Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Do you think rap music sounds horrible

I don't know how it could be considered music.

by Anonymousreply 76September 7, 2020 8:39 PM

For the most part, yes. But some rappers do have legitimate talent, I just prefer to hear them rapping over dance tracks. As a guest rapper, with a real singer to sing most of it.

by Anonymousreply 1March 18, 2013 12:55 AM

Flo Rida is just about the best of the bunch, to my way of thinking.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2March 18, 2013 12:59 AM

MOM?

Is that you??????????

by Anonymousreply 3March 18, 2013 1:02 AM

I don't even consider it music.

by Anonymousreply 4March 18, 2013 1:20 AM

It certainly isn't music. It is not poetry. Those who promote it usually can't scratch their names in the dirt with a stick.

by Anonymousreply 5March 18, 2013 1:25 AM

It's just noise, like traffic jams or heavy construction sounds, only far worse.

by Anonymousreply 6March 18, 2013 1:35 AM

I love it. If you really listen, it moves you in ways that you'll never understand. I've discovered that people my parents' age mid 40s and up don't really connect with it. My Mom and Dad are Kurt Cobain kids and their angst played out differently in their music.

by Anonymousreply 7March 18, 2013 1:41 AM

I hate a lot of it, mostly the rappers that only rap about money in a non-ironic way.

But there is a lot that I like. I do like Eminem, and my favorite is Spank Rock:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8March 18, 2013 1:42 AM

Kid Cudi is also really talented:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9March 18, 2013 1:44 AM

There is a time and place for it, but it'd sure be nice if the aficionados would ditch the booming car thing. That's so 20 yrs. ago it's like a form of retardation.

by Anonymousreply 10March 18, 2013 1:46 AM

I used to hate all rap music as a teen, but then I became more open-minded. It's still not one of my favourite genres, but there are lots of songs I enjoy.

Generally, the focus of the music is not to be beautiful, but to have a certain energy, so if you're expecting the former you'll often be disappointed.

But here's a good rap song that should appeal to those who look for beauty in their music:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11March 18, 2013 1:58 AM

And here's the polar opposite - very abrasive and powerful:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12March 18, 2013 2:02 AM

And finally something in between:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13March 18, 2013 2:03 AM

Timmy went deaf by the age 18 from listening to LOUD ROCK MUSIC. He RUINED HIS LIFE. Is that what YOU want?

by Anonymousreply 14March 18, 2013 2:03 AM

This thread is drenched in white privilege.

by Anonymousreply 15March 18, 2013 2:18 AM

Rickey Smiley loves "Bonecrusher."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16March 18, 2013 2:24 AM

True R15, but rap is drenched in patriarchal privelige.

by Anonymousreply 17March 18, 2013 2:28 AM

R15 White privilege is nothing but black failure.

by Anonymousreply 18March 18, 2013 2:33 AM

What does "white privilege" mean in the context of this thread?

I am baffled.

by Anonymousreply 19March 18, 2013 2:36 AM

Wait a minute, it's racist to dislike rap music, really? What if most of your favorite artists are R&B, is that white privilege too? Wow, who knew racism was so petty, I thought it was about discrimination, but apparently it's about thought police telling you what music you're allowed to like and dislike.

by Anonymousreply 20March 18, 2013 2:36 AM

R15, which race would that be, because I don't read anyone mentioning color or race here.

by Anonymousreply 21March 18, 2013 4:14 AM

The music scene today is terrible. That is why rap/hip hop is so powerful. It rises above the shit and is the only music today that actually has talent behind it. No autotune, no outside songwriters. Just pure talent and emotion from the heart.

I am not a person to scream "Racist!", but I think that if a person hates ALL rap/hip hop that racism plays a part. Today's rap is better than the old school stuff. The old stuff was silly ("Funky Cole Madina", "Toilet Stool Rap", anyone?). The modern stuff is real life and real emotions.

That is why the average hip hop CD sells 5-10 million copies. Because it's real! Your Lady Gaga is fake autotuned noise. Metallica is fake autotuned noise. One Direction, the same. Mariah Carey, the same! Lil Wayne, Kid Cudi, Eminem, etc. are the saviors of modern music.

by Anonymousreply 22March 19, 2013 2:13 PM

Love the blues, soul, Motown, Atlantic records.

Smokey and the Miracles, Aretha, Ray, Temps, Gladys, Ella, Louis, Nat... love them all, and more. Love(d) Leontyn Price.

Cannot stand rap. Only thing I can say about it, is I hear the anger. I also think anyone can learn to do it. It's more like a sport than an artistic expression.

by Anonymousreply 23March 19, 2013 2:17 PM

Kid Cudi? You've got to be kidding.

