Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

New fed tax form for RDP couples in NV, WA or CA

If you are part of a RDP (Registered Domestic Partnership) in WA, NV or CA ... or a same sex married couple in CA ... be aware that there is now a new IRS form, designed to facilitate the division of your "community income" items to your separate federal returns.

Form 8958 is linked below. While the instructions suggest this is a preliminary version of the form which you have to check to see if it is later revised, the "official" version of the form - released 3/4 - is identical except for some minor graphics, so no such verification is needed.

Since it is a new form, and wasn't approved until late, it is very possible that consumer tax software (and some cheaper professional software packages) may not include it. This is not really a problem, as the IRS will also accept a plain-paper schedule with the necessary allocations to each separate returnaccommodate it. However, I strongly suggest you review the INSTRUCTIONS that accompany the form, which gives basic guidance on how to do the allocations, and what items are included/excluded from community property. You can also refer to IRS Pub 555 (available at which covers community property issues in more detail.

by TaxTrollEAreply 003/16/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!