Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

CNN Reports On The ‘Promising Future’ of the Steubenville Rapists, Who Are ‘Very Good Students’

Disgusting coverage. Yes, let's all pity the rapists!

by Anonymousreply 22804/06/2013

Candy could never get raped, but how would Poppy feel if she were raped and her accusers were coddled by the media? Those comments were beyond offensive.

by Anonymousreply 103/17/2013

Never heard about this before. You knew about this case for awhile?

by Anonymousreply 203/17/2013

Outrageous. What about the victim whose life is also "over."

by Anonymousreply 303/17/2013

"Why is the girl's bad behavior and irresponsibility not discussed?"

So fucking what. That doesn't mean is there for the raping.

Men can get blackout drunk and are unlikely to be raped by women who then post the photos everywhere and brag about what they id.

by Anonymousreply 503/17/2013

Umm R4? I know that we're just a bunch of judgemental horny queens here, but I'm pretty sure the proper heterosexual etiquette, when approaching a young drunken passed out under-aged girl is not to fuck her with your friends.

Somewhere in the back of my mind, I think there's probably a better reaction.

by Anonymousreply 603/17/2013

[quote]She got blackout drunk. The reality is, we don't know what she said or did in that state that could have indicated consent.

Unconscious people cannot give informed consent you dumb asshole.

by Anonymousreply 803/17/2013

Some of you must not have read the texts the boys exchanged. They basically admitted to raping her.

by Anonymousreply 903/17/2013

Crowley and Poppy Harlow are getting ripped apart on Twitter and the CNN Facebook page. The "Anonymous" group that went after the Steubenville rapists is hinting that they will go after Crowley and Harlow.

by Anonymousreply 1103/17/2013

[quote]she's not a saint

No one said she was, you brain-dead cretin. She made bad mistakes and will pay horribly for for the rest of her life.

by Anonymousreply 1203/18/2013

R4/10 you are a fucking idiot. They took photos and one guy copped to filming it you stupid cunt. These guys, as well as friends and family members also threatened this girl on twitter and through text messages after the fact. She was 15 or 16 years old shit for brains and shouldn't have been drinking in the first place.

by Anonymousreply 1303/18/2013

" But they're not evil and she's not a saint."

Yeah, they're fucking evil cunts. Glad they'll be registered as sex offenders forever these worthless little cunts.

by Anonymousreply 1403/18/2013

It was interesting to see how the two boys reacted at the reading of the verdict. The black boy sobbed and sounded very contrite in his apology. The white boy issued a very formal statement drained of all sentiment.

The white one revealed himself to be a sociopath. Sadly, he'll probably end up the CEO of a major corporation.

by Anonymousreply 1503/18/2013

[quote]The white one revealed himself to be a sociopath. Sadly, he'll probably end up the CEO of a major corporation.

Both of their lives are ruined dear. This will follow them and the other boys forever. This will be at the top of every internet search for them. The guy that made that Youtube video mocking the victim and the incident had to drop out of college because he was getting death threats almost daily.

by Anonymousreply 1603/18/2013

"These guys, as well as friends and family members also threatened this girl on twitter and through text messages after the fact"

link please

by Anonymousreply 1703/18/2013

[quote]The "Anonymous" group that went after the Steubenville rapists is hinting that they will go after Crowley and Harlow.

Will they bring snacks?

by Anonymousreply 1803/18/2013

Shame on CNN. Seriously. Enough excusing the rapists (and that's what they were and are), and blaming the victim. Jesus Christ.

by Anonymousreply 1903/18/2013

R4, you're an idiot, and an asshole.

I don't care how drunk anyone gets, it's not a "go ahead" for them to be raped.

I don't care how short a skirt or revealing a blouse they wear, it's not a green light for any man to come across and rape them.

Jesus Christ, R4, what the FUCK is wrong with you, that you're clearly THIS misogynist and so ready to pity and defend RAPISTS?

Go to hell, R4. To go fucking hell.

by Anonymousreply 2003/18/2013

R10? You fucking asshat? Her "saintlihood" is not an issue. It wouldn't matter if she were a slut, or a criminal.

THE BOYS FUCKING RAPED HER, VIDEOED IT, AND LAUGHED ABOUT IT.

They are not innocent. They RAPED A PASSED OUT GIRL. They deserve exactly what they're getting.

by Anonymousreply 2103/18/2013

I really hate to say this, but I kind of hope Poppy Harlow gets raped so maybe then she'll feel what it is like to live with the trauma.

by Anonymousreply 2203/18/2013

"She was drinking illegally. She got blackout drunk.

The reality is, we don't know what she said or did in that state that could have indicated consent."

First, passing out when you are drunk doesn't entitle the men you are with to rape you.

Second, when one is in your words "blackout drunk" one is not legally capable of consenting to have sex.

Third, if someone is arguably incapable of consent but might have nonetheless appeared capable of consenting and has appeared to have said or done something to convey consent - which you are suggesting - than there is a reality in which that can become known, or at least introduced and evaluated for its truth - that reality is a court in which the accused, or another witness present, can give evidence to that effect. I don't believe the defense ever introduced or argued that consent was given in this case.

by Anonymousreply 2303/18/2013

This is really pretty fucking outrageous.

by Anonymousreply 2403/18/2013

Link.

by Anonymousreply 2603/18/2013

I would like to sponsor that big black buck Mandingo once he gets out of jail, you know, give him a loving home where he can thrive and fuck his white Daddy Warbucks in the ass nightly.

by Anonymousreply 2703/18/2013

Of course the Right will smear the Left with this, since they've convinced the masses that CNN = Liberal media.

by Anonymousreply 2803/18/2013

it was rape rape

by Anonymousreply 2903/18/2013

Who's who?

by Anonymousreply 3003/18/2013

R29 = Cheryl, who has never been lucky with the guys.

by Anonymousreply 3103/18/2013

Well, they might get raped in jail -- or wherever it is they're going.

I don't want this next word to be misconstrued:

Good.

by Anonymousreply 3203/18/2013

I wonder how CNN will deal with this. I don't think Crowley will be let go, but I wouldn't be suprised if they threw Poppy Harolw and that legal expert under the bus.

by Anonymousreply 3303/18/2013

Don't worry, R32. They'll be conscrewed in jail repeatedly without your help.

by Anonymousreply 3403/18/2013

Has anyone ever had a jail sex fantasy?

by Anonymousreply 3603/18/2013

R37, you probably think the iron bar used on the Indian student who was gang raped and died wasn't really sex either. What you're forgetting is that the female victim's vagina was penetrated. That's the crime, not what implement was used.

by Anonymousreply 3803/18/2013

Keep in mind that "very good student" or "Honor Roll" these days means a pupil who shows up more often than not.

by Anonymousreply 3903/18/2013

Well, if there wasn't sexual intercourse it wasn't rape but molestation and sexual assault...

