Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Chris Hayes Moves To MSNBC Weeknights

This is the other shoe we were waiting to hear drop following Ed Schultz’ announcement last night that he’s leaving his weeknight 8 PM/ET slot in April. His show is moving to weekends from 5-7 PM/ET. No word yet on what will replace Up With Chris Hayes which runs weekends at 8 AM/ET.

NEW YORK – March 14, 2013 – Chris Hayes will host MSNBC’s 8 p.m. ET hour starting Monday, April 1. The announcement was made today by Phil Griffin, President of MSNBC.

“Chris has done an amazing job creating a franchise on weekend morning,” said Griffin. “He’s an extraordinary talent and has made a strong connection with our audience. This is an exciting time for MSNBC.”

“I am thrilled to be joining Rachel and Lawrence in primetime,” said Hayes. “I’ve absolutely loved hosting UP on the weekends and I’m looking forward to thinking through the news five nights a week.”

More information regarding the new 8 p.m. program will be available in the coming days.

Since 2011, Chris Hayes has hosted the weekend morning program “Up w/Chris Hayes” on MSNBC. He has also contributed to all major political events throughout the 2012 Presidential election and regularly served as guest host for “The Rachel Maddow Show” and “The Last Word with Lawrence O’Donnell”. He continues to serve as editor-at-large for The Nation, a role he has held since 2007.

Hayes’ first book, “Twilight of the Elites: America After Meritocracy,” which is about the crisis of authority in American life, was published in June 2012. He has written on a wide variety of political and social issues and his work has appeared in The New York Times Magazine, Time, The Nation, The American Prospect, The New Republic, The Washington Monthly, The Guardian, and The Chicago Reader. He is a former Fellow at Harvard University’s Edmond J. Safra Foundation Center for Ethics, a Bernard Schwartz Fellow at the New America Foundation and was a Schumann Center Writing Fellow at In These Times.

He is a graduate of Brown University with a Bachelor of Arts in philosophy. Follow Chris on twitter @chrislhayes.

by Anonymousreply 8003/20/2013

I bet they give Joy Reid the 8-10am Saturday slot.

by Anonymousreply 103/14/2013

I hope he'll get glasses that fit his face.

by Anonymousreply 203/14/2013

I know Ed has fans here, but personally I won't miss his bellowing warehouse boss delivery (nor his ridiculously tilted phone polls "So viewers, who do you agree with - Paul Ryan or President Obama?" duh)

I like Chris Hayes, but think he could also stand to dial it back a bit. He always seems like he's had 19 cups of coffee and is just about to come out of his skin. Maybe he'll calm down a bit having 5 nights a week to fill instead of 2 mornings; or his style will just be easier to take at night than first thing on a weekend morning. I'm just glad it's not going to be Ezra Klein; I appreciate his brain but cannot listen to his wooden delivery for long.

I love Joy Reid as does MSNBC, apparently, so would be happy for her to get a regular gig.

by Anonymousreply 303/14/2013

Stupid move. Too much nerdiness back to back, coming right before Rachel's show. Whether you love Ed or hate him, MSNBC needs people like Ed who can attract blue-collar, middle-America types and can get people fired up. That's what we need to keep the Democratic momentum going and to keep winning elections. The nerdy East Coast intellectuals will always skew liberal. We need people who appeal to the rest of the nation. Do you think Chris Hayes would ever do a show live from Freeport, Illinois? It seems that MSNBC is going for an "all nerdy, intellectual wonks all the time" image. I can't imagine that Chris will attract a bigger audience than Ed.

by Anonymousreply 403/14/2013

[quote] Stupid move. Too much nerdiness back to back, coming right before Rachel's show. Whether you love Ed or hate him, MSNBC needs people like Ed who can attract blue-collar, middle-America types and can get people fired up.

You may have a good point. Keep Ed on, but get rid of the annoying Twitter feed and the ridiculous polls.

by Anonymousreply 503/14/2013

Two lesbians back to back.

by Anonymousreply 603/14/2013

I liked Ed, but he was kind of abrasive. He was always yelling.

by Anonymousreply 703/14/2013

His polls are hilarious.

by Anonymousreply 803/14/2013

R2 is so right on about the glasses.

I like Chris and I think his show is very thought-provoking, with well-balanced panels, but I agree, it is going to be a nerd-fest every night on MSNBC.

