Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Sen. Rob Portman (R-OH) Reverses Gay Marriage Stance After Son Comes Out

03/15/2013

Sen. Rob Portman (R-Ohio) has reversed his stance on same-sex marriage two years after learning that his son is gay, several Ohio news outlets, including the Columbus Dispatch and the Cleveland Plain Dealer, reported Friday.

In an interview with Ohio reporters in his Senate office, Portman said that his son, Will, came out to the senator and his wife in February 2011.

"It allowed me to think of this issue from a new perspective, and that's of a Dad who loves his son a lot and wants him to have the same opportunities that his brother and sister would have -- to have a relationship like Jane and I have had for over 26 years," Portman said.

Portman said that his son, who is now a junior at Yale University, inspired him to reassess his position on same-sex unions. The senator also consulted clergy on the matter, as well as friends such as former Vice President Dick Cheney, whose daughter Mary is openly gay. According to Portman, Cheney told the senator to "follow [his] heart" on the matter.

"The overriding message of love and compassion that I take from the Bible, and certainly the Golden Rule, and the fact that I believe we are all created by our maker, that has all influenced me in terms of my change on this issue," Portman said.

Portman's announcement comes just days before the Supreme Court hears arguments on the Defense Of Marriage Act, the federal ban on same-sex marriage. Portman co-sponsored the measure as a member of the U.S. House in 1996. And in 2009, Portman voted for a measure prohibiting same-sex couples in Washington state from adopting children.

In 2011, Portman's "openly hostile" record on gay rights led to hundreds of students at the University of Michigan objecting to the senator speaking at the school's graduation ceremony.

"Rob believes marriage is a sacred bond between one man and one woman," a Portman spokesman told the Plain Dealer at the time of the protest.

Portman, who was considered by 2012 Republican presidential nominee Mitt Romney as a potential running mate, says that he informed Romney about his son's sexual orientation.

"I told Mitt Romney everything," Portman told CNN. "That process is, intrusive would be one way to put it. But, no, yeah, I told him everything."

The senator also said that Romney's campaign told him that his son's sexuality was not part of the decision to select Rep. Paul Ryan (R-Wis.) over Portman.

by Anonymousreply 17803/26/2013

Intriguing. I would have liked to have been a fly on the wall when his son came out to him - lots of crazy Republican fireworks, I'm sure. What's the son like?

by Anonymousreply 203/15/2013

Pathetic and oh so typical of Repugs. Nothing matters until it personally effects them and theirs. Assholes.

by Anonymousreply 303/15/2013

This is big news. I think this is the first time a Republican Senator (and a prominent one at that) takes this position. Portman was one of the top choices to be Romney's V.P. nominee last year.

by Anonymousreply 403/15/2013

The change is good, but how typically Republican: I've changed my mind because I now have a personal stake in the issue.

by Anonymousreply 503/15/2013

Is the son hot?

by Anonymousreply 603/15/2013

It's not big news. It's the same news as always. Repug fucktard finds the light when either he or his family are affected. He won't convince any of the other Repug fucktards to change because, being Repug fucktards, they will only change when personally affected. See Cheney, Friess (the McCain funder) and, now, Portman.

by Anonymousreply 703/15/2013

I think Friess is the Santorum funder, R7

by Anonymousreply 803/15/2013

This is the difference between democrats and republicans. It seems like republicans can only change their mind when it becomes about their own son or daughter. Why can't they care about someone else's son or daughter.

by Anonymousreply 903/15/2013

totally agree R3

by Anonymousreply 1003/15/2013

Republicans don't have much capacity for empathy, r9, so as others here have said this kind of thing only matters to them if it affects them directly.

This is good news for his son but unless and until Portman influences other powerful Republicans to change their own backwards views (unlikely), it's not meaningful in the grand scheme of things.

by Anonymousreply 1103/15/2013

And he had to consult clergy to help make up his mind. Weak sheep.

A mind is a terrible thing to waste.

by Anonymousreply 1203/15/2013

Well, it's still historic in the sense that there is a now a prominent Republican Senator who has said this, R11, and it will be harder for the GOP to portray this as just a Democratic issue as in the past.

by Anonymousreply 1303/15/2013

Well, at least he didn't throw his child out like Alan Keyes did to his lesbian daughter.

Why is it that bigoted people only change when it effects them personally?

What I like about liberal-minded people is many do have empathy for issues and people that don't really remotely effect their own lives. Conservatives just aren't like that. They need it to hit home before changing their world view.

