Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Anyone else frightened by the meningitis outbreak?

I feel like this thing's about to explode. I'm terrified to go anywhere where I encounter a lot of other gay guys, like the bars or the gym. I've been too diligent to stay HIV negative all these years to have this kill me. Anyone else filled with terror?

by Anonymousreply 8706/13/2013

Die young stay pretty.

by Anonymousreply 103/14/2013

Blondie disagrees, R2.

by Anonymousreply 303/14/2013

Are you the Quote Police R2?

by Anonymousreply 403/14/2013

Why don't you just get the vaccine like the article said OP?

by Anonymousreply 503/14/2013

Vaccine is 90% effective....still.

by Anonymousreply 603/14/2013

The vaccine terrifies me too.

by Anonymousreply 703/14/2013

[quote]Anyone else filled with terror?

"Filled with terror??"

Um, no. Since I'm not a character in a horror movie, nor do I have a mental disorder.

[quote]The vaccine terrifies me too.

Ah. So you're not a character in a horror movie either. Got it.

by Anonymousreply 803/14/2013

I'm here.

by Anonymousreply 903/14/2013

“We’ve had several cases who have been actually found dead in their apartment before they’d even gone to see a medical provider,” says a doctor with the NYC health department. “So that is, to us, absolutely terrifying.”

The NYC Health Dept. initially issued a warning to HIV-positive gay men, but it has changed that warning to apply to all gay men. The San Francisco Health Dept. is also warning gay men to to be vaccinated against meningitis before traveling to New York.

by Anonymousreply 1003/15/2013

Also remember, R2, it's better to burn out than to fade away.

by Anonymousreply 1103/15/2013

Multitudes have no insurance, waiters, bartenders etc.

Are they giving free vaccine?

If not expect it to spread even more.

by Anonymousreply 1203/15/2013

R2) I think the accurate quotation was "Live fast, die young, and leave a beautiful corpse."

by Anonymousreply 1303/15/2013

Better to die with your boots on

by Anonymousreply 1503/15/2013

Better to live on your feet than die on your knees

But for some of you, it's better to live on your knees

by Anonymousreply 1603/15/2013

*than a whimper*

by Anonymousreply 1703/15/2013

Better to burn out than to fade away.

Appropriate given the disease.

by Anonymousreply 1803/15/2013

The guy in the pic at OP's link is fat.

by Anonymousreply 1903/15/2013

[quote]The vaccine terrifies me too.

Why?

by Anonymousreply 2003/15/2013

EVERYBODY PANIC!!! EVERYBODY PANIC!!! EVERYBODY PANIC!!! EVERYBODY PANIC!!! EVERYBODY PANIC!!! EVERYBODY PANIC!!! EVERYBODY PANIC!!! EVERYBODY PANIC!!! EVERYBODY PANIC!!! EVERYBODY PANIC!!! EVERYBODY PANIC!!! EVERYBODY PANIC!!! EVERYBODY PANIC!!! EVERYBODY PANIC!!! EVERYBODY PANIC!!! EVERYBODY PANIC!!! EVERYBODY PANIC!!! EVERYBODY PANIC!!! EVERYBODY PANIC!!! EVERYBODY PANIC!!!EVERYBODY PANIC!!! EVERYBODY PANIC!!! EVERYBODY PANIC!!! EVERYBODY PANIC!!! EVERYBODY PANIC!!! EVERYBODY PANIC!!! EVERYBODY PANIC!!! EVERYBODY PANIC!!! EVERYBODY PANIC!!! EVERYBODY PANIC!!! EVERYBODY PANIC!!! EVERYBODY PANIC!!! EVERYBODY PANIC!!! EVERYBODY PANIC!!! EVERYBODY PANIC!!! EVERYBODY PANIC!!! EVERYBODY PANIC!!! EVERYBODY PANIC!!! EVERYBODY PANIC!!! EVERYBODY PANIC!!! EVERYBODY PANIC!!! EVERYBODY PANIC!!! EVERYBODY PANIC!!! EVERYBODY PANIC!!! EVERYBODY PANIC!!! EVERYBODY PANIC!!! EVERYBODY PANIC!!! EVERYBODY PANIC!!! EVERYBODY PANIC!!! EVERYBODY PANIC!!! EVERYBODY PANIC!!! EVERYBODY PANIC!!! EVERYBODY PANIC!!! EVERYBODY PANIC!!! EVERYBODY PANIC!!! EVERYBODY PANIC!!! EVERYBODY PANIC!!! EVERYBODY PANIC!!! EVERYBODY PANIC!!! EVERYBODY PANIC!!! EVERYBODY PANIC!!! EVERYBODY PANIC!!! EVERYBODY PANIC!!! EVERYBODY PANIC!!! EVERYBODY PANIC!!! EVERYBODY PANIC!!! EVERYBODY PANIC!!! EVERYBODY PANIC!!! EVERYBODY PANIC!!!