[quote]Rape is a type of sexual assault usually involving sexual intercourse, which is initiated by one or more persons against another person without that person's consent. The act may be carried out by physical force, coercion, abuse of authority or with a person who is incapable of valid consent, such as one who is unconscious, incapacitated, or below the legal age of consent. The term is most often defined in criminal law.

by Anonymousreply 4103/18/2013

Thank God, at least these boys are not gay!

by Anonymousreply 4203/18/2013

Isn't Crowley a Republican? And we know that Republicans don't believe in rape.

by Anonymousreply 4303/18/2013

Fucktard at R40, do you ever read the news?

by Anonymousreply 4403/18/2013

I hope these pigs are digitally raped daily in prison.

BTW, they probably roofied her.

R4 is bag full of oozing, stinking slime.

by Anonymousreply 4503/18/2013

As I recall, it was stated by more than one of the boys that victim had been slipped a roofie.

Anyone remember [italic]this[/italic] the video at the link?

by Anonymousreply 4603/18/2013

[quote] Thank God, at least these boys are not gay!

Sadly, this is right on the nose, especially in Steubenville, where it's still 1953 and not 2013.

Steubenville is a vile, trashy town fllled with inbred hicks and fucktards that have an eight grade education.

by Anonymousreply 4703/18/2013

CNN is pathetic. A bunch of talentless journalists stuck at a network that doesn't know its left from its right.

by Anonymousreply 4903/18/2013

[quote]Isn't Crowley a Republican?

Well, if she was, she would have gone easier on Romney during the debates.

by Anonymousreply 5003/18/2013

[quote]As I recall, it was stated by more than one of the boys that victim had been slipped a roofie.

They thought that was a possibility, but I don't think it was confirmed, and the girl admitted that she was drinking and acting 'like a slut.' The text messages were unbelievable. Another girl has reportedly just come forward, and two more girls were believed to have been with the girl this case was prosecuted over at the same time, totally passed out.

by Anonymousreply 5103/18/2013

This is the current culture we live in, and it's not just young people doing this. We're desensitized. We see all sorts of shit on the web. I can also see this happening at a million gay parties, and I doubt anyone would come forward, not even the victim. The young in the gay community don't even use condoms.

by Anonymousreply 5203/18/2013

[quote]Well, if there wasn't sexual intercourse it wasn't rape but molestation and sexual assault...

Not according to Ohio law. Both boys were convicted of rape.

by Anonymousreply 5303/18/2013

I'm pretty sure CNN wouldn't be lamenting these boys' future if they had murdered this girl instead of "just" raping her.

In fact, they're both incredibly LUCKY that they were tried as juveniles and not adults. They'll have to do 1-2 years in juvenile hall and register as sex offenders. Had they lived in another state where they would have been tried as adults, they could have been looking at 20+ years in prison.

by Anonymousreply 5403/18/2013

[quote]I'm pretty sure CNN wouldn't be lamenting these boys' future if they had murdered this girl instead of "just" raping her.

If they had penetrated some passed out BOY, they wouldn't either.

If you want to know what patriarchy looks like... this is it. Men having dominion over women's bodies.

More blame-the-victim crap. Shame on you if you even ONCE put any blame on her, or made any excuses for the boys.

by Anonymousreply 5503/18/2013

Reason #23,795,095 why I hate Ohio and will never return there.

by Anonymousreply 5603/18/2013

"Yes young man, shed some tears for yourself. But then keep crying, because we want you to drop as many tears for your victim, whose life you have irrevocably damaged. Please don't stop now. We want you to shed 78 more tears... one for each women who is raped every single hour in the United States alone. Actually, just keep crying, because we want you to release 1,871 tears for each woman who is raped per day. Then please give us 683,000 tears for each woman raped per year.

It seems you many never be able to stop crying if we also ask you to shed tears for all the other women worldwide who are raped on a daily basis.

How sad for you. More sad for us." -

by Anonymousreply 5703/18/2013

R2, have you been in a coma?

by Anonymousreply 5803/18/2013

The white guy Mays or whatever his name is made me want to puke. He read his 'apology' like it was a bad homework assignment without one solitary tinge of even fake remorse.

by Anonymousreply 5903/18/2013

[quote]If you want to know what patriarchy looks like... this is it. Men having dominion over women's bodies.

This x2

by Anonymousreply 6003/18/2013

No one from Steubenville has a "promising future". The town is a shithole.

by Anonymousreply 6103/18/2013

"But they're not evil and she's not a saint"

No one said she was a saint. But you don't have to be a saint to be a victim. Why is it that male victims always get a free pass and female victims are always accused of being sluts? If these guys were raping young boys like Jerry Sandusky people would call them "evil" or "monsters"

Oh, and Jerry Sandusky was a talented high school football player who received good grades in school....guess that means we should give him a free pass!

by Anonymousreply 6203/18/2013

We should consider letting Sandusky have these two boys. That would be nice for him.

by Anonymousreply 6303/18/2013

[quote]We should consider letting Sandusky have these two boys. That would be nice for him.

At 16 and 17, they're way too old for him.

by Anonymousreply 6503/18/2013

No, the issue here is that they saw someone who was vulnerable and apparently decided they had a right to do whatever they wanted to her. Not surprised they're Ohio jocks.

I'm with Zak on never going back there.

by Anonymousreply 6603/18/2013

Those of you defending these rapists might have a good argument if the evidence was inconclusive. But it overwhelmingly shows that they raped the victim, knew they raped the victim and bragged about raping the victim. Their friends, the ones who were there and made the videos and photos, the friends laughed about the victim, saying "she is SO raped."

Photos showed the rapists holding her unconscious body. One of the rapists talked about how she was unconscious when he raped her.

So if someone is unconscious because they drank too much, that is different from someone who is unconscious in a hospital bed? I don't think so. The law doesn't think so. So to use the argument of the rapists' defenders, someone who gets raped while lying in a coma in a hospital bed has a responsibility in that rape.

And don't say that a teen girl should expect to be raped if she is around young men and alcohol. You may as well say a person in the hospital should expect to get raped because it sometimes happens.

What if these rapists had taken the unconscious woman to the hospital? And it was determined that she was just drunk and needed to sleep it off. And while she was in her hospital bed, these rapists stuck their fingers in her vagina, took pictures and videos, etc. i wonder what the rapists' supporters would say in that instance. Because all that's changed is the location, from a football player's basement to a hospital. I bet you would think an indefensible crime had been committed.

