Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

What ON EARTH does this mean?

I downloaded some sort of app, except it's not an app, it's something else, I think.

I got the link here from someone on DL who uses it to watch British TV shows from the USA that would otherwise be blocked.

So, I registered and it worked. I was so happy, I was dancing about, so enthused was I...then it stopped working and I got an email saying I needed to pay, actually I'll copy & paste what it says:-

[quote]We have noticed that you have used your free 100 MB of Secure Data Transfer. Please be aware that you are no longer securely connecting through the PrivateTunnel.com service, your Private Tunnel to the Internet. Please Click Here to purchase 50 GB of Secure Data Transfer for only $12 USD.

The point of this long winded post is:

How many minutes of TV watching is 50GB? Anyone know? Do you think it's worth it?

I'll link to the site just in case anyone's interested, not because I'm a troll or a freeper or any other horrid sort of person, I may be mistaken for. I promise.

by Anonymousreply 903/15/2013

What's the app called, and on what sort of device are you using it?

by Anonymousreply 103/15/2013

I'm on a PC. Windows 7.

[quote]What's the app called

I haven't a clue.

by Anonymousreply 203/15/2013

It may be some sort of idiot tax.

by Anonymousreply 303/15/2013

50GB is quite a bit of time but the exact amount is entirely dependent on the quality and source of video. I'm not familiar with your service so can't recommend for or against it but I do suggest a week's free trial of unblock-us. After that you can either pay $5/month, swap your IP and sign up for a new trial or go back to Private Tunnel.

by Anonymousreply 403/15/2013

Check torrent sites like Pirate Bay.

You'll see that shows like The Simpsons or 2 Broke Girls (which run around 25 minutes without commercial breaks) are around 175 MB which is decent quality. There are also high quality resoltions in the range of 650 MB that look a great deal more detailed and better but of course may take longer to download and take more bandwith and download credit.

Then there are shows like The Vampire Diaries, Arrow, Pretty Little Liars, The Amazing Race, Survivor, etc. (which run around 45 minutes without commercial breaks) and the files can be around 350 MB for decent quality or from 950MB to 1.4 GB for high quality resolutions.

It depends on your preferences (which shows you like and in what kind of quality you would like them to download) to determine how long the 50 GB download credit will last.

by Anonymousreply 503/15/2013

Thanks for the very helpful feedback.

Much appreciated.

by Anonymousreply 603/15/2013

OP don't know wth that is but there are other options. One of them is torrents. The other option is to pay on one of the biggest filesharing sites (uploaded.to, Turbobit etc) and then download all you want (not only British shows). There are many films/tv blogs that post downloads and use these filesharing sites like the one below. I've been paying for an account on uploaded.to for a year and am very satisfied with them. You can also dl-ed from all those filesharing sites for free but it's a lot slower.

by Anonymousreply 703/15/2013

If you go the downloading route look for .mkv files. Small size, high quality. A word of warning: downloading is illegal (though chances of being caught are minimal), streaming is not.

by Anonymousreply 803/15/2013

Thanks, R7.

But I like watching all sorts of stuff on foreign sites. Browsing about, clicking onto news clips etc...and it's a drag when you're told you can't watch it from where you are.

by Anonymousreply 903/15/2013
Need more help? Click Here.