Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Janet Jackson and Salma Hayek are both one half of the two richest Hollywood Couples

Entertainment Tonight just ran down a list of the richest couples in Tinseltown, which included Brad and Angelina, Will and Jada, Mariah and Nick, Beyonce and Jay-Z, Posh and Becks and Kim and Kanye. Newlyweds Janet and Wissam, and Salma Hayek and her husband François-Henri Pinault topped the list, and were the only two billionaire couples.

by The Richest Bitchesreply 7401/07/2015

And this news is surprising ... why? Btw Naomi Campbell will soon join the list; she's dating (and likely to marry) a Ukrainian oligarch.

by The Richest Bitchesreply 103/16/2013

Naomi has been with that guy for years. Has he divorced his wife yet?

by The Richest Bitchesreply 203/16/2013

Wasn't there rumors that Janet Jackson was having financial troubles, that being the reasoning for her money grab for Michael's estate?

by The Richest Bitchesreply 303/16/2013

R3 Two richest Hollywood couples. Really?

Some twat on the Justin Timberlake "Suit & Tie" thread would have us believe that poor, pitiful Janet Jackson was victimized by big, bad Justin Timberlake for most of a decade--that she has lived in fear, poverty, and ignominy ever since his rape of one of her breasts during the infamous Wardrobe Malfunction.

Not so, eh?

I shall now go and laugh my ass off.

by The Richest Bitchesreply 403/16/2013

And on the left red carpet, arriving in fabulous style, is DL legend Janbot...

...in 3, 2, 1.....

by The Richest Bitchesreply 503/16/2013

I'm glad Janet's doing a lot better than that overrated asshole Timberfake.

by The Richest Bitchesreply 603/16/2013

I wonder what Janet's bazillionaire husband thinks of his broke, greedy, delusional in-laws?

by The Richest Bitchesreply 703/16/2013

[quote]Wasn't there rumors that Janet Jackson was having financial troubles, that being the reasoning for her money grab for Michael's estate?

It's all lies. Janet's fortune several years ago was estimated by Forbes to stand at about $150 million, but since then she's had a worldwide tour, a #1 NY Times Bestselling book, signed a film production deal with Lionsgate, done several films and has had deals with BlackGlama and Nutrisystem. Nevermind the fact that, because of her landmark record deal with Virgin in the '90s, she stands to gain control of her Virgin Records masters this year. Add to that the fact that her songs are always sampled and remade, particularly here lately, and I'm sure she giggles at that paltry $150 million tag.

by The Richest Bitchesreply 803/16/2013

[quote]Some twat on the Justin Timberlake "Suit & Tie" thread would have us believe that poor, pitiful Janet Jackson was victimized by big, bad Justin Timberlake for most of a decade--that she has lived in fear, poverty, and ignominy ever since his rape of one of her breasts during the infamous Wardrobe Malfunction

Aren't you the same TWAT who was in said Justin Timberlake thread, who said he would NEVER dare set foot in a Janet Jackson thread? I guess you've had a change of heart, eh?

Excuse me while I go laugh my ass off at the hypocrisy.

by The Richest Bitchesreply 903/16/2013

[quote]that being the reasoning for her money grab for Michael's estate?

Another thing, Janet wasn't grabbing for Michael's money. When he was still alive, she was worth much more than him--he was acutally close to bankrupt. Hell, Janet was the one always bailing several family members out of financial holes. She has never been a squanderer of her fortune, hence why you've never read about her going bankrupt or having financial difficulites.

by The Richest Bitchesreply 1003/16/2013

[quote]And on the left red carpet, arriving in fabulous style, is DL legend Janbot...

You'd better believe it, baby.

Here's a photo of Queen Janet boarding a yacht with her husband. Bask in Janet's glory, DL bitches!!

by The Richest Bitchesreply 1103/16/2013

LOL R6.

by The Richest Bitchesreply 1303/16/2013

Janbot, you are so prompt that I have to ask if you ever leave your computer.

by The Richest Bitchesreply 1403/16/2013

LOL R14, I just got on after a break. Had a lot of errands to run today. I like to dip into the DL to check on my lovlies every now and then. Of course, you know I have JANlepathy, so I can feel when threads about her are going.

by The Richest Bitchesreply 1603/16/2013

[quote]I'm glad Janet's doing a lot better than that overrated asshole Timberfake.

