Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Here, a collection of his very worst quotes on the issue.

1. A Senate vote on gay marriage is a destructive pretension against the plan of God

From a letter to the Carmelite Sisters of Buenos Aires on the perils of marriage equality:

“Let’s not be naïve, we’re not talking about a simple political battle; it is a destructive pretension against the plan of God. We are not talking about a mere bill, but rather a machination of the Father of Lies that seeks to confuse and deceive the children of God.”

2. Gay marriage will destroy the family

More from the same letter to the four monasteries of Argentina:

“The Argentine people will face a situation whose outcome can seriously harm the family… At stake is the identity and survival of the family: father, mother and children.

3. Gay parenting is a rejection of God’s law engraved in our hearts

“At stake are the lives of many children who will be discriminated against in advance, and deprived of their human development given by a father and a mother and willed by God. At stake is the total rejection of God’s law engraved in our hearts.”

4. The political struggle against marriage equality is war

And finally:

“The bill will be discussed in the Senate after July 13. Look at San Jose, Maria, Child and ask them [to] fervently defend Argentina’s family at this time. [Be reminded] what God told his people in a time of great anguish: ‘This war is not yours but God’s.’ May they succor, defend and join God in this war.”

5. Gay adoption is discrimination against children

According to the National Catholic Reporter, Francis called gay adoption a form of “discrimination against children.” A comment that resulted in a public rebuke from Argentine president Cristina Fernández de Kirchner, who said that Francis’ remarks suggested “medieval times and the Inquisition.”

by Anonymousreply 8503/16/2013

It would seem like a lot of Argentine Catholics are saying "good riddance" under their breath.

[quote]More from the same letter to the four monasteries of Argentina:

[quote]“The Argentine people will face a situation whose outcome can seriously harm the family… At stake is the identity and survival of the family: father, mother and children.

Is this not a bizarre statement to make to a group of people who have categorically rejected family life?

by Anonymousreply 103/14/2013

by Anonymousreply 203/14/2013

I wish we had posters from Argentina. I'd love to know how he's perceived there by the "average" Catholic. And by that I mean someone who believes in god but doesn't attend church beyond milestone events.

by Anonymousreply 303/14/2013

It looks like Veronica Mars hates us.

by Anonymousreply 403/14/2013

It is just a feeling, but I am getting the impression this may not work out too well for us. For some reason people are embracing this Pope, and they seem to feel enough already with gay causes.

by Anonymousreply 503/14/2013

OP - Pope Francis doesn't hate - don't you know - he loves the person, hates the sin. Because being gay is not a sin, he only hates you being actively gay.

If you are a celibate gay, he's fine with you.

by Anonymousreply 603/14/2013

Get i

by Anonymousreply 703/14/2013

by Anonymousreply 803/14/2013

Fuck him and fuck anyone standing with him supporting him. He has the fucking nerve to stand there and mention families and say gay parenting is rejection of god's law? What about the fucking pedophile priests that the church protects? This is so so fucked up. I expected them to select a pope that is sane and that wants to bring the church into the 21st century. Not this asshole.

by Anonymousreply 903/14/2013

So he probably doesn't mind pedo priests as long as they don't act on it?

by Anonymousreply 1003/14/2013

Oh please, R5. Who's EMBRACING this poop? He was just announced yesterday. I can tell you nobody gives a shit in the UK, that's for sure. He's facing a shit storm of scandal. Don't be cowed by the ritual. He sounds like a total douche bag.

by Anonymousreply 1203/14/2013

The Catholic Church continues to be shamelessly hypocritical on the issue of gay marriage.

They do not preach from a position of immaculate example, do they?