There is no gray line here. These rapists knew they were doing something wrong, yet they felt entitled to do it. They would have gotten away with it, were it not for the hackers who made it such a high profile case.

This was a horrendous crime that really pulled back the curtain on the permissive culture surrounding athletes. You should be horrified that our society creates and glorifies criminals because they happen to excel at throwing or catching a ball. Instead, some of you are angry at a girl for beings victim of a crime.

by Anonymousreply 6703/18/2013

But they'll still get to play football on the weekends.

by Anonymousreply 6803/18/2013

Poopy Harlow and CNN are getting a lot of flak for their coverage of the verdict. CNN says "No comment."

by Anonymousreply 6903/18/2013

People need to understand that it's no longer "No means No". It's "YES MEANS YES". Anything other than yes is a no. That means don't put anything into someones vag, ass, hand or mouth without being invited to do so.

by Anonymousreply 7003/18/2013

The petition has gotten a lot of attention. And it seems that Anonymous is going after CNN, Harlow and Crowley.

by Anonymousreply 7103/18/2013

This is a date that went wrong, R72. They saw a helpless girl and took advantage of her. They took pictures and laughed about what they did. They didn't just make a mistake. They took great pleasure in laughing at the girl. They are little monsters and deserve everything that is coming to them.

by Anonymousreply 7303/18/2013

This isn't a date that went wrong. Sorry about the typo.

by Anonymousreply 7403/18/2013

Anyone using the phrase "The victim was not a saint" in this discussion is a moral toxic waste dump.

by Anonymousreply 7503/18/2013

What the boys did was reprehensible, there's no doubt about that. They deserve what they get and then some. They raped her, it's as plain as day.

But why can't this also be a discussion on not only underage drinking but binge drinking as well? You don't put yourself in a position where you have no control over yourself. And this is something that really needs to be hammered home again and again to the young girls out there today. Do not put yourself in a position where you lose your judgement and your ability to think on your feet. Period, point blank.

That is not something that needs to be swept under the rug. Or minimized in such a crass and ugly manner by equating it with saying you sympathize with the rapists. Total bullshit. But anyone binge drinking at the parties is as foolish as someone who gets in a stranger's car in this day and age.

by Anonymousreply 7603/18/2013

It wasn't just the alcohol, R76. The girl was drugged. So yeah, the fucktards are getting what they deserve.

by Anonymousreply 7703/18/2013

We always talk about how girls should protect themselves from rape. Don't walk alone, don't wear certain clothes, don't binge drink.

We never teach young men that it isn't OK to rape. This is about men seeing women as less than human, as objects to do with what they will.

by Anonymousreply 7803/18/2013

I guess we shouldn't be surprised that grown women who go by "Poppy" and "Candy" are fucking idiots.

by Anonymousreply 7903/18/2013

[quote]they only inserted their fingers

Does anybody believe that all these guys did was finger and pee on her?

by Anonymousreply 8003/18/2013

Bravo to R78. Even on college campuses these days the emphasis is still on teaching women prevention and self defense. How about mandatory classes for young males teaching them how not to be pigs?

by Anonymousreply 8103/18/2013

Anderson is talking about the backlash AGAINST the female victim tonight on AC360...........so it is not just R4, believe me.

by Anonymousreply 8203/18/2013

They play high school football, and they are straight, one of them white. Of course they all have promising future.

by Anonymousreply 8303/18/2013

[quote]Why can't this also be a discussion on not only underage drinking but binge drinking as well? You don't put yourself in a position where you have no control over yourself. And this is something that really needs to be hammered home again and again to the young girls out there today. Do not put yourself in a position where you lose your judgement and your ability to think on your feet. Period, point blank.

That is not something that needs to be swept under the rug. Or minimized in such a crass and ugly manner by equating it with saying you sympathize with the rapists.

EXACTLY. And it should be hammered home to both boys *and* girls. The girl's bad behavior should be discussed: Terrible things can happen when you get blackout drunk. You literally go OUT OF YOUR MIND. That's not blaming the victim, it's not saying she deserved anything. We should be fearless enough to speak to all facets of this situation in a way that both men and women should learn from. It's too easy to slide into villain vs. virgin tropes. That feels better, I guess. But by not having that discussion, we're continuing to raise a generation of binge-drinkers and alcoholics, and everything that leads to.

by Anonymousreply 8403/18/2013

2 teenage girls were arrested today for making online threats against the victim, including death threats.

by Anonymousreply 8503/18/2013

Poppy Harlow back on CNN tonight.

by Anonymousreply 8603/18/2013

[quote]EXACTLY. And it should be hammered home to both boys *and* girls. The girl's bad behavior should be discussed: Terrible things can happen when you get blackout drunk. You literally go OUT OF YOUR MIND. That's not blaming the victim, it's not saying she deserved anything. We should be fearless enough to speak to all facets of this situation in a way that both men and women should learn from. It's too easy to slide into villain vs. virgin tropes. That feels better, I guess. But by not having that discussion, we're continuing to raise a generation of binge-drinkers and alcoholics, and everything that leads to.

And yet men can and do get black out drunk and DO NOT have to fear being raped while they are unconscious.

by Anonymousreply 8703/18/2013

R84, none of that shit matters though.

It doesn't make any of the guys less guilty or the girl less of a victim.

Yes, as a SEPARATE ISSUE at SOME OTHER TIME, you can talk about how to avoid being raped. That's great. Everyone should be careful.

But why the fuck aren't we spending even MORE time on telling guys NOT TO RAPE?

It doesn't matter if she made mistakes, got too drunk, passed out, etc.

by Anonymousreply 8803/18/2013

r87, that's not necessarily true. Men can get raped.

by Anonymousreply 8903/18/2013

But they should fear doing all manner of terrible things when they're blacked out.

by Anonymousreply 9003/18/2013

Poppy Harlow is a cunt.

by Anonymousreply 9103/18/2013

I'm glad someone else was appalled. I watched Poppy interview the father of one of the rapists yesterday and I couldn't believe what I was hearing, especially having this jerk go on about how his son was innocen,t with CNN giving him this coverage. This reporter did a poor job, but I'm wondering about the bad judgment of her bosses as well. They knew what we were going to see. She could have just as easily interviewed people who were in the courtroom or those outside, rather than giving this man, who was never around for his son anyway, the free air time.

by Anonymousreply 9203/18/2013

R89, men don't go out to a party with the same burden women do when it comes to rape. That's just a fact.

