Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Hillary Clinton announces support for gay marriage

WASHINGTON (AP) — Former Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton announced her support for gay marriage Monday, putting her in line with other potential Democratic presidential candidates on a social issue that is rapidly gaining public approval.

Clinton made the announcement in an online video released Monday morning by the gay rights advocacy group Human Rights Campaign. She says in the six-minute video that gays and lesbians are "full and equal citizens and deserve the rights of citizenship."

"That includes marriage," she says, adding that she backs gay marriage both "personally and as a matter of policy and law."

Clinton's announcement is certain to further fuel the already rampant speculation that she is considering another run for president in 2016. Other possible Democratic contenders — including Vice President Joe Biden, New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo and Maryland Gov. Martin O'Malley — all back the right of same-sex couples to marry.

Human Rights Campaign President Chad Griffin said Monday that it will be "very difficult for any ultimate nominee, Republican or Democrat, to be against marriage equality" in the 2016 election.

Polls show that public opinion on gay marriage has shifted perhaps more rapidly than on any other major issue in recent times. In Gallup polling last November, 53 percent of adult Americans said same-sex marriages should be granted the same status as traditional marriages, while 46 percent felt they should not be valid.

In 1996, when Gallup first asked about gay marriages, 27 percent felt they should be valid.

The shift among the major political parties has been equally swift. During the 2008 presidential campaign, Clinton and rival Barack Obama both backed civil unions for gay couples, but not same-sex marriage. In the lead-up to the 2012 election, Obama announced his support for gay marriage and Democrats backed the right of same-sex couples to wed in their party's official platform.

The GOP officially opposes gay marriage, though several high profile Republicans have publicly backed the right of same-sex couples to wed. On Friday, Ohio Sen. Rob Portman became the first Republican senator to announce his support for gay marriage, saying he had a change of heart after learning that his son is gay.

More than 100 Republicans also submitted a "friend of the court" brief to the Supreme Court asking the justices to overturn California's ban on same-sex marriage. The court will hear oral arguments on California's Proposition 8 measure next week.

Justices will also hear arguments in a related case concerning the constitutionality of a provision in the Defense of Marriage Act, which defines marriage as between one man and one woman. President Bill Clinton signed the act into law in 1996, but said earlier this month that he now believes it is unconstitutional and should be overturned.

Despite holding back in supporting same-sex marriage, Hillary Clinton was a strong support of gay rights, both in the U.S. and abroad, during her tenure at the State Department. Under her watch, the U.S. government made it official policy to promote gay rights around the world.

She also spoke positively of the New York State Legislature's approval of a same-sex marriage law in 2011 but stopped short of endorsing the measure.

Clinton links her decision to back gay marriage to both her personal and professional experiences. She speaks about her daughter Chelsea's wedding, saying that to deny the opportunity to marry to anyone's daughter or son on the basis on sexual orientation "is to deny them the chance to live up to their own God-given potential."

She also said her conversations as secretary of state with everyone from foreign leaders to a young Tunisian shaped her decision to back the right of same-sex couples to wed.

by Anonymousreply 6803/25/2013

As I have said many times on many threads- she and her husband have been affirmative for many years on this issue, and ditto Obama (he was on record as being for as a Senator) but all were not politically for reasons that should be obvious (getting elected.) It is no coincidence that Bill was the first to "come out". He was for it in 1995 when he signed the DOMA in a huge political fight inwhich he had to "compromise" with that nasty Act which in private embittered him.

Many (not so good) historians have made the case that Lincoln was not anti slavery for most of his political career mistaking public hedging and hair-splitting politics of the time for his real beliefs, which of course he acted on wholly when he thought the time was ripe. He did look at other solutions as well- some of them hair-brained (transferring blacks to another land)- that have been heavily criticized- probably appropriately but understandable in the light of times and the view of all Americans in the South and the North that black slaves were the equivalent of a horse. If Lincoln had let it be known his real thoughts on slavery in 1860, he would not have become President. I believe if Obama had let his real feelings on gay marriage be known, and Hillary as well, in 2008, the Republicans may have gotten the White House.