Whoever said Chris would never report live from Freeport was right. MSNBC is doing a disservice to working class folks, not having Ed (or others like him) in their daily mix.

(But maybe that's the point: Those working class folks are not as coveted a demographic as the educated, upper-middle class folks Chris will likely attract in that slot.)

by Anonymousreply 903/14/2013

Given the shadow the bottom of his frames creates, R9, I'm surprised someone at MSNBC hasn't done, or at least said, something.

by Anonymousreply 1003/14/2013

I work in market research and I can tell you right now blue collar, lower middle class people are NOT watching MSNBC. Their demo is mainly upper middle class/affluent and white.

Also, R4 is living in a dream world. MSNBC is a brand, it's a business. They are not an arm of the Democratic party so they are totally unconcerned with "firing up" blue collar, Middle America types.

All they care about are money and ratings.

Besides, Ed ain't that important and he certainly doesn't swing elections. If he did, Scott Walker wouldn't be governor right now.

by Anonymousreply 1103/14/2013

R11 I believe the have the highest African-American viewers on cable news, so there goes your white demo theory.

by Anonymousreply 1203/14/2013

[quote]I believe the have the highest African-American viewers on cable news, so there goes your white demo theory.

No, actually they don't. That would be CNN.

by Anonymousreply 1303/14/2013

r12 Having the highest black demo and still also getting wealthy whites is not mutually exclusive. Wealthy urban whites often have the same political views as blacks-- even though they might not mix and mingle with them for class and racial reasons.

by Anonymousreply 1403/14/2013

[quote] All they care about are money and ratings.

Yes, and Chris Hayes is a ratings magnet! With Hayes' natural charisma, I'm sure MSNBC will quickly overtake Fox in the ratings.

[quote] Besides, Ed ain't that important

From link:

Situated as the lead-in to the network’s top rated The Rachel Maddow Show, the Ed slot is a hot one for MSNBC. Schultz performed well for the network ratingswise and certainly helped contribute to MSNBC seeing double-digit gains in 2012 in both viewers and the key adults 25-54 demographic in primetime.

by Anonymousreply 1503/14/2013

Good for him but I will miss him on the Sat/Sun show. I always recorded it and for the most part (sometimes it could get a tad on the wonky side which he admitted)it was refreshing to see topics covered in depth without the rancor of other shows. Is Ezra Klein taking his place? Joy would be good too. Or Ari Melber but only if he worked nude.

by Anonymousreply 1603/14/2013

Again, to dispel the myth that Ed was a ratings disaster who was driving 25-to-54-year-olds away:

The "fat, red-headed guy from Fargo," as Schultz refers to himself, handily beat the more camera-friendly Anderson Cooper in that timeslot. And while it seems no one ever will top Fox’s Bill O’Reilly, Schultz earned MSNBC its best 8 p.m. ratings among the coveted 25-to-54 demographic since 2009.

by Anonymousreply 1703/14/2013

I wonder if Haye's will be able to do indepth subjects with a daily show. The allure of a week-end show is that you could look at the week in a distance and analyze it fully.

by Anonymousreply 1803/14/2013

[quote]Haye's

So many grocers here.

by Anonymousreply 1903/14/2013

r14 you say it like it's a negative thing to have upper middle class/affluent and white/black demo.

by Anonymousreply 2003/14/2013

[all posts by ham-fisted troll a removed.]

by Anonymousreply 2103/14/2013

Do you watch MSNBC r21? There's Lawrence O'Donnell, Chris Hayes, and Chris Matthews.

Chris Hayes is not gay. He's married with a child.

by Anonymousreply 2203/14/2013

Will no one think of the prisoners?

by Anonymousreply 2303/14/2013

I like Ari Melber, Joy Reid, Karen Finley and Ezra Klein much better than Chris Hayes, but none of them are very good as hosts. Being a commentator and being the host of a program are two entirely different disciplines.

by Anonymousreply 2403/14/2013

Ezra is B-O-R-I-N-G

Here's hoping Chris upgrades his wardrobe back to where it was was when he used to appear as a Nation editor. Since joining MSNBC, when he's appeared on (election related) panel discussions in a suit, he's dressed as though he were trying to win Drabbest TV Persona of the Year.

by Anonymousreply 2503/14/2013

Why is Shultz leaving? I know his wife was quite ill.

by Anonymousreply 2603/14/2013

I don't think it's a good idea to put Chris Hayes' show right before Rachel's. They are so similar intellectually and stylistically.

