Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

The Last Days of Disco is on cable right now

I'd never seen it before.

Has anyone ever been able to make it all the way through this steaming pile of dog shit movie?

by Anonymousreply 4003/17/2013

I loved Whit Stillman's Damsels in Distress.

Haven't seen this one, though.

by Anonymousreply 103/16/2013

I didn't finish this one. I did like [italic]Metropolitan[/italic]and the one about the cousins in Barcelona.

by Anonymousreply 203/16/2013

It's one of his weakest films, but it has a brilliant ending.

by Anonymousreply 303/16/2013

Saw it for the first time on cable last week--he manages to get truly wooden, phony performances even from otherwise good actors (like Sevigny, whom I usually think is strong, though not to everyone's taste, I realize) and truly dreadful ones from his rep company. Even "54" had more life to it.

by Anonymousreply 403/16/2013

Matt Keelsar's presence alone in this film makes it worth the watch. So beautiful.

And, yes, the last scene is one of the best of all-time.

by Anonymousreply 503/16/2013

*Matt Keeslar

by Anonymousreply 603/16/2013

Please spoil the ending for me. What happened?

by Anonymousreply 703/16/2013

[quote]he manages to get truly wooden, phony performances even from otherwise good actors (like Sevigny

Oh my sides!! When has Chloe Sevigny NOT been wooden?

by Anonymousreply 803/16/2013

What channel?

Matt Keeslar is wonderful...the scene where he talks about where is depression started and the scene where he finally get to arrest somebody and say the phrase he always wanted too are excellent.

Kind of sad he had to give up acting and become a nurse, can't one of you DL entertainment industry types give him a job?

by Anonymousreply 903/16/2013

I loved it the first time I saw it. Kate Beckinsale used to be a great actress.

by Anonymousreply 1003/16/2013

This was the first Whit Stillman film I saw, and I loved it. Went on to love his other ones also.

by Anonymousreply 1103/16/2013

I love it. My favorite of all his films. I almost spent $150 to get an out-of-print DVD of it on eBay before it went back into print last year.

Kate Beckinsale was an excellent bitch. Her character should be a DL icon.

Great lines throughout.

"Maybe in physical terms I'm a little cuter than you, but you should be much more popular than I am."

"Anything I did that was wrong, I apologize for. But anything I did that was not wrong, I don't apologize for."

"There's something sexy about Scrooge McDuck."

"You have a gay mouth."

by Anonymousreply 1203/16/2013

The only issue that I have with the film is that the clothes and hair are all wrong for the period.

by Anonymousreply 1403/16/2013

I saw the whole thing. As I recall it was okay, but nothing special.

by Anonymousreply 1503/16/2013

R8, she wasn't wooden in Boys Don't Cry but I think the southern accent helped. It gave her voice a bit of musicality.

In this movie she was extremely wooden and miscast as the ingenue. I like Kate Beckinsale a lot in this-she plays a total bitch.

Matt Keeslar was hopelessly mediocre and bland-he waa smart to get out of the business.

by Anonymousreply 1603/16/2013

I thought it was great, and just thinking about the amazing, moving ending gives me chills!

by Anonymousreply 1703/17/2013

Watched it last night. Loved it. Love his talky, mannered dialogue.

by Anonymousreply 1803/17/2013

I worked on the crew of the movie. Shooting that ending was fun, to say the very least. However it was shot the night before Princess Diana was killed.

by Anonymousreply 1903/17/2013

Wow, R19 - how were Matt Keeslar and Chloe Sevigny on set?

by Anonymousreply 2003/17/2013

Chris Eigeman's voice is so annoying it makes my ears bleed.

by Anonymousreply 2103/17/2013

I guess I'm alone in loving this? I'm not old enough to remember the late '70's so any anomalies, I wouldn't catch, but I thought all the actors were great. Sevigny is rather convincing as the dull (but nice) girl and the ending, with the dull nice people paired off, is lovely.