Anyway, Hillary has made her announcement when it can have the most clout at this juncture, when her approval ratings are their highest and when the real push for gay marriage rights are about to be tested by the Supreme Court.

by Anonymousreply 103/18/2013

Her message also sounded like a jumping off point for a 2016 run. The part about taking care of home first to the lead in the world.

Good. She will make a great president.

by Anonymousreply 203/18/2013

I suppose gay marriage is the new black, but who cares how it happens nationally as long as it happens.

by Anonymousreply 603/18/2013

I love Hillary, but she had no reason to wait this long. R3 is, in a way, right.

by Anonymousreply 703/18/2013

Was she eating Donna Shalela's pussy during the announcement?

by Anonymousreply 803/18/2013

I'm more interested in her actions, such as when she extended full benefits to partners of State Department employees.

by Anonymousreply 903/18/2013

You are an ass, r12.

by Anonymousreply 1303/18/2013

R10, you probably should think a little about what you just said. Among other things HRC has been traveling the globe for 4 years promotiong gay rights in nations where homosexuals are put to death for their sexuality and woman cower in their homes due to theocratic gov't. Oh and she did so with a full security detail around her.

Her statement is a very carefully calculated (calculated over time for the greatest effect to assure your rights for the longer term, meaning forever) to a achieve a permanent change. Now well meaning and intelligent people can disagree over her timing, as do historian over Lincoln's timing or intelligent discussion over all progressive political change by politicians. It never happens suddenly, always incrementally.

But your statement is well, just so clueless as to the reality of her life and her work both recent and for the past 40 years (she was an attorney for the Watergate prosecution team and life long advocate for children's health among other things.)

Ignorance is bliss I guess.

by Anonymousreply 1403/18/2013

Maybe the plot is to talk about it so much that the phobes just relent to shut down the dialogue?

Because even I'm sick of hearing about it. Is this the foremost issue in U.S. today? Certainly sounds like it. I can't believe the press that this topic gets, which pertains to such a miniscule minority of the U.S. population: gays who want to marry.

by Anonymousreply 1503/18/2013

[quote]I'm more interested in her actions, such as when she extended full benefits to partners of State Department employees.

Precisely. She put down the money before she opened her mouth, which is unusual for a politician.

And as Secretary of State, her role is foreign, not domestic policy. It would be odd for someone in her role to announce that. She's just left the SoS position after a hellacious six months filled with Benghazi BS, problems in Egypt, accusations from the Republicans, and a health crisis.

by Anonymousreply 1603/18/2013

Whatever the reason was that she waited so long, she doesn't get credit for "privately" supporting gay marriage. Until you support it publicly, it's meaningless. Some people even tried to claim Bush privately supported gay marriage. Hillary's announcement comes years after Bill announced support, and it is too late for her to be lauded for it. But better late than never, of course.

by Anonymousreply 1703/18/2013

[quote] Among other things HRC has been traveling the globe for 4 years promotiong gay rights in nations where homosexuals are put to death for their sexuality and woman cower in their homes due to theocratic gov't. Oh and she did so with a full security detail around her.

Exactly. Thanks.

She'll make a grand president and I for one am looking forward to it.

by Anonymousreply 1803/18/2013

R17, HRC is not looking for "credit". She is looking to make a difference, affect a desired outcome. Like all effective politicians, as I have stated above, she tries acts when it is strategically right. And you can disagree with her timing. I have always known she is for Federal same sex marriage rights privately- but like many other progressive politicians, she has to be careful so that she remains in office. As Sec of State she is informally forbidden on making domestic policy statements. She would not last long in that postion if she did! (There are a few exception in history, but almost none from the 20th Century on).