Ed was the bad cop to Rachel's good cop. Her style is more intellectual and conceptual. Ed's was a rally call to fire up the crowd... more suited for radio.

I'm curious to see if this will effect Rachel's ratings. CNN is revamping its lineup so the next few months is going to be a growing pain for CNN and MSNBC as they are both basically fighting for the same core audience: the ones who refuse to watch Fox.

by Anonymousreply 2703/14/2013

Where is Chris going to find enough disabled black lesbian professors to fill five nights a week?

by Anonymousreply 2803/14/2013

I knew it!

by Anonymousreply 2903/14/2013

As long as that fat jackass Ed Schultz is OFF weeknights, I'm happy. Why they gave him the prime 8PM spot at all is hard to believe. I'll be happier still when they move Al Sharpton to 3:00AM.

by Anonymousreply 3003/14/2013

My Ari should have had that slot!

by Anonymousreply 3103/14/2013

[quote] I don't think it's a good idea to put Chris Hayes' show right before Rachel's.

I agree. I understand that Ed doesn't quite fit with the MSNBC "brand" and the rest of the network's lineup. But Hayes is so similar in style to Rachel that I can't imagine watching two hours of Chris and Rachel back to back every night. Viewers will end up choosing to watch one or the other. Most of them will choose Rachel over Chris, and MSNBC's ratings at 8 pm will fall. Rachel's numbers eventually will fall, too, because of Chris being a weak lead-in. Chris is smart, but he doesn't have the personality to lead off a network's prime-time lineup.

by Anonymousreply 3203/14/2013

[quote]I don't think it's a good idea to put Chris Hayes' show right before Rachel's. They are so similar intellectually and stylistically.

I also agree. I love Chris Hayes and thinks he goes a great job but him and Rachel are rather similar. That is a rather iffy move by having them back to back. But I get why they did, they would have to restructure their whole lineup to avoid that.

by Anonymousreply 3303/14/2013

[quote] Where is Chris going to find enough disabled black lesbian professors to fill five nights a week?

LOL!

by Anonymousreply 3403/14/2013

[all posts by ham-fisted troll a removed.]

by Anonymousreply 3503/14/2013

Yes, I can totally see Ann Coulter was one of the cool kids

by Anonymousreply 3603/14/2013

Why are people still calling it "MSNBC"? It hasn't been that for a long time now...

It's NBCNews

by Anonymousreply 3703/14/2013

R22, I think the poster meant that Chris Hayes looks like a lesbian, not that he is gay. I can see the resemblence.

by Anonymousreply 3803/14/2013

[quote] Why are people still calling it "MSNBC"? It hasn't been that for a long time now...

You do realize, I hope, that we're talking about the TV network and not the website. The network is still MSNBC.

by Anonymousreply 3903/14/2013

R13? Actually no, from mediaite:

In that same time period, CNN grew its black audience by 23.7%(from 131,000 in 2011 to 162,000 in 2012, 23.9% of their total audience) , while Fox News’ declined by 23.7% (38,000 in 2011 to 29,000 in 2012, 1.4% of their total audience), but MSNBC had more black viewers than both of those nets combined (from 177,000 in 2011 to 284,000 in 2012, 31.4% of their total audience). What’s more impressive is that MSNBC attained 60% growth after being number one in that demographic last year, and the year before.

by Anonymousreply 4003/14/2013

"But Hayes is so similar in style to Rachel that I can't imagine watching two hours of Chris and Rachel back to back every night."

Exactly.

by Anonymousreply 4103/14/2013

[quote]Where is Chris going to find enough disabled black lesbian professors to fill five nights a week?

Perhaps he could have Rachel put up a casting call in the Womyn of Color DART tent at Michfest.

by Anonymousreply 4203/14/2013

Up Chris Hayes every night!