by Anonymousreply 2103/15/2013

Okay R21 I will...thanks.

by Anonymousreply 2203/16/2013

[quote] The vaccine terrifies me too.

[quote] Why?

It has crazy eyes!

by Anonymousreply 2303/16/2013

Nothing to worry about here. Guys dropping dead before they even see a doctor is no cause for concern. Back to Scruff.

by Anonymousreply 2403/16/2013

When in danger or in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout

by Anonymousreply 2503/16/2013

We had a guy come in last week with it. Young guy in his early 20's. Didn't stand a chance.

The bacterial meningitis kills quickly so you really do need to be careful.

That being said, I love the pearl-clutching responses so please continue.

by Anonymousreply 2603/16/2013

They say the vaccine is worse than the disease. That's just what I heard.

by Anonymousreply 2703/16/2013

The night the lights went out in Hell's Kitchen.

by Anonymousreply 2803/16/2013

That's the night that they fucked an innocent man.

by Anonymousreply 2903/16/2013

City on fire! City on fire!

by Anonymousreply 3003/16/2013

I've never heard of this!

by Anonymousreply 3103/16/2013

[post by racist shit-stain #3 removed.]

by Anonymousreply 3203/16/2013

I don't get your logic, R32. Why not get the vaccine?

by Anonymousreply 3303/16/2013

by Anonymousreply 3403/16/2013

NY hospitals are a cesspool of antibiotic-resistant infections too. If one doesn't get you than the other will, OP!

by Anonymousreply 3503/16/2013

by Anonymousreply 3703/16/2013

[all posts by ham-fisted troll a removed.]

by Anonymousreply 3803/16/2013

Do you have to have sex with someone to get it? If it's bacterial, then can't you can't you contract it from a weight bench in a gym, or from a toilet seat in a gay bar?

by Anonymousreply 3903/16/2013

Its serious stuff. I know one person who died. Its nice to lighten the mood with humor, but I think everyone than can should get vaccinated, and I also think it's really alarming how bad NYC's health dept. has been at getting the word out.

by Anonymousreply 4003/19/2013

vaccine?? but isn't getting something shot up in your anus the way you get sick in the first place?

by Anonymousreply 4103/19/2013

really r42? really? people are at serious risk here. Don't derail an important topic.

by Anonymousreply 4303/19/2013

A friend of mine came down with meningitis almost 10 years ago. He went to his doctor one day because he felt so terrible, doc told him he just had a really bad cold. The next day, he was rushed to the ER near death. They saved him, but he went deaf as a result and he's had to use a walker ever since because it really screwed up his balance. Nasty, nasty stuff. If you're in NYC, get the vaccine.

by Anonymousreply 4403/19/2013

R42 ETC. covers fast food workers.

by Anonymousreply 4503/19/2013

by Anonymousreply 4603/21/2013

[quote] Because from what I read and heard gay men were implored to try the Hep B vaccine and many speculate that caused AIDS

You've been reading shit on the Internet.

I went to work at NYUMC in 1985. They developed the Hep B vaccine and you would not get off probation as a new employee unless you got it. It was made quite clear to us. Something would be found to get rid of us at the end of our orientation/probationary period if w e hadn't gotten our vaccine and boosters.

So we got the vaccine. The LIVE Hep B vaccine. The one developed at NYUMC from the population of the west village. I'm stil in touch with all of the nurses who got the live vaccine and none of us is HIV+.

Find a new bogeyman, dear.

by Anonymousreply 4703/22/2013

Does GMHC still exist?

by Anonymousreply 4803/22/2013

Honestly, I am. Not necessarily a Safe Sex Sally here either but this is always how things start, whether it's SARS or some other recent disease whose name escapes me. People in one region start getting sick and before you know it, it's in other cities and then you have a pandemic. Meningitis is super fast acting and although I'm HIV negative, it is simply not worth the risk. Will be asking my doctor about the vaccine.

by Anonymousreply 4903/22/2013

I used to have a girlfriend known as Elsie With whom I shared Four sordid rooms in Chelsea

She wasn't what you'd call A blushing flower... As a matter of fact She rented by the hour.