Let's see, Janet has no career. She hasn't had a hit in 12 years. Timberlake is a national treasure, and hailed the world over. Yes, Janet is doing so much better than Justin Timberlake, the guy who not only has the successful music career, but a movie one. Miss Janet couldn't even tour anything bigger than high school gymnasiums. That's how big of a has-been she is, and yes, she was going after Michael's money, and no, she was not richer than him. The man owned the Beatles catalog, and still had half of it when died. Janet showed her true colors: typical Jackson trash. She was behind kidnapping her mother, and signing the document to get access to Michael's money. The family cannot stand that Michael didn't leave anything to them. They are the scum of the Earth. Janet's an irrelevant old witch today. Good riddance.

by The Richest Bitchesreply 1703/16/2013

[quote]I wonder what Janet's bazillionaire husband thinks of his broke, greedy, delusional in-laws?

...and his wife.

by The Richest Bitchesreply 1803/16/2013

Are Hayek and Pineault really a "Hollywood" couple? Seems like Hayek, more than Janet, married her wealth.

by The Richest Bitchesreply 1903/16/2013

Neither one of those couples are Hollywood couples. They are women in the entertainment business who married obscenely wealthy outsiders who did not make their money in the industry.

by The Richest Bitchesreply 2003/16/2013

There seems to be a lot of resentment that Janet Jackson has married a billionaire. Strange. Oh well. I'm sure it's of no account to her.

by The Richest Bitchesreply 2103/16/2013

Hayek has lived in Paris for the last few years. She goes back and forth between LA and Paris. Can you imagine the designers she has to access to at snap of her finger? Salma comes from money, but she did very well for herself marrying Pinault.

by The Richest Bitchesreply 2203/16/2013

Hayek married the big money, but she would've already been rich on her own. She produced [italic]Ugly Betty[/italic].

by The Richest Bitchesreply 2303/16/2013

There's no resentment at all. It's the resentment her poor husband must be feeling when the whole Jackson clan shows up at their mansion in Dubai with their suitcases asking when dinner is served.

by The Richest Bitchesreply 2403/16/2013

Just more women latching onto rich men. Has any women ever heard of independence???

by The Richest Bitchesreply 2503/16/2013

I love Janet's life. She got the opportunity to be a huge megastar, made millions and is a legend of popular music by birth and her own body of work. Now she can do whatever the she pleases for the rest of her days, write the occasional check to bail a brother out, and she has a loaded husband. She could probably even walk in Target now for a few minutes without causing a scene, she is that far off the radar now. Well done Janet.

by The Richest Bitchesreply 2603/16/2013

Janet has it better than Madonna. At least Janet doesnt have to pay for affection and date high schoolers like Madge does.

by The Richest Bitchesreply 2703/16/2013

R25, Your an idiot! These women were WELL OFF just by being born into the right families. They come from money! Guess what? Rich people marry rich people! That's what they do...jealous much?

by The Richest Bitchesreply 2803/16/2013

Amazing that Hayek often is so badly dressed considering the resources she has.

by The Richest Bitchesreply 2903/16/2013

[quote]Let's see, Janet has no career. She hasn't had a hit in 12 years. Timberlake is a national treasure, and hailed the world over. Yes, Janet is doing so much better than Justin Timberlake, the guy who not only has the successful music career, but a movie one. Miss Janet couldn't even tour anything bigger than high school gymnasiums. That's how big of a has-been she is, and yes, she was going after Michael's money, and no, she was not richer than him. The man owned the Beatles catalog, and still had half of it when died. Janet showed her true colors: typical Jackson trash. She was behind kidnapping her mother, and signing the document to get access to Michael's money. The family cannot stand that Michael didn't leave anything to them. They are the scum of the Earth. Janet's an irrelevant old witch today. Good riddance.

