Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

What's the future of England?

I predict in the next century or so we will see the complete disintegration of England. It will very soon become a third world country.

by Anonymousreply 3103/21/2013

Dark, very, very dark.

by Anonymousreply 103/17/2013

Do you mean the United Kingdom? Or England itself?

by Anonymousreply 203/17/2013

R2 England not the UK

by Anonymousreply 303/17/2013

Hilarious. OP doesn't even know the difference between the U.K. and England. England is not a separate country, dear.

by Anonymousreply 403/17/2013

Fuck you idiots. Fuck you with Camilla's nose.

by Anonymousreply 603/17/2013

I can't imagine there is much chance of England's breaking up, but it may become poorer. I should say there was a better chance of the USA fracturing.

by Anonymousreply 703/17/2013

Earrings

Caftans

Crowns

by Anonymousreply 803/17/2013

7's got that right. The UK won't dissolve until The US has severed a few states form the Union. The area of the UK that is England will for financial reason survive just fine.

by Anonymousreply 903/17/2013

Queen Carole and her chav mom turning Buckingham Palace into a party favor store.

by Anonymousreply 1003/17/2013

High street shopping is up (and even despite the rise of internet shopping). So no, England is not on its last legs. Ireland, however, had 87,000 emigrate last year, the highest since the 1980s.

by Anonymousreply 1203/17/2013

Why do you make this dire prediction, OP?

by Anonymousreply 1303/17/2013

Anyone following the Cyprus situation? The financial web is going nuts about the government seizing (stealing) depositors money out their bank accounts.

by Anonymousreply 1403/18/2013

For the our government in the US, "England" aka UK is our anchor in major decision making. Many times decisions are on hold pending word from Great Britain. Virtually all of advance technology is based on major input from the great universities in England and Wales. I see a wonderful future for Britain aka UK. The government in USA would have be completely disabled before it would permit any dire consequence befall England.

You can take that to the bank!

by Anonymousreply 1503/18/2013

As soon as my kids are old enough I will leave England and that idiot musician I'm shackled to.

by Anonymousreply 1603/18/2013

Yay! Let's shit all over the UK!!! It will deflect the mess that's going on in the USA!

After that, let's shit all over Australia!!!

by Anonymousreply 1703/18/2013

Britain (specifically England) is becoming insanely overcrowded, they don't have enough housing as it is and yet more EU immigrants and asylum seekers continue to pour in. Also, neighbourhoods in major cities like London, Birmingham and Bradford have been entirely taken over by Muslims and more areas will follow as the Muslim population grows.

Britain will never become a "third world country" as the OP suggests, but its society is undergoing dramatic cultural change and not for the better.

by Anonymousreply 1803/18/2013

I think the US could have major problems, too

by Anonymousreply 1903/18/2013

The UK has had it's time as a great power, and has been in steady decline since the Second World War. But many of the fundamentals are still strong: it's a fertile attractive country with pretty good infrastructure, it is a famously open tolerant secular society, it has a stable parliamentary democracy with strong popular support, it has arguably the world's most highly regarded legal system, it has a good location as a bridging point between Europe and America, it is the source and to some extent the guardian of the world's lingua franca, it has some of the world's premier universities, and its capital city is one of the world's greatest and most cosmopolitan cities, arguably the very greatest. I don't see the UK fading into oblivion any time soon.

The Muslim influx into Britain gets a lot of press, but in many ways Britain has been more successful than its neighbours in incorporating immigrants into its society. There are a few vocal nutcases, but they are a tiny lunatic fringe.

by Anonymousreply 2003/19/2013

R18 I agree. All the asylum seekers have ruined England. London in particular is a mess because it's so crowded. Cities in England are not big enough to hold all of those people.

by Anonymousreply 2103/19/2013

Nick Clegg claims 50,000 more homes will be built in 2013 to deal with the population explosion.

Where are they going to put them? Build a new town from scratch like Milton Keynes?

by Anonymousreply 2203/19/2013

Climate change has to be considered part of the equation. The continuance of The Gulf Stream is vital: otherwise England, The UK...pretty much all of Northern Europe might as well be within the Arctic Circle. Look at a globe and see just how far North that part of the world really is.

by Anonymousreply 2303/19/2013

A lot of the cities in England have very uncertain futures. I shutter to think what Birmingham will look like in 30 years.

by Anonymousreply 2403/20/2013

[quote] I shutter to think what Birmingham will look like in 30 years

Shutter? Is that like when you close your mind shut?

by Anonymousreply 2503/20/2013

Neither do the majority of Americans or even continental Europeans and many English people themselves refer to England as such, R4.

I don't mind it, cause it's actually more specific. What they mean is England and that's what they're thinking of when they say it, so why not.

And you could say it's the Queen of England technically as that's where she lives, nowadays the "Prime Minister of England" is in effect true in many ways.

It's all very confusing these days with devolved governments. It's only really a united Britain in the Olympics team, but separate countries for football. The only thing that makes me feel "British" is that we have mostly the same media. And I abhor nationalism.

by Anonymousreply 2603/20/2013

England will secede from the UK and become the 51st state.

by Anonymousreply 2703/20/2013

Everything R20 said is correct.

People like to be very gloom and doom about the future of Britain for their own bizarre entertainment, but in reality it's doing fine. I'd rather live in the England of 2013 than the England of 1953.

by Anonymousreply 2803/20/2013

[quote]England will secede from the UK and become the 51st state.

They would love that, considering how they love to copy Americans and how they like to pretend they aren't a part of Europe even though they most certainly are. But we have enough Brit trash over here, so they can just forget it.

by Anonymousreply 2903/20/2013

The Uk's history has always been very volatile, I don't expect that to change. Some younger people are out of touch with their history or older generations.So they might not be aware of that.

Riots, bombs on the streets(IRA),strikes, rationing, the 3 day week (when the electric only worked a couple of days per week),Bonkers inflation.All very recent events.

by Anonymousreply 3003/20/2013

[quote]They would love that, considering how they love to copy Americans

Nope. George W Bush, and Blair's 'shoulder-to-shoulder' support, magnified everything thoughtful Brits distrust about American power and its abuse. (See a recent DL thread about 'Why do other countries hate America?') Obama's charms are certainly qualified by his use of drones.

The effects of sub-prime mortgaging also let drop that the US has its limitations.

Plenty of American culture is a joy, but the idea that it's consumed uncritically is deluded.

Baseball caps and hamburgers would have proved functional wherever they came from; they're not used as a daily tribute to America.

by Anonymousreply 3103/21/2013
Need more help? Click Here.