And men aren't blamed when they are victimized. What were they wearing, what were they drinking, why were they walking alone.

This thread is an example.

by Anonymousreply 9303/18/2013

I despair at the human race more and more every day. Rapists are scum. Apologists for rapists are also scum.

by Anonymousreply 9403/18/2013

The behaviour of these thugs goes hand-in-hand with the way kids are being brought up these days. They are allowed to run wild and they are never disciplined. Therefore, they never learn to respect other people. They believe they are entitled to do whatever they want to do and, because they got away with so much shite as kids, they think there will be no repercussions.

I feel bad for the girl but she was never taught personal responsibility and self respect. Yes, she is young, but she should have known better. Unfortunately, if you are never taught to respect others, you also never learn self respect.

That does not give the bastards the right to assault her, though. What ever happened to gentlemen? Why didn't one of those jerks not take her home? I weep for the generation that is about to emerge into society. And I weep for society that we will have to endure them.

Parents are afraid to discipline their children. They think the kids won't like them. Well, how much will your kids like you when they are in prison because you didn't teach them to be proper citizens? How much will your daughter like you when she is lying drunk and naked on the floor because you didn't teach her even a modicum of self respect?

by Anonymousreply 9503/18/2013

I don't blame the victim. There are a lot of stupid teenagers out there. When I was 18 and a, literally, an extremely naive street kid, the first rule I learned from other women (probably in the welfare line) was NEVER GO TO A FRAT PARTY OR A SPORT TEAM PARTY. Period. It would not end well. I wanted to be wanted by anyone so badly it's a miracle I actually heeded that advice. Although I often put myself into dangerous situations I never put myself in that particular situation and I think it is a miracle I was never raped. I'm now 60 and just can't fucking believe I got away without that particular awfulness.

by Anonymousreply 9603/18/2013

These two will spend more time in jail than Darun Ravi did for videotapping his gay roommate having sex which led to his suicide. These two and Ravi both bragged about what they did yet two very different outcomes in the judicial system because heterosexuals don't think gay victims are worth punishing heterosexuals for crimes they committed.

by Anonymousreply 9703/18/2013

[r89]: have packs of women raped blacked out drunk men? Do women put drugs into men's drinks so they can fuck them while they are passed out, film it and then jerk off to it?

by Anonymousreply 9803/18/2013

No, r98, men rape men. By the way, I'm not a rape apologist by any stretch of the imagination. I'm horrified by what happened in Steubenville. The perpetrators are entirely at fault.

by Anonymousreply 9903/18/2013

COMPLETELY different cases, R97 and totally not comparable.

by Anonymousreply 10003/18/2013

R4 and R10

is Chris Brown.

This kinda attitude happens when idiots like Brown get best artist awards at BET and are being invited to the Grammys. Ughhhh!

by Anonymousreply 10103/18/2013

"It's too easy to slide into villain vs. virgin tropes. That feels better, I guess. But by not having that discussion, we're continuing to raise a generation of binge-drinkers and alcoholics, and everything that leads to."

Raping someone makes you a villain. It is not okay to rape someone just because they were drunk.

by Anonymousreply 10203/18/2013

"What ever happened to gentlemen? Why didn't one of those jerks not take her home? I weep for the generation that is about to emerge into society. And I weep for society that we will have to endure them."

Wow, you have no knowldege of history whatsoever. Do you honestly have no clue that rape has been happening since the beginning of time? It is hardly unique to this generation. Actually, rape has been going DOWN for decades. Maybe you should look at statistics before you post things like this. I weep for old conservative rednecks who pretend everything was better in the past because they don't know much about history.

by Anonymousreply 10303/18/2013

We don't need to talk about the victim's "responsibility" because whatever poor judgement she might have shown, whatever she [italic]might[/italic] have done wrong, she already got her punishment. She learned her lesson, be sure of that.

by Anonymousreply 10403/18/2013

R103, he's not implying that rape is a new invention, but that there are far fewer "Gentlemen" around these days.

by Anonymousreply 10503/18/2013

r105, you honestly think guys in previous generations would never rape anyone? Ha ha ha. Once again, rape is going down and has been for decades. A few high profile cases getting media coverage does not mean that rape is going up.

by Anonymousreply 10603/18/2013

And now the victim is getting death threats from other students because she "ruined those young boys' lives."

by Anonymousreply 10703/18/2013

Two teenagers were arrested Monday afternoon for allegedly issuing death threats on Twitter against the victim in the Steubenville rape case. Steubenville Police Chief Bill McCafferty confirmed the arrests to WTOV Monday evening.

According to WTRF7, the teenagers arrested were both 16-year-old girls, and one was apparently a relative of one of the convicted rapists. Jefferson County Sherrif Fred Abdalla said one of the teens turned herself in to authorities while the other was arrested elsewhere. Both are being held in Jefferson County Juvenile Detention Center and are facing charges of aggravated menacing.

by Anonymousreply 10803/18/2013

Wow, the arrests were 2 16 year old girls? Well so much for the men-bashers on this thread.

by Anonymousreply 10903/18/2013

Yes, SHE ruined THEIR lives by... being raped by them.

Un-fucking-believable.

by Anonymousreply 11003/18/2013

"Wow, the arrests were 2 16 year old girls? Well so much for the men-bashers on this thread."

Internalized sexism; girl realize from a very young age on that if you can't beat them, join them. Not that different from the clowns on here who find some homophobes "hot".

by Anonymousreply 11103/18/2013

R109 I so admire your logical thinking.

by Anonymousreply 11203/18/2013

Ma'lik Richmond's idiotic father is now on Piers Morgan swearing his son is totally innocent.

by Anonymousreply 11303/18/2013

Saw that yesterday, R113. I'm appalled that CNN is giving him a stage. He was a crappy father and now he's doing it again.

by Anonymousreply 11403/18/2013

"No it isn't very pretty what a town without pity--cannnnnn do."

Will anyone ever again admit they're from Steubenville?

by Anonymousreply 11503/18/2013

Two girls get arrested for texting death threats.

And yet, NO arrest of the coach, adults or parents that tried to cover it up or pressure the victim to drop the charges.

by Anonymousreply 11703/18/2013

Are all teenagers just borderline sociopaths? Cause it's starting to seem like it.

by Anonymousreply 11903/18/2013

R118 = moron

by Anonymousreply 12003/18/2013

[bold]This Two-Year-Old Onion Story Perfectly Predicted CNN’s Shocking Steubenville Rape Trial Coverage[/bold]

CNN earned the ire of thousands over the weekend when it aired coverage of the Steubenville Rape trial that was shockingly sympathetic toward the rapists.