You stupid, bitter, hating loser of a cow. Janet Jackson is now, always was and will ALWAYS be everything you are not. Wealthy. Check. Famous. Check. Gorgeous. Check. While you fritter your life away in your little crackden/trailer, spouting bullshit on an internet forum, Janet is living in the lap of luxury (as she has for the bulk of her life), jetsetting around the world. Her legacy of hit albums, singles, films, and concerts has cemented her place in pop culture history. She's done it all--music, movies, TV, a book, and there are still many things left for her to accomplish.

And TimberWIMP, a national treasure? Ha! That asshole had pictures of Janet hanging in his room (based on his OWN words when he attended Janet's MTV ICON show in 2001) when he was a teen, and she was making hits long before he was bunking in a room with Lance Bass and trying to keep Lou Pearlman's hands off of his barely-legal ass. He is nothing compared to the legendary Miss Jackson. When he gets nominated for an Academy Award, holds the record for fastest sellout of the Tokyo Dome, releases an album that spawns 7 top 5 Billboard Hot 100 hits, nets 10 Hot 100 #1 singles, signs the biggest record deal in history TWICE in one decade, holds the record for winning more Billbaord Awards than any other artist, puts out 5 consecutive #1 albums, has three consecutive films top the US box office, and has every pop star of the following generation emulating HIM, then we can talk. But for now, he's just a Robin Thicke-emulating, ear-splitting falsetto-warbling wannabe (with a waning film career).

As for MJ, he was a spendthrift, and nearly broke when he was alive, hence the final tour he'd been planning before he died. He and Janet were closest of the siblings, but he needed her more times than she needed him in their illustrious careers (making "Scream" during the height of his first molestation scandal and the time she cancelled recieving an award in person to be by his hospital beside in 1995, for starters).

Janet has no career? Bitch, if not for her career, half the pop tarts you see ruling the charts today would be non-existent. And you were saying...?

by The Richest Bitchesreply 3003/16/2013

[quote]While you fritter your life away in your little crackden/trailer, spouting bullshit on an internet forum,

Oh, the irony.

by The Richest Bitchesreply 3103/16/2013

[quote]Oh, the irony

I live in a condo, dear. But thanks for playing.

by The Richest Bitchesreply 3203/16/2013

I'm confused. Is a condo supposed to be impressive?

Congrats on reaching for the stars.

by The Richest Bitchesreply 3303/16/2013

[quote]Miss Janet couldn't even tour anything bigger than high school gymnasiums

This is SOME high school gymnasium!

by The Richest Bitchesreply 3403/16/2013

I'm thinking that more things than someone saying they live in a condo can get [italic]you[/italic] confused, R33. Now run along, and stop addressing people who don't address you.

by The Richest Bitchesreply 3503/16/2013

Timberlake is a national treasure?!

BWAHAHAHAHA!

A failed movie actor whose latest album is struggling and getting mixed reviews.

Shouldn't have bit Bruno Mars and Robin Thicke's style.

It is amusing to see him calling in favors from everyone to try and make this latest album a success.

by The Richest Bitchesreply 3603/16/2013

Who wins in a fight, the Streep Troll or Janbot?

by The Richest Bitchesreply 3703/16/2013

See you at Tarzhay on Tues, R36, when you pick up your "special version" CD. You know you love him, and that a CD, even a "special version" CD is but a mere substitute for his penis, which you want to lick and suck and call your own.

by The Richest Bitchesreply 3803/17/2013

Salma Hayek is one of those celebrity assholes that ruin celebrities for the rest of us. Radar reports that she was recently told that she would have to wait for a table in at the Chateau Marmont and bitch acted like someone denied her child the organ that she needed to live. Hey Salma – shut the fuck up. They will pull out the trough soon enough. You are not the ruler of our universe. You and your grotesque circus titties can wait fifteen minutes so they can wipe down the table and put out some setups, you twatty witch. Ugh, this is like the one thing a celebrity can do to piss me off besides making a weak sequel to a good movie. Anyone who says “do you know who I am”, whether it be in Spanglish or not, needs to be hit with a leather sap and flipped into a dumpster.

by The Richest Bitchesreply 3903/17/2013

I'd be embarrassed if I was Janbot. Anyone so obsessed with a celebrity is kind of sad.

by The Richest Bitchesreply 4003/17/2013

[quote]Hayek married the big money, but she would've already been rich on her own. She produced Ugly Betty.

