Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Meryl Streep

Why didn't she ever film the Greer Garson Story?

by Anonymousreply 4903/19/2013

Because she's a bitch.

by Anonymousreply 103/15/2013

Did Greer Garson every do anything interesting away from the camera, something that would rate a biopic?

Because God knows she didn't do anything interesting while filming.

by Anonymousreply 203/15/2013

She should've played Deborah Kerr.

by Anonymousreply 303/15/2013

Because no one under 60 has any idea who Greer Garson was.

by Anonymousreply 403/15/2013

Garson's personal life wasn't interesting to warrant a biopic.

But if ever there was, Garson should be played by Kate Winslet.

And thank you for the thread, OP. I like Greer Garson; it's nice that she's remembered on DL.

by Anonymousreply 503/15/2013

Streep has a strong resemblance to Garson.

by Anonymousreply 603/15/2013

Because she's not a cinematographer.

by Anonymousreply 703/15/2013

There is, R6. But I'd worry that 63 year old Streep wouldn't be able to play the younger Garson. The MGM years maybe, prior to that I doubt it.

Although Garson herself was a late bloomer and somewhat matronly so maybe she could.

Since Garson wouldn't be fulfilling enough for a solo biopic the should make a movie I've wanted made for years:

"Metro", about the studio and various stars who worked at MGM.

Cast it, DL.

by Anonymousreply 803/15/2013

Greer Garson? I think she only has one Oscar? Her life can't possibly be that interesting.

I'm currently researching Hilary Clinton, the sculptor and I went to see Ann on Broadway with Holland Taylor so I could get some research in on the poor dear (see photo.)

Any insights into Hil's personality? You guys know how I always like to have my character's have a secret they ruminate over....I don't usually tell my secrets but I think for Hilary my secret will be that she always knew about all the bimbo's performing oral sex on Bill and secretly thought...well better them than me!

Anyway, keep in touch. If all goes well this could be #5 (#4 for August) and knock that old Hepburn record to smithereens.

by Anonymousreply 903/15/2013

oops the photo!

ohhh Gabby Gifford that could be award worthy stuff too but it is a little to Lifetime.....maybe Valerie Bertinelli could do it....or even Mamie.

by Anonymousreply 1003/15/2013

Greer Garson was a slut who married a man young enough to be her husband.

by Anonymousreply 1103/15/2013

Why not the Greer Garson Story AFTER filming the NORMA SHEARER STORY?!?!?

by Anonymousreply 1203/16/2013

Dear R11:

"Young enough to be her husband?"

Let's try this again, shall we? She married Richard Ney, the guy who played her son in Mrs. Miniver.

by Anonymousreply 1303/16/2013

R12, that would be shockingly wrong!

by Anonymousreply 1403/16/2013

Because with her witch nose and basset hound eyes she couldn't pass for Greer Garson. Meryl only imitates ugly women. She may be an actress but she's not a shapeshifter.

by Anonymousreply 1503/16/2013

I think the only thing interesting about GG is that she was on record for having the longest speech when she won her Oscar. She was also pregant...

by Anonymousreply 1603/16/2013

No, r16. Garson marrying Ney - younger man who had played her son - was quite a scandal at the time.

But Garson was a real Irish beauty and, as has been pointed out, Streep couldn't pull that off (besides being 25 years too old at least for the 1940s Garson).

by Anonymousreply 1703/16/2013

Greer Garson wasn't beautiful, but L.B. Mayer thought she was the hottest thing in the studio.

There are old rumors that she owed her success in the 40s to an affair with Mayer.

by Anonymousreply 1803/16/2013

Streep is 63. I don't think she'll be doing anyone's "story" unless she plays the later years. I would like to see her do more comedy.

by Anonymousreply 1903/16/2013

Greer Garson is the star of the month for March on TCM

Every Monday night they will have a Greer Garson film festival.

by Anonymousreply 2003/16/2013

She may not have been a classical beauty, but Greer Garson could look quite stunning on film. She was just one of those actresses.

I love her in "Blossoms in the Dust" (1941) in which she plays Edna Gladney, who worked tirelessly to correct the public stigma attached to illegitimate children in the 1910s. A virtually forgotten historical moment and figure, Garson lends a certain grace and humanity to the entire proceedings. It's filmed in color which adds a velvety vivid backdrop to a sad, serious subject for its time.

Marsha Hunt playing Charlotte, a grown woman whose illegitimacy ruins her life, is really unforgettable.

by Anonymousreply 2103/16/2013

Meryl also has her own beauty - the camera loves her. Every female actress has had deficits that get covered up, even in the golden age of cinema. I would love to see Meryl play Olivia Da Havilind.

by Anonymousreply 2203/16/2013

I think Meryl's beautiful. I know I can't be the only one.

by Anonymousreply 2303/16/2013

Always thought Susan Sarandon should have done a Bette Davis biopic. Maybe focusing on the All About Eve comeback, her hard living times with Gary Merrill. Think SS resembled BD in that contact. Not sure she could do the BD accent, and she certainly is too old now.

by Anonymousreply 2403/16/2013

So would I, r22. But only if she could play her dead.

by Anonymousreply 2503/16/2013

Dear M/R9,

Just remember that one of yours is for Supporting. (I did a supporting role in 1995, my first and only after 60 years in the biz.)

So you'll need three more leading Oscars to "blow my record to smithereens," as you so delicately put it. The third for August might be a possibility but the Hilary Clinton story is still in your head.

Of course if the one woman show about Ann R. makes it to the big screen, we assume you'll steal it from Holland.