I know this guy who was a Bush supported. Bashed liberal and commies, blah blah blah. After Katrina hit and he saw the incompetence of the Bush Admin did he become critical of Bush. I guess it was okay to kill innocent Iraqis, but now you're messing with my home!

by Anonymousreply 1403/15/2013

Does this end his chances for being considered as V.P. again? He was one of Romney's top choices for a running mate last year.

by Anonymousreply 1503/15/2013

Judging from the picture of his family at link below, I'd say BOTH of his sons (Will AND Jed) are pretty darn gay.

by Anonymousreply 1603/15/2013

So it looks like Portman has 2 sons. Will, the one that came out, is just 21. And the other son, Jed, is 22.

by Anonymousreply 1703/15/2013

Maybe if his son came out as poor or Hispanic he would actually become progressive.

by Anonymousreply 1803/15/2013

Cheney telling someone to follow his heart...

by Anonymousreply 1903/15/2013

It surprises me though that a conservative Republican would even bother to change his stance in that way.

Usually they are like 'well, that is a private matter that will not have any influence on my social standing, political career, public opinion, business, etc.' while putting the gay relative aside and saying 'you know, while I will never ever say something nice about gays in public I will always love you ... as long as you do what I say!'.

I'd guess that Portman is trying to pull something similar like Chris Christie and make himself look like a moderate and a people's person who cares more about regular people and their problems than about doing the 1%'s bidding.

by Anonymousreply 2003/15/2013

I always see this sort of thing as God's little mindfuck to homophobes. They have to eat a lot of crow & reflect on their behavior toward gay members of society & then they switch sides & are our greatest asset.

by Anonymousreply 2103/15/2013

The SOB wants equality for his child but apparently didn't want it for the children of others. Fuck the SOB

by Anonymousreply 2303/15/2013

Stories like this are exactly why it's important for people to come out. These homophobes rarely even consider changing their stance on gay rights until something close to home happens (a family member or close friend comes out).

by Anonymousreply 2403/15/2013

R22, why would you think of something like that? Incest between the brothers?

by Anonymousreply 2503/15/2013

Good think he represents Ohio, not Mississippi.

by Anonymousreply 2603/15/2013

r24. That only works when these conservatives actually believe in what they are saying. Most of them are in it for the money and just claim to be Christian family value concerned conservatives.

Look at Log Cabin Rebpulicans. They value their own greed and unresolved parent issues above their own dignity and pride. Being gay or having gay relatives doesn't make you automatically a more gay accepting person if that would get in the way of reaching your own goals in life.

by Anonymousreply 2703/15/2013

R 25 I knew many brothers that had sex with one another, it was always the older brother aniciating the sex, always the younger brother giving the older brother oral & then when they grew up,the older brother would live a straight life, while the younger brother would live a gay lifestyle

by Anonymousreply 2803/15/2013

True, R26. Portman is lucky he represents a swing state where this may not be as politically damaging. If he represented a hardcore Republican state, his own career might be in danger from a primary challenge on the right.

by Anonymousreply 2903/15/2013

[quote]I knew many brothers that had sex with one another

I'm sure it happens in rare cases, but I doubt it is quite as common as you seem to think. Yes there are brothers like The Peters Twins (Bel Ami) that have sex with one another, but I don't think it's something that many brothers get up to.

by Anonymousreply 3003/15/2013

Where he said he consulted with "clergy" I believe he was referring to an ordained pollster.

But, seriously, whenever one of these guys wakes up on marriage equality -- and, let's face it, many of our straight friends, even, have woken up on this issue over the past decade -- all we can be is thankful. We have to allow people to learn and become smarter.

by Anonymousreply 3103/15/2013

The folks at Free Republic are FURIOUS with Portman:

by Anonymousreply 3203/15/2013

r30, gay incest and having gay experiences during puberty are still a big taboo for the general public. With every single case where one guy admits to gay incest or gay experiences during puberty there are at least five cases who keep quiet out of society inflicted shame (causing them to lash out in different ways, like anger management issues, drug addiction, OCD, etc.).

by Anonymousreply 3303/15/2013

Portman says he told Romney that his son was gay:

by Anonymousreply 3403/15/2013

Wasn't Paul's VP pick paid for by someone like the Koch Bros and Romney just accepted the money?

by Anonymousreply 3503/15/2013

There was a rumor of that, R35, but it was never confirmed.

by Anonymousreply 3603/15/2013

r36, it would fit Romney's narcissistic persona to not care about who is VP since he's calling the shots anyway and he may as well get more money in his greedy pocket in the process.

by Anonymousreply 3703/15/2013

I agree with R22. Just one look at Jed and Will and you just know they've experimented with some brotherly love.

by Anonymousreply 3803/15/2013

Will Portman told his father and mother he is gay two years ago, when he was a freshman at Yale University.

"My son came to Jane, my wife, and I, told us that he was gay, and that it was not a choice, and that it's just part of who he is, and that's who he'd been that way for as long as he could remember," said Portman.

What was the Republican senator's reaction?

"Love. Support," responded Portman.

And complete surprise. He told CNN that he never suspected that his son was gay.

Portman says his son, now a junior in college, helped him work through his decision to announce his change in position on gay marriage and blessed the idea of publicly announcing Will Portman's sexuality.

