Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Most disturbing non-horror movies you've seen

Posting in the childhood fears thread reminded me of an 80's BBC miniseries called "Threads". It came out, of course, at the height of the late Cold War and scared the shit out of me for years with extremely graphic depictions of nuclear holocaust and the bleak future the survivors endured. It was singularly responsible for turning me into a neurotic mess as a child.

I recently rewatched it on YouTube to see if maybe I'd overblown how disturbing it was in my mind and it still was as messed up as I remembered.

Any other movies that weren't necessarily created with horror in mind that affected you?

by Anonymousreply 16703/25/2013

Requiem For A Dream

by Anonymousreply 103/14/2013

Precious

by Anonymousreply 203/14/2013

Irreversible

by Anonymousreply 303/14/2013

Dammit, R4, I tried to ww you but my stupid finger hit ff instead. Sorry.

by Anonymousreply 503/14/2013

Mysterious Skin

by Anonymousreply 603/14/2013

They Shoot Horses, Don't They?

by Anonymousreply 703/14/2013

The Wizard of Oz.

My second would be The Cook, the Thief, His Wife & Her Lover.

Bad Timing with Art Garfunkle and Theresa Russell.

by Anonymousreply 803/14/2013

Capturing the Friedmans.

by Anonymousreply 903/15/2013

The Road. Read the book, watched the movie and I won't ever go back to it. Disturbing and sad.

by Anonymousreply 1003/15/2013

Pixote

by Anonymousreply 1103/15/2013

"Sometimes A Great Notion", Richard Jaeckle trying to laugh off being stuck under that log. Horrifies me to this day. (Obscure film but he was Oscar nominated for it so guess I'm not alone on its impact).

by Anonymousreply 1203/15/2013

Shallow Grave

by Anonymousreply 1303/15/2013

Sybil

by Anonymousreply 1403/15/2013

The Cook, The Thief, His Wife and Her Lover

by Anonymousreply 1503/15/2013

Made in Hong Kong.

by Anonymousreply 1603/15/2013

John Frankenheimer's "Seconds".

Rock Hudson gives a surprisingly compelling performance in one of the bleakest, most emotionally unsettling films I've ever seen.

Jerry Goldsmith's chilling score and James Wong Howe's unprecedented,innovative cinematography complete the nightmarish atmosphere.

Reportedly, this is the film that contributed to the mental breakdown of Brian Wilson of the Beach Boys.

by Anonymousreply 1703/15/2013

R12: His death scene was so gut wrenching and awful. I remember thinking while watching it why didn't Paul Newman get creative and get him out of there! Maybe make a straw out of a reed or something.

by Anonymousreply 1803/15/2013

Not Without My Daughter.

by Anonymousreply 1903/15/2013

Brimstone and Treacle

A Clockwork Orange

by Anonymousreply 2003/15/2013

Mame

by Anonymousreply 2103/15/2013

Splendor in the Grass with Warren Beatty and Natalie Wood.

[italic]Though nothing can bring back the hour Of splendour in the grass, of glory in the flower; We will grieve not, rather find Strength in what remains behind. . . .[/italic]

by Anonymousreply 2203/15/2013

Don't hit me, but I've never seen "The Cook, the Thief, his Wife and her Lover." I went to read spoilers after seeing that the library scene disturbed one of the posters. I couldn't find any. Can someone please tell me the library scene and also what is scatological about the movie? I know what happens at the end but would love to know what else is disturbing about it. Sorry to be off topic.

by Anonymousreply 2303/15/2013

Glenngarry Glenn Rose Requiem for a Dream Blue Valetine The Box with Theresa Russell

by Anonymousreply 2403/15/2013

Blue Velvet. Most David Lynch, actually. Happiness.

by Anonymousreply 2503/15/2013

"Go Ask Alice"

by Anonymousreply 2603/15/2013

r23, the thief's henchmen torture and kill the lover by tying him up and jamming book pages down his throat with a stick (can't remember from what), leaving pages and stick protruding from his dead mouth. The look of the guy is the most gruesome thing I've ever seen.

by Anonymousreply 2703/15/2013

I remember watching a documentary on smallpox when I was a kid. Couldn't get the images out of my head for months.

by Anonymousreply 2803/15/2013

Thank you r27. I recently have seen that movie on the guide on one of the movie channels but never watched because I thought it was a comedy or a caper movie. Now that I know I think I will watch it.

by Anonymousreply 2903/15/2013

Never Let Me Go with Carey Mulligan, Andrew Garfield, and Keira Knightley. I had no clue what the movie is about (I thought it was just a regular love triangle drama), so when it was revealed what the purpose of all the kids was it freaked me out for the rest of the movie.

It's my Party with Eric Roberts and Gregory Harrison. The movie didn't exactly help to overcome my fear about HIV, AIDS and what it does to people (like having a farewell party and take some pills while your family and friends are still hanging around fully knowing what you are about to do).

Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory. Given what we know and fear about pedophiles nowdays it makes this movie even creepier.

by Anonymousreply 3003/15/2013

Felt the same way, R18, still always hope for different outcome, never happens, ha. Watched again recently and realized that the log shifts so his underwater dilemma didn't allow for much time to improvise reed or whatever. so well executed that they (and we) try to believe they have plenty of time but...

The all time most disturbing. Followed by Jennifer Jones' fall from the glass elevator in "Towering Inferno"-- her reaction is too real, as if they didn't tell the actress what was going to happen, ha. And then she/the dummy hits her head on a brick wall on the way down, insult to injury. Horrified me at 14.

by Anonymousreply 3103/15/2013

I'm pretty sure the face ripping scene in Poltergeist triggered my OCD.

by Anonymousreply 3203/15/2013

Polanski's 'The Tenant'.

by Anonymousreply 3303/15/2013

Melancholia really freaks me out.

by Anonymousreply 3403/15/2013

Irreversible

by Anonymousreply 3503/15/2013

R30 Never let Me Go was a great movie about a science fiction novel by Kazuo Ishiguro. I wouldn't bet my money on denying that things like told in the movie are not happening somewhere around the world. I thought the story was very deep and Andrew, Carey and Keiara gave really great and very mature performances. One of my favourite movies of that year!

by Anonymousreply 3603/15/2013

Peter Jackson's "Heavenly Creatures", by far the best film he's ever made. There's pure joy in that film as well as horror, and some painful reminders of my own youth.

A question for other respondents: How much do you personally identify with these films?

by Anonymousreply 3703/15/2013

Kids..... and Gummo

by Anonymousreply 3803/15/2013

r36, the movie is brilliant (depressing, but brilliant). It just took me off guard.

by Anonymousreply 3903/15/2013

r36 I loved the book too but don't know anyone who read it. Sorry to be OT (again) but what could be the four organ donations someone could make and still be alive? That book terrified me too and especially freaky was how the healthy ones could make four donations and usually "completed" on the fifth. I could see kidneys as one, a lung as one and maybe eyes and bone marrow and then the fifth I guess would be the heart? But the guy didn't give his eyes and had done four donations, so what were they? I read that book many times and was disturbed each time. I thought of that movie when I saw this thread but thought the book was much darker.

by Anonymousreply 4003/15/2013

Most of the films on this thread have elements of horror in them. While they're not pure horror films, I believe that's what makes them even more potent.

And I'll add Vincere to the list. A film about the estranged wife of Italian dictator Mussolini, largely told in dreamlike sequences, it was the spookiest film of that year for me. And I'd say totalitarian regimes rank highly in true horror.

by Anonymousreply 4103/15/2013

Actually, if anyone feels like listing the horror elements in each film, I would read that thread.

And then we can write our own terrifying non-horror film from that blueprint.

BTW, I didn't watch Capturing the Friedmans because it looked terrifying.

Jonathan Caouette's Tarnation had very strong horror elements to it (any film with EST, really)

by Anonymousreply 4203/15/2013

the grey zone

by Anonymousreply 4303/15/2013

In The Garden of the Finzi-Continis the family is sent to a concentration camp but first are in an office with several people who are oblivous to what is happening, one of them a young girl is skipping. It also disturbs me the sudtle way family members are separated...

by Anonymousreply 4403/15/2013

Has anyone seen Larry Clark's "Ken Park"? There's a scene when the drunken Dad sneaks into his willowy teenage sons room and slowly slowly slowly attempts to blow the kid, all set to the tune of R Kelly's "Bump and Grind." So nauseating.

by Anonymousreply 4503/15/2013

Looking For Mr. Goodbar!! The whole audience gasped at the end.

by Anonymousreply 4603/15/2013

R40

I think you can still live with half of your brain or half of your lung, only one kidney and of course only one eye. Scary stuff, but what I liked about the movie most was that it focussed so much on the human side of the story. It was not just sci-fi but very much a character driven story. I honestly did not read the book and also never heard about it before hand. The movie caught me off guard.

by Anonymousreply 4703/15/2013

The original "Manchurian Candidate." Had trouble sleeping the night I watched it.

by Anonymousreply 4803/15/2013

Agree about NEVER LET ME GO

Also SECONDS, someone mentioned. ONe of the most disturbing conclusions in movies.

OP mentions THREADS, by all means see this film. The most horrific of all Nuclear War movies

Several of Michael Haneke's films, especially FUNNY GAMES are disturbing

by Anonymousreply 4903/15/2013

Rapture.