Or you're 16 years old.

by Anonymousreply 24March 19, 2013 2:20 PM

My partner loves it and I like a bit of it (yeah, Drake and Jayzee, pretty whitewashed stuff). He likes the hardcore stuff. I just don't get it. Life is hard, why spend all your time seeing who can come up with the meanest story?

by Anonymousreply 25March 19, 2013 2:24 PM

Yeah rapping about your cars and chains is REAL >.>

by Anonymousreply 26March 19, 2013 2:24 PM

R25, if you were talking to me, I was talking about the songs about little brother getting gunned down in front of the church, stuff like that, not cars and chains.

by Anonymousreply 27March 19, 2013 2:38 PM

You have to admit rap is better than rock. Rock is nothing but a bunch of stoned-out white racists playing air guitar in the parking lot. Rock is the worst thing to ever happen to music. Rap is at least real.

by Anonymousreply 28March 19, 2013 2:55 PM

It's like folk music to street animals.

by Anonymousreply 29March 19, 2013 2:56 PM

Okay, that is racist, but it I might say folk music to street criminals.

by Anonymousreply 30March 19, 2013 2:59 PM

yes

by Anonymousreply 31March 19, 2013 3:05 PM

Rap music is just a way for black guys who have no talent or conscience to make millions.

by Anonymousreply 32March 19, 2013 3:07 PM

recent rap lyrics by mr. rick ross:

"she a pussy ho, pussy ho, she a pussy ho until she give me pussy, ho."

yep, lots of import there. profound even.

by Anonymousreply 33March 19, 2013 3:14 PM

I'm black and i Hate it... its hackjob of real music via samples may be good to shake ur booty at the club but to be released as an album? Blasted all over the airwaves day in and day out? HELL NO

by Anonymousreply 34March 19, 2013 3:50 PM

In an enlightened society, r15 would be executed.

by Anonymousreply 35March 19, 2013 3:53 PM

It is clearly an age thing. The same people who are bitching about rap, got their Elvis records bashed when they were kids. And where age isn't a factor, location usually plays a huge role.

by Anonymousreply 36March 19, 2013 3:59 PM

Most of these rappers sell their soul, so is don't listen to this garbage.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37March 19, 2013 3:59 PM

I agree with R34 that heavy metal is the white version of rap. Soulless noice.

by Anonymousreply 38March 19, 2013 4:00 PM

Same for white country singers, R32.

by Anonymousreply 39March 19, 2013 4:00 PM

I hate rap for the same reason I hate country; It sounds ignorant. It's mostly the accent and speech patterns. And the fact that with rap, there's almost never actual melody.

by Anonymousreply 40March 19, 2013 4:03 PM

As a counterpoint, here's some rap that I actually like. Notice the lack of ignorant lowlife accents. Problem solved.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41March 19, 2013 4:06 PM

I don't particularly like country 39, but I think the lyrics are pretty inoffensive and it does require some singing capability. The better comparison is Heavy Metal, like R34 suggested.

by Anonymousreply 42March 19, 2013 4:07 PM

What R4 said.

by Anonymousreply 43March 19, 2013 4:09 PM

Yes. Same goes for heavy metal, though.

by Anonymousreply 44March 19, 2013 4:11 PM

Oh come on, none of you like L'Trimm?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45March 19, 2013 4:11 PM

I hate all music except that by talented artists. Make fun of me if you will, but Barbra, Bette, Liza, Judy and Diana Ross are timeless and inoffensive. Music should make one feel good.

by Anonymousreply 46March 19, 2013 4:14 PM

Public Enemy put out two very good albums last year.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47March 19, 2013 4:18 PM

I agree, R42, it is a better comparison.

by Anonymousreply 48March 19, 2013 4:26 PM

I agree heavy metal is a good comparison, but why are people not complaining about metal?

by Anonymousreply 49March 19, 2013 4:28 PM

Because heavy metal is such a fringe genre, R49, whereas rap is not.

by Anonymousreply 50March 19, 2013 4:33 PM

I love early rap: Sugarhill Gang, Kool Moe Dee, Run DMC, etc.

And I was obsessed with De La Soul and a Tribe Called Quest. Early Public Enemy too.

The closest any group has come to any of the above is Cannibal Ox. There stuff is like jazz: trippy, offbeat, almost surreal.

Also: Madvillain, Quasimoto (same guy really) and Dr. Octagon.

None of the gangster shit does anything for me. There is nothing lyrical or interesting at all about it. It's totally stupid, uninspired and appeals to the lowest common denominator. Also reinforces the stereotype that blacks are violent, trashy, uneducated etc,

by Anonymousreply 51March 19, 2013 4:34 PM

[quote]It is clearly an age thing.

As though rap is something new and fresh. It's VERY OLD now and just seems to refuse to go away.