Bitch, PLEASE. There's a rather fundamental difference in making a few mil off of a now-cancelled TV show, and marrying a man worth $15 BILLION. Not only that, the man owns YSL, Gucci, Bottega Veneta, Balenciaga, Stella McCartney, Alexander McQueen, Brioni and basically every major brand *not* owned by LVMH. Aside from all that, he's actually quite handsome and entirely age-appropriate for Salma.

To Janbot: there is not a SINGLE reputable source backing up your claim that Janet is worth $150 million. I just checked the Forbes archive, and she's not even *mentioned* -- EVER -- as one of their high-net-worth celebrities.

by The Richest Bitchesreply 4103/17/2013

And as we well know, R41, Janet's troubles are ALL Justin Timberlake's fault.

by The Richest Bitchesreply 4203/17/2013

It is amazing how classy Janet has conducted her life as she enters her 40s. While most women her age are clinging to scraps, she is redefining and living her best life on her own terms in a graceful way, while the haters continue to throw shade and other much older former pop divas are dressing in boy scout uniforms and embarrassing themselves with men that only want them for their money.

by The Richest Bitchesreply 4303/17/2013

[quote]To Janbot: there is not a SINGLE reputable source backing up your claim that Janet is worth $150 million. I just checked the Forbes archive, and she's not even *mentioned* -- EVER -- as one of their high-net-worth celebrities

Actually, it's likely north of $150 million by now (that was the 2007 figure). Janet Jackson--an artist who was TWICE the world's highest paid performer--amassed her fortune over the years due to several successful world tours, over 100 million records sold, the two aforementioned landmark Virgin record deals, various film roles, real estate, ventures with NutriSystem and BlackGlama, a #1 selling book, being part-owner of an all Black-owned Los Angeles bank...and that's just for starters. And, if that is too much for you to wrap your head around, here's a link. From where...FORBES!

by The Richest Bitchesreply 4403/17/2013

R43, you speaketh the truth.

Gotta love R42, a person who not even 24 hours ago declared he'd never enter a Janet thread, but has done so several times over since then!

by The Richest Bitchesreply 4503/17/2013

I have never bought a record, tape, or CD by Janet Jackson in my life. It's not that I'm a hater. Her music just doesn't get through to me. I wouldn't know it if I heard it--at least, I wouldn't know who it was by.

Maybe someone could suggest a familiar "Oh, you have to have heard THIS" track or two on You Tube?

by The Richest Bitchesreply 4603/17/2013

R46, download Control. It will change your life.

by The Richest Bitchesreply 4703/17/2013

I haven't either R46. The only things I can remember hearing are her 80's "Nasty" and some other catchy song. Other than that nada and I really don't care to. I didn't even see the Super Bowl fiasco but with JJ and JT why bother?

by The Richest Bitchesreply 4803/17/2013

[quote]Her music just doesn't get through to me. I wouldn't know it if I heard it--at least, I wouldn't know who it was by.

Bullshit. MAJOR bullshit. You're telling me you've never heard "What Have You Done for Me Lately", "Nasty", "Control", "Rhythm Nation", "That's The Way Love Goes", "When I Think Of You", "Together Again", "All For You", "Escapade", etc.? You've never heard the phrase "Janet, Miss Jackson If You're Nasty" or "We are a part of the Rhythm Nation"?

