Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Bruno Mars

I don't get it. I really don't.

I'm 28. Am I too old? Or maybe just not old enough?

What's so great about Bruno Mars?

by Anonymousreply 6501/09/2015

I am looking at 70 and love him ! He is adorable looking, funny and smart to boot. I love his music and his band and their performances. He has a great voice, writes his own music and if you saw him on SNL he can do anything. He is my favorite performer in recent years. He wrote "Forget You", aka Fuck you with Celo Green. Just don't watch or listen to him, should be easy enough. He is very popular with others in the music business.

by Anonymousreply 103/16/2013

by Anonymousreply 203/16/2013

R2= racist

by Anonymousreply 303/16/2013

I really like his songs Grenade and Locked Out of Heaven.

That Just The Way You Are song is cringeworthy, though.

by Anonymousreply 403/16/2013

I would never buy his CD, but he's got a great voice and seems to have more depth than your average pop star.

by Anonymousreply 503/16/2013

Dont care for his song choices but he has a beautiful voice. One of the best in many years.

by Anonymousreply 603/16/2013

I was at a club recently and they closed the place down with a remix of Locked Out of Heaven. The place went nuts!

by Anonymousreply 703/16/2013

Girly voice.

by Anonymousreply 803/16/2013

He plays several instruments too, so he's not just a pretty face. Plus that multi ethnic black, Puerto Rican, Hawaiian thing. Too bad he's a big coke whore.

by Anonymousreply 903/16/2013

I don't like him, but have to say he is very talented and his latest song is very well-written unlike most songs on the radio.

When I Was Your Mine

by Anonymousreply 1003/16/2013

oops, When I Was Your Man

by Anonymousreply 1103/16/2013

Treasure from his latest album has a cool 80's vibe

by Anonymousreply 1203/16/2013

Thut Up

by Anonymousreply 1303/16/2013

Unlike Timberlake, Mars has mastered his songwriting craft. Compare the chorus in any of his hits to that of Suit and Tie. Mars wins hands down.

by Anonymousreply 1403/16/2013

Mike Posner is better.

by Anonymousreply 1503/16/2013

He has a fabulous bouffant!

by Anonymousreply 1603/16/2013

I would love to hear what he sound like to some funky music with lots of bass. Pop music is just so dull these days, all his talent is wasted on the songs he puts out.

by Anonymousreply 1703/16/2013

I don't care for him but there is nothing to "get" OP. If you like a performer you like them if you don't you don't. Nobody likes everyone. It's not that hard to figure out.

by Anonymousreply 1803/16/2013

Is he a pocket gay?

by Anonymousreply 1903/16/2013

R2 = The Worst Kind of Troll

by Anonymousreply 2103/16/2013

I became a fan when he offered an unplanned visit to the dunk tank during Ellen's Breast Cancer Awareness month, just after he sang. He looked good wet, too.

by Anonymousreply 2203/16/2013

Are you fucking kidding? He's one of the few young performers in years to have real talent instead of banking on image and autotune. The guy can really sing. Watch the SNL with him as host and get back to us.

by Anonymousreply 2303/16/2013

He's an excellent live performer, which is so uncommon today.

by Anonymousreply 2403/16/2013

21=sad troll

by Anonymousreply 2503/16/2013

[R9] The Hawaiian thing is Filipino

by Anonymousreply 2603/16/2013

my mom's canasta group like him...he is non-threatening

by Anonymousreply 2703/16/2013

Not a fan, but wish him well.

by Anonymousreply 2803/16/2013

He sings in a whiny voice which seems to be popular now.

That's all I have to say.

by Anonymousreply 2903/16/2013

[quote]Just don't watch or listen to him, should be easy enough

Spent all day on the road yesterday and found it nearly impossible to avoid his whiny, crybaby voice.

