Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Corporate Welfare Queen: Carnival Cruise Edition

Did you know that every time an unsinkable molly brown turd on Carnival Cruise Lines requires coastguard assistance, your tax dollars pay for it?

Did you know that Carnival Cruise doesn't have to pay a living wage or federal income taxes because it's incorporated in Panama?

by Anonymousreply 903/18/2013

It is time we bill them for what they cost or refuse docking or any other US service.

by Anonymousreply 103/18/2013

I'm not going to begrudge them the Coast Guard assistance. This is what the Coast Guard is for.

But incorporating in Panama so as to avoid US Wage and Hour laws does piss me off.

by Anonymousreply 203/18/2013

I believe that it was also Carnival Cruise that argued that they did not have to pay royalties for the heavily edited musicals that they produce because the shows are performed outside the US boundaries. The judge ruled that they have to pay royalties since the musicals are rehearsed on shore. I wonder if they are now rehearsing them at sea?

by Anonymousreply 303/18/2013

[quote]I wonder if they are now rehearsing them at sea?

Don't give them any ideas.

by Anonymousreply 403/18/2013

R3 Yes...they now rehearse at sea.

by Anonymousreply 503/18/2013

I went on a Carnival Cruise in 2000 that left from New Orleans. It was HORRIBLE. The food was garbage, the boat was overcrowded, full of white trash and high school graduates who's parents paid for them all to go on a cruise. They spent their nights drinking, openly smoking marijuana, and destroying the boat. During the day, there were activity groups for the small children...all you could hear was them chanting "we love Carnival, Carnival, Carnival...". It was just terrible. We got off the boat early in Jamaica, it was so bad. Have not been on a cruise since.

by Anonymousreply 603/18/2013

Carnival is the Applebees of cruise lines. Went once, and thought it was pretty trashy compared to other cruise lines.

by Anonymousreply 703/18/2013

Anericans gladly surrender their US rights once they sail beyond the 12 mile limit of our borders. We have always made it simple and profitable for foreign registered vessel to sail into US ports and make a fortune taking US passengers on poorly staffed cruises. We have laws that make it unprofitable to sail on US tonnage. If the US were to place a tax on cruises to cover the difference in cost the same cruise would cost on and American vessel with American cruise.

Of course the Cruise industry would stop call on US Ports and fly US passenger to foreign port of embarkation.

by Anonymousreply 803/18/2013

[quote]high school graduates who's parents paid for them all to go on a cruise

Are you begrudging them their education just because they learned the difference between "whose" and "who's"?

by Anonymousreply 903/18/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!