Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Pope Francis as a young man

Gayface, no?

by Anonymousreply 903/17/2013

Maybe all the priests are gay. I just saw an NBC evening segment about the pope. They interviewed 3 American seminarians and each in turn answered a question. It was obvious to me that all three of them were gay.

When I was in the service I hung out with another sailor that had been in the seminary and I was certain he was gay. Why would a gay man want to be a priest?

I worked at a hospital on the Mexican border years ago. I worked an evening shift and the attending father and I became friends. He shared his story with me. He had actually been married and had children. I know, I know. He had gotten an annulment and he told me they church needed priests so badly that somehow he escaped serious scrutiny and was ordained. When they figured out all the facts he was sent to a remote post to hide him, hence the border. They treated him like shit. He lived in absolute poverty, tiny room, no salary to speak of and was given vouchers to eat at the hospital cafeteria, where even there he had a dollar limit per meal. We had supper together most evenings. We never talked about it but I knew he was gay. Unfortunately he collapsed and died in his room. He was in his 50's.

by Anonymousreply 103/16/2013

He was kinda cute. Too bad about the whole catholic thing though. Shame really.

by Anonymousreply 203/16/2013

The issues about gay men in the priesthood are complex.

Twenty five years ago a friend's partner attended seminary, but did not take his final vows as a priest. He was a virgin when he went in. He said there was so much sex going on between priests and seminarians his head spun. Well he succumbed. The result was a real crisis of faith and self doubt. He left and eventually came to terms with himself. He has been very happy.

I think that at one time the priesthood was an option for many men who could not come to terms with their sexuality, so became priests. Some were able to live and function within celibacy. Others sought out fellow priests, or men outside their faith.

Mixed among these decent men who struggled with these issues are pedophiles who victimized children. The church protected these criminals.

The two issues of gay men within the church and pedophiles get blurred but they are not the same thing. Remember that priests victimized female children as well. Pedophiles are not defined by a same sex or opposite sex orientation.

by Anonymousreply 303/16/2013

Although she's dressed up to the nines, crucifixes and dick mavens ensue.

by Anonymousreply 403/16/2013

[R3] May I compliment you on one of the best posts I have seen on this site? I wish there was less, "I got shit on my ballet slippers" offerings and more like yours.

by Anonymousreply 503/16/2013

good advice for the church and Pope Francis from Frank Bruni in NYT Sunday Op-Ed

[quote] It’s time for the church to stop talking so much about sex. It’s the perfect time, in fact.

It’s on matters of sexual morality that the church has lost much of its authority. And it’s on matters of sexual morality that it largely wastes its breath. By insisting on mandatory celibacy for a priesthood winnowed and sometimes warped by that, by opposing the use of contraceptives for birth control, by casting judgment on homosexuals and by decrying divorce while running something of an annulment mill, the church’s leaders have enraged and alienated Catholics whose common sense and whose experience of the real world tell them that none of that is wise, kind or necessary.

by Anonymousreply 603/17/2013

Thanks, R5

by Anonymousreply 703/17/2013

They're pedophiles. There's a difference.

by Anonymousreply 803/17/2013

[quote]I think that at one time the priesthood was an option for many men who could not come to terms with their sexuality, so became priests.

Absolutely. I wonder if sometimes the selection was done for them. I've heard that it was tradition in large Irish Catholic families to send one son to the priesthood and a daughter to the convent. I assume part of this was an issue of having two fewer mouths to feed. But it also served the purpose of weeding out those who weren't "functional" in traditional society.

by Anonymousreply 903/17/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!