The day she died the neighbors came to snicker: "Well, that's what comes from to much pills and liquor."

But when I saw her laid out like a Queen She was the happiest...corpse... I'd ever seen.

Live life, OP!

by Anonymousreply 5003/22/2013

The New York Times reported yesterday:

It is a variant of a disease that can go from a fever and headache to a galloping rash and then to death within hours — so quickly that some victims have been found dead in bed before they could even get to a doctor. Over the last two years, it has appeared only among men, and they often got it, health officials say, through anonymous sexual encounters with other men found through Internet chat rooms or digital apps or at parties, making it all but impossible to trace the path of infection.

It is a unique strain of bacterial meningitis, so new it has not even been named, and it is particularly lethal — killing one out of three people instead of the one out of five who succumb to other strains of meningitis.

New York City health officials are growing increasingly worried that this strain of meningitis, which is an inflammation of the lining around the brain and the spinal cord, is so insidious that it could suddenly mushroom into a major outbreak, claiming many lives before anything can be done to stop it.

by Anonymousreply 5103/22/2013

Speaking of folklore ("from what I read and heard...", "It's just what I was told..."), I had the Hep B vaccine series when it was first marketed to the gay community, and this was after the HIV epidemic began. I have consistently tested HIV negative. Same with my friends who had it.

The folklore that it had anything to do with the HIV epidemic comes from conspiracy theorists who didn't (and in some crazy cases still don't) think HIV has anything to do with AIDS.

by Anonymousreply 5203/22/2013

"Over the last two years, it has appeared only among men, and they often got it, health officials say, through anonymous sexual encounters with other men found through Internet chat rooms or digital apps or at parties, making it all but impossible to trace the path of infection."

Reading this in the Times makes me think of the scene in Longtime Companion when the characters were reading the Times' first article on the "new gay cancer."

by Anonymousreply 5303/22/2013

See I told you God hates fags.

by Anonymousreply 5403/22/2013

by Anonymousreply 5503/22/2013

This is really not good.

by Anonymousreply 5603/22/2013

How are people contracting it? By blowing or cornholing?

by Anonymousreply 5703/22/2013

[quote]Because from what I read and heard gay men were implored to try the Hep B vaccine and many speculate that caused AIDS

The reason that so many guys who received the vaccine also ended up contracting HIV was because it was primarily tested on and marketed to gay men who were engaging in risky behaviour.

by Anonymousreply 5803/22/2013

by Anonymousreply 5903/22/2013

Is it like hepatitis, where you could have had it once- and now you are healthy but a "carrier"?

by Anonymousreply 6003/22/2013

My brother came down with viral meningitis. If it would have been bacterial, he would have been dead. Bacterial can spread by coughs, or casual contact. Be careful and don't mess with it.

by Anonymousreply 6103/22/2013

[quote]Because from what I read and heard gay men were implored to try the Hep B vaccine and many speculate that caused AIDS

Do a bit more reading.

Researchers saved blood samples from all the gay men who were to be given the hepatitis vaccine.

After AIDS broke out and a test was developed, they went back to those samples and tested them for HIV.

20% of the men who showed up to get the vaccine were already HIV+ in 1978-79.

by Anonymousreply 6203/22/2013

I don't know anything about this outbreak - i'm in a different country - but my understanding is that it is spread by coughing and sneezing so why are gay men supposedly more vulnerable? I've never heard that before.

It has a very quick onset and can lead to death or disability so I'd be getting the vaccine if there were lots of cases in the local cummunity.

And HIV was not caused by the hep b vaccine. What a load of BS.

by Anonymousreply 6303/22/2013

One down in WeHo:

by Anonymousreply 6404/13/2013

Fuck, he was cute too...

by Anonymousreply 6504/13/2013

What a load of stupidity R63. And R62, you're taking the word for it of the guy who collected the samples. Maybe he took the samples after the first injection. Free your mind.