"I think he's happy and, you know, proud that we've come to this point, but he let it be my decision just as you know, it's going to be his decision as to the role he plays going forward in this whole issue," said Portman.

by Anonymousreply 3903/15/2013

Will has gayface for days -- especially in the family Christmas card photo from December. Jed is kind of cute.

Yes, typical Rethug -- only changing his position because this affects him.

by Anonymousreply 4003/15/2013

[quote]This is a bit laughable, like, "Portman reverses stance on voter ID laws, says son is poor, black, and living in Mississippi." Must an issue become personal before Portman sees an obvious injustice?

This comment is great.

by Anonymousreply 4103/15/2013

Portman has reversed his stance on unemployment insurance after learning that his brother-in-law was laid off with no severance from the job he'd held for 19 years

by Anonymousreply 4203/15/2013

I'm not disagreeing with others about Portman's past record and how he could have though about other people's children. But we cannot ignore the power of personally knowing a gay person. We had a very lively thread not too long ago about the reactions of our parents - and some of them had some pretty wacky ideas when first faced with the news. With every announcement of acceptance, we gain exponentially.

by Anonymousreply 4303/15/2013

[quote]The change is good, but how typically Republican: I've changed my mind because I now have a personal stake in the issue.

Precisely. Nothing about human rights or plain ol' human decency. It's all about him and his family.

by Anonymousreply 4403/15/2013

Why is everyone on this thread criticizing Portman? A lot of parents would've thrown their children out on the streets but he made an enlightened decision.

by Anonymousreply 4503/15/2013

Brilliant, R18.

by Anonymousreply 4603/15/2013

Portman has reversed his stance on abortion rights after learning that his daughter was pregnant.

by Anonymousreply 4703/15/2013

This is what they always do. Unless it happens to them, screw everyone else. Nancy Reagan did this, became pro-stem cell research after her husband lost his marbles while in office. Republicans are ignorant, amoral brats.

by Anonymousreply 4803/15/2013

True, they are selfish bastards but this story does yet again illustrate that nothing good comes from remaining in the closet.

The closet's days are numbered, cowering cowards!!!

by Anonymousreply 4903/15/2013

What R3 said.

What a group of selfish motherfuckers. They're sickening.

Log cabinette assholes need to be reminded that their "heroes" are people who are personally-affected.

Obama didn't have to wait for his daughter to be gay to support gay marriage.

by Anonymousreply 5203/15/2013

Newt Gingrich was on CNN this morning and criticized Portman saying he 'abandoned' (his word) principles for a family member.

Well gee whiz who wouldn't?

by Anonymousreply 5303/15/2013

Newt displays the depraved level of the Republican't party.

by Anonymousreply 5403/15/2013

Will is in the middle

by Anonymousreply 5503/15/2013

Typical FReeper post on the issue:

[quote] this is the result of recruiting. Portman should resign if he finds this personal situation compromises his principles so easily. He should have kicked his son out.

[quote] 28 posted on Fri Mar 15 05:46:18 2013 by longtermmemmory

by Anonymousreply 5603/15/2013

Some of the foul comments are sickening, it's hard to believe that people can be so callous to other human beings.

by Anonymousreply 5703/15/2013

Will Portman just tweeted

'Especially proud of my dad today'

by Anonymousreply 5803/15/2013

This guy is so brainwashed by his faith that he had to go and consult with some fucking clergyman before feeling that his son was worthy of his love and support. I can just hear him: "Will God still love me and let me into heaven if I stand by my gay son?"

Dick Cheney? Fucking Dick Cheney?

That family picture at r16 looks like it has 3 gay men in it.

by Anonymousreply 5903/15/2013

R53 - Newt Gingrich wouldn't - he twice abandoned a family member, and has no discernible principles

by Anonymousreply 6003/15/2013

Reading through Will tweeter feed, even though he is openly gay, he is pretty right wing in terms of his comments.

Looks like another Log Cabin Republican.

by Anonymousreply 6103/15/2013

Would you expect him to be a flaming liberal?

by Anonymousreply 6203/15/2013

I saw that the son came out in his freshman year at Yale. Isn't that part of freshman orientation?

by Anonymousreply 6303/15/2013

R62 I would expect him to be a Centrist.

by Anonymousreply 6403/15/2013

What R3 said. In all caps.

by Anonymousreply 6503/15/2013

Even though he only changed his mind when it effected him personally, at least he publicly supported his son and did not hide like Cheney did until he left the WH. Any help we can get I will take; Santorum is probably giving his kids the "Gay Quiz" right now, LMAO!

by Anonymousreply 6603/15/2013

I'm creamin' in my pants!

by Anonymousreply 6703/15/2013

I echo the above sentiments of the importance of coming out to everyone.