And what's more, have you given up your anti-Janet Jackson DL thread status?

by The Richest Bitchesreply 4903/17/2013

[quote]It is amazing how classy Janet has conducted her life as she enters her 40s. While most women her age are clinging to scraps, she is redefining and living her best life on her own terms in a graceful way

...by marrying a much-younger boytoy, one who happens to come from a country where Sharia law exists and gays are routinely thrown in prison merely for having sex. Great catch, Janet!

by The Richest Bitchesreply 5003/17/2013

Are you really playing that card r50? Do you even know her husband or what he feels about gays? And before you get on your high horse about where he comes from, let's not forget that our House of Reps is controlled by people who would criminalize gay if they could.

by The Richest Bitchesreply 5103/17/2013

Janbot, R46 merely said he's not into her music and wouldn't recognize one of her songs now. Kind of like me. We are allowed to not really care about it.

by The Richest Bitchesreply 5203/17/2013

[quote]our House of Reps is controlled by people who would criminalize gay if they could.

Bullshit. I dare you to name ONE House Rep who is ON RECORD stating that he believes we should return to pre-Lawrence v. Texas days and that consensual sodomy should be criminalized.

by The Richest Bitchesreply 5303/17/2013

CONTROL (the full album linked below)

First of Janet's five-#1-albums streak--a record just recently tied by Madonna

American Music Awards- She has the most nominations from one album with 12 for Control. A record she's held since 1987

Most top 5 R&B singles from one album with "Control", a record she holds with brother Michael

Janet subseequently became the first female artist to produce six top 40 hits on the Billboard Hot 100 from a single album with "Control"

"Nasty" was popular for its industrial-meets-pop-meets-R&B beats, and for the "Janet, Miss Jackson if you're Nasty" catchphrase. The phrase is still used today when referencing not only Janet, but it's often tailored to fit others as well. The song was featured in the 1986 Kirk Douglas/Burt Lancaster film "Tough Guys", and the WWF wrestling duo The Nasty Boys derived their name from the song. Also, the late '80s TV series 'Nasty Boys' was not only named from the song, but "Nasty" served as its theme song as well.

"What Have You Done for Me Lately" was another pop culture phenomenon. It's been covered by Prince several times in concert over the years, it was covered in the film "Sister Act 2", and the famous "LatelyBass" preset on the Yamaha TX81Z (used extensively on house and techno songs of the late 1980s and 1990s) was based on the bass tone of this song, and subsequently named after it as well. It's titled has also become a sort of catchphrase over the years.

"When I Think of You" has been covered in concert by Swedish artist Robyn, has been sampled by various artists, and it was Janet's first #1 single, making her the youngest artist to obtain a Hot 100 #1 since Stevie Wonder. It is noted for its one-take Julien Temple-directed video, shot on one of the old MGM film studio sets.

"The Pleasure Principle" is noted for its landmark video in which Janet had changed up her look, ditching the big hair and long coats for skintight Guess jeans, straight hair with bangs and little make-up. It featured her performing intricate choreography, alone, in a giant converted warehouse. It became to source of inspiration for many pop stars of the follwing generation, from Britney Spears to The Backstreet Boys.

The New Rolling Stone Album Guide (2004) documented that within two years of the release of "Control", [italic]"a new crop of female singers (such as Paula Abdul and Karyn White) were charged with imitating Janet."[/italic] "Control" has been honored by several music publications in recognition of its impact on the recording industry, including "Rolling Stone's 100 Best Albums of the Eighties", Q magazine's "100 Women Who Rock The World", Slant Magazine's "Vital Pop: 50 Essential Pop Albums", and "Best Albums of the '80s", Vibe magazine's "100 Essential Albums of the 20th Century" and "The Unfadeable 51", and the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame's "The Definitive 200: Top 200 Albums of All-Time". The Guardian described the album's release as one of the 50 key events in the history of R&B and hip hop.

Artists from Aaliyah and Ciara to Britney Spears and Christina Aguilera to Jennfifer Lopez and Toni Braxton have said that various aspects of the "Control" era are the reason they got into show business.

by The Richest Bitchesreply 5403/17/2013

[quote]"What Have You Done for Me Lately" was another pop culture phenomenon.

