Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Calling All Comrades!

A discussion on Mother Russia.

by Pinko Commie Bastardreply 6603/18/2013

Are the members of Pussy Riot going to die in prison?

What do the people of Russia think about their crime...and punishment.

by Pinko Commie Bastardreply 103/14/2013

Only two members of Pussy Riot are currently in prison, they were each sentenced for 2 years for "hooliganism and spreading religious hatred".

by Pinko Commie Bastardreply 203/14/2013

I don't think that they're going to rot in jail. They'll continue to fight the decision in the Supreme Court. Less famous member of Pussy Riot, Yekaterina Samutsevich was released on probation. Plus, plenty of Russian celebrities have already submitted requests for an early release. So, it's not that hopeless. I have bunch of friends who support Pussy Riot, but also those who are so out of touch that they trust in Putin. Meanwhile, Putin has given his mistress (Kabaeva) unbelievable presents - Luzhniki Stadium and big Vremena Goda shopping mall. He's an enormously influential dictator.

by Pinko Commie Bastardreply 303/14/2013

Is my English good enough

by Pinko Commie Bastardreply 403/14/2013

I think Mother Russia is a bitch.

by Pinko Commie Bastardreply 503/14/2013

Ваш английский превосходен R4.

by Pinko Commie Bastardreply 603/14/2013

Russia is a dying country. Alcoholism, ramped drug usage, suicides, low birth rates. It's become an aggressive society and fairly anti-everything as a result

by Pinko Commie Bastardreply 703/14/2013

How long before they start invading again?

by Pinko Commie Bastardreply 803/14/2013

by Pinko Commie Bastardreply 903/14/2013

Спасибо, commie.

by Pinko Commie Bastardreply 1003/15/2013

Feel free to ask me anything.

by Pinko Commie Bastardreply 1103/15/2013

Their homophobia alone is enough to make me keep away from that country forever.

by Pinko Commie Bastardreply 1203/15/2013

There was a thread a while back about how homophobic Russian soldiers were, yet gay sex and gay rape were common.

Apparently hazing causes a large number of young soldiers, gay and straight, to commit suicide.

by Pinko Commie Bastardreply 1303/15/2013

Enjoy their incredible enormous statue "The Motherland Calls" before it topples.

by Pinko Commie Bastardreply 1403/15/2013

Hookup with Russian men only if you are in the mood for crazy. They are insane and seem to like to humiliate their sex partners.

by Pinko Commie Bastardreply 1503/15/2013

Everytime I read about gay opression in Russia I get more and more confused because when I was working in St. Petersburg (summer 2006) I used to go to the gay clubs all the time and even the taxi drivers knew exactly where they were. Going in and out was no secretive operation, it was pretty fun AND cruisy inside(back rooms etc, and I never encountered bashing or hatred upon exiting.

There were two that I knew of - one poofey (with baroque decor and blouse queens) and one grungy (warehouse, dark, dungeony, with mostly t-shirts or no shirts).

Cabs would be lined up (like in NYC) in front to pick up patrons leaving late at night - and by late at night I mean the bright light of day since 4 AM in the summer in St. Petersburg shines as bright as any church Sunday morning.

Plus - right in front of the big Cathedral there was a strip bar that started with girls then switched to boy go-go dancers, for an entirely mixed crowd's enjoyment, with music pumping till the wee hours.

RUSSIAN GIRL, Have things changed since 2006? Is there any gay scene in St. Petersburg these days?

by Pinko Commie Bastardreply 1603/15/2013

[quote] Russia is a dying country. Alcoholism, ramped drug usage, suicides, low birth rates.

Don't forget racist and bigoted! There are a MULTITUDE of white supremacist groups in Moscow, just waiting to pounce on gypsies, blacks, jews, browns, and anyone else who isn't Slavic.

Russia is a disgusting country, and completely deserving of its collapse.

by Pinko Commie Bastardreply 1703/15/2013

Mara Schiavocampo from NBC News, with a report on Russian racist attacks.

by Pinko Commie Bastardreply 1803/15/2013

[quote]ramped drug usage

Which drugs?

Somehow, I can't picture crystal meth abused there. Ecstasy? Opium? Cocaine?

Please don't say marihuana. Pot smoking is hardly abuse of any kind.

by Pinko Commie Bastardreply 1903/15/2013

Maybe Roland Trumbell will contribute to this thread. He's a big fan of Lenin.

by Pinko Commie Bastardreply 2003/15/2013

R19, desomorphine, colloquially called Krokodil.

by Pinko Commie Bastardreply 2103/15/2013

Well I don't know about YOU bitches, but I can't wait to go back to be a REAL queen in Moscow.

by Pinko Commie Bastardreply 2203/15/2013

I wonder if older Russians secretly long for the law-and-order Soviet days, when the criminal fuckery was kept under firm control. I suspect I would.