For many conservatives, they are anti- "whatever" (gays, immigration, birth control, etc) until it hits home. While we deservedly criticize that myopic view, we should thank Will Portman for coming out and also thank his father for publically acknowledging that he was wrong.

I have an aunt who railed against any governmental assistance to those with HIV (God's wrath, etc) and was as anti-gay as they come. She was a major donor to the Robertson and Huckabee campaigns. I came out to her over a decade ago. She been to dinner with me and my partner several times and she actually likes him. Knowing us, seeing our 15 year relationship, and most importantly listening to her own grandchildren's views on gay marriage have soften that Grinch's heart. She's not fully on the marriage equality bandwagon, but she supports civil unions now. She is one of the few in her central PA elder community who is pro-civil unions.

by Anonymousreply 6803/15/2013

After his son came out to him, Portman faced a big walk-out over his anti-gay votes at the Michigan law school commencement. I can't believe the asshole didn't execute his volte-face then.

by Anonymousreply 6903/15/2013

Another example of how stepping out of the closet furthers the cause.

by Anonymousreply 7003/15/2013

I wonder if that starts and avalanche of Gay Log Cabine members turning to their parents saying: 'Sen. Rob Portman was able to come around, WHY THE FUCK CAN'T YOU????'

by Anonymousreply 7103/15/2013

Google Will Portman and you'll see his school postings. He's more GOProud than Cabinette. Fuck him.

by Anonymousreply 7203/15/2013

People, people, people! Please review the rules of grammar on the proper use of the words "affect" and "effect." Some of you seem to believe that they mean the same thing and may be used interchangeably. They do not and they may not.

That is all. Thank you.

by Anonymousreply 7303/15/2013

Senator Portman shouldn't reverse his stand on gay marriage just because his son came out. He should have had a sense of tolerance for all people even before he knew his son was gay.

by Anonymousreply 7403/15/2013

[quote] it was always the older brother aniciating the sex

Hunty, is this a mash up of the words anal and initiating?

by Anonymousreply 7503/15/2013

[quote] He's more GOProud than Cabinette

What is the difference between GOProud and Log Cabin?

by Anonymousreply 7603/15/2013

Or maybe, and this is what I'm hoping, his son came out to him and said something like this, "We can do this the easy way or the hard way. Easy is that you publicly accept me and show support for gay rights. Hard is you don't support me and I become the loudest gayest advocate for gay rights and tell the world I'm a Democrat. Your choice."

by Anonymousreply 7703/15/2013

R77 based on his tweeter feed PRIOR to this announcement Will is pretty right wing in his opinions.

by Anonymousreply 7803/15/2013

I wonder which one he meant, R19.

by Anonymousreply 7903/15/2013

That entire family looks so much alike they could be inbred.

by Anonymousreply 8003/15/2013

So now marriage equality is the only kind of equality he supports. Hooray.

by Anonymousreply 8103/15/2013

naturally

by Anonymousreply 8203/15/2013

Yeah most Repubicans cannot see beyond their owm noses, nor do they want to.

What this really is, is a demonstration of how powerful being out can be- and why it is so necessary for all of us to be out, and to continually out ourselves. When you come out to your family, your friends and your peers (co-workers etc.) you blunt all arguments that would make you less human and have fewer rights. It becomes very apparent to anyone with a brain and heart who knows you that denying you what they take for granted, is wrong. Only the most bigotted and dogmatic continue to resist. And in most cases, those people are people you would not want to be friends with, work with, or have as family anyway.

When my mother lied and told me my father never wanted to see me again decades ago- I said ok- if true, this is the last time you can expect to see me or speak to me. She was stunned of course- and I knew she was lying. Point is- if that was the case, I would cut my parents out of my life. The reality would probably be minimal contact, but you get the idea.

Life is too short to waste on people so full of hate and fear. If they overcome it, fine. It is their problem, not mine.

The rhetoric on the right over this issue is getting more and more desparate. The remarks made by the new Pope in response to his Argentinian President in 2010 are a case in point. Humble and simple as this new Pope is, he is a card carrying bigot- all the more stunning considering that about every other priest is an active gay man.

by Anonymousreply 8303/15/2013

Stop saying tweeter feed, dumbass.

by Anonymousreply 8403/15/2013

"But, no, yeah, I told him everything"

Jesus - he's channelling Vicky Pollard

by Anonymousreply 8503/15/2013

If you believe in science, remember that the self-centered myopia we so often see in conservatives is something they're born with!

Their brains are actually hard-wired differently than liberals', being more susceptible to fear and perceived threats, more likely to act defensively, and operating in a more black-and-white than gray way.

How can you use this information?

by Anonymousreply 8603/15/2013

I always leave room for people to admit that they were wrong.

Better late than never.