"Incredibly difficult, even for an outsider like me, to watch what happened as these two young men that had such promising futures," correspondent Poppy Harlow told anchor Candy Crowley, who then turned around and asked a legal expert to weigh in on the "lasting effect" being found guilty of rape will have on the lives of "sixteen-year-olds just sobbing in court."

Given the Onion-y nature of CNN's coverage, it may not be all that surprising to learn that The Onion did a story two years ago that shares some disturbing similarities with CNN's take.

"I was a staff writer on the Onion's show 'SportsDome' which aired on Comedy Central in 2011," writes Krister Johnson in the intro to Onion Sports Network story "Athele Overcomes Rape." "This is one of the stories we did—full credit to David Iscoe for the idea and script. It could have been produced by the CNN team covering the Steubenville rape verdict."

Who needs Onion-like stories in real life when actual Onion stories are becoming real life?

by Anonymousreply 12103/18/2013

Ever watch the movie Sixteen Candles? There was an interesting thread about it here recently. If you remember, in that movie, THE HERO of the story offers up his passed out girlfriend to his buddy to do whatever he wants to her. It's okay though because she was "the bad girl" who let herself get too drunk.......and she wouldn't notice/remember it anyway. No one even questioned it at the time the movie was made (1984). It's all just good old boy fun and games---fodder for comedy.

by Anonymousreply 12203/18/2013

[quote]The sentence was too harsh, they should have been given probation and have their records sealed after turning 18, so this doesn't ruin the rest of their lives.

The crimes they committed were adult in nature and they should have been tried as adults. I hope they are made to serve the entire sentence. One or two years is not enough. Also, they should be placed on the sex registry for the rest of their lives.

by Anonymousreply 12303/18/2013

[bold]CNN RESPONDS!!![/bold]

"Look, we at CNN know that the real victim in Steubenville is not the rapists. The real victim is CNN being vilified for coverage of it."

by Anonymousreply 12403/18/2013

*sex offenders registry

by Anonymousreply 12603/18/2013

They were also offering friends money to piss on her.

Toobin, yes CNN, said an adult would have been given 20 yrs.

by Anonymousreply 12803/18/2013

" I do think the rapists deserve some amount of leniency, not because they are male or football stars or because they only inserted their fingers, but because they are young. It is medically established that teenage brains are not yet fully wired properly, and they routinely do foolish things and occasionally heinous ones."

Okay, R72, if some drunken teenagers ran over your mother (and filmed themselves laughing while doing it), would you still say they deserved leniency? Or would you say that the only way to teach the developing brains that it's wrong to kill someone, is to punish them so severely they'll be afraid to ever set a foot wrong again? Or would you say that the perps are so irredemably evil that they need to be removed from society forever?

Seriously, you're another person who seems to think that their feelings are more important than the victims' (or future victims), and treating the crime like it's no big deal. Creepy.

by Anonymousreply 12903/19/2013

Date rape apologist @ R130

by Anonymousreply 13103/19/2013

Someone keeps saying the rapists deserved leniency. Honey, they were tried as juveniles when they could have, and should have, been tried as adults. I think that's pretty fucking lenient. Instead of 20 years, they are getting one and two years in a juvenile facility.

And this bullshit about developing brains needs to stop. If you don't think for one second that today's teens are more sexually sophisticated than some adults ever will be,you haven't been paying attention to the world around you.

The fact that they tried to cover up their behavior, bullied the victim into keeping her mouth shut and openly discussed with their coach how to make the accusations go away shows they had a sophisticated understanding of their crimes. That belies any undeveloped brain talk.

by Anonymousreply 13203/19/2013

Many people in this country would fit in well with Middle Eastern Islamic culture.

by Anonymousreply 13303/19/2013

Not fair, R131. The movie apologizes for date rape. I don't. I am stating a fact that has a direct bearing on a previous post. You are shooting the messenger.

If I told you that I disapprove of the fact that it took Hillary Clinton up until this week to endorse same-sex marriage, you would probably accuse me of being a Freeper, and I am not one of those either.

by Anonymousreply 13403/19/2013

They did it because they thought they could get away with it. They were treated like little gods, acted like little gods, and then they got caught.

Their tears are because they fell sorry for themselves. There's no remorse there. They cry because they feel sorry for themselves, not their victim.

by Anonymousreply 13503/19/2013

As expected, most of this thread consists of a bunch of hysteri-queens screaming at each other.

by Anonymousreply 13603/19/2013

If any of you apologists knew what it felt like to be raped, you'd never make these glib, uninformed statements. Rape is the worst thing you can do to someone short of murdering them, and in some rape+torture scenarios death is preferable.

by Anonymousreply 13803/19/2013

So odd that the balif or whatever he was hugged the rapist while he cried.

by Anonymousreply 13903/19/2013

Okay, so... I like sex. I have a high libido. I have sometimes been a slut. I also like to dress sexily at times. Occasionally, I even like to go out and have fun. Especially with people who tell me they are interested in me. If I know them, I'd probably trust any drink they handed me.

I'm hoping you all can tell me, just so I can prepare for what's to come: what exactly do I deserve because of that? I just want to make sure I'm not shocked or devastated or suicidal when it happens. So long as I am a person who likes sex or has done anything salacious in the past, I need to know that someone I'm not willing to have sex with totally has the right to do whatever s/he wants to my body and psyche, right?

by Anonymousreply 14003/19/2013

right r140. You are correct. Well said.

by Anonymousreply 14103/19/2013

There was a rape case in the UK last year involving professional footballers and a drunk girl, who went on to receive threats and was named on twitter despite rules on victim anonymity.

by Anonymousreply 14203/19/2013

Poppy Harlow is a mysangist!

by Anonymousreply 14603/19/2013

The 2 should have their dicks cut off and shoved into their mouths.

Then throw the trash on the front lawns of their parents.

Next up - Cody Saltsman

by Anonymousreply 14703/19/2013

r147, nobody breaks up with Cody Saltsman; I ruined that bitch!

by Anonymousreply 14803/19/2013

[quote]And yet, NO arrest of the coach, adults or parents that tried to cover it up or pressure the victim to drop the charges.

The state attorney general said they are calling a grand jury to look into all of the other students and adults who could have either assisted or covered up the crime. This isn't over. Not by a long shot.

by Anonymousreply 14903/19/2013

Anonymous had originally reported the victim had been dating one of the football players and had broken up with him. As a revenge, they got another girl to convince her to go out with the 2 convicted and all this was planned. Slip her a roofie. Take advantage of her. Post pix on social media to "get her back" for breaking up with the Steubenville football player. The victim was not a drunk - she played in a team volleyball game just hours before the parties that night.