I got tricked into attending a Baptist Christmas party when I was a kid. They gave all the non-Baptists popcorn and hot chocolate and put us in a room with the movie.

by Anonymousreply 5003/15/2013

R26 I remember the book that was based on. My sisters had it, my parents backwards way of trying to warn them not to try drugs, made them want to find out what all of the fuss was about. Except for the dead part.

by Anonymousreply 5103/15/2013

THE WAR ZONE directed by Tim Roth.

by Anonymousreply 5203/15/2013

Deliverance

by Anonymousreply 5303/15/2013

127 Hours. I'd hate to think of myself dying in a freezing canyon-wedge (unbeknownst to any other humans in the planet), but worse than that, having to sever off my own arm with a dull knife and no anesthesia just to survive...

by Anonymousreply 5403/15/2013

There's Something about Kevin

Hard Candy

by Anonymousreply 5503/15/2013

[quote]Has anyone seen Larry Clark's "Ken Park"? There's a scene when the drunken Dad sneaks into his willowy teenage sons room and slowly slowly slowly attempts to blow the kid, all set to the tune of R Kelly's "Bump and Grind." So nauseating.

Of course, if it had been his nephew....

by Anonymousreply 5603/15/2013

It's interesting to see all these reactions to NEVER LET ME GO. It's one of my favorite books ever. Just a perfect novel. But I was disappointed by the movie, and the way they had to structure it. I get that it was probably a necessity, but it still bummed me out. But from what folks are saying, it seems the power of the story endured. Cool.

by Anonymousreply 5703/15/2013

Celebration by Thomas Vinterberg. It is Danish. It was devastating.

And I am not sure if this counts because it might be considered a horror move, but Jacob's Ladder. Saw it when I was in 8th grade and it haunted me for weeks. It was not just the grotesque imagery. It was just so sad.

by Anonymousreply 5803/15/2013

That film clip on YouTube where the koala bear rips the kid's face off

by Anonymousreply 5903/15/2013

There's Something About Kevin was very disturbing, very sad.

There's a movie with that blonde kid...from the Fast and Furious movies...Paul what's his name. Anyway the antagonist is Juliette from Lost, can't recall her name either. But her performance as one half of a married, child raping and murdering couple was absolutely HORRIFYING. Years later and it still disturbs me just terribly.

Precious gets my vote too, omg, so awful.

by Anonymousreply 6003/15/2013

When I was a kid I was watching an old western on tv. A kid had toy 6 shooters and was walking around pulling the guns and yelling, "Bang!"

Well, he goes up behind this man, pulls his guns and yells bang and the guy whirled around and shot the kid dead. The kid fell over so fast with his legs flying up in the air -- it looked so real. I got a little hysterical. I'd never seen a film where a kid was killed before.

Another film starred Wheezer from the Little Rascals and Petey from the little rascals was his dog. I figured it was a comedy. No. A car comes barreling down the road while the kid is at school and you hear a thump and a dog yelp. Petey was dead. When Wheezer came home from school his parents told him and he picked up Petey's dead body and took it for burial. I swear that dog was dead, because I've never seen a dog play dead so well before or since as Wheezer carried him with tears streaming down his eyes.

I think I cried for two days over that one.

by Anonymousreply 6103/15/2013

NEVER LET ME GO is in my opinion one of the most beautiful novels ever written, the film was decent, but somehow it failed to capture the full weight of the emotional impact of the book.

COME AND SEE is a Soviet film from the 80s about a young boy trying to survive the Nazi invasion of Belarus, the most brutal war film I've ever seen. When you see it you realize how sanitized most American depictions of war are, the imagery is beyond disturbing.

by Anonymousreply 6203/15/2013

I just watched "Compliance" on DVD and had a hard time not turning it off. Not because it was bad, but because it just flat out made me uncomfortable.

Really well acted, though

by Anonymousreply 6303/15/2013

Admittedly, this was a horror film, but not in a gory bloody way, the Belgian original of "The Vanishing" - very creepy. Even creepier is the fact that LATER (meaning, years after the film had been done and released), the case of Marc Dutroux occurred - I've actually been to Charleroi where he lived so it's kind of freaky.

"Eraserhead" is another one. Not really a horror film, but more of a celluloid Freak Show Carnival.

by Anonymousreply 6403/15/2013

OP, I agree with you about Threads. That's the only movie I've ever seen that really disturbed me -- and for a long time, too. I used to think nothing could ever top the horror of that... but then I watched the HBO documentary "Chernobyl Heart / Children of Chernobyl" and OMFG. I didn't finish Children of Chernobyl and wish I could un-watch what I saw.

by Anonymousreply 6503/15/2013

"Never Let Me Go" and "Age of Innocence" (the novels) are so disturbing because the main characters are either unaware or somehow accepting of the fact they are being manipulated right into the grave. As a reader you keep thinking, "ESCAPE!", but the characters never consider it. Both films are worth watching ("Never Let Me Go" is much better) but don't have the power of the books. I found "Superbad" to be pretty disturbing. I thought Jonah Hill was an arrogant, closeted pig in that one. He grosses out that some chick got close enough to him to get period blood on him? He should have thanked G-d. I found his pillow talk with Michael Cera - nose touching and all - to be extremely creepy. In a basement...after dark...in sleeping bags...with Jonah Hill. Creepy.

by Anonymousreply 6603/15/2013

Wow, R61, just the description of that Weezer scene is getting to me... they really killed Petey off on that show? Or was it a false alarm? Never saw that episode and, based on your apt description, just as well. My nightmare to this day, living on a busy road with two pups in tow.

by Anonymousreply 6703/15/2013

It's "We Need To Talk About Kevin", not "There's Something About Kevin".