I hope the new Pope remembers that God sees all.

by Anonymousreply 1303/14/2013

Why are you posting about the pope, r13?

by Anonymousreply 1403/14/2013

Who is Veronica Mars and why does she hate the gays?

by Anonymousreply 1503/14/2013

Fuck him. I hope he dies.

by Anonymousreply 1703/14/2013

R16 et al., these threads won't die as long as you keep posting to them.

by Anonymousreply 1903/14/2013

Why does "Francis the Talking Mule" keep popping into my head?

by Anonymousreply 2003/14/2013

OP, why do you care?

by Anonymousreply 2103/14/2013

R21...ummm, gay message board, breeder. That's why.

by Anonymousreply 2203/14/2013

People give this institution too much power on here. You need to ignore them, unless they're molesting children. The CC is from another country. They have no power in places like the US. There's so many people spouting out that they'd be Catholic if the church wasn't anti-gay, or that they wish the church would progress. Why? Why do you care about this irrelevant organization? Move on already.

by Anonymousreply 2303/14/2013

r23= Catholic breeder.

"People" aren't doing anything. The media promotes the pope and giv es him all that power. Ignoring him just makes him that much more powerful, because most people respond to the media coverage favorably.

by Anonymousreply 2403/14/2013

European silk worms totally agree with this sentiment.

by Anonymousreply 2503/14/2013

Oh god. Let him fuck himself.

by Anonymousreply 2603/14/2013

by Anonymousreply 2703/14/2013

If I make a donation to the Veronica Mars kickstarter campaign, will that make the Pope like me? How much do I need to donate to get him to love me?

by Anonymousreply 2803/14/2013

A person can be progressive and liberal on almost all issues, but still not favor gay marriage and gay adoption.

This does not apply to the new Pope, just to various individuals in societies.

And not being in favor of gay marriage does not mean one is anti-gay at all.

One can be very supportive of gays and still not favor gay marriage.

by Anonymousreply 2903/14/2013

R23 calls the Catholic church and "irrelevant organization" and R24 calls him a "Catholic breeder." Alrighty.

by Anonymousreply 3003/14/2013

This guy is not progressive on ANY issues R29. He was violently opposed to liberation theology.

by Anonymousreply 3103/14/2013

Well fuck him to hell and back. Who really cares about the goddamn pope anyway?

by Anonymousreply 3203/14/2013

R31, can you not read and comprehend?

I said at R29 that I am not referring to nor describing the new Pope.

by Anonymousreply 3303/14/2013

r22/r24 = wins the Oh, Dear Award

by Anonymousreply 3403/14/2013

Both Bill Clinton and Barack Obama have been very supportive of gays and gay issues, but both were against gay marriage until very recently.

And I'm not sure if Bill Clinton now supports gay marriage.

Neither Clinton nor Obama are half-wits, R35. Both are highly intelligent and very knowledgeable and accomplished.

by Anonymousreply 3603/14/2013

Never mind issues of gay equality -- it was a foregone conclusion that any successor to Ratzinger wouldn't be an improvement. That's going to take decades if not centuries.

I think that his opposition to liberation theology is what's most telling about his character and it's not good. I'd be very curious to see what his relationship with the Argentine Junta really was. No way in hell he could have made it without being cozy with them. Hell, he might have gone to school with some of the perpetrators.

[quote]While praised for his work with the poor, Cardinal Jorge Mario Bergoglio — now Pope Francis — has long been dogged by accusations of his role during Argentina’s military dictatorship. We speak to Horacio Verbitsky, a leading Argentine journalist who exposed Francis’ connection to the abduction of two Jesuit priests. Verbitsky is an investigative journalist for the newspaper Página/12, or Page/12, and head of the Center for Legal and Social Studies, an Argentine human rights organization.

by Anonymousreply 3703/14/2013

Maybe it's just YOU he hates.

by Anonymousreply 3803/14/2013

[quote]One can be very supportive of gays and still not favor gay marriage.

Er, no, one can't. If you aren't in favor of gay marriage, that means you see gays as somehow 'lesser' or 'other,' so however much you might purport to be "supportive" of gays, you're really pretending to be so while holding your breath.

Anyone who is really entirely supportive of gays doesn't feel they have any right to additional rights, they just think of all human beings as the same.

by Anonymousreply 3903/14/2013

Here's my problem. I don't expect the Catholic Church or any church to embrace marriage equality if it's against their tenets. They have a right to set their rules and people have the choice to either follow them or not.