I would enjoy that!

by Anonymousreply 4303/14/2013

Interesting that Fox News' audience isn't even 2% black.

by Anonymousreply 4403/14/2013

Joy Reid is AWESOME!

by Anonymousreply 4503/14/2013

Is there animosity between Lawrence O'Donnell and Rachel Maddow? I've always found it strange that Ed pitches to Rachel at 9pm, just like she used to pitch to him at 10 pm (when Olbermann left and Ed got moved). But Rachel doesn't pitch to Lawrence...it just goes straight to The Last Word.

by Anonymousreply 4603/14/2013

That's because Lawrence doesn't tape live r46.

by Anonymousreply 4703/14/2013

I like Chris but I think it's a terrible decision. They need someone with alot of personality. Viewers will not be drawn in by Chris.

by Anonymousreply 4803/14/2013

[quote] That's because Lawrence doesn't tape live

You mean it doesn't air live?

by Anonymousreply 4903/14/2013

Thank you r40. I knew that was the case but was too lazy to look up the source. It was January when MSNBC touted that they had the largest AA viewers.

by Anonymousreply 5003/14/2013

yes

by Anonymousreply 5103/14/2013

[quote] Lawrence doesn't tape live

Are you sure about that? He often mentions breaking news or refers to something that just aired on Fox News. (Maybe the intro is taped?) I thought all the prime-time shows were live.

by Anonymousreply 5203/14/2013

The wiki page says it airs live. I guess I'm wrong. His show always seem so canned. I only watch Rachel's show though. Not interested in Ed, Lawrence or Chris.

by Anonymousreply 5303/14/2013

[quote] I only watch Rachel's show though.

I burned out on her a while ago. Her opening monologue sometimes goes on and on and on and takes a circuitous route just to get to her point. It's almost like they don't have enough to fill the hour so she has to eat up a lot of airtime.

by Anonymousreply 5403/14/2013

r54 don't care if you watch her or not. Don't care if you don't understand the purpose of her extensive background analogy. She is what she is.

by Anonymousreply 5503/14/2013

[quote] Her opening monologue sometimes goes on and on and on and takes a circuitous route just to get to her point. It's almost like they don't have enough to fill the hour so she has to eat up a lot of airtime.

Yes! I've noticed that too, and wondered whether they're just stretching to fill the hour. Her opening segments can be interesting, but they need tighter writing and editing. She has the annoying habit of showing a clip of someone speaking and then repeating everything the person said as soon as the clip is over (often while looking down at her notes and underlining things).

by Anonymousreply 5603/14/2013

Liberals are freaking out about this. They don't believe that Hayes fights for the middle class.

by Anonymousreply 5703/14/2013

The long opening monolog that covers lots of topics before getting to the point she is making has always been her style. I enjoy them and usually learn something from them or am reminded of something I forgot.

by Anonymousreply 5803/14/2013

Exactly r58. I've been following her career since 2004 when she was on Air America and that's just how she does things. Even when she was limited to radio, she tried to present a point of view in a larger context. As political junkies, many of us are myopic in that we think a certain action is the worst or the best. She's basically saying "it's happened before and it'll happen again, so look at it in this context. History is our guide.

Remember Obama's first debate which was unanimously deemed a disaster? Some supporters had to be talked down from the ledge. Rachel had this long segment on how history favors the challengers in the first debate. It was a very fun and informative segment.

by Anonymousreply 5903/14/2013

Chris Hayes and Steve Kornacki are never satisfied with anything the Democrats do. They're both such Debbie Downers. I like commentators like Joy Reid, Ari Melber and Karen Finney who stay positive.

by Anonymousreply 6003/14/2013

God, I want to eat out Steve Kornacki's ass so bad...

(...)

In other news, can Steve be moved to another show at night? Maybe a show with Joy Reid or Ari Melber?

by Anonymousreply 6103/14/2013

Ari works my nerve. Why is that...

by Anonymousreply 6203/14/2013

You know who's a really bad host? Thomas Roberts. He's dull as dishwater.

by Anonymousreply 6303/14/2013

By the way, I love how we're all amateur MSNBC programming directors. That would make a fun Sim-style game.

by Anonymousreply 6403/14/2013

I'm just happy to see someone in this day and age make it with a BA in Philosophy.

by Anonymousreply 6503/14/2013

r20 I am not. I was explaining to the other poster that having a white wealthy demo and a black demo is not mutually exclusive.

by Anonymousreply 6603/14/2013

Love, love, love Chris Hayes.

My favorite Brooklyn hipster.

by Anonymousreply 6703/14/2013

Steve doesn't do that much for me R61, perhaps vaguely cute at most.

by Anonymousreply 6803/14/2013

A really good move would be to give Joy Reid a few years covering Congress or The White House to acquire some seasoning and eventually let her moderate Meet The Press. David Gregory is a dead loss from the word go.

by Anonymousreply 6903/14/2013

So, why is Ed getting replaced?

by Anonymousreply 7003/15/2013

Steve is another one whose glasses are too small for his face.

by Anonymousreply 7103/15/2013

Are those pastries on the table fake?

by Anonymousreply 7203/15/2013

Those pastries are NOT fake. A few weeks ago once of the panelists, I forget who, some guy with a beard, was eating and licking his fingers on camera. He obviously had no shame! First time I've ever seen that.

by Anonymousreply 7303/15/2013

Especially vertically, R71. Every time he's on, all I can pay attention to is the line the bottom of the frame reflects onto his face.

