Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Are You Being Served? star Frank Thornton dies at 92

Are You Being Served? star Frank Thornton dies

Thornton, 92, who also starred in BBC comedy series Last of the Summer Wine, died peacefully in his sleep, says agent

Press Association;guardian.co.uk, Monday 18 March 2013 08.49 EDT

The actor Frank Thornton, 92, died in his sleep in the early hours of Saturday morning, his agent, David Daly, has said.

The star was famous for his role as Captain Peacock in Are You Being Served? and as Truly in Last of the Summer Wine.

His agent said: "Frank Thornton died peacefully in his sleep on Saturday. Frank was a much loved British actor who played mainly comedy roles and is perhaps best known for his role as Captain Peacock in Are You Being Served? and latterly as Truly in Last Of The Summer Wine.

"Frank is survived by Beryl, his wife of 67 years, daughter Jane and their three grandchildren.

"I have been Frank's agent since 1986 and he has been the most wonderful client as well as being a great friend. He will be sorely missed."

by Anonymousreply 1703/21/2013

:( This leaves Nicholas Smith (Mr. Rumbold) as the last of the core cast.

by Anonymousreply 103/18/2013

Are you free, Captain Peacock?

by Anonymousreply 203/18/2013

Don't know why, but this makes me sad. RIP Captain Peacock!

by Anonymousreply 303/18/2013

This really saddens me. I just an interview with him last week about something. I LOVE AYBS. I know it's considered low-brow among Britcoms, but I think it's hilarious and still holds up very well. I don't know if you'd consider him a core cast member, but Mike Berry (Mr. Spooner) is still alive.

by Anonymousreply 403/18/2013

And I am Unanimous in this!

by Anonymousreply 503/18/2013

The news came as such a shock to my pussy. I don't think it'll feel normal again for a long time.

by Anonymousreply 603/18/2013

He may have been married for 67 years, but that didn't keep him from stroking my pussy on a regular basis.

by Anonymousreply 703/18/2013

Captain Peacock is now free.

by Anonymousreply 803/18/2013

The cheeky devil used to nick my knockers.

by Anonymousreply 903/18/2013

Rest in Peace, Captain Peacock.

The rest of you: GET BACK TO YOUR COUNTERS!!

by Anonymousreply 1003/18/2013

I have seen him in 'The Tomb of Ligeia' and in 'Gosford Park'. I enjoyed a lot the first one, a very atmospheric movie and although i'm not fond of 'Gosford Park', i must admit that the actors made a great job.

Rest in peace Mr. Frank Thornton and thank you for being part of the cinematic world.

by Anonymousreply 1103/18/2013

Frank Thornton obituary

[quote]Thornton had more than 60 film credits, including Victim (1961), The Dock Brief (1962), A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum (with Zero Mostel, 1966), A Flea in Her Ear (with Rex Harrison, 1968), The Bed Sitting Room (1969), The Old Curiosity Shop (1995) and Gosford Park (2001), as well as the Disney TV adaptation of Great Expectations (1991). His last appearance came in the 2012 film version of Run for Your Wife.

by Anonymousreply 1203/18/2013

Victim is the British film about blackmailing "homosexuals" while it was still illegal to be gay in England. The film started the public debate to change the law.

So hat's off to Capt Peacock for his part in the filmic Stonewall.

by Anonymousreply 1303/18/2013

Bumping in honor of Captain Peacock. Rest in peace.

by Anonymousreply 1403/19/2013

Bumping original thread

by Anonymousreply 1503/19/2013

Thank you for the smiles and chuckles, I miss you already.

by Anonymousreply 1603/21/2013

So he died in his sleep, in his home in London in the early hours of Saturday. Good for him, he probably didn't suffer i mean. He seemed a sweet and good man like many of his fans seem to be in this thread by the way they speak for him.

by Anonymousreply 1703/21/2013
Need more help? Click Here.