Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

The Castro is gettting unsafe! iPhone 5 STOLEN!!!

Around 9PM, Dalton Huckaby, popular personal trainer and 2013 Bare Chest Calendar model, was on his way home from work walking down 17th Street near Noe St speaking to a friend on his iPhone 5 when it was cruelly torn from his hand by a thief who ran off with the phone at a break neck pace.

The criminal who snagged the phone used his running start and sneak attack to prevent Mr. Huckaby from being able to describe him beyond generalities.

Mr. Huckaby isn’t what you’d imagine most criminals would point to as an ‘easy target’. Well built and confident in his movements he immediately reacted and started to chase after the mugger.

Before he’d taken a few steps however he found himself attacked by a second, unseen assailant from behind, who blindsided and knocked him forcefully to the ground . Mr Huckaby slammed the pavement hard suffering bad scrapes and bruises to his face and hand. He lay stunned and disoriented from the surprise cold-cocking.

By the time he regained his composure the second culprit was hovering nearby under a tree obscuring a clear shot of his face from Dalton’s view. He was gripping something in his hand. Mr. Huckaby believed there was a decent chance it was a gun or other weapon.

Smartly choosing not to confront a thief who might be armed, and fearing for his life, Mr. Huckaby withdrew while his cowardly batterer faded into the night.

The City-to it’s credit-has taken notice and initiated steps to combat the surge in crime.

The simple idea: Give everyone a whistle. If you get attacked blow it loud and continuously as you try to get away. If you saw someone being attacked, blow it. Hear the sound of a whistle blow? Blow yours and run to their aid not away from it. The whistles create a cacophony of noise as each person who hears the shrill tweet adds their whistle’s voice alerting everyone and anyone there is a problem. Simple, creative, genius.

Sent from my iPhone 5

by Anonymousreply 4403/16/2013

This reads like bad PR for some would-be tough guy who got his ass handed to him on a plate. He got robbed. That sucks but it happens. But there seems to be an overemphasis on making clear who special this dude is. Get over yourself.

by Anonymousreply 103/14/2013

Oh my MARY!

by Anonymousreply 203/14/2013

lol

by Anonymousreply 303/14/2013

Technology kills.

by Anonymousreply 403/14/2013

People who feel that they just have to walk and text or talk on the phone wherever they are -- on stairs, in the middle of a crosswalk or everywhere every minute of every day -- are perfect targets for this kind of thing.

Yes, in a just world, you shouldn't be mugged. And yes, the point of a mobile phone is that you can use it on the go. But if you're stupid enough to take out your wallet and go through your money on the street, you might get that snatched out of your hand as well.

You can be smart about it, use your phone in a private place unless it's necessary, and keep your eyes open if you're using your precious toy in public.

Let the catty backlash ensue ...

by Anonymousreply 503/14/2013

MARY!!

by Anonymousreply 603/14/2013

He had to let everyone know he has an iPhone 5.

by Anonymousreply 703/14/2013

I wish this on all people who are walking on busy public sidewalks, texting and not looking up. Then expect people to move out of thier way.

I text all the time when I'm stationary, on the subway etc.. at least when you're talking on the phone you can see in front of you.

by Anonymousreply 803/14/2013

San Francisco is in very, very bad shape. I have heard a lot of people have got attacked by some of the myriads of homeless people who occupy the streets. San Francisco use to be a fantastic place ,and it's still very beautiful ,but the homeless people that sleep on the streets is unbearable. They piss on the street, crap, etc. and the smell is insipid all over the city. I was born and raised in the out skirts of San Francisco which is the Bay Area. Me and my famliy will not go into the city anymore. It used to be fun to go to the city once in a while ,but that is now long gone. However, conveniences like, shopping, museums, etc. are fantastic in numerous places outside of San Francisco so we are not isolated from those usual options that a city offers.But, without a doubt, nothing can't comprehend to the museums in San Francisco like the De Young, Legion of Honor, museum of Modern Art, the Asian Arts museum, etc.

