Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Finian's Rainbow on TCM

One of my favorite musicals, although the movie version (directed by Coppola, of all people) is less than perfect. But such a great score! It was one of the first musicals I ever saw on stage (a high school production in 1969!) I saw the most recent Broadway revival a couple of years ago. It had (justifiably) great reviews but closed way too soon.

As for the movie, Fred Astaire was fun, and I liked Petula as well. Don Francks wasn't much of a singer, but he was hot.

by Anonymousreply 1405/18/2013

Don Francks had an incredible hairy chest. But the hair on his head looked like a wig to me.

by Anonymousreply 103/17/2013

Tommy Steele flames big time

by Anonymousreply 203/17/2013

I played Mr. Robust in my high school's production (10th grade, 1983).

by Anonymousreply 303/17/2013

They did the show at all my all-white junior high school in the 1960s but I'll be damned if I can remember how they got around the black issue (and characters).

Of course, it was my first exposure to the material so I didn't miss what wasn't there.

by Anonymousreply 403/17/2013

The high school where I first saw it in 1969 was all-white, too, I believe (not segregated, just the demographics of the area.) And I have no idea how they dealt with the race issue.

by Anonymousreply 503/18/2013

Its a very silly musical, but Petula is terrific here, I wish now I had seen her touring in The sound of Music and Sunset Boulevard when I had the chance, and her new album at age 80 is terrific too, unlike Julie Andrews Pet still has that voice and its as good as ever. That new slow version of 'Downtown' is amazing.

Back to the movie, Tommy Steele is a pain, its very old-fashioned but has that late 60s vibe.

by Anonymousreply 603/18/2013

Like the movie but not a fan of the slowed down pop orchestrations for "Old Devil Moon." I understand why they did it (original too 40's sounding) but I still prefer it over the movie version.

by Anonymousreply 703/18/2013

The OBC album has gorgeous orchestrations but Ella Logan's ponderous overly-enunciated Irish accent and the golly-gosh intonations of whoever plays Woody (what's his name?) are both acquired tastes. It tok me awhile to appreciate their Old Devil Moon.

David Wayne as Og the Leprechaun, however, is consistently delightful. Also, that fabulous black diva who bellows out Necessity shines.

Are there any other decent recordings of it besides the film soundtrack?

by Anonymousreply 803/18/2013

Yes R8- the 1960 City Center revival (RCA) with Jeannie Carson, Biff McGuire and Howard Morris. That is the recording that I grew up with. It did come out on CD.

And you can't go wrong with the recent Encores! revival recording (PS Classics) with Cheyenne Jackson, Kate Baldwin and Jim Norton. I believe it's the most complete of all the recordings and it uses the original orchestrations.

by Anonymousreply 903/18/2013

[quote]Ella Logan's ponderous overly-enunciated Irish accent

Really distracting.

by Anonymousreply 1003/21/2013

Didn't Merv Griffin play either Woody or Og in some production (or on some recording?)

by Anonymousreply 1103/21/2013

OP here. Forgot to mention that I also saw the Reprise (LA's version of Encores) production with Andrea Marcovicci, Rex Smith and Malcolm Gets.

And I have the 2009 recording, as well as the 2004 off-Broadway version (which has a bare piano accompaniment.)

by Anonymousreply 1203/21/2013

I grew up in a small all-white town and the high school did this in the early '80s. They basically had a number of the students in black face (not in the exaggerated minstrel style, but definitely a darker make-up). I am guessing it would not be done like that today, but having black characters is integral to the plot.

by Anonymousreply 1303/21/2013

by Anonymousreply 1405/18/2013
Need more help? Click Here.