Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Do you think rap music sounds horrible

I don't know how it could be considered music.

by Anonymousreply 7301/27/2015

For the most part, yes. But some rappers do have legitimate talent, I just prefer to hear them rapping over dance tracks. As a guest rapper, with a real singer to sing most of it.

by Anonymousreply 103/17/2013

Flo Rida is just about the best of the bunch, to my way of thinking.

by Anonymousreply 203/17/2013

Is that you??????????

by Anonymousreply 303/17/2013

I don't even consider it music.

by Anonymousreply 403/17/2013

It certainly isn't music. It is not poetry. Those who promote it usually can't scratch their names in the dirt with a stick.

by Anonymousreply 503/17/2013

It's just noise, like traffic jams or heavy construction sounds, only far worse.

by Anonymousreply 603/17/2013

I love it. If you really listen, it moves you in ways that you'll never understand. I've discovered that people my parents' age mid 40s and up don't really connect with it. My Mom and Dad are Kurt Cobain kids and their angst played out differently in their music.

by Anonymousreply 703/17/2013

I hate a lot of it, mostly the rappers that only rap about money in a non-ironic way.

But there is a lot that I like. I do like Eminem, and my favorite is Spank Rock:

by Anonymousreply 803/17/2013

Kid Cudi is also really talented:

by Anonymousreply 903/17/2013

There is a time and place for it, but it'd sure be nice if the aficionados would ditch the booming car thing. That's so 20 yrs. ago it's like a form of retardation.

by Anonymousreply 1003/17/2013

I used to hate all rap music as a teen, but then I became more open-minded. It's still not one of my favourite genres, but there are lots of songs I enjoy.

Generally, the focus of the music is not to be beautiful, but to have a certain energy, so if you're expecting the former you'll often be disappointed.

But here's a good rap song that should appeal to those who look for beauty in their music:

by Anonymousreply 1103/17/2013

And here's the polar opposite - very abrasive and powerful:

by Anonymousreply 1203/17/2013

And finally something in between:

by Anonymousreply 1303/17/2013

Timmy went deaf by the age 18 from listening to LOUD ROCK MUSIC. He RUINED HIS LIFE. Is that what YOU want?

by Anonymousreply 1403/17/2013

This thread is drenched in white privilege.

by Anonymousreply 1503/17/2013

Rickey Smiley loves "Bonecrusher."

by Anonymousreply 1603/17/2013

True R15, but rap is drenched in patriarchal privelige.

by Anonymousreply 1703/17/2013

R15 White privilege is nothing but black failure.

by Anonymousreply 1803/17/2013

What does "white privilege" mean in the context of this thread?

I am baffled.

by Anonymousreply 1903/17/2013

Wait a minute, it's racist to dislike rap music, really? What if most of your favorite artists are R&B, is that white privilege too? Wow, who knew racism was so petty, I thought it was about discrimination, but apparently it's about thought police telling you what music you're allowed to like and dislike.

by Anonymousreply 2003/17/2013

R15, which race would that be, because I don't read anyone mentioning color or race here.

by Anonymousreply 2103/18/2013

The music scene today is terrible. That is why rap/hip hop is so powerful. It rises above the shit and is the only music today that actually has talent behind it. No autotune, no outside songwriters. Just pure talent and emotion from the heart.

I am not a person to scream "Racist!", but I think that if a person hates ALL rap/hip hop that racism plays a part. Today's rap is better than the old school stuff. The old stuff was silly ("Funky Cole Madina", "Toilet Stool Rap", anyone?). The modern stuff is real life and real emotions.

That is why the average hip hop CD sells 5-10 million copies. Because it's real! Your Lady Gaga is fake autotuned noise. Metallica is fake autotuned noise. One Direction, the same. Mariah Carey, the same! Lil Wayne, Kid Cudi, Eminem, etc. are the saviors of modern music.

by Anonymousreply 2203/19/2013

Love the blues, soul, Motown, Atlantic records.

Smokey and the Miracles, Aretha, Ray, Temps, Gladys, Ella, Louis, Nat... love them all, and more. Love(d) Leontyn Price.

