Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

What is it with HBO's incredibly depressing documentaries?

First it was the documentary about the sociopath pre-teen boy who tormented his family for years before jumping out the window of his Manhattan midrise. That sent me into a tailspin for about a week.

Now they are showing a documentary about Oregon's assisted suicide law. Watching this documentary is literally like looking death in the face.

I don't think I have ever seen a single uplifting documentary on HBO -- ever!

by Anonymousreply 4301/05/2015

Was the family relieved?

by Anonymousreply 303/17/2013

What if you had a sociopathic child and felt like this kid would eventually do a lot of harm? Would you kill that kid?

by Anonymousreply 403/17/2013

Sure, why not?

by Anonymousreply 503/17/2013

What about ME bitches?!!

by Anonymousreply 603/17/2013

Happy documentaries are usually boring.

by Anonymousreply 703/17/2013

What about Spellbound? You could say it's unhappy, in that only one of the kids involved could end up being the winner of the national spelling bee, but it also shows these smart, less-than-mainstream kids being pretty happy with themselves and their abilities.

by Anonymousreply 803/17/2013

Not to mention Beyonce.

by Anonymousreply 903/17/2013

by Anonymousreply 1003/17/2013

R7 is right.

And anyway, it shouldn't be the purpose of a doc or a regular movie to be "uplifting" - although the documentary "The Tsunami and the Cherry Blossom" [italic]did[/italic] end on a feeling of hopefulness.

And the Birders documentary was pretty chirpy.

by Anonymousreply 1103/17/2013

What's the name of the first one?

by Anonymousreply 1203/17/2013

R12 -- 'Boy, Interrupted'.

It was really and truly harrowing. Mostly because it was shot and produced by the boy's parents themselves. They were film editors by trade. Which adds an interesting layer to the narrative. Totally bleak and nihilist outlook.

by Anonymousreply 1303/17/2013

There's Something About Diane was very intense. Hard to watch knowing the outcome and that the last image of her in the film was her mangled, burned, broken body after the head on collision.

by Anonymousreply 1403/17/2013

I still don't believe Aunt Diane would have carted those children around while she was drunk...I will never believe it. I think she had an infected tooth which caused her brain to malfunction because of a high fever.

by Anonymousreply 1503/17/2013

by Anonymousreply 1603/17/2013

I think MSNBC are going to have a documentary on the Iraq war tonight. It will tell us how the Bush administration screwed over the American people, while murdering 150 thousand citizens in Iraq. I wish everyone would watch it.

by Anonymousreply 1703/17/2013

[quote] who's puppy died

Oh, dear.

by Anonymousreply 1803/17/2013

Oregon has an assisted suicide law but wouldn't legalize pot? What a world. What a world.

by Anonymousreply 1903/17/2013

"Children of Chernobyl" makes the rest of these look light and frothy.

by Anonymousreply 2003/18/2013

Sheila Nevins has always had an agenda. Apparently we're paying now for her menopausal fits.

by Anonymousreply 2103/18/2013

I tried watching that on youtube and couldn't watch beyond the first 10 minutes, R20. Heartbreaking.

by Anonymousreply 2203/18/2013

That movie Wanderlust does a great sendup of the genre. Jennifer Anniston does a doc about polar bears with testicular cancer that's too depressing even for HBO. The movie is sort of meh tho. Better than expected I guess.

by Anonymousreply 2303/18/2013

I told them to be quiet.

by Anonymousreply 2403/18/2013

That "Boy Interrupted" was just ridiculous. The kid was practically sending up flares and the parents just wrote it off. I saw it years ago and was wondering what the fuck was wrong with the self indulgent parents who seemed to care only about making a documentary. he was doing suicide play when he was like 6 or 7 years old, playing with a noose and saying he was going to kill himself..

by Anonymousreply 2503/18/2013

I'm glad you stopped there, R22. I wish I had -- and I'm not easily rattled.

I felt the same way about Boy, Interrupted, R25. The whole thing felt contrived and the parents were self-obsessed. What did they THINK was going to happen when he was taken off his mood-stabilizing drugs?

by Anonymousreply 2603/18/2013

I find "Boy Interrupted" absolutely mesmerizing.

Since I'm bipolar too and in the throes of a depressive episode right now (silly me stopped taking his meds one year ago, because you know, people with bipolar disorder always end up going off them anyway because you are so sick with the side effects and since you have not experienced the highs or lows for such a long time that you think you are "cured"), I wonder if watching that documentary on a loop is like experiencing suicide by proxy (which would be good) or if it is going to lead me to suicide (which would at least put me out of my current misery).

However, the film offers another perspective on suicide: that of the loving ones who all talk of being irreversibly mutilated (there is two suicides in the documentary: it should be called "Boys Interrupted"). And I'm not sick enough to not aknowledge this reversed perspective.

Whatever, terrific but harrowing documentary.

by Anonymousreply 2701/02/2015

I told those kids to be quiet.

by Anonymousreply 2801/02/2015

Well there was that Vogue editors doc that was frothy and light...

by Anonymousreply 2901/02/2015

They need to take a page out of TLC's schedule. HBO should have shows like Here Comes Honey Boo Boo.

by Anonymousreply 3001/02/2015

R27, take your fucking meds. Seriously. You owe it to society. If I were in charge, I would have a program in place to monitor people like you for adherence to your regimen. You're just too fucking dangerous to others around you when you go off your meds. As a victim of an irrational bi-polar friend, I can tell you that it makes my stomach churn when hear that you're cycling off your meds. I'm terribly sorry that you are sad and depressed, but it is an illness that you can at least manage if your have your meds on board - so spare me the sob story.

by Anonymousreply 3101/02/2015

PSYOPS to depress the population as a whole, one of the major agendas of the entertainment industry as orchestrated by Tavistock

by Anonymousreply 3201/02/2015

OP, did you watch the "VICE" half-hour documentary series?

It was EXCELLENT. But also unrelentingly depressing.

by Anonymousreply 3301/02/2015

I love them and talk about them all the time.

by Anonymousreply 3401/02/2015

I'm waiting for "The Assassination of Valerie Cherish"

I hear it's terribly depressing

by Anonymousreply 3501/02/2015

[You do realize that this is a troll, right? It does not believe what it posts. It just craves attention. You might want to stop talking to it.]

by Anonymousreply 3601/02/2015

The recent doc on Susan Sontag portrayed her as a see you next Tuesday in her personal relationships and as a mother.

by Anonymousreply 3701/02/2015

What about my documentary?

by Anonymousreply 3901/02/2015

Isn't there a doc now about J Lo and the difficulties of doing a tour . . .poor thing making all that money!!!

by Anonymousreply 4001/03/2015

The world is a depressing place.

by Anonymousreply 4101/05/2015

Love Zachary from...

by Anonymousreply 4201/05/2015

R42!!! OMG!!!!!!!!!!!

The most absolutely disturbing doc ever.

Andrew's parents are SAINTS!

I cried like a baby.

Shirley Turner was SATAN-

by Anonymousreply 4301/05/2015
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!