Hugs,

Kate.

by Anonymousreply 2603/16/2013

This thread is making me wish Meryl had played Hedda Hopper in that RKO film. Would have been hysterical in that period. Or something glitzy with Jodie Foster and Emma Stone. They should let gays pitch movies.

by Anonymousreply 2703/16/2013

I always thought Streep was generous to cite Hepburn and Davis as influences.

by Anonymousreply 2803/16/2013

[quote]I always thought Streep was generous to cite Hepburn and Davis as influences.

Davis definitely is an influence, Streep has mentioned her a few times. Hepburn probably isn't an influence (and thank God).

More than likely she said that to handle Hepburn's comments about her supposed lack of skill gracefully.

Streep is a million times that actress that Hepburn ever was.

by Anonymousreply 2903/19/2013

I would hope the central piece of any Greer Garson biopic would be her narrating "The Little Drummer Boy" for Rankin-Bass.

by Anonymousreply 3003/19/2013

[quote]I would hope the central piece of any Greer Garson biopic would be her narrating "The Little Drummer Boy" for Rankin-Bass.

And that would be a highlight? If so, a Garson biopic shouldn't be made due to lack of drama.

What other biopics could M make?

by Anonymousreply 3103/19/2013

[R8] The Curious Case of Benjamin Button. Actors don't have to be the age of their characters anymore =p

by Anonymousreply 3203/19/2013

[quote] The Curious Case of Benjamin Button. Actors don't have to be the age of their characters anymore

No, that wouldn't work.

by Anonymousreply 3303/19/2013

Films where movie stars play other movie stars are always dreadful.

by Anonymousreply 3403/19/2013

[quote] Films where movie stars play other movie stars are always dreadful.

They should be banned. Retroactively.

by Anonymousreply 3503/19/2013

You don't get sarcasm very well, do ya R31?

by Anonymousreply 3603/19/2013

The queen at r26 cannot count.

In the event of Meryl amassing 4 lead Oscars (by career end), she'd have 5 acting Oscars: 4 lead, one supporting.

That is one Oscar more than Hepburn's 4 lead Oscars, even if you discount Meryl's supporting Oscar as a 'half Oscar' (which is silly, but let's go along with it).

In that case Meryl would have 4 1/2 to Hepburn's 4.

Meryl wins.

by Anonymousreply 3703/19/2013

[quote]Streep is a million times that actress that Hepburn ever was.

"Bringing up Baby" or "It's Complicated."

by Anonymousreply 3803/19/2013

r38, nobody has ever claimed 'It's Complicated' is representative of Streep's career, the way 'Baby' is of Hepburn's.

You're doing your goddess no favor by comparing her best film to Streep's weakest effort.

Also, 'Bringing Up Baby' is good because of its script and director; Hepburn's acting talent is hardly the most essential ingredient in it. Movie presence and charm? Yes. Acting talent? Negligible.

Streep, meanwhile, elevates any weak material by way of her talent. Quite the opposite case.

KH lucked out 4 times at the Oscars. Because she was such a popular movie star, dimwits like you can't help thinking she also was a great acting talent. She was not.

Meryl indeed was generous for (politely) citing Hepburn as an 'influence'. NB she only ever said this once. Bette Davis, on the other hand, is constantly referred to as a role model by Streep.

by Anonymousreply 3903/19/2013

She's not pretty enough.

by Anonymousreply 4103/19/2013

I don't eat shit. That's gross.

by Anonymousreply 4203/19/2013

I eat Meryl's shit after she had a big bowl of chili.

by Anonymousreply 4303/19/2013

[quote]"Bringing up Baby" or "It's Complicated."

"Dragon Seed" or "Sophie's Choice".

[quote]Films where movie stars play other movie stars are always dreadful.

True, a lot of the time they are and often because "a name" is cast instead of the best actor for the job. But they don't have to be bad.

by Anonymousreply 4403/19/2013

R37, Meryl doesn't have them yet so it doesn't count until she does. The one for August is pretty doubtful (yeah, they'll give her another one this soon after making her wait thirty years for the third) so I think Kate's bones can rest in peace.

And Hepburn was as good an actress as Bette Davis, who has as many mannerisms as Kate.

by Anonymousreply 4503/19/2013

Lot of tweets last night saying that the first test screening of August: Osage County has been held and that Meryl could be looking at another Oscar.

by Anonymousreply 4603/19/2013

[quote]And Hepburn was as good an actress as Bette Davis, who has as many mannerisms as Kate.

Davis was far superior.

Meryl could very well win her fourth Oscar next year depending on the competition. Could "A:OC" sweep? Could Amy Adams playing Janis Joplin receive some attention?

by Anonymousreply 4703/19/2013

Streep was rumored to be in negotiations to play Greer in 1988 with Oliver Stone directing and Val Kilmer as Walter Pidgeon and Mandy Patinkin as L.B. Mayer. The script, by Wendy Wasserstein, was only loosely based on Garson's actual life. It concerned a Dublin drag queen, Miles Mushley, who longs to be an MGM star and is discovered in a Temple Bar men's room by a trolling Alexander Korda (Richard Dreyfuss) and Merle Oberon (Mia Sara). Smitten with Miles, Korda and Oberon connive to put Miles over as the great Irish beauty and tragedienne Greer Garson. Among those who vied for the part of Greer were Madeline Potter, Lisa Pelikan, Allison Elliott and Guy Pierce.

by Anonymousreply 4803/19/2013

Meryl has VERY stiff competition next year - Judi Dench in Philomena. And everyone knows Dench is going blind and may not have many more chances, and she's under-Oscared.

by Anonymousreply 4903/19/2013
Need more help? Click Here.