Kate Beckinsale is fantastic! She needs more bitch roles.

by Anonymousreply 2203/17/2013

Will somebody please describe the ending??? Thanks! I saw it years ago and I do not remember the ending at all.

by Anonymousreply 2303/17/2013

The costumes didn't really look early 80s to me.

by Anonymousreply 2403/17/2013

You are so not alone, R22.

Keep in mind that Matt Keeslar and Chloe Sevigny aren't just dull nice people paired off at the end—they're damaged goods (he with his bipolarity, she with herpes), so their pairing up has an extra poignancy.

by Anonymousreply 2503/17/2013

Love the movie. It really picks up on the navel-gazing pretense of so many in the early 80s!

Great Ending Sequence...

by Anonymousreply 2603/17/2013

I kinda liked it.

by Anonymousreply 2703/17/2013

R20, Matt Keeslar was very, very quiet and quite similar to his character. He was apparently a last minute replacement for somebody else, don't think we ever found out who.

Chloe Sevigny was a despicable cunt. We all loathed her. She got along well with Kate Beckinsale and went into a fashion business with the young actress who played the third roommate-forget her name.

by Anonymousreply 2803/17/2013

[quote]went into a fashion business with the young actress who played the third roommate-forget her name.

Tara Subkoff.

by Anonymousreply 2903/17/2013

I don't get the hate for this one. It's pretty good, Kate has some really cunty lines, in a role she was born to play. Tara Subkoff was the weak link for me, thank god Imitation of Christ took off...

Metropolitan is unbearably pretentious and unwatchable for me.

by Anonymousreply 3003/17/2013

I think that what's so great about the ending is that it demonstrates that even though it may have been "the last days of disco" as a separate cultural movement, it completely permeated mass culture and influenced the psyche of New York and beyond on a much deeper, permanent level. And that as a separate movement, especially in nyc it never really died it just went .....underground.

by Anonymousreply 3103/17/2013

I have sat through it twice, OP. Why? Matt Keeslar.

Why didn't he become as popular as trash like Pattinson and TayTay? At the very least, he's a lot better looking.

by Anonymousreply 3203/17/2013

To the one who complained about it not seeming period enough that was exactly what Stillman wanted. This is a movie about preppies, not Saturday Night Fever goombahs or disco divas. Charlotte wore an Izod Lacoste polo shirt, for Chrissakes.

by Anonymousreply 3303/17/2013

Real gossip - thrilling!

R28, what cunty things did Chloe do? I always sensed she was a haughty cuntress.

Is it true that Mackenzie Astin is gay?

Matt Keeslar is so beautiful in this movie. Weird to hear he was a replacement. It would have been much duller without him.

by Anonymousreply 3403/17/2013

I loved this film, almost as much as Metropolitan

by Anonymousreply 3503/17/2013

"It's completely formulaic."

"Of course it's formulaic, it's a formula."

by Anonymousreply 3603/17/2013

Sevigny was just snotty and sullen ALL THE TIME, treated the production servants like lackey's. She's a rich bitch from Connecticut. She was plain looking so there was no excuse for her snottiness. If she was attractive at all then we'd understand better.

Never knew whether Mackenzie was gay or not. He was very sweet. I remember him asking us to please not mention Valley of the Dolls if his mother Patty Duke visited the set. "She hates that movie for a lot of reasons," he said.

Stillman was a bit of a snob but OK. For a heterosexual man he seemed awfully interested in all the preppy looking boys on set, including Keeslar.

And, oh yeah, Jennifer Beals was on set for a few days and she was a piece of shit. And of course she and Sevigny got along.

by Anonymousreply 3703/17/2013

Jennifer Beals was AWFUL in this movie. It like she was in a movie all of her own, her acting just didn't fit and was way over the top and silly.

by Anonymousreply 3803/17/2013

Whit Stillman is to cinema what George Will is to journalism.

by Anonymousreply 3903/17/2013

Jennifer Beals could ruin any venture

by Anonymousreply 4003/17/2013
Need more help? Click Here.