Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

'God Particle' CONFIRMED

GENEVA -- The search is all but over for a subatomic particle that is a crucial building block of the universe.

Physicists announced Thursday they believe they have discovered the subatomic particle predicted nearly a half-century ago, which will go a long way toward explaining what gives electrons and all matter in the universe size and shape.

The elusive particle, called a Higgs boson, was predicted in 1964 to help fill in our understanding of the creation of the universe, which many theorize occurred in a massive explosion known as the Big Bang. The particle was named for Peter Higgs, one of the physicists who proposed its existence, but it later became popularly known as the "God particle."

The discovery would be a strong contender for the Nobel Prize. Last July, scientists at the European Organization for Nuclear Research, or CERN, announced finding a particle they described as Higgs-like, but they stopped short of saying conclusively that it was the same particle or was some version of it.

Scientists have now finished going through the entire set of data.

"The preliminary results with the full 2012 data set are magnificent and to me it is clear that we are dealing with a Higgs boson, though we still have a long way to go to know what kind of Higgs boson it is," said Joe Incandela, a physicist who heads one of the two main teams at CERN, each involving several thousand scientists.

Whether or not it is a Higgs boson is demonstrated by how it interacts with other particles and its quantum properties, CERN said in the statement. After checking, scientists said the data "strongly indicates that it is a Higgs boson."

The results were announced in a statement by the Geneva-based CERN and released at a physics conference in the Italian Alps.

CERN's atom smasher, the $10 billion Large Hadron Collider that lies beneath the Swiss-French border, has been creating high-energy collisions of protons to investigate how the universe came to be the way it is.

The particle's existence helps confirm the theory that objects gain their size and shape when particles interact in an energy field with a key particle, the Higgs boson. The more they attract, so the theory goes, the bigger their mass will be.

by Anonymousreply 7603/18/2013

Well, it's started...

@ablissfulartist Sanghmitra Hitaishi

Also, does the discovery of the so called God Particle imply that Atheists are Wrong. What do they have to say? I m still Agnostic though.

by Anonymousreply 103/14/2013

Wouldn't it be the opposite?

by Anonymousreply 203/14/2013

Just because it was named "god" particle doesn't mean there's a god, doofus.

by Anonymousreply 303/14/2013

If anything, this discovery is another argument against creationism. If one is able to generate the basic building block of the universe in a collider, then there is no need for any kind of "divine intervention".

by Anonymousreply 403/14/2013

exactly. So I remain puzzled by r1.

by Anonymousreply 503/14/2013

That name is so wrong.

It's SCIENCE.

Keep your "GOD" shit out of it for fuck's sake.

by Anonymousreply 603/14/2013

Christianity has a long long long history of turning any alternate story into some validation of their own philosophy.

Pagan winter solstice? Oh, we just call it Christmas!

The earth isn't the center of the Universe? Oh, well that's because God is the LIGHT!

You can call it subatomic anything but we call it a GOD Particle! You can't win!

by Anonymousreply 703/14/2013

oh yes we can.

by Anonymousreply 803/14/2013

No. r6 may have worded it a little harshly, but r6 is right. (I don't care as much that they chose that name, but get his/her point.)

by Anonymousreply 1003/14/2013

It is kinda weird because it means the exact opposite.

by Anonymousreply 1103/14/2013

Right, r9. Go read the tweets from fundies who claim this 'confirms' the presence of God and then tell me I'm "paranoid". Because some idiot gave it a religious name, People really believe this validates their faith.

Others are irritated that Science is trying to "compete" with news about the new Pope. Which leads to this funny retort,

[quote]Noah Smith @smithnoah March, 2013. SCIENCE: We found the Higgs-Boson! RELIGION: We found another old Catholic guy who hates gay people!

by Anonymousreply 1203/14/2013

Exactly, R6, this proves there is no god, and there never was.

by Anonymousreply 1303/14/2013

Get out there and blow it up R12, if you feel that strongly about it.

I felt like I had a part-time job on Twitter during the election.

by Anonymousreply 1403/14/2013

...so back to r1. Stupid, or just a bad writer?

by Anonymousreply 1503/14/2013

r14, why are you dogging r12? He/she made a perfectly good point, with no hysteria or rage.

by Anonymousreply 1603/14/2013

r1 is just quoting a tweet from some fundie. Look at the Huffpo story and they have a screen of the "latest" tweets about it.

If I didn't know this is how those fundies think, I'd swear someone is trolling.

by Anonymousreply 1703/14/2013

How am I dogging him, R16? I agree with him.