The Supreme Court is about to hear two cases on the matter, and she just stepped down as Sec of State. Coincidence that she makes her statement now? Not at all. It is designed to leverage the Supreme Court on the crest of a swell in public opinion of the issue of rights for same sex couples. They are pretty much now viewed as equal to women's rights and other minority rights.

Even if she never runs again for public office, she knows her opinion at this time will make a difference. This is also in my view evidence that she is not done with her political career. Good!

by Anonymousreply 1903/18/2013

amen, charlie. agree with you on this 100%.

by Anonymousreply 2003/18/2013

I think as Secretary of State she felt she had to keep her own opinions out of the media but now that she has stepped down perhaps she is planning to bring her views more in line with those of the Democratic Party's official position as a way of getting ready for 2016.

by Anonymousreply 2103/18/2013

And one other thing: why would she have felt compelled to keep her mouth shut as Secretary of State when the President and Vice President have been open, honest, and vocal about their support of gay marriage? As a matter of fact, the benefits for gays and lesbians at DoD are far more generous than those at State.

by Anonymousreply 2303/18/2013

R23, the Secretary of State is supposed to remain impartial on domestic political issues. For example, the SOS isn't even allowed to attend the Presidential conventions, which is why Hillary couldn't go to the DNC last year.

by Anonymousreply 2403/18/2013

She came out in favor of gay marriage back when she was running in 2008. I remember her supporting it at the gay issues forum that LOGO TV did at the time.

by Anonymousreply 2503/18/2013

I remember years ago reading a column (in the Atlantic?) during Obama's first term where the author expressed incredulity that Obama was truly against gay marriage personally, given the social circle that he and Michelle inhabited and the near universal acceptance of gay marriage among that universe of liberal intellectuals.

It was clear that Obama's public position was based on politically expediency instead. The same can be said of Hillary (and Bill) Clinton.

Of course I wish Obama and Clinton could be leading the charge for equality rather than playing catch-up. but that is just the way politics works in this country.

by Anonymousreply 2603/18/2013

R25 = wrong

by Anonymousreply 2703/18/2013

Hillary has been a supporter of gay marriage and all rights for years.

by Anonymousreply 2803/18/2013

didn't she already give a big pro-gay rights speech at the UN?

by Anonymousreply 2903/18/2013

"Charlie, sadly, can't be trusted when it comes to HRC. He's often bragged about meeting her at if that makes them close, personal friends. He totally ignores the fact that what she says to donors isn't what she told the fucking country when she was running for president."

What does it mean I (sadly) cannot be trusted when it comes to HRC?? Please make me aware of how I have ever said that shaking her hand at a fund raiser makes us close. Do you suppose I believe that R22? I do know someone very well in organized Democratic politics, who is very close to her. He is the one who has told me of her private opinions- and her husbands and the current President's- and others. By the way these private positions are not so unknown in DC. But then anyone who seriously believes that any middle to left Democrat elected to office in the last 10 years is not for Federal same sex marriage rights privately if not publically- does not know politics in 2013.

Do you think R22 I say these things to aggrandize myself? Think again. Frankly, I don't think you think very much.

Good for Hillary. Far as I can tell, she will make a great President if she runs in 2016 and I will support as best I can at that time.

by Anonymousreply 3003/18/2013

It's so pathetic to read statements (or just puerile insults) by people who aren't smart enough to fight the real enemy.

We can wish politicians were more vocal earlier, but there are a lot of people on here with selective amnesia when it comes to Bill Clinton. He attempted to make gay rights policies his first move in power, and misjudged the force of the hatred that he'd run into. I don't believe he ever thought DOMA or DADT were good laws, or that they were his aim. I think a lot of politicians (and their handlers) decided then that it wasn't something they could support and still win elections.

