Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Do you have a chip on your shoulder about being "ethnic"?

Like whenever your background is mentioned you have to assert yourself and say things like, "Excuse me?" or "I think I've been [blank] longer than you have!"?

by Anonymousreply 2003/18/2013

Pretty much describes me. I have low self-esteem because of it. Many times while I was walking on the street, random people come up to me when to ask for directions and they would ask me if I spoke English first.

Once this guy came up to me and he's like "Do. You. Speak. English?" Like I was retarded or something. Racism is not as bad here as in Europe, but I really wish I was white. You'd feel authentic and like you belong.

by Anonymousreply 203/17/2013

In a way, but not in the way you're implying, OP.

Basically, I go out my way to be really nice and respectful for the most part; however, if I'm out at a club, I go out of my way to appear inaccessible. I want to be approached, but out of the fear of being judged, I give off a vibe that pretty much discourages people from initiating conversation (I only talk to my friends and if they leave, I pretend to be interested in my phone).

by Anonymousreply 303/17/2013

I'm Serbian and when the subject comes up, usually in a not nice way, I make no mention of it. I pass for Bulgarian...

by Anonymousreply 403/17/2013

No, I don't think so...but I am very pale, brown eyed, red haired (Scottish ancestry) and get sick of all the Irish stereotypes that get thrown at me, particularly around this time of year. No one understands geography, like Scotland is very different from Ireland.

by Anonymousreply 503/17/2013

I resent having been brought up Catholic. I think religion is responsible for much of what's wrong in the world, and Catholicism is one of the major evildoers. My life might have been better if I'd been born Jewish.

by Anonymousreply 603/17/2013

Excuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuse me!

by Anonymousreply 703/18/2013

It depends how and why my ethnicity is brought up. When I take offense I do so for a reason and not because I have a chip on my shoulder.

by Anonymousreply 803/18/2013

Not about being ethnic but I do have a chip on my shoulder about idiots who seem to have much more than I do. Today's society rewards mediocrity and idiocy. I hate it.

by Anonymousreply 903/18/2013

I have caftans on my shoulders

earrings - Natch!

by Anonymousreply 1003/18/2013

I never have issues with the ethnics until they ask if I'm a Jew.

by Anonymousreply 1103/18/2013

R9. Maybe they aren't the idiot?

by Anonymousreply 1203/18/2013

Yeah, you're right R9. Paris Hilton, Kim Kardashian, et al are all rocket scientists. Kudos to you for pointing that out to me.

by Anonymousreply 1303/18/2013

Meant R12. Damn this day!

by Anonymousreply 1403/18/2013

It's an issue for me, being "Indian" aka Native in Canada, where a lot of usually polite Canadians suddenly become openly racist re: aboriginal peoples. And it's an accepted practice. It's okay to hate "Indians" up here, but not okay to hat any other race.

by Anonymousreply 1503/18/2013

I'm ethnically ambiguous and the only "chip" I have is I get sick and tired of being treated like a freak show and get tired of hearing "What's you background? What's your nationality? Are you this? Are you that?". I'm a fucking human being and get so sick of this shit. I swear, if your ethnicity isn't obvious, then it's like you're a sideshow freak. I'm happy with who and what I am, I'm just sick of everyone else and their stupid comments.

by Anonymousreply 1603/18/2013

I'm black, have no issues at all being black.

I'm fine with it, think I'm attractive, and know that I'm intelligent.

It's all about what other people project onto my ethnicity. I know that people think that we just walk around looking for perceived slights and blaming everything on our ethnicity, but that's not true either. Very few of my personal problems have anything to do with being a black male.

Now if people want to ignore me, act afraid of me, etc etc that says more about them than me. I'm just living my life.

I feel really sorry for r2. I mean that's just pathetic. I could never, ever, EVER look in the mirror and not love who I am or wish I was someone I'm not. I'm sure he's on the hunt for a white boyfriend to validate his existence, no doubt.

by Anonymousreply 1703/18/2013

[quote]I'm Serbian and when the subject comes up, usually in a not nice way, I make no mention of it. I pass for Bulgarian...

If it helps, I wouldn't know the difference or know why that difference matters.

by Anonymousreply 1803/18/2013

[quote]Paris Hilton, Kim Kardashian, et al are all rocket scientists. Kudos to you for pointing that out to me.

You need to quit living your life jealous of other people. It's very unflattering.

by Anonymousreply 1903/18/2013

OP, sounds like YOU have a chip on your shoulder about being remedial.

by Anonymousreply 2003/18/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!