Welcome to the right side of love, equality, justice and history, Sen Portman.

by Anonymousreply 8703/15/2013

freeper heads are exploding!

by Anonymousreply 8803/15/2013

Link, r88?

by Anonymousreply 8903/15/2013

signorile just posted this:

"Am at CPAC 2013. Just had the pleasure of telling anti-gay Sen. Inhofe of Oklahoma that conservative Senator Portman of Ohio now supports marriage equality because his son is gay. Inhofe hadn't heard, was totally shocked. Will play clip in first hour of show."

by Anonymousreply 9003/15/2013

Many (not all, but many) Repugs are privately for marriage equality but sell their votes to their donors.

by Anonymousreply 9103/15/2013

R3, spot on. +1.

by Anonymousreply 9203/15/2013

[quote]Link, R88?

See R32.

by Anonymousreply 9303/15/2013

R50 - I love you, and want to bear your children. :-D ^^

by Anonymousreply 9403/15/2013

Damn, there are some real faux christian bigots at the Columbus dispatch link, ! flagged them and so should you.

by Anonymousreply 9503/15/2013

Disagree with R16 that both sons look gay.. Obviously, older son has no clothes sense while gay one wore tasteful tattersall!

by Anonymousreply 9603/15/2013

Damn, give them a break.

by Anonymousreply 9703/15/2013

Give WHO a break?

by Anonymousreply 9803/15/2013

LOL r90, that's funny.

I always wonder if family values are more important than valuing your family.

Be interesting to see how he is criticized.

by Anonymousreply 9903/15/2013

Dear Senator Portman:

I am heartened at your turnaround on marriage equality thanks to your son coming out, and I am glad that you have allowed your love for your son to lead you to rethink your viewpoints.

However, I also feel that you should be reminded of this basic fact:

Every undocumented immigrant... ...every child whose mom or dad can't afford to provide enough to eat and is seeing their food stamps and other assistance cut back... ...every person dying of cancer because they can't afford health insurance... ...every victim of gun violence thanks to this country's lack of reasonable restrictions on who can get a mass killing machine... ...every person left unemployed because of cutbacks in government spending... ...every person whose private employer is cutting their hours or benefits or shipping their job overseas in order to increase their profits... ...every woman who can't afford to have a baby, who needs her health insurance to cover birth control... ...every person who suffers from disasters exacerbated by climate change... ...and every homeless veteran who comes back from serving his or her country only to find no jobs...

...is someone else's son or daughter, whose parents love and cherish them just as much as you love and honor your own son.

Your love for your son led you to rethink your ideological views because the consequences of those views led to his suffering.

I pray that this episode increases your capacity for empathy and leads you to consider that these other sons and daughters, whose suffering is cause in part by the consequences of your other ideological viewpoints, are just as loved and cherished by their parents as your son is by you.

Sincerely,

Me

by Anonymousreply 10003/15/2013

What is the diff between GOProud and Log Cabin?

by Anonymousreply 10103/15/2013

Post that on his facebook page!

by Anonymousreply 10203/15/2013

Will Portman tweeted in November

There should be an app that allows you to opt out of certain people's Facebook statuses until after November 6th

by Anonymousreply 10303/15/2013

[quote]What is the diff between GOProud and Log Cabin?

Both repulsive cunts, but I think cabinettes have better shoes.

by Anonymousreply 10403/15/2013

It's all very nice.

But one has to wonder about anyone who can only have empathy for others when it hits so close to home. It shows a real lack of feeling for anyone whose experience is completely different from his or hers, at least until he or she wakes up to realize that it isn't.

by Anonymousreply 10503/15/2013

It's a Republican't syndrome. Sociopathic.

by Anonymousreply 10603/15/2013

I think it's a sign of how things have changed that people are focusing more on Portman's self-serving myopia, and not on the fact that the son is gay.

by Anonymousreply 10703/15/2013

Thank you r87. Yes, I agree with r3 about Republicans but it does no good to bash someone who has taken the step forward. Maybe it will change the way he looks at other things too, though I doubt it.

by Anonymousreply 10803/15/2013

Yeah, yeah, yeah, r100, but those people's problems all cost me money.

by Anonymousreply 10903/15/2013

This might sound mean, but that family is dumps ugs. Seriously. Yuck. And who know names anyone Sally after 1880?

by Anonymousreply 11003/15/2013

That doesn't sound mean R110, just shallow.

by Anonymousreply 11103/15/2013

They never care about an issue until it affects them personally, or someone they love and care about.

THey have no concept that when it affects other people, it's just as bad as when it affects themselves.

They're selfish, self-absorbed hypocrites.

by Anonymousreply 11203/15/2013

Here is a link to Inhofe finding out as mentioned by R90

by Anonymousreply 11303/15/2013

I had a hard time figuring out which son is gay, because they both appeared to be. But neither looks as gay as rob.

by Anonymousreply 11403/15/2013

The son will come out...tomorrow!

by Anonymousreply 11503/15/2013

Will had something no other liberal has had in fifty years: 15 minutes of Portman's time.

by Anonymousreply 11603/15/2013

You can bet Portman will run for prez in 2016.

by Anonymousreply 11703/15/2013

He's such a mealymouthed, whitebread cog. What kind of appeal does he have to anyone with a pulse?

by Anonymousreply 11803/15/2013

R112,

[quote]THey have no concept that when it affects other people, it's just as bad as when it affects themselves.