All this was posted on the Anonymous blog about Steubenville which has been suspended due to a violation in terms of service.

by Anonymousreply 15003/19/2013

[quote]The victim was not a drunk - she played in a team volleyball game just hours before the parties that night.[/quote]

Non sequitur.

by Anonymousreply 15103/19/2013

R118 and R125 are fucking pieces of shit.

R137 I can only assume is a rapist himself. The turd can't fathom the difference between doing harm to someone else and having harm done to you.

by Anonymousreply 15203/19/2013

Disgusting Slut-shaming on DL. Weird, because the gays were for decades characterized as emotionless beings, incapable of human relationships based on feeling and emotion, driven by only sexual acts. That's the assumption some of the posters here are doing, and thus showing your hatred for women in general, and to be honest, your lack of intelligence. A woman being drunk, wearing sexy clothes and partying is, in a rapists mind, asking to be raped. If you think that a girl who's passed out at a party is just asking to be raped, then you have the mindset of a rapist.

by Anonymousreply 15303/19/2013

I really hope that the rapists are raped and humiliated and then pics leak out. That is the only justice for this case.

by Anonymousreply 15403/19/2013

I hope they prosecute the rest of them who were videotaping and/or laughing at the rape or who sat there and watched and didn't do anything. Also I am so glad they are going after 2 girls who threatened the victim on Facebook.

by Anonymousreply 15503/19/2013

The comments on Gawker that I see are actually sympathetic to the rapists. WHAT THE FUCK?

This was not a simple case of horniness and opportunity either; if that Anonymous blog is true it was completely premediated and done to denigrate and humiliate her. The fact that they PISSED on her says it all.

by Anonymousreply 15603/19/2013

R137 the rape victim did no harm. Why would "responsibility" come into it, as you are comparing her to a drunk driver?

by Anonymousreply 15703/19/2013

This piece of shit Mormon has actually stated his sympathy to the rapists. He says that it is the girls fault even when the turd is the father of girls. He has suddenly made his twitter account private. I hope Anonymous brings down his account.

by Anonymousreply 15803/19/2013

R143 is being a homophobic bitch on another thread. Just goes to show that people who hate women hate gays too.

by Anonymousreply 15903/19/2013

For those of you lamenting the "bright futures" of these felons, I ask you to consider the bright future of neurological researcher James Holmes. Is it right that his career was "stolen" from him because he mowed down a score of people in a movie theater?

Should Amy Bishop, a brilliant scientist who was working on eradicating cancer, be locked up? Just because she had ONE fatal error in judgement and shot a few of her colleagues?

Do you get it?

by Anonymousreply 16003/19/2013

Bravo, R160.

by Anonymousreply 16103/19/2013

Exactly R160. And what about the "bright futures" of people who drink and drive and kill someone in an accident. They serve many years in prison and they didn't even have any evil intent of harming someone.....they were just stupid and reckless.

by Anonymousreply 16303/19/2013

I hope Kelly mcgillis goes after the ones who watched and cheered!

by Anonymousreply 16403/19/2013

I don't think murder is equal to rape, R160.

But I also think the boys got what they deserve.

by Anonymousreply 16503/19/2013

To make matters worse, some major news agencies broadcast the rape victim's name.

by Anonymousreply 16603/19/2013

This Two-Year-Old Onion Story Perfectly Predicted CNN’s Shocking Steubenville Rape Trial Coverage

by Anonymousreply 16703/19/2013

Read this and weep.

by Anonymousreply 16803/19/2013

ideally, the boys would be raped and humilated and they could be told: "NOW, do you get it, you fucking idiots? THAT's what you did to that poor girl so don't EVER EVER EVER do it again!"

But two wrongs don't make a right.

by Anonymousreply 16903/19/2013

[quote]But two wrongs don't make a right.

In this case it would, R169. I do hope the rapists are humiliated.

by Anonymousreply 17003/19/2013

[quote]The sentence for that, whatever it would be is what they should get.

That is what they got, R171. A year or two in juvie is nothing like the ten to twenty years in prison they'd have gotten if they had been tried as adults in a criminal court for rape.

by Anonymousreply 17203/19/2013

R171, that video has the guy saying someone put their penis in her anus.

by Anonymousreply 17403/19/2013

[quote]Why should they be tried as adults? They are not...and you don't go to Julie for sending nude pictures...that's ridiculous. Community service sensitivity training house arrest expulsion from school there are all sorts of appropriate ways to punish...

Honey, rape is an adult crime. One of the boys was convicted of taking and distributing photographs of a minor, but the reason they are going to juvie is because they raped a girl. And one year of raping and humiliating this girl is very very lenient.

by Anonymousreply 17503/19/2013

R171, R173 - They ruined her life so they should have their lives ruined. Nothing more nothing less. Hopefully some well meaning fellow inmates will include them in some watersports as part of their "sensitivity training".

by Anonymousreply 17603/19/2013

The rape issue is hysteria?

Say what?

THEY RAPED HER. It doesn't matter if it wasn't with their penis. You don't get to insert ANYTHING in a girl's vagina when she's unconscious. That's called rape. That's why they're being put away.

What is wrong with posters like R171? Are they mentally slow? Psychopaths? What exactly is the problem here?

by Anonymousreply 17803/19/2013

How do you think her life isn't ruined? She'll have to go around the rest of life with people pointing her out, if she stays in that part of the state. Small town gossip gets ugly. Not to mention wondering in the back of her head what she did to deserve it, what was actually done to her etc. There is something really wrong with you, R177.

by Anonymousreply 17903/19/2013

[quote]What is wrong with posters like [R171]? Are they mentally slow?

In the case of R171, do your really have to ask? Look at all those ellipses. There's clearly not a whole lot of thinking going on there.

by Anonymousreply 18003/19/2013

R171 is an ass but I agree with one thing: the girl's life is not "ruined."

You get a little provincial when you say her life is "ruined." She did nothing wrong, her life should not be ruined. It's almost like the "spoiled/de-flowered" woman concept. If anything, assigning her a life of ruin is worse that the actual rape.

by Anonymousreply 18103/19/2013

R181 is correct. Her life has not been "ruined." To say so gives those pigs who raped her even more power. The heinous acts they performed on her will not define her for the rest of her life. They have nothing to do with her--she was just a lifeless vessel for . The lives of the rapists are the ones that have been ruined, and rightly so.