It is unlikely that there is an imperative to kill gays off in military and intelligence circles now. But one must always ALWAYS retain a healthy skepticism of the medical community. They infected millions with cancer causing monkey viruses when they vaccinated against polio back in the day. They routinely lie about their vaccine programs, and while vaccination has undoubted benefits and has eliminated some terrible diseases, one must always be vigilant.

by Anonymousreply 6604/13/2013

Can some one explain this?

The new strain of meningitis virus is only passed by sexual contact and/or kissing,

From the NY Times article that R51 linked:

Many of men who are at risk may not identify themselves as either gay or bisexual, even though they are having sex with other men, health officials said.

So how the fuck are they making this a *gays only* disease? Just because a breeder hasn't got it yet?

Seems like I've heard this gays only thing somewhere before.

by Anonymousreply 6704/13/2013

Gays aren't the only ones getting it. It's popping up around, 500 cases from 2003-2007. But there was a cluster in NY gay men recently and sometimes these gay communities are so close knit and promiscuous that they can spread diseases quickly.

by Anonymousreply 6804/13/2013

The people who are telling others to NOT take the vaccine in this thread are INSANE and borderline EVIL.

Just imagine this was 1981 and there was a vaccine for AIDS and you have these IDIOTS telling people not to take something that could save their lives.

What's wrong with humanity? Why are there always, always, always this contingent of stupidity who are always contrarian about these things? Who are these people who are constantly on the wrong side of history?

by Anonymousreply 6904/13/2013

[quote]They infected millions with cancer causing monkey viruses when they vaccinated against polio back in the day.

In peer-reviewed medical journals I think they also like to use the phrase "back in the day."

by Anonymousreply 7004/13/2013

40% of new HIV infections are people between ages 13 and 29.

by Anonymousreply 7104/13/2013

I have an extremely healthy skepticism of the medical community. But, nevertheless, this is not a particularly well-reasoned answer to why one should not get the vaccine:

[quote]Because from what I read and heard gay men were implored to try the Hep B vaccine and many speculate that caused AIDS.

Where is the logic in that?

by Anonymousreply 7204/13/2013

Read it and weep. Most importantly, read between the lines. This amounts to a "soft" coverup. Polio never affected that many people.

by Anonymousreply 7304/13/2013

[65]: He's "cute"? Looks like a shark. Think of all those billable hours he won't get to submit and all those unsold condos.

by Anonymousreply 7404/13/2013

I wonder if any new cases will appear after Coachella?

by Anonymousreply 7504/13/2013

Is this a new strain? There are meningitis cases every year in the US. The vaccine is always given if there were multiple exposures. It's not that uncommon for a case to hit a college. then all the students are given the vaccine and everyone holds their collective breath and hopes for the best. What is making these cases among gay men unique?

by Anonymousreply 7604/13/2013

R74 is the biggest cunt of life.

by Anonymousreply 7704/13/2013

The vaccine only protects you against viral meningitis. As I understand it, this is a bacterial strain. Getting the vaccine will not protect you from this version. Please be carefull.

What I do find odd, is that it is only men. How is that possible?

by Anonymousreply 7804/13/2013

re 78 here:

take my post back. It does provide protection for bacterial. There are several different types. It is not clear that any one vaccine is protection against every type of strain of bacterial meningitis.

by Anonymousreply 7904/13/2013

bump

by Anonymousreply 8004/14/2013

Free vaccine available, call 311 for locations. Lack of insurance was the #1 reason men were not getting the shot, get it for free.

by Anonymousreply 8104/14/2013

The bacterial is worse, from what I understand.

By the time you realize you have it, it's too late.

As a side note, it doesn't surprise me in the least that HIV is on the increase in the younger population. A lot of your men refuse to wear condoms because they "don't like the feeling" and "I'm careful".

by Anonymousreply 8204/14/2013

I was thinking about coming to NYC for pride, how is the city doing in regards to this outbreak? Has it been contained? I haven't heard any throng else in the news.

by Anonymousreply 8306/13/2013

I had sex several weeks ago and then a few weeks after that came down with a bad cold, doctor says it's bronchitis.

I'll live.

But in my mind all I can do is relate the two events, which is ridiculous.

by Anonymousreply 8406/13/2013

OP died, right?

Thank heavens.

by Anonymousreply 8506/13/2013

got the shot--it takes 5 seconds

by Anonymousreply 8606/13/2013

"I haven't heard any throng else in the news."

Oh, dear.

by Anonymousreply 8706/13/2013
Need more help? Click Here.