by Pinko Commie Bastardreply 2303/15/2013

by Pinko Commie Bastardreply 2403/15/2013

I've been to St Petersburg twice, and yes it's a very beautiful, historic city, very much a different atmosphere than Moscow. I've done a lot of touristy things and, honestly saying, have no idea about the gay scene in St. Pete. I have a gay friend who works at an Australian Embassy in Moscow. Everyone at the Embassy seems to know that he's gay, and they spread nasty rumors about him. Even his family don't want to talk to him because of his sexual orientation. Russians are very closed minded people. Anti-Americanism continues to thrive in Russia. My foul-mouthed cousin once said: "Americans are stupid". Nothing has changed since the Cold War.

by Pinko Commie Bastardreply 2503/15/2013

I admire Vladimir Pozner, who is a popular Russian TV host. He has spent his childhood in NY. His book 'Parting with Illusions' is not only great but also sincere and smart; I highly recommend this book. He supports gay marriage, and simply cannot wait to move back to US.

by Pinko Commie Bastardreply 2603/15/2013

An Asian guy whom I know from school was killed by a group of skinheads.

by Pinko Commie Bastardreply 2703/15/2013

Editor-in-chief came out and was forced to leave Kremlin-backed TV channel. Here's the insightful interview in English.

by Pinko Commie Bastardreply 2803/15/2013

As a NYer, I only with that fucking wall was still up.

Medicaid fraudsters.

by Pinko Commie Bastardreply 2903/15/2013

Is Vladimir Putin secretly bisexual?

by Pinko Commie Bastardreply 3003/15/2013

Hi Russian Girl! Thanks for posting.

Forgive me that my questions are so ignorant. :)

What are some of the things that you wish Russia had? Fresher food in the grocery store? Designer jeans?

Are you allowed to leave the country to travel whenever and wherever you want?

by Pinko Commie Bastardreply 3103/15/2013

[quote]What are some of the things that you wish Russia had? Fresher food in the grocery store? Designer jeans?

[quote]Are you allowed to leave the country to travel whenever and wherever you want?

Pinko, things haven't been like you're imagining since the USSR was dissolved in 1991. Russia is now dripping in new money and luxury goods (and corruption and crime). And yes, they can travel freely now. It's not the Cold War anymore.

by Pinko Commie Bastardreply 3203/15/2013

[quote] Russia is now dripping in new money and luxury good

Well, Moscow is.

by Pinko Commie Bastardreply 3303/15/2013

I'm well aware that Mother Russia has had a massive economic boom, yet our DL Russian Girl who is living in Russia just said nothing changed since the cold war. I'm asking her to share details about life from POV of the average citizen so I can get a picture of Russia's middle class.

by Pinko Commie Bastardreply 3403/15/2013

[quote] Russia is a dying country. Alcoholism, ramped drug usage, suicides, low birth rates.

You wish it was dying. Russia's always been like that. In fact, it was worse. Russian men could beat and kill their wives with no consequence. Women were confined to a separate area of the house, like in Muslim cultures (since Russia had been conquered by Muslims). Children had no rights. Boyars coud kill any serfs on their land and could do it for fun. The tsars hired Cossacks to rape, pillage and destroy villages. The church was as powerful as the tsar and was mandatory. Sometimes tsars would plead for foreigners to come into Russia to populate villages and bring their skills, which the Russian peasantry didn't have. After a while the locals would start killing the foreigners and taking over their homes.

Russia -- good times.

by Pinko Commie Bastardreply 3503/15/2013

[quote]Well, Moscow is.

Don't forget St. Petersburg.

If these were the SAT's:

Moscow: Washington, DC

St. Petersburg: New York City

by Pinko Commie Bastardreply 3603/15/2013

[quote]Girl who is living in Russia just said nothing changed since the cold war

She was referring to social attitudes (bigotry, racism, etc). Plenty has changed in its economy, obviously.

by Pinko Commie Bastardreply 3703/15/2013

Like China, loaded with peasants.

by Pinko Commie Bastardreply 3803/15/2013

Russian Girl said that anti Americanism still thrives in Russia, but as we can see in this thread the feeling is mutual, Americans still don't like Russians either.

Anyway, I'd also like to know more about life in Russia so I'll keep an eye on this tread. But I'm interested in positive aspects, what's good about living in Russia today.

Greetings to all Slavic brothers and sisters on DL :)

by Pinko Commie Bastardreply 3903/15/2013

I'm sorry if you got me wrong, fellow DL users. I was referring to social attitudes (chauvinism, homophobia, sexism et al.) These types of prejudice still exist in Russia today. Moscowians are well off, but people in other cities/suburbs live in the state of poverty. They can't even afford an iPhone. Their salaries are extremely low. Some of them don't have an access to the Internet. It's clear that corruption is a major problem in Russia. Wives/sons/daughters of well-known politicians are enjoying their jet-set lifestyle atm. They're wasting government's money on their yachts/designer bags instead of doing something useful. A lot of politicians are bisexual. It's one of many reasons why they're homophobic - they're afraid of getting caught. This girl, for example, is a daughter of a man who stole our people's money. She has 400 pairs of Louboutins.

by Pinko Commie Bastardreply 4003/15/2013

R40, all the problems you describe that are plaguing Russia also exist in America. Millions of Americans cannot afford iphones and do not have internet access. American politicians are usually quite wealthy (it takes a lot of money to run a successful campaign) and are completely indifferent to those who live in poverty.