She can already feel a great sense of justice and hope in the fact that her rapists are getting their due and she has helped raise awareness of date rape as a serious crime. Hopefully we'll see a lot less of it in the future.

Oh, and R171 needs to be stripped naked, put in a stockade in the town square, and digitally raped daily for the rest of his life.

by Anonymousreply 18203/19/2013

"Her life isn't ruined.Thats ridiculous. If this is how she defines the next sixty years she is a moron. "

Okay, R171, let's say some thugs hold you down (and they're not hot), and they piss on you, fondle you, rub garbage on you, do everything they can think of to humiliate you, while they film it and laugh. You won't be actually raped, you won't be physically harmed, and you won't catch an STD or get pregnant.

Let's see how fast you get over that, and how much leniency you think the thugs deserve. Seriously, this girl has suffered a horrible assault and is getting piloried in public eve though SHE NEVER HURT ANYONE, THE RAPISTS DID.

by Anonymousreply 18303/19/2013

[quote] She'll have to go around the rest of life with people pointing her out, if she stays in that part of the state.

What about a civil suit? Can't she sue these little monsters and their appalling families?

by Anonymousreply 18403/19/2013

[quote]Or go to prison for years where you may be tortured, then have to be treated as a "sex offender" for the rest of your life?

Let's see. If you don't rape anybody then you won't have to go to prison and be "treated as a sex offender for the rest of your life."

Seems fairly easy to me.

Rape is a voluntary choice these boys made.

BEING raped is involuntary since nobody asks to be raped.

by Anonymousreply 18603/19/2013

R185, why would anyone ever have to choose between those two? One is deserved punishment for a crime. The other is being victimized by a a criminal.

by Anonymousreply 18703/19/2013

R185 is a piece of shit!

by Anonymousreply 18803/19/2013

They're going to be treated as sex offenders for the rest of their lives because they are sex offenders.

by Anonymousreply 18903/19/2013

"Let's put it to a vote: Would you rather be fucked while you're drunk and passed out.... Or go to prison for years where you may be tortured, then have to be treated as a "sex offender" for the rest of your life?"

What's your point? I suspect many men would have allowed themselves to be groped by Michael Jackson or Jerry Sandusky if it meant they could become multi-millionaires in a civil suit. I wonder how much cash those young men will get from Penn State, probably a lot.

by Anonymousreply 19003/19/2013

[quote] Or go to prison for years where you may be tortured.

Nonsense--they'll be in juvie, with other juvenile offenders just like them, for a year-enjoying the camaraderie of shitheads together. During lunch, they can crowd around the dining hall and gab about what gives their lives meaning--you know, raping women, hate crimes, video games, junk food, drug possession, assault, DUIs.

It's sort of like summer camp for reprobates.

by Anonymousreply 19103/19/2013

R185 is one of those gays who thinks getting raped by a straight guy would be just super hot!

by Anonymousreply 19203/19/2013

[quote] "Her life isn't ruined.Thats ridiculous. If this is how she defines the next sixty years she is a moron. "

Have you ever known any women who have been raped? I know at least half a dozen women who were raped as teenagers, two as children, and all of them still have psychological issues even 20 years later.

And if you haven't known any personally, then you really can't assess or speculate on the amount of psychological damage that rape causes--and if you're at all honest, you'll admit that.

I would highly recommend Alice Seibold's book, Lucky, for a firsthand account

by Anonymousreply 19303/19/2013

The entire intent was to hurt her and humiliate her. From what I read, it was a premeditated set-up by boys who wanted revenge on her because she dumped one of them. They roofied her, sexually assaulted her, pissed on her, photographed her, posted those pictures, and laughed about it. How anyone can defend it or act like it was some innocent mistake is beyond me.

by Anonymousreply 19403/19/2013

r194 is spot on, making those of you who are defending the rapists even MORE reprehensible.

by Anonymousreply 19503/19/2013

Agree R171

by Anonymousreply 19603/19/2013

R179 must be a child. What happens today will be forgotten by the end of the year. As I said, people move on, don't make her be an over sensitive victim!

If this girl's life is ruined it's because her and her family CHOOSE for her life to be ruined.

by Anonymousreply 19703/19/2013

"If this girl's life is ruined it's because her and her family CHOOSE for her life to be ruined."

WTF? It was the rapists that CHOSE to create this situation! Everything else is a reaction to their evil actions, they are solely responsible.

But seriously, if that girl's life is ruined, it'll be because a bunch of thoughless assholes are supporting the rapists and ripping her up in public. That's what could really destroy a person, not just an assault, but being told they aren't worthy of justice or human kindness.

by Anonymousreply 19803/19/2013

Two girls were arrested yesterday after making violent threats to the rape victim on Twitter and Facebook.

by Anonymousreply 19903/19/2013

OK R197 has to be trolling because there is no way someone can be that clueless. Right? Unless it's one of the rapist's mammas posting.

by Anonymousreply 20003/19/2013

Why didn't the defense attorneys try and prove that the alleged victim was a Townie?

by Anonymousreply 20103/19/2013

Which one penetrated her and which one jerked off on her? Just trying to figure out which the court deemed more of an offense as one got 1 year and the other got 2.

by Anonymousreply 20203/19/2013

R202, Mays was ordered to serve an additional year for photographing the underage girl naked.

by Anonymousreply 20303/19/2013

[Quote]As I said, people move on, don't make her be an over sensitive victim!

All the girls who carry around psychological damage from being raped are just "over sensitive" y'all!!

Asshole.

by Anonymousreply 20403/19/2013

R109 it's called internalized misogyny.

It's common to see it in women of all ages who say negative things about rape victims, who say misogynistic things themselves, who are desperate to let others know that they are nothing like ~those~ women. (ie. feminists, girls who they consider slutty and and any women who draw the ire of men)

They are desperate to telegraph that they aren't those women to other men, because they've internalized that misogyny.

It's the same way some gay people have internalized homophobia, and try to distance themselves from other gay people.

It's sad that both groups are internalizing this shit from straight men.

by Anonymousreply 20503/19/2013

no joke

by Anonymousreply 20603/19/2013

Really, r137? You think that's funny?

How can a drunk 16 yo girl consent to boys stripping her, transporting her, filming her, fucking her and peeing on her?

She can't.

That's why they did it.

A sober 16 yo would not have consented.

This was a crime of opportunity.

Plus, she didn't kill anybody. She was the victim.

by Anonymousreply 20703/21/2013

Don't you understand? It was the girl's fault, she got wasted and let this happen, those poor innocent boys!

If that girl hadn't given them the opportunity, those innocent boys wouldn't have been in this situation! it's her fault!