My problem is speaking out against civil marriage equality and calling it destructive, evil etc.

So many REAL fucking problems in the world and these assholes concentrate on denying a minority their right to live their lives as they wish and harming no one.

by Anonymousreply 4003/14/2013

I urge everyone to work toward destroying the Catholic church. They have brought so much misery to the lives of people. Let's bring it down, baby.

If everyone who was raped brought charges, that alone would bankrupt them.

by Anonymousreply 4103/14/2013

Dustin's exactly right.

OF COURE the pope and his church hate us.

And that's their right.

But when they are allowed to help legislate against us?

No. Completely wrong.

by Anonymousreply 4203/14/2013

Why does this not surprise me? The Big Gay Cabal in the Vatican should be shitting it's collective pants right about now. He was picked to get out the Gay in the heirarchy of the Roman Catholic Church. Off topic, didn't Dolan look disappointed? All that humble pie was just bullshit. They are ALL ambitious and want to be Pope. And let me head off the idiot who screams that if we are not Catholic, not interested in religion, or hate those who are, that we should NOT READ THE THREADS OR COMMENT!!!, to kindly take your communion wafer and stick it up your very repressed ass.

by Anonymousreply 4403/14/2013

The pope's stance on gay marriage has no relevance to the issue in the US. It is a civil issue and, even though formals religions around the world have opposed it, it is becoming a reality in the US. People who are guided by the pope's stance, are the same people who were guided by Benedict's stance and look how the prospect of marriage has increased despite them. More of an enemy are the Christian evangelicals ( mostly Baptists) because, while Catholics are divided on the issue and tend to do what they want anyway, evangelicals act as one.

by Anonymousreply 4503/14/2013

I agree R39, See, I make this same argument all the time about Republicans, saying that a vote for a GOP candidate is a vote against equality, and so many of you guys respond with shock. On the thread about that really hot actor on the CW, Jansen somebody, there was a link to the LA Clerk's site and it clearly showed that this guy was not only a registered Republican but that he'd confirmed that status recently. There were idiots everywhere saying, "Just because he's Republican doesn't mean he's anti-gay" . . . and "Just because he's against gay marriage doesn't mean he's anti-gay."

I'm sorry but that's bullshit. My belief is that one can be marching in gay pride parades and sending shitloads of money to HRC but if you're not in favor of gay marriage and voting accordingly, you're somewhat of a homophobic moron.

by Anonymousreply 4703/14/2013

The pope in 1978 was pro-gay. That's all I'm saying. You all have too low expectations of these people. These violent right-wingers have taken over the Vatican by force. It is not a matter of politics.

by Anonymousreply 4803/14/2013

[quote] He was picked to get out the Gay in the heirarchy of the Roman Catholic Church.

Do you think so? He's lived his whole life in Argentina and, apparently, isn't really part of the Vatican scene. It would seem to be advantageous if he's going to be the "reformer" pope who kicks the gay cabal out, but he's at a huge disadvantage. If he has few connections and relationships with the hierarchy and its minions, gofers, and assassins, he's going to be stymied implementing any dictates. He'll be susceptible to being undermined and worse.

I remember when Ratzinger was selected all of the media were describing him as a "transitional" due to his age and former position in the Vatican as the Doctrine of Faith office. He was a mind the store type of guy after an influential and charismatic pope. This guy is practically the same age as Ratzinger was, but he's coming in as an outsider during a time of crisis.

I think this guy is another stopgap pope because the church doesn't have a plan. They don't know what the hell to do. Elaborate, monolithic systems like the Vatican and the church eventually become geared as much, if not more, to maintaining themselves at the status quo than meeting their original purpose.