It's also a good question to ask Janet, considering "Control" came out THIRTY YEARS AGO.

by The Richest Bitchesreply 5503/17/2013

Hi, Janbot. Actually, NOT bullshit.

So far, I've only listened to "Control," which I don't remember having heard before. But I'm going to listen to each of the songs you list. If someone is this passionate about someone or something, maybe it's worth listening to. "Control" doesn't make me lose control, though.

"What Have You Done for Me Lately" is up now. Still that '80s synth sound (not something I liked). But I do recognize it as something I used to dance to. It's a good enough song that I'm putting it in my "Songs I Like" folder on Spotify (my first Janet Jackson record EVER).

Now it's "Nasty." You're right about this one. I remember it from 1987 or so. VERDICT: "Nasty" goes in my "Songs I Like" file, too.

“Rhythm Nation” isn’t a song I like today, and I wouldn’t have liked it BITD. It’s the only station-changer you’ve listed so far, though.

“That’s the Way Love Goes” is kind of boring. I might get to like it if I were to listen to it some more, but I doubt I will listen to it some more.

“When I Think of You” is pretty good, I can tell in just a few seconds. Yes, I do remember it. It’s got harsh, digital sound, but that may be Spotify’s fault. I think I’ll put it in “Songs I Like.”

Now listening to “Together Again.” Kind of smooth jazz until the drum (machine?) kicks in. It’s the kind of listless pop that would have me changing the station every time it came on the radio.

Now it’s “All for You.” WAAAAAAAAAAAAAY overproduced mess. Digital ‘til your ears bleed. This one, Janbot, is all for you.

And now “Escapade.” I can tell it’s at least a little better than “All for You” straightaway. I don’t remember hearing it before, and I won’t be hearing it again. I don’t hate it. It’s just uninvolving.

As for my "anti-Janet Jackson DL thread status," I'm not sure what you're talking about. I don't have an anti-anyone DL thread (well, except for that fuschia and orange apt. in NY's East 70s). You're the anti- guy.

My attitude is that music is something you make friends with people over, not enemies, as you seem to prefer. So thanks, Janbot, for the songs you shared with me today.

Maybe I'll pick up Janet's Top 10 when I'm at Target on Tuesday.

by The Richest Bitchesreply 5603/17/2013

R55, dear. At least she's not putting out a bunch of tired, substandard flops every year, like her aging, desperate peers.

by The Richest Bitchesreply 5703/17/2013

OP, one very wealthy Hollywood power couple - seriously - is Danny DeVito and Rhea Perlman. They just reunited as well.

by The Richest Bitchesreply 5803/17/2013

[quote]As for my "anti-Janet Jackson DL thread status," I'm not sure what you're talking about

"Truly, you won't see me going to Janet Jackson threads and bitching about how awful she is..."

These were your exact words from the Justin Timberlake Suit and Tie thread. While, you're not wholly being bitchy about Janet in this, her thread, you are here. I will relent and give you a pass for not outwardly being snide like some of the other folks have been.

by The Richest Bitchesreply 5903/17/2013

"Bullshit. MAJOR bullshit. You're telling me you've never heard "What Have You Done for Me Lately", "Nasty", "Control", "Rhythm Nation", "That's The Way Love Goes", "When I Think Of You", "Together Again", "All For You", "Escapade", etc.? "

It's totally plausible, if the person you're talking to is under forty.

by The Richest Bitchesreply 6003/17/2013

[quote]It's also a good question to ask Janet, considering "Control" came out THIRTY YEARS AGO.

And in that thirty years, she became the highest paid artist in the history of music--two times, headlined 6 world tours, won countless awards, inspired a generation of pop artists, starred in films, put out many hit songs, sold millions of albums...

by The Richest Bitchesreply 6103/17/2013

r46 & r48, popular music icons like Janet and Madonna usually have one album that is a classic, and another that is their creative masterpiece.