by Pinko Commie Bastardreply 4103/15/2013

Thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread. I hope I don't sound too negative to you. ;) Every country has its good side and bad side. Other countries have its fair share of problems too. I don't want to be a whiny child, so, I'll stop complaining now. Smile. :)

by Pinko Commie Bastardreply 4203/15/2013

Pinko Commie Bastard, are you here?

by Pinko Commie Bastardreply 4303/15/2013

Positive aspects? Free health care and education.

by Pinko Commie Bastardreply 4403/15/2013

Russian Girl, thanks for sharing. What are your favorite things about your country and culture? How aware are average people about the degree of political corruption? How do some of the more distinct republics (Kalmykia, Mari El, Tatarstan)function as part of the federation and how much of their unique history, language and tradition is maintained?

by Pinko Commie Bastardreply 4503/15/2013

Спасибо, Russian Girl, for hanging with us on DL.

I am betting we will learn a lot from you.

by Pinko Commie Bastardreply 4603/15/2013

I love the titans of Russian literature such as Pushkin, Lermontov, Tolstoy, Dostoevsky, Bulgakov and Chekhov; contemporary writers Sergei Dovlatov and Victor Pelevin. I have a penchant for Russian classical music (Tchaikovsky, Prokofiev, Stravinsky etc). I went to Bolshoi Theatre and really liked it there. Russian ballet is fantastic. Want good modern music? Look no further than Zemfira (who's a lesbian & in a long term relationship w/ Renata Litvinova).

Luckily, most people are well aware of political corruption and inequality. But they can't do anything about it.

Many Tatars and Kalmyks can't speak their native tongue, let alone know their history and tradition. They have adjusted to the Russian culture. I don't know if it's a good or bad thing. I have many ethnic friends and they are just like Russians.

Thanks for asking & sorry for my Russian Rudeness. :)

by Pinko Commie Bastardreply 4703/15/2013

I went to school with a girl who's an Olympic Gold Medal Winner now. She laughed at me and humiliated me in every possible way. God, karma didn't hit her! What do you think about her? Here's the pic:

by Pinko Commie Bastardreply 4803/15/2013

[quote]They can't even afford an iPhone.

Не дай Бог!

by Pinko Commie Bastardreply 4903/15/2013

Sorry, offtopic.

by Pinko Commie Bastardreply 5003/15/2013

Я просто шучу.

by Pinko Commie Bastardreply 5103/15/2013

What do you mean?

by Pinko Commie Bastardreply 5203/15/2013

I love this one from Russian Girl's link @ r47!

"A stranger should not look at a newborn baby before it is a certain age (between two months and one year). If one looks at the baby it is considered bad luck to compliment it. Instead, one could say, ' Oh, what an ugly child!'. "

by Pinko Commie Bastardreply 5303/15/2013

[quote]A stranger should not look at a newborn baby before it is a certain age (between two months and one year). If one looks at the baby it is considered bad luck to compliment it. Instead, one could say, ' Oh, what an ugly child!'

Now they tell me!

by Pinko Commie Bastardreply 5403/15/2013

by Pinko Commie Bastardreply 5503/15/2013

This thread is dead

by Pinko Commie Bastardreply 5603/15/2013

Нет это не так!

by Pinko Commie Bastardreply 5703/15/2013

No, not dead!

I am curious about the hopes and dreams of young adults in Russia.

In America, there used to be a strong media message about the American dream, which used to be an education or hard work would get you a marriage, a house, kids, and a job.

Now it seems to be about being the possibility of achieving overnight success - getting famous or wealthy or both, very quickly.

What kinds of dreams are circulating in Russia?

by Pinko Commie Bastardreply 5803/15/2013

I said it before and I will say it again. Russia is a dying country. I have been to Siberia and the Russian Far East for the past 20 or so years. Small cities, towns, and villages. It is much more brutal now and you get a "survivalist" sense of me vs. them. As the society downwardly spirals, it becomes more violent and the people become more hopeless.

by Pinko Commie Bastardreply 5903/15/2013

You could say the same thing about Alabama R59, and yet it is still there.

by Pinko Commie Bastardreply 6003/15/2013

It is really really really hard to kill a country, and no country in the world has been harder to kill than Russia.

by Pinko Commie Bastardreply 6103/15/2013

Anyone else think Sergey Paramonov was hot? Were you a Young Pioneer?

Юный барабанщик! Юный барабанщик!

by Pinko Commie Bastardreply 6203/15/2013

What's up with the weird alphabet? Why can't they use normal letters like the rest of us? And does it ever stop snowing?

by Pinko Commie Bastardreply 6303/15/2013

[quote]What's up with the weird alphabet? Why can't they use normal letters like the rest of us?

Wikipedia can answer your questions about such things as the willful obstinacy of refusing to use non-weird letters.

by Pinko Commie Bastardreply 6403/15/2013

"Russians see their country as a landscape of endless bespredel, lawlessness, a world devoid of justice".

by Pinko Commie Bastardreply 6503/18/2013

This thread is now officially dead.

by Pinko Commie Bastardreply 6603/18/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!