But keep firing at the people who are loudly and publicly on our side (however late to the battle). That's smart.

by Anonymousreply 3103/18/2013

Bill Clinton has to be given credit for running on a platform to end the ban on gays in the military in his first election in 1992.

by Anonymousreply 3203/18/2013

[quote]Whatever the reason was that she waited so long

Whatever the reason? I think we all know that in 2008 it would have been dangerous if not deadly for a presidential candidate looking to count close electoral votes to have come out in favor of same-sex marriage. (See, e.g., Obama and anyone else with a serious chance of election "way back in those days")

In the years since then, as others have pointed out, Clinton has been our champion at the State Department. And an ally in all ways. Getting out in front of the president would have been improper and seen as too political; and may well benefit from Obama's support if she runs for president herself.

Years ago when Hillary was running for re-election for Senate from my home state and later when she was running for president, I would post here saying things like "who would you rather have making decisions about gay rights?" Because we have always known she was on our side.

I respect her immensely, and a big part of me absolutely adores her. She has carried herself almost immaculately and certainly impressively since being the wronged-woman First Lady: as Senate candidate, Senator, re-elected Senator by huge margin, Presidential candidate, gracious losing candidate, and powerfully, as Secretary of State. Who else could have pulled that off?

Go Hillary!

by Anonymousreply 3303/18/2013

As recently as last year, Hillary reaffirmed her position AGAINST gay marriage. Meanwhile, John Kerry voted against DOMA and became the first Secretary of State to be on the record as supporting gay marriage. I have a lot of respect and admiration for the Clintons, but it's bullshit that she waited so long to gain a conscience on a matter of basic equality.

by Anonymousreply 3403/18/2013

"Hillary's announcement comes years after Bill announced support"

Um, NO. Bill never supported gay marriage until last week, nitwit.

by Anonymousreply 3503/18/2013

Not true, R35 - Bill Clinton came out in support of gay marriage a couple of years ago, before Barack Obama did.

You're confusing his recent editorial urging the Supreme Court to overturn DOMA with his already existing support of gay marriage.

by Anonymousreply 3603/18/2013

R34, Obama waited four years, yet you don't even mention that.. why? You bash Hilary when Obama did basically the exact same thing.

by Anonymousreply 3703/18/2013

Hillary, while Secretary of State, could not come out with a statement of support. The Secretary of State does not comment on ANY domestic matters. Hillary's actions - spoke loud and clear for her - by requesting that the State Department recognize same sex relationship. A quote from Hills:

"Now over the past four years, we’ve built on those and other steps to really acknowledge and welcome LGBT people into the State Department family and other agencies. We’ve extended benefits to same-sex domestic partners of State and USAID employees, Foreign Service officers, personal service contractors, third country nationals at missions overseas. We’ve institutionalized these changes by creating a classification for same-sex domestic partners in the Foreign Affairs manual. We’ve also made it clear in our Equal Opportunity Employment statement that the Department doesn’t discriminate on the basis of gender identity or expression."

I believe these public endorsements are all very calculated coming out every couple of days until the Supremes take up the case. Not to my knowledge has there ever been so much public support leading up to cases coming before the Supremes. As an Elder gay, I find it personally rewarding validating my life and will take any acknowledgement no matter if I approve of when/how it happened.

by Anonymousreply 3803/18/2013

The full transcript:

November 28, 2012 Benjamin Franklin Room Washington, D.C.

SECRETARY CLINTON: Thank you. Thank you. Thank you all, very much. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. (Laughter.) Thank you, all. Thank you.

Yeah, that’s good. (Laughter.) Wow. Well, welcome to the Ben Franklin Room. (Laughter.) And congratulations on your 20th anniversary. I am so pleased to be here and to have this chance to join this celebration. Ken, thank you for your kind words and your efforts here to make this day possible. I am extremely pleased that Cheryl Mills, my friend as well as Chief of Staff and Counselor is here, so that those of you who may not have met her or even seen her, given how shy and retiring she is – (laughter) – can express your appreciation to her for her tireless efforts.