CONTROL is Janet Jackson's classic album, and RHYTHM NATION is her creative masterpiece. If you are not familiar with her work, I would recommend listening to those albums in full.

RHYTHM NATION is one of the most unique albums to this day. When you listen to it, its like a time capsule of 80s and 90s music mushed together perfectly. Sonically, it was like a ball of fire, similar to THRILLER. Very high energy. RN influenced music, especially R&B, for the rest of the early 1990s.

by The Richest Bitchesreply 6203/17/2013

Oh, I was giving you shit in return for your utter and total cuntescence in RE: Justin Timberlake. You should be ashamed for mocking the utter and absolute hotness and fabulosity that is Mr. JT.

Under normal circumstances, i.e., you NOT giving Justin -- what did you call it? -- shade? -- I wouldn't have given a moment's thought to Janet Jackson. She's truly someone who never really registered in my musical world.

Part of it is that I gave up on pop music around this time, partly because after I bought my first 30 CD versions of old favorite records, I realized I didn't much like the way pop and rock CDs sounded. Plus they were all old albums I didn't really want to hear anymore.

So I flipped to classical music, which is where, with exceptions, I basically stayed for the next couple of decades (so much more to buy). Very little pop music (the Replacements, REM, Whitney Houston) got through to me in the 1980s.

by The Richest Bitchesreply 6303/17/2013

This is my favorite cut from RHYTHM NATION. Very powerful beat that is a Jam & Lewis original.

by The Richest Bitchesreply 6403/17/2013

JANET JACKSON'S RHYTHM NATION 1814 (full album linked below)

Some consider it Janet's masterpiece (other's say it was 1997's dark "The Velvet Rope" that was her masterpiece), but one thing that cannot be denied is that 1989's "RN 1814" became a juggernaut of a pop album that not only went on to be the biggest selling album of 1990, but it fully established Janet Jackson as a superstar in her own right, rivaling a pop pantheon occupied by her brother Michael, and it solidified her status as a pop icon. It spoke on various social issues that were making headlines for plaguing the world at the time (bigotry, gun violence, crime, illiteracy), issues that still plague us today, and with recent news stories of gun violence destroying communities, schools and lives, "RN 1814" is still at its peak of relevancy, 24 years later.

"RN 1814" was the biggest selling album of 1990. The world tour that supported the album became the biggest debut tour by any artist in history--a record Janet still holds. The tour sold out a record 7 minutes at the Tokyo Dome, another record that still stands. It was also the highest grossing tour for a female at the US box office at the time.

The album's 7 singles make Janet part of a trifecta of artists who released albums during the decade to place 7 singles from one album in the Hot 100 top 10 (the others being Michael Jackson's "Thriller" and Bruce Springsteen's "Born in the USA"). "RN 1814"'s singles all went top 5, while "Thriller" and "BITUSA"'s singles went top 10, which puts "RN" slightly ahead of the other two in that regard.

"RN" is also the only album to ever achieve Hot 100 #1 hits in 3 seperate calendar years ("Miss You Much" in 1989, "Escapade" and "Black Cat" in 1990 and "Love Will Never Do (Without You)" in 1991).

When "Black Cat" garnered Janet a nomination for Best Rock Vocal-female at the 1990 Grammy Awards, it helped her to become the only artist ever to be nominated in the Rock, Pop, R&B, Dance and Rap catergories at the Grammys.

Janet won MTV's coveted Vanguard Award for the album in 1990

In 1991, Janet won a record 15 Billboard Awards in one night for "RN 1514", which in time helped her achieve her total 33 BB awards--more than any other artist male or female.

Over the years, various aspects of the album and Janet's look during the era have been tributed in video and fashion, with Kim Fields donning a "RN"-era outfit in an episode of the sitcom "Living Single", R&B artist Keri Hilson tributing the "RN" look in her "Pretty Girl Rock" video, and P!nk covering the song "Rhythm Nation" for the 2011 film "Happy Feet 2".