It's always the woman's fault, and we *should* be able to control her uterus, anyway.

by Anonymousreply 20803/21/2013

[quote]This was a crime of opportunity.

Actually it was more than that. It was a crime of revenge. The victim was set up, drugged, raped, and humiliated by the perpetrators because she broke up with one of their friends. It was all premeditated, and the judgment was not harsh enough. Those "poor" boys got off easy.

by Anonymousreply 20903/21/2013

Those "poor" boys need to get raped and humiliated in prison.

by Anonymousreply 21003/21/2013

R171, in the video they joke about what if she gets pregnant...and what a shock it would be if she had a black baby.

She was more than fingered and peed on.

by Anonymousreply 21103/21/2013

Wow, r209. I didn't know that. Did they come out in the trial? I didn't closely follow

by Anonymousreply 21203/21/2013

What I want to know how a sour cow like Candy Crowley got to host a tv show? She seems dour and humorless at the best of times and judgemental and bitter at her worst.

by Anonymousreply 21303/21/2013

R214

Yeah, she was "just" fingered... against her will and has no memory of it but had it documented so everyone else could see it, again, against her will. So she should just totally get over it.

And so if anyone wants to rape rape someone, per R214, just drug them up or do it when they're passed out because it won't count.

I guess R214 would also be okay if someone decided to do something awful to a child or infant because they won't remember it and so it's not a big deal.

R214 get help. Seriously.

by Anonymousreply 21503/23/2013

R214=Whoopi "Rape Rape" Goldberg

by Anonymousreply 21603/23/2013

R214, seriously, you are a fucking moron. If you are ever raped I hope you remember every second of it.

by Anonymousreply 21703/23/2013

How you should treat girls who are passed out. This is getting negative responses online for not treating girls as equals.

by Anonymousreply 21903/23/2013

Now that the State's Attorney General is planning to convene a grand jury, I hope that Cody Saltsman is scared shitless. He's the one who set the plan into motion and should be charged with conspiracy to commit rape.

[quorw]The final member of Rape Crew who is the one to blame for this horrible night is Cody Saltsman. He was originally charged but chargers were dropped after a private meeting between Saltsman’s father, the Sheriff, and a wealthy Steubenville resident. The reason Saltsman is the one to blame for the night is because the victim was his ex-girlfriend. One month before this all happened, he wrote to his friends “Nobody breaks up with Cody Saltsman, Ill ruin that bitch.” A few weeks after the break-up, it was Cody’s friend Trent Mays who started texting her, pretending to like her. It was Cody’s friend Trent Mays who got his girlfriend to convince the victim to hang out with all of them on August 11. It was Cody who took a picture of two boys carrying the unconscious victim around and wrote “I have no sympathy for whores.” He knew what he was doing was wrong, yet he didn’t care. To him and his friends, because the girl broke up with him she deserved to be drugged, to be gang rapped, to be masturbated on, and to be left out on her lawn for dead.

Didn't Saltsman parents sue this blogger or another for defamation and promptly drop the case when they realized their kid's texts would be read in court? They're scared because they know there's plenty of evidence implicating him.

And if the coach knew about the crime and tried to help cover it up (Mays said the coach had his back), there's obstruction of justice.

A lot of people in this town need to be taken down.

by Anonymousreply 22003/23/2013

R218

You have serious issues. You have no idea what kind of psychological damage that sort of thing can do. Just stop talking because you sound like a class A psychotic.

by Anonymousreply 22103/23/2013

I think I should get to masturbate all over the passed out body of Trent May.

by Anonymousreply 22203/23/2013

Congratulations to sleazeball Jeff Zucker for having CNN sink even lower.

by Anonymousreply 22303/23/2013

If anything is going to cause psychological damage, it's millions of morons on the internet supporting those vicious little sociopaths, and saying she's a drunken whore who's responsible for ruining their promising futures. I hope to God her loved ones have managed to keep her from reading any of that poison, it'd be beyond devastating.

Physical trauma isn't the most destructive part of a rape.

by Anonymousreply 22403/23/2013

I can't stand CNN, so I didn't see what they said. However, I think it is relevant to mention their backgrounds when talking about the case, especially sentencing.

The actual details of the sexual assault are not the only things the judges/lawyers will consider. They do look at the lives and previous record, if any, of the rapists before sentencing.

They are the product of a entitled culture that is different than the hard core, psychopathic criminal element. It doesn't make what they did acceptable, but it changes their potential to reintegrate into society.

Patrice O'Neal was a rapist as a juvenile, but AFAIK, he never offended again as an adult. He became a husband, step-father and successful comedian.

His comedy was misogynistic, but that's not rare. Bill Burr and LouisCK are the same way, and were never rumoured rapists to my knowledge.

by Anonymousreply 22503/23/2013

"His comedy was misogynistic, but that's not rare. Bill Burr and LouisCK are the same way, and were never rumoured rapists to my knowledge."

Wasn't C.K. the subject of a blind item about a standup who forces women to watch him jerk off and his manager threaten women who want to complain?

by Anonymousreply 22603/23/2013

Less than a week after Trent Mays and Ma'lik Richmond were convicted in the Steubenville rape trial, new video has been released of police officers interviewing teenage partygoers who witnessed the victim's increasing state of intoxication.

Farrah Marcino, 16, told authorities, "I could tell that she was gradually getting more drunk and worse throughout the night," adding, "Just, like, that she couldn't, like, she didn't walk."

18-year-old Anthony Craig, who told detectives that he took photos at the home where the assault occurred, but that they were deleted, described the victim as "a mess," saying, "she wasn't responding." Craig informed police that when Mays and Richmond carried the victim out of the house, "she was passed out."

Marcino told police that despite the fact that she and her friends tried to tell the (unable to walk, unresponsive) victim to not go with Mays, it didn't work - "Like, we just kept trying to tell her: ‘You don't want to do this. You don't want to go with them.' I just let her do what she want[ed], which I understand was wrong."

Investigators are concerned with why the bystanders failed to intervene and, instead, turned it into a "social media event."

Documentarian Denise Evans points to the lack of impulse control in the adolescent brain in culmination with a mix of "alcohol, social media and power":

Think about the number of students that witnessed this, that saw this. What about the ones that didn't text or tweet, but that were there watching. ...If you're drinking alcohol - a lot of teens are drinking alcohol - they just have entered the phase where decision-making is completely gone out the window. There's not deciding right or wrong in the moment.

by Anonymousreply 22703/24/2013

Did CNN ever comment about this?

by Anonymousreply 22804/06/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!