How can no one have told him about this? Or does he get paid so little, he wants to wait until his next insurance cycle? You'd think MSNBC would want him to look as good as he can.

Maybe they'll read this.

by Anonymousreply 7403/15/2013

Steve looks like a middle aged lesbian.

by Anonymousreply 7503/15/2013

Yes, yes he does.

by Anonymousreply 7603/15/2013

I will miss Chris on Sat and Sun...great way to ease into the weekend morning. As far as replacements go they do have to be very careful. There is a definite buzz about Up and it would be a shame to squander it. They do have a fairly large farm team but they also need someone who can conduct the band. Chris is pretty damn good at keeping things moving right along. Otherwise it just turns into a screamfest where nothing is resolved and nothing is heard.

by Anonymousreply 7703/18/2013

What R 4 said,,,

by Anonymousreply 7803/18/2013

MSNBC has given UP to Steve Karnacki...looks like Ezra Klein is officially over.

by Anonymousreply 7903/19/2013

Chris Hayes Says New MSNBC Show Will Continue Labor Coverage In Ed Schultz's Tradition

WASHINGTON -- Plenty of labor activists were dismayed by the announcement this week that primetime MSNBC host Ed Schultz was destined for a less desirable weekend slot. After all, Schultz has been a strong ally of the labor movement, using his show to highlight issues facing working-class people, and union members in particular, far more than your average cable news program.

On Thursday, the Progressive Change Campaign Committee created an online thank-you card to Schultz that, as of Friday afternoon, had gathered more than 47,000 signatures: "When unions were attacked in Wisconsin and Ohio, Ed was there. When Whirlpool fired workers in Iowa, Ed was there. When Bain Capital was moving jobs overseas from Illinois, Ed was there."

Similarly, an activist launched a petition on the website for progressive Credo Action to "keep Ed Schultz in a prime weekday T.V. time slot," calling the host "one of few in the media who supports working class people." And Leo Gerard, head of the United Steelworkers union, told The Washington Post's Erik Wemple that the Schultz move was a "big loss" for working people.

But if Schultz fans think working-class issues will disappear from the 8:00 p.m. time slot, at least one credible MSNBC source says they shouldn't fret: Schultz' replacement. Chris Hayes, who will be making the switch from his weekend morning show "Up With Chris Hayes," told HuffPost that he's committed to covering the same labor issues that Schultz did.

"I totally hear where they're coming from," Hayes said in an email. "What Ed did on his show, in putting the issues facing working people front and center night in and night out was genuinely revolutionary in the medium. He also put voices of working people -- from organized labor and unorganized labor -- on his show in a way no one has before.

"We're absolutely committed to doing the same," he said.

Indeed, Hayes has already amassed a track record of tackling complicated labor issues through thoughtful roundtable discussions. A recent "Up" episode, for example, took a close look at jobs in the booming restaurant industry, where the "tipped" minimum wage hasn't been raised in two decades and many workers struggle to make ends meet.

In an episode that aired back in November, when strikes at Walmart stores become a hot news topic ahead of Black Friday, Hayes gave airtime not only to a store employee but to a warehouse worker who toils at the bottom of the megaretailer's contract supply chain.

"I think you'll see if you look at UP, we've focused a lot on labor (and the forces trying to keep labor down) and have featured everything from Wal Mart workers, to on-the-ground organizers, to union presidents to restaurant workers sitting at the table sharing their experience and expertise," Hayes said.

Of course, one thing that will inevitably change with his new show is the format. In his primetime, condensed time slot, Hayes won't have as much room to facilitate the sort of in-depth discussions featured on his two-hour morning program. He'll be far more hemmed in by the news of the day and breaking stories, as well. But whatever shape the program takes, Hayes assures it will include the voices of everyday workers.

"I got my start in lefty journalism as a labor reporter at In These Times, and it's in my blood," he said.

by Anonymousreply 8003/20/2013
Need more help? Click Here.