I told him to go to work on Twitter, as I have done. I am also the poster at R11. And no other.

by Anonymousreply 1803/14/2013

These idiots just did decades of damage by calling it 'god'. Now, this is going to be another situation where everyone doesn't understand what a 'theory' means to science. I hope they're happy. They named it the 'god particle' for publicity.

by Anonymousreply 2003/14/2013

My penis has tons of atoms in it.

by Anonymousreply 2103/14/2013

It's called the "Higgs Boson," but these morons chose to instead do another century's worth of damage. The fundies in America will now successfully push their Intelligent Design bullshit successfully. Way to go!

by Anonymousreply 2203/14/2013

I can already see Republicans on the House floor bringing this up.

by Anonymousreply 2403/14/2013

And religion can't explain what created their various contradictory gods.

by Anonymousreply 2503/14/2013

my bad r14, i misread your post.

by Anonymousreply 2603/14/2013

"It may be the universe we live in is inherently unstable, and at some point billions of years from now it's all going to get wiped out," added Lykken, a collaborator on the CMS experiment.

by Anonymousreply 2703/15/2013

And, scene.

by Anonymousreply 2803/15/2013

So where did the very first particle come from?

by Anonymousreply 2903/15/2013

Which came first, chicken or egg, r29?

by Anonymousreply 3003/15/2013

Yeah, like 'God' is the answer, R23.

by Anonymousreply 3103/15/2013

by Anonymousreply 3203/15/2013

Now that they've found it, what are they going to do with it?

by Anonymousreply 3303/15/2013

Charge admission to see it!

I have an authentic particle here too, 5$ you see my dog dander.

by Anonymousreply 3403/15/2013

[quote]Which came first, chicken or egg, [R29]?

Chicken.

by Anonymousreply 3503/15/2013

"God particle" is over-hyping the Higgs.

What doesn't the Higgs tell us?

It doesn't explain how gravity works.

It doesn't really tell us much about how the strong force relates to the electroweak force — the combination of electromagnetism and the weak force for which the Higgs is so useful.

It doesn't tell us what dark matter is — roughly 23% of the energy of the universe.

It doesn't tell us what dark energy is — another 72% of the universe.

It doesn't tell us why the electric charge is what it is, or an electron mass is what it is, or really, much at all about a huge number of physical constant.

It doesn't explain why we have certain symmetries in our universe and not others.

Moreover, it's not the only thing that can make mass. Even if the mass of the quarks comes from the Higgs somehow we don't know exactly how it relates to other particles besides the W's and Z.

by Anonymousreply 3603/15/2013

r36 what are you implying?

by Anonymousreply 3703/15/2013

[quote]Now that they've found it, what are they going to do with it?

Give it to Liza?

by Anonymousreply 3803/15/2013

I think R36 is saying that there is a lot more left for science to explain. Frankly, science will probably never completely solve everything at any one given time... It is, however, the only tool we seem to have to understand the origins of any new phenomena or objects we uncover.

by Anonymousreply 3903/15/2013

That this particle does not answer everything...not even close, therefore it's NOT a "God Particle".

Ntm, that supposedly recreating the conditions that existed a fraction of a second after the "Big Bang" still doesn't explain what was before the "Big Bang", if the "Big Bang" is even a credible explanation for anything.

The Big Bang model has too many problems with it but most scientists go along with it if it pays the bills for research and funding or for philosophical reasons.

The big bang today relies on a growing number of hypothetical entities, things that we have never observed-- inflation, dark matter and dark energy are the most prominent examples.

Without them, there would be a fatal contradiction between the observations made by astronomers and the predictions of the big bang theory. In no other field of physics would this continual recourse to new hypothetical objects be accepted as a way of bridging the gap between theory and observation. It would, at the least, raise serious questions about the validity of the underlying theory.

by Anonymousreply 4003/15/2013

What are the hypotheses for the remaining questions in R36's post?

An infinite multiverse would explain away the origins of gravity, our particular symmetry, and our electric charge. The existence of an infinite multiverse would be exceptionally hard to prove, though... The WMAP Cold Spot might be the best place to start looking. It is believed by some cosmologists and physicists to be an area which represents the closest possible quantum connection to another universe.

What about dark matter and dark energy, though? Are we any closer to understanding their provenance?

by Anonymousreply 4103/15/2013

[quote] What about dark matter and dark energy, though? Are we any closer to understanding their provenance?

Yes. Dick Cheney.

by Anonymousreply 4203/15/2013

Up your medication, R43. You'll feel better.

by Anonymousreply 4403/15/2013

Prove the existence of God, please, R43. When I drop an apple, I can witness the effects of gravity. Provide a link to the last manifestation of God.

by Anonymousreply 4503/15/2013

"There are three states of matter: solid, liquid, and gas."