I’m delighted that Deputy Secretary Tom Nides is here. Tom, who some of you know, who you’ve had a chance to work with him, has been just an extraordinary deputy. Also let me recognize USAID Deputy Administrator Don Steinberg. He’s been an unyielding advocate for the LGBT community at USAID. We also have a number of ambassadors and deputy chiefs of mission, both past and present, some of whom have literally traveled from the other side of the world to be here. David, I’m talking about you. And we have Michael Guest with us, our country’s first out ambassador to be confirmed by the Senate and someone who’s remained an outspoken champion for LGBT rights, despite having to endure countless attacks and threats. Michael, why don’t you stand up so that you can be recognized? (Applause.)

Also let me thank the GLIFAA board and members. I just had a chance to meet the board and former presidents. I don’t think I’ve ever been in a room with so many former presidents. (Laughter.) The last count was maybe five. (Laughter.) But it’s really due to their leadership over 20 years that GLIFAA has reached this milestone, and it will be up to all of you and those who come after you to keep the work going for the next 20 and the 20 after that.

Now, it wasn’t really that long ago since this organization was created, but in many ways it was a completely different world. As we heard, in 1992 you could be fired for being gay. Just think about all of the exceptional public servants, the brilliant strategists, the linguists, the experts fired for no reason other than their sexual orientation. Think of what our country lost because we were unable to take advantage of their hard work, expertise, and experience. And the policy forced people to make terrible choices, to hide who they were from friends and colleagues, to lie or mislead, to give up their dreams of serving their country altogether.

That began to change, in part because of the brave employees here at State, who decided that it was time for the bigotry, the ignorance, the lying, and discrimination to end. The LGBT community deserve the same chance as anyone else to serve. And indeed, as we all know, many had for many years, just without acknowledgment of who they were. So enough was enough, and that’s how GLIFAA was formed. And thank goodness it was.

We’ve come a long way since then, and we have seen milestones along that journey over the last 20 years. I remember that I think on my husband’s first day in office back in ’93, he announced that gays and lesbians working in the federal government would receive equal treatment under the Civil Service Reform Act. Two years later, Secretary Warren Christopher made clear those rules would be enforced within the halls of the State Department when he issued a statement that explicitly prohibited discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation.

Now over the past four years, we’ve built on those and other steps to really acknowledge and welcome LGBT people into the State Department family and other agencies. We’ve extended benefits to same-sex domestic partners of State and USAID employees, Foreign Service officers, personal service contractors, third country nationals at missions overseas. We’ve i

by Anonymousreply 3903/18/2013

R16. Decades after the private sector. She's late. Again

by Anonymousreply 4003/18/2013

R40, Hillary just became Secretary of State 4 years ago. How was she supposed to do it 'decades earlier'?

by Anonymousreply 4103/18/2013

We’ve institutionalized these changes by creating a classification for same-sex domestic partners in the Foreign Affairs manual. We’ve also made it clear in our Equal Opportunity Employment statement that the Department doesn’t discriminate on the basis of gender identity or expression.

We’ve helped to make it easier for transgender Americans to change the gender listed on their passports, because our mission is not only to protect the rights and dignity of our colleagues, but also of the American people we serve.

And we’ve taken this message all over the world, including the UN Human Rights Council in Geneva, where we worked to pass the first ever UN resolution affirming the human rights of LGBT people.

Now, together we have worked to make something very simple and right come true. Our people should not have to choose between serving the country they love and sharing a life with the people they love. And I want to say a few words about why this work is so important.

Now, leaders of all kinds will stand in front of audiences like this and tell you that our most important asset is our people. And of course, that’s especially true in diplomacy, where we try to be very diplomatic all the time. But what our success truly depends on is our ability to forge strong relationships and relate to people of all backgrounds. And what that means for me, as your Secretary, is that creating an LGBT-welcoming workplace is not just the right thing to do, it’s also the smart thing to do.

In part, that’s because the nature of diplomacy has changed, and we should and need to keep up. Today we expect our diplomats to build relationships not just with their counterparts in foreign governments, but with people from every continent and every walk of life. And in order to do that, we need a diplomatic corps that is as diverse as the world we work in.

