39704/02/2013

Yep, R397. That bullshit about her manager hitting on her, and then presenting her as a lesbian musician when she rebuffed his advances, was such an obvious lie. It pretty much makes it official that her biggest problem is self loathing. To create such an elaborate and clearly false story to explain away her lesbianism is just fucked. Schizophrenic lesbians should not become born again Christians.

by Anonymousreply 39804/02/2013

Leave it to Piers Morgan to exploit an obviously troubled woman. Doesn't really matter what Shocked says if she's suffering under a delusion. I hope she gets the help she needs. Mental illness is a bitch.

by Anonymousreply 39904/02/2013

What is her history? Maybe she does suffer from mental illness to behave this way.

by Anonymousreply 40004/02/2013

I've some around to agreeing with you, R399, though I am more pissed off at the people in her church. I think they have exploited a relatively high profile, mentally ill person. There is something very "I was molested" about her, too. Really sad. I honestly don't think she knows how to articulate the random and contradictory thoughts that bounce around in that head. Truth vs. reality? Classic schizo doublespeak.

by Anonymousreply 40204/02/2013

But very soon Prop 69 will be the law of the land and you will be forced by gunpoint to touch cunt, R401. Cunt that you could never possibly understand. White cunt! And then someone who keeps up with the news on earth will gently tap Jesus on the shoulder and say, "Well, it's time."

by Anonymousreply 40304/02/2013

So are you representing truth or reality, R404?

by Anonymousreply 40504/02/2013

I don't understand r401/r404's rants. How is this about race?

by Anonymousreply 40704/02/2013

I have a feeling that someone from her church is posting, R407.

by Anonymousreply 40804/02/2013

R2 -- before hitting WHAT big?

by Anonymousreply 40904/02/2013

Serious question, R110. Are you on angel dust?

by Anonymousreply 41104/02/2013

She has a terrible nose job

by Anonymousreply 41204/02/2013

But Michelle is white. WTF?

by Anonymousreply 41304/02/2013

White is black. Gay is straight. And angel dust rules!

by Anonymousreply 41404/02/2013

Over 400 posts for this fugly cunt who barely made a blip on the radar in the late 80s?

by Anonymousreply 41504/02/2013

It was all part of God's great plan from the very beginning, r415.

by Anonymousreply 41604/02/2013

I caught part of the interview. She also said something about tape vs. live, and Piers asked her why that mattered. She sounds schizo to me, with all the worrying about things like that. Like there's some conspiracy. And she was annoying with the truth vs. reality b.s. She didn't want to give a simple answer. And then she says she wants to be clear, because if he (Piers) was going to have a "poet" on, she should at least be able to clarify her position. She tries to speak in riddles, and it comes out like word salad.

by Anonymousreply 41704/02/2013

She was just on one of the A.M. talk shows (maybe CNN?) denying that she is a homophobe and coming out in support of marriage equality. I got the impression she says whatever the audience wants to hear.

All this fuss over a has-been singer with one hit. That hit anchored looong ago and wasn't very good to begin with.

by Anonymousreply 41804/02/2013

damn

by Anonymousreply 41904/02/2013

R401/410 sounds like s/he could be a member of Shocked's "predominantly black" fundamentalist church.

by Anonymousreply 42004/02/2013

Yep R420. Agreed.

by Anonymousreply 42104/02/2013

r410 wipes back to front.

by Anonymousreply 42204/02/2013

I still feel sorry for her. She's insane. I don't know how 'cunty' she is. I mean, I've been close with a schizoaffective bipolar train wreck of a young woman before -- it was not fun.

I don't think she has anything against gay people. She's just truly out of her mind, and a closeted bi/lesbian, and the religious beliefs she clings to (as the insane often like to do) are a huge part of the problem.

Those of you calling her FUG and wishing she'd die are knee-jerk simpletons who can't handle complexity.

by Anonymousreply 42304/03/2013

Just watched the Piers Morgan interview. She still could have been clearer -- again, mental illness takes the reins -- but I believe she was genuine and I wish Morgan would have been more patient with her at the end.

I do think I get what she means about 'truth' vs. 'reality'. Reality is the homophobia in her church. "How are you liking reality so far? It pretty much sucks, doesn't it?"

by Anonymousreply 42404/03/2013

No r424, you are reading her through too-kind eyes and ears. She meant the reality that we are going to burn in hell sucks.

by Anonymousreply 42504/03/2013

"I'm waving goodbye to censorship and blacklisting just by typing this message to you, Alexandra. I can go on all night about 'reminders' because I have a gig to reclaim on April 24 at Palms Playhouse in Winters CA. What part of 'other homophobic celebrities' did you not understand? I'm not homophobic, and I sure aint a celebrity. I'm roadkill in Big Data's war on content creators but I've got a song in my heart & I'm still singing. Keep your fascist views to yourself. I'm kicking out the jambs."

- Michelle Shocked, responding to comments at the YouTube clip of her appearance on CNN

by Anonymousreply 42604/03/2013

I wish people would (re)post her comments about being a lesbian every chance they can.

by Anonymousreply 42704/03/2013

Really bad nose job!

by Anonymousreply 42804/03/2013

As she keeps saying on the Youtube comments:

NOSE CANCER!!

by Anonymousreply 42904/03/2013
Need more help? Click Here.