In the meantime, the church does get the PR of selecting the first Latin American pope, blah, blah, blah. I think the most interesting development is that the short list didn't include an African pope. There was so much talk about it, yet zip. It makes me wonder if the church has that continent of the far back burner. At least there's less risk of losing the flock to Pentacostal or charismatic Christian sects.

by Anonymousreply 4903/14/2013

R19 I'm hoping people will come to hate these stupid threads sooner if they think all they're going to see is

by Anonymousreply 5003/14/2013

And look what happened to him, R48.

He was also said to have disagreed with Paul VI's papal encyclical on birth control and did not view it as ex cathedra (therefore not infallible). And look what happened to him.

The Vatican never investigated and I'm sure the pope's remains were never subjected to an autopsy.

by Anonymousreply 5103/14/2013

Don't get fooled again...Meet the new boss, same as the old boss...These a-holes never change.

by Anonymousreply 5203/14/2013

with all due respect, if you're not catholic why do you care what anyone representing the catholic church has to say about gay marriage? live your own life and don't fret about others.

oppossing gay marriage or gay rights is not breaking a law. why don't you petition the church not paying taxes?

molestation is another story, those bastards who did it and hid it should be burned.

by Anonymousreply 5303/14/2013

Catholics can think what they want about gays. I can think what I want about them. I was asking yesterday what was up with all the pope threads. I didn't get it. They are not worth it. Anyway, I have Jewish friends who don't agree with my lifestyle either (from reading the board I'm not the only one) But we are still friends. I don't hate people because they don't agree with me. That's why my Jewish friends (the ones that didn't shun me )are in my life. Catholics are different. I hate Catholics because of the child abuse and opulance (sp?)

by Anonymousreply 5403/14/2013

That's only if you believe in the bilble R55.

by Anonymousreply 5603/14/2013

[quote]we will be richly rewarded for our sacrifice in Heaven.

Oh, heavens!

by Anonymousreply 5703/14/2013

by Anonymousreply 5903/15/2013

The Catholic religion does not support gay marriage, simple as that. So how do you even consider the possibility of a pope becoming pro-gay marriage? It is not because the pope hates gay people. The pope is only supporting his church's doctrines.

by Anonymousreply 6003/15/2013

Indeed. BUT.

The Pope and his church should NOT be able to influence American elections & public policy, yet they do.

by Anonymousreply 6103/15/2013

The Vatican pushes back against allegations that the new Pope stayed largely silent during Argentina's "Dirty War" against that nation's liberals and other opponents to the illegal military junta.

Per Reuters:

by Anonymousreply 6203/15/2013

The Vatican doesn't know because his testimony about all this was secret.

And the allegation was much more than staying silent: it was allowing church property to be used to hide political prisoners from human rights groups.

by Anonymousreply 6303/15/2013

Just think if it was the 1500s. He would put all out people in prison and torture them.

by Anonymousreply 6403/15/2013

Secret testimony

by Anonymousreply 6503/15/2013

Why do people ever respect anyone in a powerful place. They had to fight dirty to get to that place.

by Anonymousreply 6603/15/2013

Well, R60, if the pope doesn't support our rights, he doesn't like us, no matter what slips out of his mouth.

by Anonymousreply 6703/15/2013

Pope John Paul I probably supported gay marriage. He testified in front of Italian parliament in favor of gay adoptions. There is nothing "real" about Catholic hate of gays. It has no scriptural or theological basis.

by Anonymousreply 6803/15/2013

[quote]The Pope and his church should NOT be able to influence American elections & public policy, yet they do.

Who's fault is that. And why were some Americans at St Peters openly saying they want an American pope and Dolan or O'Malley would be a reforming force? Wouldn't it have made things worse for Americans of other faiths?

by Anonymousreply 6903/15/2013

And then -- there are us GLBT Catholics who don't loathe ourselves, love the faith, and are hanging in there to change the Church. Snicker all you want, folks -- it's a great organization.

by Anonymousreply 7003/15/2013

You are the problem, you idiot at R70.

As long as you "hang in there" this band of women hating, deeply closeted faggots will continue to spew their self-loathing hatred.