It’s also smart because it makes us better advocates for the values that we hold dear. Because when anyone is persecuted anywhere, and that includes when LGBT people are persecuted or kept from fully participating in their societies, they suffer, but so do we. We’re not only robbed of their talents and ideas, we are diminished, because our commitment to the human rights of all people has to be a continuing obligation and mission of everyone who serves in the Government of the United States. So this is a mission that I gladly assume. We have to set the example and we have to live up to our own values.

And finally, we are simply more effective when we create an environment that encourages people to bring their whole selves to work, when they don’t have to hide a core part of who they are, when we recognize and reward people for the quality of their work instead of dismissing their contributions because of their sexual orientation or gender identity.

So really, I’m here today to say thank you to all of you. Thank you for your courage and resolve, for your willingness to keep going despite the obstacles – and for many of you, there were and are many. Thank you for pushing your government to do what you know was right, not just for yourselves but for all who come after you.

I want to mention one person in particular who was a key part of this fight, Tom Gallagher. I met Tom earlier. Where is Tom? There you are, Tom. Tom joined the Foreign Service in 1965 and in the early 1970s he risked his career when he came out and became the first openly gay Foreign Service officer. He served in the face of criticism and threats, but that did not stop him from serving. I wanted to take this moment just to recognize him, but also to put into context what this journey has meant for people of Tom’s and my vintage, because I don’t want any of you who are a lot younger ever to take for granted what it took for people like Tom Gallagher to pave the way for all of you. It’s not a moment for us to be nostalgic. It is a moment for us to remember and to know that all of the employees who sacrificed their right to be who they were were really defending your rights and the rights and

by Anonymousreply 4303/18/2013

And, R37, remember that it was Joe Biden who forced Obama's hand on gay marriage,

"Charlie, sadly, can't be trusted when it comes to HRC. He's often bragged about meeting her at fundraisers..."

I thought he picked her up off the floor after she fell and broke her elbow a few years ago. Not only are they close personal friends, he's in her will.

by Anonymousreply 4403/18/2013

R43 made me vomit.

by Anonymousreply 4503/18/2013

In the 1990's Joe Biden voted for DOMA and Don't Ask Don't Tell. Barack Obama only recently evolved on gay marriage... Why hold Hillary Clinton to a higher standard?

by Anonymousreply 4603/18/2013

The ONLY reason that Hillary, Bill, Obama, etc. have declared themselves pro-gay marriage is because doing so is no longer a political liability. Period.

by Anonymousreply 4703/18/2013

Thank you, r39 & 43.

Let those of you who want to hate Hillary Clinton go on and hate her.

Should she run for president in 2016, she's obviously our friend. Who would those of you who trash her rather have running in her place--and with a decent chance of winning the nomination, let alone being elected president?

Sometimes some of us can't take YES for an answer, or call a win a win.

by Anonymousreply 4803/18/2013

Hillary would be fantastic president.

by Anonymousreply 4903/18/2013

R47, that's pretty much the case of most politicians chiming in at this point.

by Anonymousreply 5003/18/2013

Putting Hillary up as a candidate will guarantee our success.

by Anonymousreply 5103/18/2013

People bitching about Hillary seem to have very short memories and forget her UN speech from a few years back where she called for LGBT rights around the world.

We can dissect the timing and the politics of it, but her support hasn't been in question for some time.

by Anonymousreply 5203/18/2013

If she had been president in 2008, she would have made it a priority. Hillary has always been very strong on gay rights, moreso than Obama.

Because if we're keeping it real, Hill was doing gay and lesbian town halls and marching in pride parades while Obama was giving time to anti-gay loons like McClurkin and Warren. There was a time when he flat out refused to be photographed with Gavin Newsome.