There should be a 'death to rap' thing, like what they did to disco.

by Anonymousreply 52March 19, 2013 4:37 PM

Exactly, rap has been pushed on the public for my entire life. It's cultural rot propaganda enabled by the corporate entertainment machine.

by Anonymousreply 53March 19, 2013 4:42 PM

Rap is crap and always was.

by Anonymousreply 54March 19, 2013 4:45 PM

I love rap and hip hop. It is about the only thing I listen to. As well as alternative rock. Masculine music only, dude.

by Anonymousreply 55March 19, 2013 4:49 PM

I don't like the hiphop culture at all. It just glorifies ignorance and most of it is made-for-retards.

I will say, though, some of the 90s rap was great. I only really know the commercial stuff (2Pac, Biggie, DMX, Lil Kim, and most other big names), but you have to admit some of those people could be really funny and creative in their use of language, especially the diss tracks.

The stuff they put out nowadays is a good waste of energy...

by Anonymousreply 56March 19, 2013 4:54 PM

[quote]Masculine music only, dude

Something tells me you are far from being masculine yourself.

by Anonymousreply 57March 19, 2013 4:56 PM

The early rap was good, today's rap is garbage.

by Anonymousreply 58March 19, 2013 4:59 PM

NIGGERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 59March 19, 2013 5:05 PM

[quote]The early rap was good, today's rap is garbage.

It was OK, something new.

Now it's been around soooooooooo looooooooong.

It's been great for people who have no musical talent to make a lot of money and call themselves musicians.

It annoys me when they even have the cheek to sample some great old song. Not only do they make crap but they do their best to plunder and spoil classic songs of the past, as well.

It's a complete con.

Many black people in America used to take so much pride in Aretha & Stevie & Marvin and a zillion other geniuses and rightly so.

by Anonymousreply 60March 19, 2013 5:22 PM

Oh it's "fringe" I see.

Thanks.

by Anonymousreply 61March 19, 2013 11:41 PM

pure crap soaked up by the dregs of society

by Anonymousreply 62March 20, 2013 12:52 AM

It's really perplexing how ANYONE can enjoy this crap and espouse its virtues when there is nothing interesting or musical about it except the clever use of samples and pretty good background music. Rhyming to a beat isn't talent.

by Anonymousreply 63May 12, 2013 5:14 PM

2 months, R63? Really.

Racist troll.

by Anonymousreply 64May 12, 2013 6:24 PM

I love hip hop!

by Anonymousreply 65January 27, 2015 3:12 PM

Who is bumping all of these ridiculously old threads today?

by Anonymousreply 66January 27, 2015 3:27 PM

If you buy a musical instrument like a bass drum and just beat a steady rhythm, hour after hour, all day long, it's not music, it's noise. Though it's a musical instrument, you're only producing noise.

Rap isn't music. It's noise.

by Anonymousreply 67January 27, 2015 3:55 PM

Hip Hop is the poetry of a generation, it's from the streets and is the single most IMPORTANT musical movement of all time, there are many things worse than Rap for instance '80s Synth Pop (soulless, performed with no passion), Heavy Medal (screaming devil worship music that requires NO talent in playing or singing), Country & Western (barn dance hillbilly ignorance). Vagina Pop like Barry Manalow, Madonna, Celine Dion etc. Just pap for middle age rich white ladys. Hip Hop speaks to the masses about poilitics injustice government control etc. It is of dire and immediate importance. I have been a fan for life since I was 4 years old back in the days of Dr. Dre and Jay Z. There will never be another phenomenon like it. It became bigger than rock and roll in the 50s and 60s, bigger than disco in the 80s, bigger than Madonna in the 90s. It will live forever.

by Anonymousreply 68January 27, 2015 5:23 PM

I'm willing to consider it an art form, but music? Definitely not.

by Anonymousreply 69January 27, 2015 5:27 PM

[quote] It became bigger than rock and roll in the 50s and 60s

Nonsense.

by Anonymousreply 70January 27, 2015 5:28 PM

There's a minstrel show quality about it that some whites like and find reassuring. It sounds low-life and ignorant: just what they expect.

by Anonymousreply 71January 27, 2015 5:41 PM

OTOH, r71 it is often the first introduction young people have to the fact of racial injustice.

When you're young you don't always know all the logic of an argument or have real life experience, but kids also have great BS detectors.

When I heard this for the first time, I realized that they were being honest about what was in front of them. I know it sounds corny, but I started to read about LA, then black/white in America in general after this.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 72January 28, 2015 12:48 AM

And thennnnn...

The Beastie Boys.

(Those sorts can't keep their hands off anything, can they?)

by Anonymousreply 73January 28, 2015 1:07 AM

I love the vibe, the attitude

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 74September 7, 2020 3:31 PM

Trap is the theme genre of assholes. Every time you hear it, know that a horrible person is about to make an entrance.

by Anonymousreply 75September 7, 2020 4:04 PM

Rap music is just noise.

Opera singing is just screeching.

Jazz music s just masturbating.

Rock music is too unsophisticated.

Heard it all before.

by Anonymousreply 76September 7, 2020 8:39 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!