Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

I'm considering trying a gluten-free diet for arthritis relief

If you have tried going gluten-free, do you have any tips for me? Did it help decrease inflammation? I have a lot of pain due to arthritis and need help.

by Anonymousreply 1303/19/2013

bump

by Anonymousreply 103/16/2013

I haven't done it, OP, but there's something called the Virgin Diet (Virgin is her last name), whose premise is that if you eliminate either 7 or 9 foods from your diet, things like arthritis (and lots of pounds) will also be eliminated.

by Anonymousreply 203/16/2013

I knew a young guy back in the 90s who had had such bad arthritis by his late teens he couldn't walk and was in constant agony. He went to a detox clinic in South Africa and 'dried out' of standard foods and only drank bottled water.

Once he'd been starved clean he could feel benefits and started on a diet on raw fruit and vegetables, all he ever ate from that point on. Can't remember the exact science but he was training for a marathon when I knew him.

Probably an extreme case but as Gillian McKeith says, in between inhaling turgid faeces, you are what you eat.

by Anonymousreply 303/19/2013

Op, will we be seeing you on the land this year? As long as you aren't penised, that is.

by Anonymousreply 403/19/2013

I'm sorry Op, I had to throw in the Michfest thing at r4 but I do hope you are ok and that it works. I have friends who swear by the raw food thing and I bet it works well but I can't do it, I love meat too much.

by Anonymousreply 503/19/2013

I had problems with gluten. For one hour long episode of my life

by Anonymousreply 603/19/2013

OP try a turmeric supplement (get one that includes piperine (sp?) in it as well) for the inflammation. Gluten free might help but most people who aren't gluten intolerant would benefit as much just be reducing the amount of starchy, carby shit they eat.... much of which happens to be attached to gluten.

by Anonymousreply 703/19/2013

Be sure to talk about it constantly.

by Anonymousreply 803/19/2013

I live basically gluten-free and low carb, and it has helped inflammatory conditions in my body considerably. These include arthritis and acne. Wheat and carbs are basically inflammatory, so the less of those you can eat, and the more protein, fat and low carb vegetables, the better for you if you are prone to inflammatory problems.

by Anonymousreply 903/19/2013

There are diets for MS that reduce inflammation, which also work for arthritis. It's basically cutting out all saturated fats from your diet - look up Professor George Jelinek or Doctor Roy Swank, both doctors who've used diet to help with MS. There is a lot of evidence that shows the link between inflammation and fats, and it's not like you need to be eating a load of junk. For a lot of people it's a genetic predisposition that is triggered by even low levels of saturates.

They advocate a vegan diet, and it's surprising how many doctors say a vegan diet can help with all sorts of illnesses. There's also UV light therapy, depends which type of arthritis you have but it can help a lot.

Hope you feel better soon.

by Anonymousreply 1003/19/2013

I have a friend with MS who has gone gluten free and it's helped a lot. At first she was trying gluten-free substitutes, like bread and pasta, but was getting frustrated because they were so off. Her diet mostly consists of fruit and vegetables, fish and chicken. She lost 25 lbs and feels great. The best part is that her preteen daughters, who were well on their way to becoming fat, also slimmed down because they eat this way as a family.

by Anonymousreply 1103/19/2013

I concur. Cutting out sugar, flour, wheat, added starch, and excess salt really reduces my inflammation. I have an autoimmune disease. I do eat carbs on occasion: sweet potato, organic brown rice, and some oat bran in recipes. I don't voluntarily disclose my diet to people, but it does require being kind of sneaky when you're dining with others. Some of them wonder what's "wrong" and can look at you like you're as much of a douche as someone who talks about it all the time. It's kind of lose-lose in that regard. But it's your body, so just dismiss ignorant people like that.

by Anonymousreply 1203/19/2013

... another thing you might try for arthritis relief is Montmorency cherry (aka tart cherry) juice or juice concentrate.

www.amazon.com/Tart-Smart-Cherry-Concentrate-32-Ounce/dp/B001CFMGGI

by Anonymousreply 1303/19/2013
Need more help? Click Here.