Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

What New Things Are You Putting In Your Non-Vegetable Garden This Year?

I just ordered a Going Bananas daylily, a hybrid derived from Happy Returns, that is supposed to be more floral productive.

Last year I bought Fragrant Returns, which is a fragrant variety of Happy Returns, but it didn't produce many flowers. It was pretty much a dud.

by Anonymousreply 1003/15/2013

I'm thinking of replacing my plain old catmint with Walker's Low catmint. The regular variety is impossible to kill, so it's good for waste areas, but it spreads too much. It can kill other plants if it gets out of control.

Walkers Low doesn't seem to be so invasive, but I don't know if you can cut it back and get more bloom time as I do with the regular catmint. I usually shave one catmint while the others are in bloom, then repeat. I get 3 blooms per plant. And they look less shaggy.

by Anonymousreply 103/14/2013

I am cutting back on the jungle I end up with each summer. I have planted various colors of giant zinnias that reseed each year. They grow to 6 and 7 feet and cleaning up the garden each winter is more than I want to do. I always grow morning glories on both the front and back fence. Every year I try and grow moonflower vines. Have succeeded getting a plant or two most years but they are a challenge to get them to sprout. Going to try something new this year.

by Anonymousreply 203/14/2013

I like giant things (elephant ears, sunflowers, etc.). I want to try cannas bulbs this year, and see how huge I can get them.

by Anonymousreply 303/14/2013

I may have to buy a new Pink Delight butterfly bush. First hurricane Irene uprooted it. We tied it to the deck rails and covered the roots with soil and it bloomed beautifully. Then hurricane Sandy came along and uprooted it again. It wasn't so easy to tie it this time and some noreasters and snowstorms uncovered the roots. It's a beautiful bush, but they grow pretty fast, so a little one will grow by the following summer.

Hurricane Sandy blew my trumpet vine off the top of my shed. That's a good thing. The vine was taking over the shed. It's totally invasive. We cut it back to a stump and I poured Round Up on it, but I hear it is nearly impossible to kill.

by Anonymousreply 403/14/2013

Elephant Ears, full sun, soaker hose....ENORMOUS! Some leaves nearly three feet, stalks over six.

by Anonymousreply 503/14/2013

Don't forget --- impatiens have been dying all over the country from the new mildew. Don't buy lots of them until you are sure they won't die. I wasted over $100 on them last year before I knew about the downy mildew which eventually infected and killed all of them.

Also -- don't buy dwarf English boxwood. Over the past few years I planted quite a few of them and they all got infected with a blight and died. There are other boxwoods that are a bit more resistant. Do some googling before buying any boxwoods.

by Anonymousreply 603/14/2013

One year I hired a landscaper to plant. Big mistake. Everything I asked for, he got something different.

One plant I wanted was a pink summer sweet. It smelled so nice and was called a hummingbird magnet online. Well, he got white summer sweet, which isn't nearly as attractive. Worse, it's not a hummingbird magnet because of all the giant wasps and hornets all over it! I have a lot of plants that attract honeybees and bumblebees. No problem. I've ever been stung by one. But wasps and hornets? No thanks!

And summer sweet is kind of invasive. If you don't keep pulling it up, it will take over.

by Anonymousreply 703/14/2013

I'm going to throw some cosmos seeds down in my side garden bed as soon as it stops snowing/sleeting/icy mixing.

by Anonymousreply 803/15/2013

White Widow

Sour Diesel

Sensi Star

Grape Ape

Ogre Kush

by Anonymousreply 903/15/2013

R1, I have Walker's Low catmint in my garden. It has done really well for the past 4 years. Am thinking about adding it to an area along my driveway that I've had no luck with anything.

by Anonymousreply 1003/15/2013
Need more help? Click Here.