1. Cut off their supply of money. 2. Cut off the supply of people like yourself who do all the heavy lifting for the Church while these parasites reap all the benefit of your hard work and talk about all the good deeds Catholics do.

by Anonymousreply 7103/15/2013

Did you read bother to read about the organization, R71? Nowhere does it say that it is "hanging in there" with the closeted faggots. Quite the contrary.

I'm a content atheist and not R70, BTW.

by Anonymousreply 7203/15/2013

R71 - first of all, don't judge me so fast. You don't know me.

1. I do not financially support the church. I support my local soup kitchen. 2. What is your idea of heavy lifting? I visit the sick, hold the hands of those who are going through crisis, work at the local HIV Center, and care for those who need it. I don't care if others take credit for my actions. I don't do it for them. I do it because I believe in God, and I want to help people.

Open your mind. There is more than one way to view an issue.

by Anonymousreply 7303/15/2013

Did you not bother to read R70's post, R72.

In the second line of her post, she says "hanging in there." Can you not read? Comprehension problem?.

And R70/R73, when my basic human rights are concerned, there is NOT more than one way to view an issue. This isn't about you and your relationship to God, which I could give a rat's ass about. It's about me and people like me and our dignity as human beings, something the criminal cabal know at the Catholic Church hierarchy want to destroy.

by Anonymousreply 7403/15/2013

R71, I completely understand your point of view, and I respect it. Anger moves people differently. My anger for the church moves me to try to change it from within. Skeptical I'll see any change in my lifetime, but at least my conscience can rest easy that I did as I believed.

by Anonymousreply 7503/15/2013

You are obviously thoughtful, r70.

What is your opinion on the 'pro-life' movement?

by Anonymousreply 7603/15/2013

It reads "hanging in there to [italic]change[/italic]" the church, not "hanging in there so the cabal can massage each others' balls freely and skip off to the sauna while they hypocritically impose bullshit on the masses." Big difference. The concept of "church" is an abstraction that binds people together; it's not the Vatican, its hierarchy, and its dogma. Far from it. There are orders of nuns that are pretty much breaking away from the Vatican. There was a thread about that here a year or two ago.

Why do you capitalize god?

by Anonymousreply 7703/15/2013

R76, I am pro-choice, as are most of my Catholic friends, including priests and women religious. I have no issue with people who are personally pro-life, but how dare anyone take that right away from anyone else?

And R77, I have no desire to help the cabal massage each other's balls. And I don't. A lot of nuns I know are breaking from the Vatican. More power to them.

I capitalize God because I believe in God. I also have a slew of atheist friends who are a hell of a lot more "Christian" in their behavior and kindness than traditional Catholics.

by Anonymousreply 7803/15/2013

kudos for your calm tone, and your honest replies, r70.

by Anonymousreply 7903/15/2013

R77 was directed at R71/74 who has such issues with the church yet capitalizes "god." I am R72.

by Anonymousreply 8003/15/2013

Thanks, R76. I know the Catholic church has greatly hurt so many people. I completely understand it when people loathe the church and want it removed from the earth. They have good reason to feel that way.

by Anonymousreply 8103/15/2013

I have no anger for the Church as I know I'm free to leave should I be consumed by hostile emotions.

by Anonymousreply 8203/15/2013

I agree with the gist of what you said R40, but you touched on a major reason why I'm beginning to think that organized religion is just plain evil and a scourge on the world.

I would LOVE to have a "live and let live" attitude regarding people's religious beliefs, but way too many of them refuse to have a similar attitude towards anyone who disagrees. If they would all just quietly believe whatever they want and leave everyone else alone, then I wouldn't give a single shit, but they seem fully incapable of doing that. If religious leaders cannot learn to keep their opinions to themselves and stop trying to use their viewpoints to influence the world at large, then their religion completely deserves to be eradicated.

by Anonymousreply 8303/15/2013

Amen, r83. Excuse the pun.

by Anonymousreply 8403/15/2013

by Anonymousreply 8503/16/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!