Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Beethoven And The Quality Of Courage

Excerpt from link:

Beethoven’s music tends to move from chaos to order (as with the introduction to the Fourth Symphony) as if order were an imperative of human existence. For him, order does not result from forgetting or ignoring the disorders that plague our existence; order is a necessary development, an improvement that may lead to the Greek ideal of catharsis. It is not by chance that the Funeral March is not the last movement of the Eroica Symphony, but the second, so that suffering does not have the last word. One could paraphrase much of the work of Beethoven by saying that suffering is inevitable, but the courage to fight it renders life worth living.

by Anonymousreply 903/18/2013

Thanks for the link, OP.

by Anonymousreply 103/18/2013

I'm listening to Beethoven as I type this

by Anonymousreply 203/18/2013

I'm pretending to be a deaf composer while I type this.

Or maybe a blind datalounger.

Wow. No mistakes!

by Anonymousreply 303/18/2013

I like the review

by Anonymousreply 403/18/2013

Beethoven was a deeply political man in the broadest sense of the word. He was not interested in daily politics, but concerned with questions of moral behavior and the larger questions of right and wrong affecting the entire society. Especially significant was his view of freedom, which, for him, was associated with the rights and responsibilities of the individual: he advocated freedom of thought and of personal expression.

Beethoven would have had no sympathy with the now widely held view of freedom as essentially economic, necessary for the workings of the market economy. A relatively recent example of the economic definition of freedom can be found in “The National Security Strategy of the United States of America,” a document issued by President George W. Bush on September 17, 2002, defining America’s relation to the rest of the world. It states that the aim of the United States, as the most powerful nation on earth, is to

[quote]extend the benefits of freedom across the globe…. If you can make something that others value, you should be able to sell it to them. If others make something that you value, you should be able to buy it. This is real freedom, the freedom for a person—or a nation—to make a living.

by Anonymousreply 503/18/2013

He was a great man

by Anonymousreply 603/18/2013

My favorite Beethoven book is Beethoven in America by Michael Broyles. Fascinating read!

by Anonymousreply 703/18/2013

I love this; almost ten minutes of a Violin Concerto: Rondo Allegro.

by Anonymousreply 803/18/2013

lovely

by Anonymousreply 903/18/2013
Need more help? Click Here.