Thank God for NPR.

by Anonymousreply 3003/16/2013

Love him, want him to be my boyfriend.

by Anonymousreply 3103/16/2013

I first got turned onto him when he did the Lazy Song. Come on, he even got Leonard Nimoy to do a cameo in it.

He's good for poppy numbers too.

by Anonymousreply 3203/17/2013

Love her. Bought her new album for only $3.99 on Amazon.

by Anonymousreply 3303/17/2013

I've heard one song on the radio and I don't like it. Something about "dancing with someone else". His voice is whiney sounding which seems to be the norm for many male singers now. Don't get started on that Alicia Keys "Girl on Fire" song, which along with that Bruno Mars thing is in constant rotation.

by Anonymousreply 3403/17/2013

He's a cutie, but I was indifferent to his music until "Locked Out of Heaven," which has a '60s pop feel that I enjoy.

by Anonymousreply 3503/17/2013

I think he's OK. One of the few contemporary R&B artists I can listen to these days. I like his voice.

by Anonymousreply 3603/17/2013

His voice really gets on my nerves.

Bet he could do a pretty good Gollum impression, though.

by Anonymousreply 3703/18/2013

Bello Canto!

by Anonymousreply 3803/18/2013

Forget Bruno Mars - give me Olly Murs ! MMmmmmmm

"My heart skips a beat" indeed ! (he is one of Simon Cowell's proteges from the UK, indeed the only one doing well from the X-Factor series, though he never won it. I knew from his first audition he would be HAWT, and he is packing too in his tight trousers. We do like a cheeky chappie!

by Anonymousreply 3903/18/2013

The songs I hear on the radio are catchy, but I really became a fan after seeing him on SNL. His bit was hysterical, and as Paula Abdul would say, he could sing the phone book.

by Anonymousreply 4003/18/2013

So, I'm not that old - 33 - but I've never cared for Bruno Mars' music. I have no doubt that he's a talented guy with a strong voice, but his original music is M.O.R. - feels tailor made for 2014 terrestrial FM radio. Zzzzz.

But, credit where credit's due, his performance (with Mark Ronson) on the most recent SNL was electrifying. I think, in no small part, because the song "Uptown Funk" is a Ronson song that Bruno does the vocals for. Everything about this performance is spot on. The exceptionally strong band that Ronson's put together. My GOD those horns - not to mention the rhythm section. One of the most disappointing aspects of liking R&B music these days is that the live bands often fail to live up to the recordings sounding like amateur night at the Apollo. This band is on fire and so, as they say, in the pocket. The song's hardly a masterpiece, but it's funk is just undeniable and, yes, Mars is charismatic and sounds great. Even the lighting is perfect - feels retro and modern at once.

by Anonymousreply 4111/27/2014

R42 - Charming, dude, charming. God, I don't know what's more unappealing on this site, "primetime" or the racists. Also, in what world is he fat?? The guy looks like he weighs 110 lbs.

by Anonymousreply 4311/27/2014

His voice is instantly recognizable. His timbre approaches bell tones. His vocal range is wide. That is all you need to know about why we like Bruno Mars.

by Anonymousreply 4411/27/2014

R39 fuck no. Olly Murs is another mediocre Brit. Bruno is a great talent and I'm glad he's doing well. I hope he steals away all of mediocre Timberlake's fans too. It's nice to have a male singer who can perform well live again. We haven't had anyone popular with that ability since Usher. Obviously there are many amazing singers in the world but most of the current crop of stars aren't even decent singers.

by Anonymousreply 4511/27/2014

I know I'm a bit late, but R35--what song from the SIXTIES does "Locked Out Of Heaven" sound like? Good lord. It sounds like NOTHING from that decade. It's an obvious rip-off of The Police.

That "Lazy Song" is so irritating. Like it was written with the idea of appealing to everybody. Who doesn't like to have a day where they're "not doin' anything"? Cynical mainstream schlock. "When I Was Your Man" is even worse, way worse. His imitation of Michael Jackson on the vocal is grating enough, but the juvenile lyrics make me want to strangle him. It kept coming on the radio when I was driving through Ohio in a rental car last year; I had to keep switching stations and it just kept coming back at me.

