Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Advice and Opinion Please

It's time a get a new phone. I've had this flip phone for years and it is now being held together with glue and duct tape. Yeah, yeah, I know.

I have ATT unlimited phone and text and pay 45 a month. I've been talking to people and they say I pay too much for what I have., I fucking hate it. What are good carriers? Let's say I wanted phone (don't use the phone much so can be limited), unlimited text (I do use texting a lot), and much should I pay? I've looked and Virgin Moblie has a plan as low as 35 (with data too). U. S. Cellular is expensive as is Cellcom. Straight Talk is cheap but that's Walmart. Sprint? Others?

I don't travel a great deal so a wide-ranging calling area is of no consequence to me. I don't think I'd use much more than the 1G of data per month plans (whatever the hell that is). I'd like a good camera and video camera. I'd like to keep my number. The prepaid plans look less expensive than contracts.

So, what DOES it mean when it says "1G' per month? What does an "unlocked" phone mean? I appreciate your advice. If there is anywhere you can recommend for me to go for some sort of tutorial, that's be cool. Thanks!

by Anonymousreply 1103/15/2013

I'm in the same boat.

What do people think about Andoid phones, and Consumer Cellular? I've had a recommendation there.

by Anonymousreply 103/15/2013

I'm happy to answer all of your questions.

First - figure out who your provider will be.

Are you happy with the phone service of your current provider? Do you drop a lot of calls? Are the calls clear? Do you always or mostly always have a strong signal where you are?

Ask people who live near you if they like their provider. Do they get good coverage. Verizon covers Los Angeles the best. AT&T is constantly dropping calls in LA. This is because Verizon has more cell towers in LA. In Boston, AT&T gives the best coverage.

Second - go to the provider's store and take a look at the phones. Which one do you like visually. What feels good in your hand? Do you want a full keyboard or touch screen? Etc. Might as well buy something you like, since you'll be using it and carrying it nearly everywhere.

Third - now that you know what type of phone you want (generally), it's time to figure out what phone to buy and then what calling and data package you'll use for it.

The phone will cost you. Then each month you'll pay a fee to make calls, texts and use the internet on your phone.

Usually people purchase unlimited calling and texting plans.

Data plans basically are for using the internet. Are you going to use your phone to surf the web and watch lots of youtube videos, etc? Uploading and downloading videos, streaming videos - those are the activities that use a lot of data. That's what the 1G means. 1Gig of data use per month. If you don't watch many videos, etc. you won't near 1G.

by Anonymousreply 203/15/2013

Here's a list of the top phones available on the market, with the providers.

by Anonymousreply 303/15/2013

That is very nice of you R2. I guess I'd like a smart phone, I guess it's time to take the plunge. ATT here (NE WI), is only ok. There are places in my own house where the calls are spotty.

I'm not fussy about how it looks. But I'd like a touch screen.

I don't see myself downloading movies or a lot of music. But does streaming videos take a lot of juice and space? Do youtube videos? What about apps? Do they take a lot of the 1G? I don't make a lot of phone calls (hardly any) but do text a lot.

by Anonymousreply 403/15/2013

Metro PCS. Cheap as they come. I pay $40 a month for essentially unlimited use.

by Anonymousreply 503/15/2013

I love that you are going to treat yourself to a smartphone, which is really a small computer that also makes calls.

I had many of the same questions and concerns you have when I was purchasing my first smartphone.

I say treat yourself to the new iPhone 5. It's basically a gorgeous, mini computer, camera, video recorder, video player, web brower, texting machine - and more. It will only cost you about $199 if you sign up for a two year plan. Then it's really just about how much money you will pay each month.

Before you take the plunge - call AT&T and have a representative walk you through the various plans. What each one offers and how much it costs each month.

Question: do you have wifi in your house?

by Anonymousreply 603/15/2013

The metro pcs seems like a quality option. Here's a list of the plans they offer.

The first plan would cover just about everything you could hope to do on your phone.

by Anonymousreply 703/15/2013

And here's a Samsung version of the iPhone. Touch screen, texts, etc.

by Anonymousreply 803/15/2013

Two other things to know about smart phones.

1. Storage space. Some people want to save lots of pictures and videos on their phones. Whole movies sometimes. That requires a lot of space. There will often be different types of the same phone available for higher and higher prices, depending on the storage space they come with. Example, a phone might come with 4GB, 8GB, 16GB, 32GB or 64GB. If you aren't planning on having tons of video on your phone, feel free to get less storage.

2. Apps. What are apps? They are mini programs that do one particular function really well. In some ways, smartphones are just like your home computer - you can open up an internet brower and surf the net. Unlike your home computer, its a lot slower on the phone. Certain pages take a long time to load and frankly, pages are designed to fit a large computer screen - not a little phone.

That's where apps come in. Apps are mini programs (many are free) that you can download right onto your phone. These programs might be a calculator, a flashlight or specifically designed to open up your favorite webpage (yelp, google maps, etc.)

Apps do take up some storage space, but nothing like songs or videos.

by Anonymousreply 903/15/2013

The reason I ask about your home wifi is that smartphones will use the wifi network in your home for all the data stuff. So you can use unlimited data, surfing, streaming, etc on your home network and not use up any of your phone's data plan while home.

by Anonymousreply 1003/15/2013

I have a cable modem at home R10. I surely do appreciate this great advice thus far.

by Anonymousreply 1103/15/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!