Cannot stand rap. Only thing I can say about it, is I hear the anger. I also think anyone can learn to do it. It's more like a sport than an artistic expression.

by Anonymousreply 2303/19/2013

Kid Cudi? You've got to be kidding.

Or you're 16 years old.

by Anonymousreply 2403/19/2013

My partner loves it and I like a bit of it (yeah, Drake and Jayzee, pretty whitewashed stuff). He likes the hardcore stuff. I just don't get it. Life is hard, why spend all your time seeing who can come up with the meanest story?

by Anonymousreply 2503/19/2013

Yeah rapping about your cars and chains is REAL >.>

by Anonymousreply 2603/19/2013

R25, if you were talking to me, I was talking about the songs about little brother getting gunned down in front of the church, stuff like that, not cars and chains.

by Anonymousreply 2703/19/2013

You have to admit rap is better than rock. Rock is nothing but a bunch of stoned-out white racists playing air guitar in the parking lot. Rock is the worst thing to ever happen to music. Rap is at least real.

by Anonymousreply 2803/19/2013

Okay, that is racist, but it I might say folk music to street criminals.

by Anonymousreply 3003/19/2013

by Anonymousreply 3103/19/2013

Rap music is just a way for black guys who have no talent or conscience to make millions.

by Anonymousreply 3203/19/2013

recent rap lyrics by mr. rick ross:

"she a pussy ho, pussy ho, she a pussy ho until she give me pussy, ho."

yep, lots of import there. profound even.

by Anonymousreply 3303/19/2013

I'm black and i Hate it... its hackjob of real music via samples may be good to shake ur booty at the club but to be released as an album? Blasted all over the airwaves day in and day out? HELL NO

by Anonymousreply 3403/19/2013

In an enlightened society, r15 would be executed.

by Anonymousreply 3503/19/2013

It is clearly an age thing. The same people who are bitching about rap, got their Elvis records bashed when they were kids. And where age isn't a factor, location usually plays a huge role.

by Anonymousreply 3603/19/2013

Most of these rappers sell their soul, so is don't listen to this garbage.

by Anonymousreply 3703/19/2013

I agree with R34 that heavy metal is the white version of rap. Soulless noice.

by Anonymousreply 3803/19/2013

Same for white country singers, R32.

by Anonymousreply 3903/19/2013

I hate rap for the same reason I hate country; It sounds ignorant. It's mostly the accent and speech patterns. And the fact that with rap, there's almost never actual melody.

by Anonymousreply 4003/19/2013

As a counterpoint, here's some rap that I actually like. Notice the lack of ignorant lowlife accents. Problem solved.

by Anonymousreply 4103/19/2013

I don't particularly like country 39, but I think the lyrics are pretty inoffensive and it does require some singing capability. The better comparison is Heavy Metal, like R34 suggested.

by Anonymousreply 4203/19/2013

What R4 said.

by Anonymousreply 4303/19/2013

Yes. Same goes for heavy metal, though.

by Anonymousreply 4403/19/2013

Oh come on, none of you like L'Trimm?

by Anonymousreply 4503/19/2013

I hate all music except that by talented artists. Make fun of me if you will, but Barbra, Bette, Liza, Judy and Diana Ross are timeless and inoffensive. Music should make one feel good.

by Anonymousreply 4603/19/2013

Public Enemy put out two very good albums last year.

by Anonymousreply 4703/19/2013

I agree, R42, it is a better comparison.

by Anonymousreply 4803/19/2013

I agree heavy metal is a good comparison, but why are people not complaining about metal?

by Anonymousreply 4903/19/2013

Because heavy metal is such a fringe genre, R49, whereas rap is not.

by Anonymousreply 5003/19/2013

I love early rap: Sugarhill Gang, Kool Moe Dee, Run DMC, etc.

And I was obsessed with De La Soul and a Tribe Called Quest. Early Public Enemy too.

The closest any group has come to any of the above is Cannibal Ox. There stuff is like jazz: trippy, offbeat, almost surreal.

Also: Madvillain, Quasimoto (same guy really) and Dr. Octagon.

None of the gangster shit does anything for me. There is nothing lyrical or interesting at all about it. It's totally stupid, uninspired and appeals to the lowest common denominator. Also reinforces the stereotype that blacks are violent, trashy, uneducated etc,

by Anonymousreply 5103/19/2013

[quote]It is clearly an age thing.