The kid is just a mimic. The fact that he had a hand in writing that thoroughly unoriginal novelty song "Fuck You" for that asshole Cee-Lo Green comes as no surprise.

Major label mainstream regurgitation.

by Anonymousreply 4611/27/2014

Ms Mars is FLAMING in this vid:

by Anonymousreply 4701/05/2015

Killin' it on SNL. Loving how Cameron Diaz really WURKS her five-second intro, Sideway S-shape body contortion and all:

by Anonymousreply 4801/05/2015

He still looks and sounds like a cute FTM

by Anonymousreply 4901/05/2015

There's nothing overly great about him.

He certainly can carry a tune so you can't fault him there.

The fact that he is Asian helps as there are so few of them that are popular right now.

by Anonymousreply 5001/05/2015

What is there to get OP? It's pop music. There's nothing subversive or ambiguous about it.

He's not Bowie or Dylan for God's sake.

by Anonymousreply 5101/05/2015

I always thought Bruno was a weird name for a woman.

by Anonymousreply 5201/05/2015

When he did Uptown Funk on an episode of THE VOICE, he had what looked like a bunch of curlers in his hair. It was bizarre - I had no idea Toni perms had made a comeback.

by Anonymousreply 5301/05/2015

I like Ronson, and some of Mars's music, but I just can't get into that Uptown Funk song. It's just "meh" to me, and I normally love that genre of music.

by Anonymousreply 5401/05/2015

Bruno's cute and has a great voice.

by Anonymousreply 5501/05/2015

He's always filmed from the ground, or from below the level of the stage so he doesn't look his actual height. What is he - like 4'10'?

by Anonymousreply 5601/05/2015

He's 5'4' r56, so he's not very tall at all. And he seems to be surrounded by equally short musicians in his music vids which I'm assuming is no coincidence.

I don't mind him. He can sing and probably writes his own stuff since he was an unknown song writer for a long time. He's harmless.

by Anonymousreply 5701/05/2015

I agree with R1. I'm pushing 60 and I f---ing LOVE Bruno Mars! His appearance on SNL - last season or maybe season before, was really good; you could tell he's not a trained actor, but he had natural flair and timing; was a hoot!

by Anonymousreply 5801/05/2015

He's Puerto Rican and Filipino but has a black vibe about him and makes like he's black. His music has a throwback, pop/r&b urban, black feel ... like 70s/80s Cool N the Gang or something like that. His videos and styling are deliberately reference that era. To me, he has a bit of Prince, Michael Jackson, James Brown and Rick James rolled up in one little package and his backing band/singers are awesome.

Hands down the best pop performer since MJ and Prince. America's first and only Asian star.

by Anonymousreply 5901/09/2015

Bruno Mars has ANOTHER #1 hit! He now has 4 solo and 2 featured #1s for a total of 6!

by Anonymousreply 6001/09/2015

I feel like his music is for women. All his songs I've heard are about how some woman is perfect just the way she is, her vagina is a treasure, he lost his woman because he should have bought her flowers, etc. It's all too sappy and hetero.

by Anonymousreply 6101/09/2015

She's the hottest new young lady to hit pop music in years!

by Anonymousreply 6201/09/2015

I'll just strut in my birthday suit

And let everything hang loose

by Anonymousreply 6301/09/2015

[quote]I would love to hear what he sound like to some funky music with lots of bass. Pop music is just so dull these days, all his talent is wasted on the songs he puts out.

R17/Mark Ronson--i didn't know you frequented DL!

by Anonymousreply 6401/09/2015

Uptown Funk is fun. An obvious nod to The Time's Jungle Love.

Most of his other stuff is well-written but pretty bland.

by Anonymousreply 6501/09/2015
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!