Thankfully, that's all passed.

by Anonymousreply 5303/18/2013

I find it amazing that virtually NO ONE in the mainstream media find Hillary's announcement shocking or unanticipated - but here on Datalounge it is quite controversial. We've done everything except call the woman a cunt.

by Anonymousreply 5403/18/2013

You are right R47. She couldn't drag her feet anymore.

by Anonymousreply 5503/18/2013

[quote]Putting Hillary up as a candidate will guarantee our success. (GOP)

Oh, how quaint. Please keep believing this, just like Rush Limbaugh and his ilk in all those years before.

by Anonymousreply 5603/18/2013

There's a lot of freepers on this thread.

Hillary's LGBT speech in Geneva was courageous and a landmark for this administration.

by Anonymousreply 5903/18/2013

freeper @ R60

by Anonymousreply 6103/18/2013

If Hillary ran today she would win by a landslide. America is rapidly changing and it is crazy to even predict who would be the best candidate two years from now. Keep holding your breath.

by Anonymousreply 6203/18/2013

R31- re Bill Clinton- he was horrified with DADT and DOMA which he more or less had to sign to get the rest of his program- he was after all working with the Gingrich crowd. Now Bill told me this in person of course, at a 1996 Empire State Pride dinner I attended with about 500 or 1000 other NYCers. Those bills were the end result of his efforts on our part- including his making domestic partnership benefits policy for Federal employees which changed the whole ballgame in corporate America. Cynics like R44 and R47 (same cynic- who clearly has not really read my posts) don't know history, nor do they know how democratic politics work, i.e. process and compromise and more process and compromise. They do know how to attack people, or at least they think they do- kind of like Sarah Palin just did- only on DL they get to spew their venom not only against HRC but fellow posters as well. Free floating anger in my opinion.

If you really are interested in knowing just how far we have come read "Stonewall, the Other Side of Silence" which includes Bill Clinton bringing gay rights front and center on the stage of human rights in the United States and lately his wife around the world.

by Anonymousreply 6303/18/2013

" Now Bill told me this in person of course, at a 1996 Empire State Pride dinner..."

Yeah, he told YOU. I'm sure.

by Anonymousreply 6403/18/2013

"Because even I'm sick of hearing about it. Is this the foremost issue in U.S. today? Certainly sounds like it. I can't believe the press that this topic gets, which pertains to such a miniscule minority of the U.S. population: gays who want to marry."

This poster can eat shitcorn.

Better you get sick of hearing about gay marriage than gay plague, gay bashing and gay sin. I've been around long enough to see meaningful equality for gays get pushed to the back burner for at least three decades. The excuse is always "Don't we have more important issues?"

It should be leading the news every day. It is a big fucking deal.

Politicians from both parties are effectively shouting down the bigots in our country, endorsing equal taxation rights, benefits and privileges for all LGBT citizens.

I'm not happy with the timing either, but it is light years away from where we were even a few years ago.

by Anonymousreply 6503/19/2013

R57 = Rubio voter

by Anonymousreply 6603/19/2013

So she gets the automatic pat on the back when she spoke against gay marriage in favor of civil unions for political gain but if a Republican does for personal reasons (I think it's fucked to only have compassion for situations that touch you personally, but still), you have days of questioning motivations. She didn't have an issue with gay marriage when she said she didn't but said she did for votes, that's completely kosher.

by Anonymousreply 6703/19/2013

[We don't know if this is true but Hillary Clinton just came out with a 5 minute video endorsing same sex marriage, today this article is everywhere on google.] Hillary Clinton Has Been Placed Under House Arrest Date: Sunday, 17-Mar-2013 Hillary Rodham Clinton UNITED States of America - As Wanta-Reagan-Mitterrand Protocols implementation remains imminent with an April 1st U.S. Supreme Court ordered deadline, it can now be reported that former U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton has been placed under house arrest by the U.S. military on charges of financial treason. On week ago Friday, the same day Jack Lew was sworn in as U.S. Treasury Secretary, sociopath Hillary attempted to illegally divert $1.7 TRILLION of U.S. Treasury funds to a secret CIA proprietary account in the People's Republic of China.

by Anonymousreply 6803/25/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!