Anyone who has ever used the term "MARY!" is guilty of that.

Women didn't care about injustices in family court until rich men began shunning marriage. Australia reformed its prenup laws to attempt to get men back into marrying.

For fifteen years, people have championed Secion 230 of the CDA and the immunity from defamation it provides, until *women* were targeted by "revenge porn." Now women are screaming that websites shouldn't be immune. Meanwhile, dontdatehimgirl.com was just fine with them.

Most of the "99 percent" didn't give a shit about Wall Street corruption until they lost their jobs or their retirement accounts were shattered.

by Anonymousreply 11903/15/2013

from someone's facebook page:

"Public policy should not depend on the idiosyncratic lives of elected leaders. Supporters of gay marriage should not have to hope and pray that a Senator's child comes out. Researchers at NIH should not have to wait for a representative's child to be diagnosed with a disorder before research dollars flow. Parents desperately looking for help for a disabled child should not have to rejoice when a prominent politician's child or grandchild is born with Down syndrome. "

by Anonymousreply 12003/15/2013

[quote] [R22], why would you think of something like that? Incest between the brothers?

Probably because he looked at the pic and thought it would be hot.

by Anonymousreply 12103/15/2013

Bump R120. I said that exactly in a previous post. Just the condensed version.

by Anonymousreply 12203/15/2013

Except comparing gay, to those mentioned plights is hardly correct.

by Anonymousreply 12303/15/2013

Sonny Bono seemed cool with Chasity until it came time to actually vote on gay issues. Chasity reportedly lashed out with an angry "I hope you get killed in a ski accident!" It proved to be a prescient hex.

by Anonymousreply 12403/15/2013

R3,

A lot of the Republican politicians are already affected. And there are numerous who are themselves closeted. They each make a choice; the majority of them are party-first pols who do whatever they're told by their leadership.

by Anonymousreply 12503/15/2013

[quote]You can bet Portman will run for prez in 2016.

But what are his chances of getting the Republican nomination? The primaries are controlled by social conservatives.

by Anonymousreply 12603/15/2013

Conservative pundit Erik Erikson just Tweeted:

[quote]I have no problem with Portman changing his mind on marriage. We just disagree. I do have a problem w/ him hiding behind the Bible to do it.

by Anonymousreply 12703/15/2013

[quote]we should thank Will Portman for coming out and also thank his father for publically acknowledging that he was wrong.

No, we shouldn't thank his father for doing something he should have done decades ago. If George W. Bush came out and said he now thinks he shouldn't have pushed the invasion of Iraq, would you thank him?

by Anonymousreply 12803/15/2013

R128 is the Chick-Fil-A Troll.

by Anonymousreply 12903/15/2013

[quote] While we deservedly criticize that myopic view, we should thank Will Portman for coming out and also thank his father for publically acknowledging that he was wrong.

I agree with this.

by Anonymousreply 13003/15/2013

Rob Portman, Gay Marriage, and Selfishness

by Anonymousreply 13103/15/2013

indeed

by Anonymousreply 13203/16/2013

Conservatives are saying this AM that you can support your gay son and still oppose gay marriage.

by Anonymousreply 13303/16/2013

It’s pretty simple. Portman went along with his party’s opposition to gay marriage because it didn’t affect him. He thought about gay rights the way Paul Ryan thinks about health care. And he still obviously thinks about most issues the way Paul Ryan thinks about health care.

That Portman turns out to have a gay son is convenient for the gay-rights cause. But why should any of us come away from his conversion trusting that Portman is thinking on any issue about what’s good for all of us, rather than what’s good for himself and the people he knows?

by Anonymousreply 13403/16/2013

Many of them say that, but it makes no sense. You do NOT support your gay child if you do not support gay marriage. Period.

by Anonymousreply 13503/16/2013

He'll be voted out if his constituents don't want gay marriage. But he knew that risk when he changed his position.

by Anonymousreply 13603/16/2013

I'm sure, being a politician, he's calculated the risks.

The man is wrong on almost EVERY other position.

by Anonymousreply 13703/16/2013

The tide is turning and MORE voters support gay marriage than don't. So, not really as big a problem as the rightwing wishes it was.

by Anonymousreply 13803/16/2013

[quote] Sonny Bono seemed cool with Chasity until it came time to actually vote on gay issues.