As though rap is something new and fresh. It's VERY OLD now and just seems to refuse to go away.

There should be a 'death to rap' thing, like what they did to disco.

by Anonymousreply 5203/19/2013

Exactly, rap has been pushed on the public for my entire life. It's cultural rot propaganda enabled by the corporate entertainment machine.

by Anonymousreply 5303/19/2013

Rap is crap and always was.

by Anonymousreply 5403/19/2013

I love rap and hip hop. It is about the only thing I listen to. As well as alternative rock. Masculine music only, dude.

by Anonymousreply 5503/19/2013

I don't like the hiphop culture at all. It just glorifies ignorance and most of it is made-for-retards.

I will say, though, some of the 90s rap was great. I only really know the commercial stuff (2Pac, Biggie, DMX, Lil Kim, and most other big names), but you have to admit some of those people could be really funny and creative in their use of language, especially the diss tracks.

The stuff they put out nowadays is a good waste of energy...

by Anonymousreply 5603/19/2013

[quote]Masculine music only, dude

Something tells me you are far from being masculine yourself.

by Anonymousreply 5703/19/2013

The early rap was good, today's rap is garbage.

by Anonymousreply 5803/19/2013

[quote]The early rap was good, today's rap is garbage.

It was OK, something new.

Now it's been around soooooooooo looooooooong.

It's been great for people who have no musical talent to make a lot of money and call themselves musicians.

It annoys me when they even have the cheek to sample some great old song. Not only do they make crap but they do their best to plunder and spoil classic songs of the past, as well.

It's a complete con.

Many black people in America used to take so much pride in Aretha & Stevie & Marvin and a zillion other geniuses and rightly so.

by Anonymousreply 6003/19/2013

Oh it's "fringe" I see.

by Anonymousreply 6103/19/2013

pure crap soaked up by the dregs of society

by Anonymousreply 6203/19/2013

It's really perplexing how ANYONE can enjoy this crap and espouse its virtues when there is nothing interesting or musical about it except the clever use of samples and pretty good background music. Rhyming to a beat isn't talent.

by Anonymousreply 6305/12/2013

2 months, R63? Really.

Racist troll.

by Anonymousreply 6405/12/2013

I love hip hop!

by Anonymousreply 6501/27/2015

Who is bumping all of these ridiculously old threads today?

by Anonymousreply 6601/27/2015

If you buy a musical instrument like a bass drum and just beat a steady rhythm, hour after hour, all day long, it's not music, it's noise. Though it's a musical instrument, you're only producing noise.

Rap isn't music. It's noise.

by Anonymousreply 6701/27/2015

Hip Hop is the poetry of a generation, it's from the streets and is the single most IMPORTANT musical movement of all time, there are many things worse than Rap for instance '80s Synth Pop (soulless, performed with no passion), Heavy Medal (screaming devil worship music that requires NO talent in playing or singing), Country & Western (barn dance hillbilly ignorance). Vagina Pop like Barry Manalow, Madonna, Celine Dion etc. Just pap for middle age rich white ladys. Hip Hop speaks to the masses about poilitics injustice government control etc. It is of dire and immediate importance. I have been a fan for life since I was 4 years old back in the days of Dr. Dre and Jay Z. There will never be another phenomenon like it. It became bigger than rock and roll in the 50s and 60s, bigger than disco in the 80s, bigger than Madonna in the 90s. It will live forever.

by Anonymousreply 6801/27/2015

I'm willing to consider it an art form, but music? Definitely not.

by Anonymousreply 6901/27/2015

[quote] It became bigger than rock and roll in the 50s and 60s

by Anonymousreply 7001/27/2015

There's a minstrel show quality about it that some whites like and find reassuring. It sounds low-life and ignorant: just what they expect.

by Anonymousreply 7101/27/2015

OTOH, r71 it is often the first introduction young people have to the fact of racial injustice.

When you're young you don't always know all the logic of an argument or have real life experience, but kids also have great BS detectors.

When I heard this for the first time, I realized that they were being honest about what was in front of them. I know it sounds corny, but I started to read about LA, then black/white in America in general after this.

by Anonymousreply 7201/27/2015
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!