The iconic video for the #2 single "Rhythm Nation" is noted for it's stark black and white imagery and its break-neck paced, intricate militant choreography. It has inspired a host of future pop artists, male and female, in their performance style. Lady Gaga's "Alejandro" video was noted for its "RN"-esque militant vibe, Chris Brown's "Yeah 3X" video was noted for mimicking Janet's "Alright", and the chair sequence in Britney Spears's "Stronger" video was likened to the chair sequence at the end of Janet's "Miss You Much" video. British artist Peter Andre said that his "Defender" video was a direct tribute to the "Rhythm Nation" video.

In the Herb Ritts-directed video for 1991's "Love Will Never Do (Without You)", Janet shed her military garb and strutted around a California desert in a blond upswept wig, tight blue jeans and a black tank top, ushering in a new, bold image of a woman who was finally comfortable in her own sexy skin.

The #1 "Black Cat" came with a video directed by noted rock music video director Wayne Isham. Janet penned the lyrics herself, and produced it with The Time's Jellybean Johnson. The video for the #1 song "Escapade" was shot at Universal Studios's Old Mexico area (just as Lady Gaga's "Judas" would be many years later). Janet had intended to remake Martha and the Vandellas's "Nowhere To Run", but she and her producers ultimately decided to create their own song instead.

by The Richest Bitchesreply 6503/17/2013

You are one seriously creepy person Janbot.

by The Richest Bitchesreply 6603/17/2013

A film short was created to be released in conjunction with the "RN 1814" album. It captured a dark, slightly futuristic inner city landscape and was likened to Ridley Scott's "Blade Runner" (both films had scenes shot at LA's Bradbury Building).

The mini-movie was directed by film director Dominic Sena ("Kalifornia", "Swordfish"), and went on to win a Grammy Award for Best Music Video-Long Form. It co-starred actors Tyrin Turner, who would later appear in the movie "Meance II Society", and Joshua Miller--brother to actor Jason Patric and son of actor Jason Miller, who was known for his roles in the movies "Teen Witch" and "Near Dark".

by The Richest Bitchesreply 6703/17/2013

The video for the song "The Knowledge" was taken from the "RN" film short, and featured Janet dancing angrily on a rooftop. Years later, critics noted a similarity in the end sequence of her brother MJ's "Black or White" video, which also showed him smashing glass and dancing wildly on a rain-soaked set.

"The Knowledge" was Michael's favorite song from "RN 1814", and he said in an interview that he often practiced his dancing to it.

by The Richest Bitchesreply 6803/17/2013

R59, I really didn't say anything bad about her. I just quoted your diatribe about how Justin ruined her life.

by The Richest Bitchesreply 6903/17/2013

Christ R39, you're unhinged, snap out of it. Are you that stupid that you believe everything that is ever "reported" about a celebrity? Selma happens to be very humble and down to Earth. Even though she is married to a Billionaire, she has been known to crawl in a cow filled pasture to make sure her daughter has milk to drink at breakfast.

by The Richest Bitchesreply 7003/17/2013

"Selma happens to be very humble and down to Earth. Even though she is married to a Billionaire, she has been known to crawl in a cow filled pasture to make sure her daughter has milk to drink at breakfast."

OMG, are you fucking high? Hayek "humble" and "down to earth"?

by The Richest Bitchesreply 7103/18/2013

There is something fishy about Janet's marraige coming off the heels of the kidnapping of her mother and slapping of her neice. I find the 150 mill estimate of her wealth highly doubtful...I don't care if its a Forbes estimate or not.

by The Richest Bitchesreply 7203/18/2013

[quote]There is something fishy about Janet's marraige coming off the heels of the kidnapping of her mother and slapping of her neice.

You idiot. She never kidnapped her mother, and she never touched her niece, nor did she call her a bitch--both claim which Paris herself refuted.

[quote]I find the 150 mill estimate of her wealth highly doubtful...I don't care if its a Forbes estimate or not.

That's because you're jealous.

by The Richest Bitchesreply 7303/18/2013

bump!

by The Richest Bitchesreply 7401/07/2015
Need more help? Click Here.