It was worse than that, Sonny *was* actually cool with Chasity being gay. His anti-gay stances were craven attempt to toughen-up his image, his fellow Republicans viewed him as a TV clown when he first came in. Sonny was a real lowlife, throwing his own daughter under the bus just to further his sleazy Repug career.

by Anonymousreply 13903/16/2013

[quote]"The overriding message of love and compassion that I take from the Bible, and certainly the Golden Rule, and the fact that I believe we are all created by our maker, that has all influenced me in terms of my change on this issue," Portman said.

"Though I've happily ignored it my entire life previously, because it was simply too inconvenient and terrifying not to say and do precisely what the big loud mobs of people I surrounded myself with were saying and doing, uhm, you know like the people at church."

by Anonymousreply 14003/16/2013

A lot of people don't care about issues that don't directly affect their lives or the lives of people close to them.

It's not just conservatives regarding gay issues.

Better late than never.

by Anonymousreply 14103/16/2013

No r141. There is a HUGE and clear difference between Republicans and Democrats.

The former doesn't care about anyone but themselves and their friends and families.

The latter empathizes (and legislates) with and for a much wider swath of the american public.

Yes, there are exceptions to that rule in both parties, but if you can't recognize the general truth to this statement...

by Anonymousreply 14203/16/2013

Wow, Portman is getting lambasted in the media for his selfish hypocrisy... Columnists in New York Magazine, the Washington Post, Slate Magazine, and The Atlantic, among others, have taken Portman to task for his self-serving epiphany.

by Anonymousreply 14303/16/2013

And THAT, r143, is just more proof that things have changed SO fast in the past few years re: gay rights. It's mind-boggling.

by Anonymousreply 14403/16/2013

The folks at RedState.com are not happy:

[quote]Senator Portman, Homosexual Marriage, and the Death of Principle

by Anonymousreply 14503/16/2013

Quelle surprise!

by Anonymousreply 14603/16/2013

Look at some of the comments towards Portman on Free Republic:

[quote]He’s got a faggot for son.. Guess the upbringing wasn’t what it should have been.

[quote]At the very least he should have disowned him.

[quote]And yes that’s exactly how I feel on the issue.

by Anonymousreply 14703/16/2013

It is true. Many people have a hard time relating to some of society's issues unitl it hits home for them. That doesn't make them stupid or evil. Just human nature for some. Anyway, it is a positive statement that may shake some of the red state folks into re-thinking their bigotry, even just a little bit.

by Anonymousreply 14803/16/2013

Wow, the family does look alike. The daughter looks just like the mom and the son looks just like the dad. Look at their noses and smiles.

by Anonymousreply 14903/17/2013

[quote]CPAC Responses To Rob Portman Supporting Marriage Equality

by Anonymousreply 15003/17/2013

[quote]Rob Portman ‘Family Friend’ Ken Blackwell Compares Gay Marriage To Polygamy, Incest On CNN

by Anonymousreply 15103/17/2013

dang!

by Anonymousreply 15203/17/2013

How about the Republican's, r153?

by Anonymousreply 15403/17/2013

R154 I never worked in a Repub office, only 2 Dem offices in 8 years. There were a lot of gay jokes and bashing. Only a couple people who knew I was gay would speak that way in front of me, never directed AT me. It was obvious that the gay friendly shtick was for PR, not really how they felt.

by Anonymousreply 15503/17/2013

I think people should read the thread about coming out to your parents. The reactions are all over the map. Given Rob Portman's choices of disowning his son, keeping him in his life but not acknowledging his homosexuality, accepting it and remaining silent, or embracing not only his son but his right to marry, his choice is commendable.

Something he should have done decades ago? It's only been 20 years or so the marriage equality has become an issue.

I think everyone needs to cut people some slack who finally come around to the equality side. Do you really want purity tests like the GOP? Let's welcome everyone who has made the journey to the side of tolerance and equal rights.

by Anonymousreply 15603/17/2013

Which Democratic office, R155?

by Anonymousreply 15703/17/2013

Since he's from Ohio, does this mean he would support Blaine and Kurt's eventual nuptials?

by Anonymousreply 15803/17/2013

Tee hee.

WASHINGTON (The Borowitz Report)—The decision of Sen. Rob Portman (R-Ohio) to support same-sex marriage after learning that his son was gay has inspired hundreds of other Republican lawmakers to stop speaking to their children immediately, G.O.P. leaders confirmed today.

“I have gathered my caucus and told them, if your kids are going to tell you something that’s going to cost you the next election, it’s better to nip that situation in the bud,” said House Speaker John Boehner (R-Ohio). “Just stop talking to them altogether, for heaven’s sakes.”

Speaker Boehner said he was advising his fellow Republicans who were “hell bent on speaking to their children” to keep things superficial: “You can talk about sports. You can talk about the weather. But anything beyond that, your policy should be, ‘Don’t ask, don’t tell.’”

