Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

DREAM BOY (2007) Gay themed movie about two high school boys. Who has seen it?

I rented this film from Netflix. It reminded me of a gay BUSTER AND BILLIE. Remember that film with Jan Michael Vincent? Diana Scarwid, Tina from MOMMIE DEAREST, plays the mother of one of the boys. Anyone else see this or read the novel? I want to read the book now. Several reviews mentioned that the book was better.

DREAM BOY (2007)

Shortly after his family moves to a backwater Louisiana town, shy teen Nathan (Stephan Bender) makes advances toward his handsome fellow student, Roy (Max Roeg), and soon their relationship blossoms into a secret romantic affair. Though constrained by a homophobic community and Nathan's abusive father, things take an unexpected turn when the truth eventually comes out. James Bolton directs and co-writes this drama.

Cast: Maximillian Roeg, Stephan Bender, Diana Scarwid, Thomas Jay Ryan, Randy Wayne, Owen Beckman, Rooney Mara, Rickie Lee Jones Director: James Bolton Genres: Gay & Lesbian, Gay & Lesbian Romance, Gay & Lesbian Dramas

by Anonymousreply 2103/31/2013

Loved the book, loved the movie.

by Anonymousreply 103/16/2013

Just ordered the book. Many of the reviews on Netflix mentioned that the book was quite good.

by Anonymousreply 203/16/2013

Thanks for this post OP. I'm just downloading it now via torrent.

by Anonymousreply 303/16/2013

Wait, I think I've read this book. It was pretty good - had no idea it'd been made into a movie.

by Anonymousreply 403/17/2013

Diana Scarwid? I thought she was dead.

by Anonymousreply 503/17/2013

Turns out that Max Roeg, who plays the older high school boy, is the son of director Nicholas Roeg and DL fav, actress Theresa Russell.

by Anonymousreply 603/17/2013

I saw this and remember very little. But I watched Buster and Billie so many times on cable, I knew just when to tune to see Jan Michael Vincent's full frontal.

by Anonymousreply 703/17/2013

Stephan Bender is very cute.

by Anonymousreply 803/17/2013

Am I going to cry OP? I don't want to cry.

by Anonymousreply 903/17/2013

R9 depends on how much you are in to the movie and characters.

by Anonymousreply 1003/17/2013

Max from "The Emerald Forest"? I always wondered what happened to him.

by Anonymousreply 1103/17/2013

No, I'm getting them mixed up with the Boorman father/son duo.

by Anonymousreply 1203/17/2013

Watching it now (wrote this during lockdown).

The acting is dismal but the plotline is full. Maximilian Roeg, the British kid who plays Roy, looks like the love child of River Phoenix and Donna Pescow, which translates into a pretty good-looking boy.

OK - just finished watching this piece of shit (wrote this several hours later, still in lockdown). Abstract SPOILER ALERT

Yet another bad-things-happen-to-gay people film. 2007 should have known better. I guess they used the excuse that the novel takes place in the 70’s to perpetuate what happened to gay people all too frequently in films of that era. And the worst moral: to escape from the pain of loss, make up your own cuckoo reality.

The fact that Diana Scarwid was in it should have been a warning to the quality of this film – she can’t escape the bad! I guess - being the lousy screaming actress she is - she kind of adds to it.

And r9, I found myself tearing up in some tender positive moments, but the tragical part of the film is SO poorly acted, directed, and executed, that you won’t cry, unless it’s tears of laughter.

by Anonymousreply 1303/18/2013

The guy you were thinking of is now making travel documentaries with Ewan McGregor, r11/r12 (he's old enough to be Max Roeg's dad, btw).

by Anonymousreply 1403/18/2013

Where can we watch it?

by Anonymousreply 1503/18/2013

Diana Scarwid made one fabulous movie

by Anonymousreply 1603/18/2013

let me guess...does someone die? every single gay movie inisists that at least one guy must die.

by Anonymousreply 1703/18/2013

Everyone says the the novel was better than the movie.

by Anonymousreply 1803/18/2013

I've read the book, and liked it. I didn't know about the movie, but now I must order it.

by Anonymousreply 1903/18/2013

It's also a stage play and it's terrific play.

by Anonymousreply 2003/18/2013

I watched the movie last night. I liked the lead actor a lot. I'm surprised how little he did after DREAM BOY. I liked the book better, but it's years since I last read it. I want to go back and see how the endings differ.

by Anonymousreply 2103/31/2013
Need more help? Click Here.