Not quite.

Please get help, R43/R46. You sound as if you're in the throes of a nervous breakdown.

by Anonymousreply 4803/15/2013

Witnessing mental illness firsthand is always exciting and scary at the some time.

by Anonymousreply 4903/15/2013

*same* time.

by Anonymousreply 5003/15/2013

I think CocaCola has the patent for God Particles in a bottle.

by Anonymousreply 5103/15/2013

damn

by Anonymousreply 5203/15/2013

Gravity is unexplainable as a force with a source. Where can you see the source of gravity?

Where is the "intelligence" behind gravity? How does it know to exert a downward force of 20 pounds on a chair as opposed to a downward force of an ounce on a pencil? How do we overcome gravity so easily? It's force can be pretty strong, yet, overcome so easily.

by Anonymousreply 5303/15/2013

No, it's called knowing bullshit when one sees it.

by Anonymousreply 5503/15/2013

If people in the space station experience bone loss from weighlessness, won't astronauts on the first mission to Mars suffer spinal compression and other horrors?

by Anonymousreply 5603/15/2013

As an abusive ad hominem, might you like to get together for some pleasurable abuse?

I don't think we need to know where gravity comes from, but more importantly, where is it going? I make elastic waist bans and this can bankrupt me.

by Anonymousreply 5703/15/2013

Kick R54 out of a ten-story building. He'll really observe the power of gravity.

by Anonymousreply 5803/15/2013

Why do you think gravity needs an 'intelligence'? Bizarre.

by Anonymousreply 5903/15/2013

R43, 44, 47, your descriptions are poorly reasoned, poorly informed, and mostly trivial.

by Anonymousreply 6003/15/2013

I hope all of you abusive ad hominists are getting paid a decent wage for your effort. If not, here's a tip, ad hominem is very transparent, try another form of "argument" based on fallacy. Perhaps, Reductio Ad Absurdum or Fallacy Of The Crucial Experiment.

by Anonymousreply 6103/15/2013

In a nutshell, I believe that the Big Bang theory does not propose how the universe began. Rather, it relates to the observed expansion of the universe. The fact that the universe is expanding is not in dispute.

by Anonymousreply 6203/15/2013

So many theories. So little time to dismiss and mock them.

by Anonymousreply 6303/15/2013

Go more into the 'Holy Trinity' argument, R61. We like that one the most.

by Anonymousreply 6403/15/2013

"Think of your own personal construct: body, mind, and spirit."

Prove the existence of a 'spirit'.

by Anonymousreply 6503/15/2013

Uh... 1,600 trillion collisions being created in the tunnel since 2009???

Let's see now that's 1600 trillion collisions achieved in thirty months, is it just me or does anyone else here have a problem with how that stacks up??

The numbers will never "stack-up" even if you extrapolate out to quadrillions of experiments.

The problem with funding all of this Einsteinian Physics is that it is all a ruse.... it's all a function of the Oxford Template of Learning.... it's all just 'theory', and speculation.

Funding these types of experiments and feeding these well paid physicists is just another function of keeping the masses in a position of financial servitude.

by Anonymousreply 6603/15/2013

[quote]Funding these types of experiments and feeding these well paid physicists is just another function of keeping the masses in a position of financial servitude.

What an idiot.

by Anonymousreply 6703/15/2013

Oh, and here's another thing. The HB particle began as the "goddamned particle" until the fucking media renamed it the, "God particle". Goddamned, because it frustrated the physicists who were trying to figure out the missing link.

by Anonymousreply 6803/15/2013

I thought Krona created a machine that allowed him to see into the moment of creation? We all know how well that all turned out.

by Anonymousreply 6903/15/2013

I heard the particle possesses hands and feet that have been punctured.

by Anonymousreply 7003/18/2013

I remember how excited everyone in science community was with the discovery of the Emperor particle. These particles have all lived before.

by Anonymousreply 7103/18/2013

indeed

by Anonymousreply 7203/18/2013

But what does Sheldon Cooper think of this discovery?

by Anonymousreply 7303/18/2013

If science would put as much effort into finding The Goddamn Fucking Particle, then we would have something worthwhile. The GFP shouldn't be that hard to find.

by Anonymousreply 7403/18/2013

OP: Shouldn't it be said the Higgs boson has been verified? Isn't the Goddamned Particle the same as the God Particle as in, God and Goddamned are adjectives regarding the Higgs boson particle. (I am asking seriously, I am an engineer and understand the science, but couldn't do the writing :( )

by Anonymousreply 7503/18/2013

Confirmed for summer or holiday season? Who`s directing it?

by Anonymousreply 7603/18/2013
Need more help? Click Here.