But even as Mr. Boehner laid down the new guidelines for not speaking to one’s children, House Majority Leader Eric Cantor (R-Virginia) said that the policy “doesn’t go far enough.” “What if you’re having a conversation with your kids and it turns out they’re in favor of raising the capital-gains tax or banning assault rifles?” he said. “Do what I do—block their calls.”

Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Kentucky) agreed with his fellow G.O.P. leaders’ words of caution, adding, “Fortunately, none of my children want to talk to me.”

by Anonymousreply 15903/17/2013

This was a vast rightwing conspiracy.

Perhaps this was the reason Mitzi declined naming him VP?

Would be funny if homophobia actually lost them the election.

by Anonymousreply 16003/17/2013

Oh, that video at R150. The former Navy chaplain is almost flaming and the young guy who calls the idea of gay marriage "repugnant" near the end looks gay to me, too.

I cracked up at the guy in the three corner hat who understands "redundancy" to be the opposite of what it is.

by Anonymousreply 16103/17/2013

Santorum says this will have no effect on the issue.

by Anonymousreply 16203/17/2013

He's an idiot. There's no way it will have NO EFFECT. Santorum just pretends stuff is the way he says.

by Anonymousreply 16303/17/2013

We'll see if it will. I read a tweet (from which news source I can't remember) saying that over the last decade support for gay marriage among Republicans rose from 20% to 25%. That's a glacial pace, even with Dick Cheney's endorsement (I think it came after he left office). If Portman's going to make a difference, we shall soon see.

by Anonymousreply 16403/17/2013

I didn't say it would make a difference. I said there was no way it would have no effect. And we won't "soon see" because it may take a while for the effect to translate into action.

by Anonymousreply 16503/17/2013

[quote]Which Democratic office, [R155]?

Barney Frank.

by Anonymousreply 16603/18/2013

The Republican Strategist/Apologist on the Meet The Press panel yesterday used it as an opportunity to redefine homophobia and opposition to marriage equality as the new normal rather than bigotry. She said it's not bigotry to be against gay marriage and people have to learn to tolerate that view. I think you'll hear more of that in the wake of this; the opposition legitimising their position as something other than irrational hatred or bigotry. "We must be tolerated too!" (Btw, isn't the idea of merely being tolerated dated, like from the late '80s?)

But the GOP is in such disarray they will cease to be a growing concern. CPAC proved its the same old out of touch clown show it's always been. Electorally, they will continue to dwindle. People give Obama a lot of shit but at least he stands up to the GOP rather than fueling the perception that they are a supreme power of the universe.

The lack of softening on the GOP side in response to Portman's statement - the response has pretty much been "Well, my son is NOT gay" - shows them in an even worse light. As a party they continue to ignore every opportunity to get on the right side of history. What a surprise. Political dinosaurs. Their most popular candidate was banned from CPAC. Good luck with that.

by Anonymousreply 16703/18/2013

It really was a clown show - gives me much hope for our post-Obama Democratic world.

by Anonymousreply 16803/18/2013

He's a self serving asshole!

by Anonymousreply 16903/18/2013

This group of dipshit fucktards (I mean, just look at the picture of their "leader" on the top of their webpage!) is cold calling everyone in Illinois talking about how the homosexuals are going to hurt the children if we get marriage equality here.

You should hear the tone that "homosexual" is choked out in by the old hag speaking about the evil we represent.

Contact info for the group at the link. Have at 'em.

by Anonymousreply 17003/19/2013

If anyone wants to make a thread to expose these pieces of shit to even more harrassment, feel free.

by Anonymousreply 17103/19/2013

I just clicked on the link at R170, and my security software flagged it as a malware site.

by Anonymousreply 17203/19/2013

Which heart is Cheney talking about?

*Snicker*

by Anonymousreply 17303/19/2013

I agree with R156. And for those who lament his support because it is linked with someone close to him, how do you think a lot of civil rights actions happened? Most people don't think about things until it affects them personally. It is unfortunate but true. That is why a liberal education and travel are valuable-they hopefully help a person gain more perspective.

by Anonymousreply 17403/19/2013

Anyone hear the out gay actor on Howard Stern yesterday who essentially outed Tammy and Barry Manilow?

by Anonymousreply 17503/19/2013

R172, maybe your security software is a little rigid. I opened it yesterday a couple of times and just now and nothing came up or happened. Honestly, by the looks of the site, they're too stupid to know what malware is or how to do anything with a computer.

You can find them through google, though. I just wrote my rep because I got a phone call from them using her name. Reading through their page is vomit-inducing to anyone with a brain.

by Anonymousreply 17603/20/2013

Miss Will Portman wrote an editorial in the Yale Daily News. Of course he overlooks daddy's lack of integrity (whatever pays the tuition!).

by Anonymousreply 17703/26/2013

So when Marcus finally comes out, will Michele Bachmann announce her support for marriage equality as well?

by Anonymousreply 17803/26/2013
Need more help? Click Here.