I would add "I'm Dancing as Fast as I Can" to this list. There's a scene where Jill Clayburgh is trying to withdraw from Valium without any medical assistance while living with her alcoholic boyfriend. She finally realizes that she can't do it without her doctor, so she attempts to leave the apartment in the middle of the night. When her controlling boyfriend catches her trying to leave, he punches her in the face several times. When she comes to, she is tied to a chair with a beaten, bloodied face. The only way she is able to finally escape is to convince her boyfriend that she had made plans with another couple and that they'd worry if she didn't call or show up. So, he allows her to call them. As soon as they get on the line, she starts screaming for help. Domestic abuse of any kind disturbs me, but there was something so creepy about the violence portrayed in this movie. And the guy who played her boyfriend (Nicol Williamson) freaked me out so much, I was never able to see anything he was in after that.

by Anonymousreply 6803/15/2013

Dancer In The Dark.. with Bjork left me frightened

by Anonymousreply 6903/15/2013

Boy's Don't Cry

by Anonymousreply 7003/15/2013

[quote]Peter Jackson's "Heavenly Creatures", by far the best film he's ever made. There's pure joy in that film as well as horror, and some painful reminders of my own youth.

I've never been able to watch the murder scene.

by Anonymousreply 7103/15/2013

DOGTOOTH

by Anonymousreply 7203/15/2013

"Saint Valentine's Day Massacre"

Saw the preview to it when I was a small child. Gave me nightmares because, unlike monster movies, I knew it was real.

by Anonymousreply 7303/15/2013

Oh my god r61 brings up a disturbing movie that had been dormant in mt. The original "Assault on Precinct 13" movie with DL favorite Kim Richards. She was probably ten or so and played a little girl going to the ice cream store or truck, the guy who ran the truck knew that bad shit was afoot and gave her her cone and tried to get her off the streets. She ordered a vanilla twist (I still remember) and she took her cone and starts skipping away..about three steps out she turns and goes back, "Hey Mister, I said vanilla twist, this is just a plain vanilla" and the bad guys are there and shoot her in the chest! It horrified me, Tia from Witch Mountain just got shot right on the street! She went down in a tangle of ice cream and long blonde hair. I was never afraid of supernatural stuff as a kid and still am not, but getting shot on the street was something that could and did happen.

by Anonymousreply 7403/15/2013

[quote] There's a movie with that blonde kid...from the Fast and Furious movies...Paul what's his name. Anyway the antagonist is Juliette from Lost, can't recall her name either.

Are you the Old Jewish Lady telling her friends what CATS is about?

by Anonymousreply 7503/15/2013

Lol r75

by Anonymousreply 7603/15/2013

Seen Ken Park and it is disturbing. Lots of hot young cock, too. I'll add the director's cut of Alan Parker's ANGEL HEART. Dark, weird, mysterious religous images.

by Anonymousreply 7703/15/2013

C. Thomas Howell and Rutger Hauer in THE HITCHER.

by Anonymousreply 7803/15/2013

Playing For Time

by Anonymousreply 7903/15/2013

I remember creeping into the living room one night as a kid (I might have been about thirteen?), because I saw they'd be showing The Virgin Spring at something like 2am, and I'd decided I just had to see it. Even before the murder scene, the film had filled me with such a sense of horror and foreboding I was sure something dreadful was about to happen, and unspeakable punishment would be meted out if I were caught watching it.

About 4 years later I remember dragging my poor aunt to a Sunday afternoon screening of the same director's Cries and Whispers. She was not amused, and I had the same sense of horror, only this time in colour instead of black and white.

I've loved Bergman ever since, and think that his Serpent's Egg and Shame are just as rivetingly horrifying as the other two I mentioned.

by Anonymousreply 8003/15/2013

"There's a movie with that blonde kid...from the Fast and Furious movies...Paul what's his name. Anyway the antagonist is Juliette from Lost, can't recall her name either."

It's called RUNNING SCARED.

by Anonymousreply 8103/15/2013

David Lynch's "Mulholland Drive". It's such an unforgettable film that we had a nice long thread about it about a month ago, but it's definitely disturbing.

And the disturbing part does sucker you in. First you think it's surreal, or a mystery, but really, by the end you realize you're watching the total destruction of a human being.

by Anonymousreply 8203/15/2013

Happiness.

by Anonymousreply 8303/15/2013

Todd Haynes' work.

by Anonymousreply 8403/15/2013

"Storytelling", mostly the first section, "Threads", and "One Hour Photo". This is the only film I can stand Robin Williams in.

by Anonymousreply 8503/15/2013

For R74 ......

by Anonymousreply 8603/15/2013

All of the movies based on the incestuous Papin sisters murder of their employer and her daughter in France in the 1930s:

Murderous Maids (Les Blessures Assassines, 2000)

Sister My Sister (1994)

More indirectly, Chabrol's La Ceremonie (1995) was influenced by the Papin sisters case.

A French movie called House of Tolerance, aka L'Apollonide / Souvenirs de la Maison Close, 2011).

by Anonymousreply 8703/15/2013

Oh my god r86, thank you for posting that! It is still disturbing but not as scary as I remembered. I wonder if a girl gets shot in the new one? It's not very PC to do something like that these days. I was a little girl when I saw it and that was why it was so scary. "Class of 84" scared me a lot too.

by Anonymousreply 8803/15/2013

Kim is as crazy as a shithouse rat nowadays, but she really was a cute kid. If I had seen that as a kid, it would have upset me, too. However, seeing it now all I could think of was Kim making a Waldorf Salad using only her hands.

by Anonymousreply 8903/15/2013

The original b&w "On The Beach". I was 12 and remember staring at the ceiling practically all night long because sleep would NOT come.

by Anonymousreply 9003/15/2013

There is a movie I saw as a kid that still haunts me to this day.

It's about two women fighting over a man and it involves them driving along a narrow , winding mountain road...in the rain.. and trying to throw each other off the cliff.

They were both blonde pale women, and in another scene they both arrive at the same house where they continue this outlandish struggle... and in another scene a vase is broken.. smashed to bits.. all this happening in the background of a cludy dark rainy sky. The mean faces still haunt me to this day

I have tried searching the name of the movie with no luck

by Anonymousreply 9103/15/2013

Duel. I still hate seeing trucks coming up behind me on the highway.

by Anonymousreply 9203/15/2013

The women also looked very much alike.. I think they were twins...and the mean one was pretending to be the good one..

by Anonymousreply 9303/15/2013

It's called "We Need to Talk About Kevin."

by Anonymousreply 9403/15/2013

Looking for Mr. Goodbar. Especially the final scene.

by Anonymousreply 9503/15/2013

Testament

We Need To Talk About Kevin

Happiness

Disgrace

Looking for Mr. Goodbar

Salo: 120 Days of Sodom

Taxi Driver

Deliverance

Kids

Eraserhead

by Anonymousreply 9603/15/2013

a serbian film... oh dear god..

by Anonymousreply 9703/15/2013

Star 80

by Anonymousreply 9803/15/2013

Rosewood

Of Human Bondage with Bette Davis and Leslie Howard

both very disturbing movies

by Anonymousreply 9903/15/2013

R97, that film jfc.

I just...

I don't think anyone can be the same person they were after watching that film, that they were before it.

by Anonymousreply 10003/15/2013

Testament.

We talked about it before.

It was made and shown on PBS in the early 80's.

Scary look at an ordinary family and how their lives are affected by a nuclear war.

by Anonymousreply 10103/15/2013

I never have recovered fully from "The Unbearable Lightness of Being." I didn't see the end coming and it nailed me completely.

by Anonymousreply 10203/16/2013

Gumby Attacks!

by Anonymousreply 10303/16/2013

Bambi

by Anonymousreply 10403/16/2013

4 Months 3 Weeks 2 days...

by Anonymousreply 10503/16/2013

Related to "We Need To Talk About Kevin," when that movie came out there was discussion here of another movie or book about a dysfunctional family with a disturbed boy who it turned out was ass-raping the dad. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

by Anonymousreply 10603/16/2013

R97, you boys must be awfully sensitive. I tried to watch that last night, meh. The first half hour was boring as hell, and, of the bits and pieces I looked at after that, everything looked so fake that it felt like some film high school boys made.

by Anonymousreply 10703/16/2013

Passolini's Salo. One of those movies you feel sorry for the actors..

by Anonymousreply 10803/16/2013

Holy Mountain

by Anonymousreply 10903/16/2013

Here's the trailer for Holy Mountain. The end is a total mindfuck.

by Anonymousreply 11003/16/2013

Sex and the City 2

by Anonymousreply 11103/16/2013

"JFK" -- I was an impressionable 21 year old when it was released and the overwhelming paranoia in the film unsettled me for weeks afterward. Watched it again recently and while I recognize that it's extremely well-made, it didn't affect me the same way. Maybe because I know how corrupt our government and corporations really are now?

"127 Hours" -- During the pivotal scene, I nearly passed out, was breathing fast, sweating, dizzy. Even with my eyes closed, the sound of it really upset me. (As it happens, I was in a theater showing "The Impossible" when a woman did pass out; later, two of my friends reported independently that this happened during their showings as well.)

by Anonymousreply 11203/16/2013

If you think 'The Cook, the Thief, His Wife & Her Lover' was disturbing, try watching 'The Baby of Mâcon.' That Peter Greenaway chap is mighty sick. I was so happy to see Ralph Fiennes in a full frontal scene - except that he had just been gored by a bull. I don't believe the film was ever officially shown in the states. I had to go to the Museum of the Moving Image in Queens to see it.

by Anonymousreply 11303/16/2013

R104 has a point.

by Anonymousreply 11403/16/2013

Haven't read all of the choices here, but R1 nailed it for me immmediately, "Requiem For A Dream' was soooooooooooooooo disturbing.

by Anonymousreply 11503/16/2013

A Serbian Film: is that the one in which an infant is raped immediately after being delivered on the set of a snuff film?

by Anonymousreply 11603/16/2013

The Double Life of Veronique

by Anonymousreply 11703/16/2013

A movie from the 70s that made me horrified for about a year, was "Maryjane". It was about the evils of pot smoking. Some guy got run over in the street by a truck and his head was crushed and a puddle of blood. I was young and impressionable and that freaked me out totally for a long time.

I can't find the stupid thing on IMDB, it's like it never existed. Strange. It had Fabian in it.

by Anonymousreply 11803/16/2013

It's from 1968, R118. It's on there.

by Anonymousreply 11903/16/2013

Old Yeller

War and Remembrance. 1988-89 TV miniseries from novel by Herman Wouk. I'm talking about the parts where Natalie is in Theresienstadt and then in Auschwitz.

Lacombe, Lucien

by Anonymousreply 12003/16/2013

Thanks, R119. I also found it on Rotten Tomatoes.

The description on IMDB: Desperately trying to join the club is sensitive student Michael Margotta. Coughlin makes it clear he doesn't want Margotta joining them, and humiliates him at every opportunity.

This 'sensitive' student was such a creepy loser that I think he bugged me as much as the head-exploding scene. In fact, I think it was him that got run over. Because he had been smoking the demon marijuana.

by Anonymousreply 12103/16/2013

Olympus Has Fallen, After Seeing A preview, I Mentioned To My Partner How Disturbing The Movie Was & He Told Me, He Almost Couldn't Take It & Was Going To Ask Me If We Could Leave At Some Point In The Film.

by Anonymousreply 12203/16/2013

I woke up in what was the middle of the night to my 4 year old self. I had a bad sore throat so my mother let me watch tv. On tv, these Japanese planes kept coming and shooting up a town. This man was trying to warn people that planes were coming, but nobody would listen. Then the man got shot when a Japanese plane strafed the building he was in and shattered tje windows.

I got very upset because I thought if you hid inside of a building, bullets couldn't get you. So I was kind of blown away that the man was blown away. The Japanese planes scared the hell out of me. Also, the guy who got killed was Riley from The Life of Riley and I really liked him, so I was upset that he was dead.

I thought I was watching a late night movie, but many years later I found that it was actually the pilot episode of Twilight Zone.

by Anonymousreply 12303/16/2013

That Serbian movie is available on youtube. I watched it a few weeks ago. It's pretty much just gratuitous crap. It's no "Testament" that's for sure.

by Anonymousreply 12403/16/2013

Colour Purple

by Anonymousreply 12503/18/2013

[quote]Glenngarry Glenn Rose

Could someone please expound? This movie is continually brought up on my Netflix recommended but it sounds boring. Isn't it a bunch of real estate agents or something? Is it actually that good and what is so disturbing about it?

by Anonymousreply 12703/18/2013

Compliance bothered the shit out of me when I finally watched it.

by Anonymousreply 12803/18/2013

[quote]Could someone please expound? This movie is continually brought up on my Netflix recommended but it sounds boring. Isn't it a bunch of real estate agents or something? Is it actually that good and what is so disturbing about it?

It's kind of a masterpiece. Absolutely riveting, but I don't see what's so disturbing about it. If masculine ambition and backstabbing disturbs you, maybe, I guess. But check it out. If for no other reason than for the cast -- Al Pacino, Jack Lemmon, Alec Baldwin; never better.

by Anonymousreply 12903/18/2013

R124 The newborn porn scene was just silly. That Serbian film was basically triple XXX porn for gore fetishists. There was nothing creepy about it.

I nominate Irreversible with Vincent Cassel and Monica Bellucci. There is a 10 minute rape scene which is beyond brutal. I thought about the cruelty of that scene for days. It also features tons of cocksucking(albeit in the dark) in a club called Le Rectum! It's a tale of revenge and the aftermath of violence. Many films sugarcoat this topic but this film didn't.

by Anonymousreply 13003/18/2013

I loved Glengarry Glen Ross. The actors were perfect.

by Anonymousreply 13103/18/2013

Bully

by Anonymousreply 13203/18/2013

[quote]Olympus Has Fallen, After Seeing A preview, I Mentioned To My Partner How Disturbing The Movie Was & He Told Me, He Almost Couldn't Take It & Was Going To Ask Me If We Could Leave At Some Point In The Film.

Your boyfriend wanted to leave the theater because of a preview for that film? How is it even disturbing? It looks like your typical political action film.

by Anonymousreply 13303/18/2013

R133 We Saw The Entire Film, It Was An Advance Screening & I Am Not Going To Ruin It By Revealing Anything Here, I Will Only Say, You Are Sadly Mistaken, If Your Impression Of The Film Is Such. When It Gets Released You Will HerecPlenty About It. Sorry I Was Not Clear About It Being An Advance Preview.

by Anonymousreply 13403/18/2013

Peter Greenaway's "The Baby of Macon"

David Cronenberg's "Dead Ringers"

by Anonymousreply 13503/18/2013

oh yeah, Gummo. Walked out, couldn't take it any more.

Watching Threads when it was broadcast in the 1980s at one of the most intense periods of the cold war... yeah. It was odd because The Day After had so much attention focused on it but was so milktoast and soap opera by comparison.

A lot of people were impacted by that film, but you didn't hear anything about it (it was basically kept off the air in the US and UK after a few showings) until the rise of the internet, and then I think a lot of people (Gen-X'ers esp) started to seek it out, with a "hey what was that one incredibly realistic and terrifying nuclear holocaust movie that I saw once when I was 13 that nobody has ever talked about since ...". Over the years it became a kind of cult documentary, increasingly discussed and raved about in blogs and forums and posted in its entirety to Google Video and Youtube so that people could finally watch the thing. It really, really captures the feeling of that time and its pervasive fears.

by Anonymousreply 13603/18/2013

Birth with Nicole Kidman was very unsettling and disturbing.

Several weird Russian movies where people are unbelievably cruel to each other. They seem so used to it over there...

by Anonymousreply 13703/18/2013

"Audition" creeped me out especially since I had NO IDEA what it was all about. I happened to catch it on cable and thought it was a "comedy" the way it started out.

by Anonymousreply 13803/18/2013

Another vote for FUNNY GAMES, IRREVERSIBLE and COME & SEE.

LILYA 4-EVER - I closed my eyes several times during the film's most difficult scenes. Hint... the film's about sex trafficking.

That film where Jennifer Jason Leigh's character is gang fucked to death in the final scene. I never want to watch that film again.

GRAY GARDENS - I saw it with a friend at a local art house. We were both shaken.

by Anonymousreply 13903/19/2013

Come & See (Idi i smotri) wins. Horrifying.

by Anonymousreply 14003/19/2013

Short Eyes.

by Anonymousreply 14103/19/2013

Which part of "Most disturbing [bold]non-horror[/bold] movies" do those of you who keep listing "A Serbian Film" not understand?

Some of you, I swear to God, are actually mentally challenged.

by Anonymousreply 14203/19/2013

R135 I was thinking of Baby Of Macon the other day. The most shocking scenes is one big fuckfest. Probably one of the world's cruelest bang gangs of all time(if you can call what happens a gang bang).And it featured mainstream actress Julia Ormond to boot.

by Anonymousreply 14303/19/2013

Bruce Weber's "Let's Get Lost" - Chet Baker fucks over everybody he encounters (including his children), gets beautiful young women hooked on dope and then abandons them, plays beautifully and naturally with little effort but doesn't respect his talent...He gets away with so much evil shit because of his looks and charisma, and is way too high to feel remorse. Even Bruce Weber admits Chet's appearance is the only reason he got into Chet's music. The only way Chet allowed Weber to interview him is if they got him high first. The movie's great - and in a way so is Chet - but he was deadly to many.

by Anonymousreply 14403/19/2013

R143 - Yes, that is by far the most disturbing scene, esp. the fact that it is a "real" rape-to death hidden within the ongoing "play," a public rape and murder masquerading as theater artifice. But so many of the visuals and the concepts in the movie are disturbing or repellent, embedded in a film that is so beautiful, meticulously crafted and well thought-out. I think the Baby of Macon is a real masterpiece, intellectually brilliant and subversive, it's a shame so few people have seen it - although it is very, very disturbing. I finally managed to download a good copy from a Russian bluray a few months ago. Anyway, it's a very beautiful and challenging film.

by Anonymousreply 14503/19/2013

Baby of Macon is posted on Youtube as well. I remember seeing in a famous arthouse theater where the reaction was not that controversial. I remember more people being fucked up over Salo'.There was something demented and sick about Salo' especially that idea of man's inhumanity to man.

Greenaway's films did have a uniqueness about them didn't they? On Baby of Macon,the set and custom design was absolutely top rate BUT they didn't spend a bomb on the sets ,customs and the like. The cinematography was also quite good especially when the baby and the bull defend Ormond's virginity. A very bloody yet beautiful scene if that seemingly disparate juxtaposition could be married together in such a way.

Oh and Julia Ormond's body was absolutely gorgeous. Her breasts were so natural and beautiful not Hollywood super sized at all. She also did full frontal showing her bush in all its glory.

by Anonymousreply 14603/19/2013

Agreed on Ormond, she was very well cast, so appealing and charming on every level. Strange about her career arc since.

I've been meaning to watch Salo, it's sitting on my HD unwatched, along with a lot of Hanneke films. Something about watching movies that you know are going to make you feel very bad...

by Anonymousreply 14703/19/2013

[quote]Serbian film was basically triple XXX porn for gore fetishists. There was nothing creepy about it.

This sentence confuses me.

by Anonymousreply 14803/19/2013

I couldn't make it through Irreversible or Salo. Both were very disturbing.

Also..FAT GIRL, for the ending, if nothing else.

by Anonymousreply 14903/19/2013

We Need To Talk About Kevin.

by Anonymousreply 15003/19/2013

R120, I agree with you about "War & Remembrance". I saw that miniseries when I was about 10-11. My parents never put any restrictions on what I could watch on TV, so I feel like I saw a lot of things that might not have been appropriate for a child. It was the 80s though!

For some reason, the image of Jane Seymour and John Gielgud arriving in Auschwitz haunts me to this day.

by Anonymousreply 15103/19/2013

R148 There was nothing chilling or disturbing about Serbian Film. It was all style no substance. The shocks were amongst the cheapest I've ever seen.

R149 Romance X by Breillat was far more disturbing than Fat Girl. Fat Girl's shock and awe was predicated on that one shocking scene. The rest of the movie was Breillat lite.

R147 Salo' is a mindfuck of a film. There's a pronounced gay/S & M angle to the film. The most shocking scenes are not that graphic compared to Irreversible BUT are very provocative in a psychological sense.The undercurrent that runs through the film is the perversion of the fascist ideology and to what lengths these ideological tops/doms will subject mere innocents to their torturous mindset.

I'll never forget the look of a filmgoer who used to go to the same arthouse week after week. After she saw Salo' she had a look of dread/shock on her face. Needless to say I didn't see her for months after that.......

by Anonymousreply 15203/19/2013

Well,I thought WE NEED TO TALK ABOUT KEVIN sort of was ahorror film.It was good but it wasn't nearly as good as the book.Also,I want to see Sean COnnery in THE OFFENCE from 1973.

by Anonymousreply 15303/19/2013

Most of Julia Roberts' films. Honestly, some entitled, bland character always played. So devoid of humanity but with a cheap veneer to hide the emptiness inside. On par with the formica mantras of Celine Dion.

by Anonymousreply 15403/19/2013

The Offence is one of the most depressing films I have ever seen. It's right up there with Glengarry Glen Ross.

Vivien Merchant's performance was great as always. Loved her as the doting housewife and awful cook in one of Hitchcock's best film's Frenzy.

by Anonymousreply 15503/19/2013

Oh dear me, Funny Games U.S.A, which oddly enough I saw in Kraków for the first (and only, trust me) disturbed me so much, I have devised a complete escape plan if ever I am confronted from a preppy white boy ringing to borrow some eggs...

by Anonymousreply 15603/19/2013

by Anonymousreply 15703/19/2013

"The Cook, The Thief, His Wife and Her Lover." it wasn't just the final scene...it was the whole tone of the movie. The first time I saw it, I hardly slept. After learning that it's just a big allegory, it still affects me the same way. Of all of my favorite movies, this is the only one that I can watch once every few years.

"Pan's Labrynth" is also rather disturbing.

by Anonymousreply 15803/19/2013

The Opposite of Sex. I wanted to rise from my seat and beat Christina Ricci's character in the head with a baseball bat. I hated the movie.

by Anonymousreply 15903/19/2013

Buck and Chuck.

by Anonymousreply 16003/19/2013

I agree R160. Ugh.

by Anonymousreply 16103/19/2013

In the Realm of the Senses. And it is based on a true story. The director is Nagisa Ôshima, who also directed Merry Christmas, Mr. Lawrence.

by Anonymousreply 16203/20/2013

Goodbar...especially if you haven't seen it before.

In fact, I think it's essential you haven't seen it before if it's going to horrify you.

by Anonymousreply 16303/20/2013

Red State bothered me. I kept thinking those two kids would get out to safety but they didn't. Plus it's scary to realize that there really are nutty radicals with guns out there.

by Anonymousreply 16403/20/2013

what happened to the datalounge thread talking about the most disturbing horror or crime movies?

by Anonymousreply 16603/25/2013

Heavenly Creatures for sure. Ugh, that woman's screams at the end... with Mario Lanza's "You'll Never Walk Alone" over the end credits... ugh. So good, but UGH.

The Dollmaker -- a TV movie with Sally Field. There's a tragic scene by the railroad tracks. Fucked my shit up as a kid.

The Yearling -- young Ricky Schroder. Very disturbing premise, and it only gets worse. Saw this a few times as a kid, and it definitely elevated my separation anxiety.

Requiem for a Dream is definitely gross and depressing.

A Cry for Help: The Tracy Thurman Story with Nancy McKeon is just all sorts of awful. In a really engrossing way. But, ugh. So brutal.

by Anonymousreply 16703/25/2013
Need more help? Click Here.