BTW, right! use a whistle and watch what happens.A door is wide open for the criminal to blow your face off to shut you up permanently. What world are these lunatic city officials living in? The San Francisco city officials are completely nuts! They ruined San Francisco ,which was once a fantastic place to visit and walk around ,but now it's a city with a strong repugnant piss odor all over the place, and the crime is much higher. Its a complete mess with lunatics who turn the other way ,and act like there is no problem with in the city limits to deal with.

by Anonymousreply 903/14/2013

[quote]He lay stunned and disoriented from the surprise cold-cocking.

That's hot.

by Anonymousreply 1003/14/2013

[quote]. They piss on the street, crap, etc. and the smell is insipid all over the city.

Oh, dear.

by Anonymousreply 1103/14/2013

Only time I was mugged was in the same area. 18th Street and Guerrero (Lived in NYC, LA, and SF). It was 1:30 in the am. Two cars pulled up, about 8 guys got out (Black, Hispanic, Asian) and beat the crap out of my friend and me. I remember thinking, "so this is what it feels like to be mugged." The blows to the head and face didn't knock me out. I just remember thinking, "there's the sidewalk, there's the sky, there's the street," while I was a human punching bag. They wanted my leather jacket and actually chased me up Guerrero (uphill) to my apt. I got away. The police asked me for a description of the car. I said it was a "Capri." I then heard the cop put out a bulletin for a "Caprice." I knew nothing would happen then.

by Anonymousreply 1203/14/2013

lots of stupid people on this thread

by Anonymousreply 1303/14/2013

The Castro hasn't been "safe" any time in the last forty years.

by Anonymousreply 1403/14/2013

[quote]They piss on the street, crap, etc. and the smell is insipid all over the city.

If it's "insipid," what's the problem?

by Anonymousreply 1503/14/2013

This is the way they operate in Brazil. If you're held up by a gunman in Rio, when he takes off and you run after him, you'll be shot from behind.

by Anonymousreply 1603/14/2013

Sounds hit r12.

by Anonymousreply 1703/14/2013

I don't think that word means what you think it means, R15.

by Anonymousreply 1803/14/2013

Usually it means flavorless, characterless, R18. I figured the poster was going for the "smell" version instead of the "taste" version, which would mean having little smell.

What do *you* think he means when he refers to the piss smell as "insipid"?

by Anonymousreply 1903/14/2013

I don't know what he means-but no one refers to smells as insipid.

by Anonymousreply 2003/14/2013

I'm not 15 but I thought that word only applied to taste.

by Anonymousreply 2103/14/2013

But, without a doubt, nothing can't comprehend to the museums in San Francisco like the De Young, Legion of Honor, museum of Modern Art, the Asian Arts museum, etc.

I'm thinking this might be a troll.

by Anonymousreply 2203/14/2013

Yet here it is R20/R18, R21:

[quote]They piss on the street, crap, etc. and the smell is insipid all over the city.

I guess we'll have to wait for R9 to come back and tell us what he meant.

by Anonymousreply 2303/14/2013

[quote] a lot of people have got attacked

[quote] the homeless people that sleep on the streets is unbearable

[quote] Me and my family will not go in the city anymore

[quote] The smell is insipid all over the city

[quote] But, without a doubt, nothing can't comprehend to the museums of San Francisco

Oh dear, dear, dear, dear, dear

by Anonymousreply 2403/14/2013

R7

Not anymore.

by Anonymousreply 2503/14/2013

r24 is so tedious.

by Anonymousreply 2603/14/2013

MMMMM....."cold-cocking" Sounds hot.

by Anonymousreply 2703/14/2013

Me and my fambly uze ta go to da City....

by Anonymousreply 2803/14/2013

Cold cocking = no lube.

Surprise anal = no time for lube.

by Anonymousreply 2903/14/2013

This thread does not exist.

by Anonymousreply 3003/14/2013

[quote] crap, etc. and the smell is insipid all over the city.

these saccharine posters on the Dl are just So Sweet

by Anonymousreply 3203/14/2013

The negro man?

by Anonymousreply 3303/14/2013

There is another important lesson here which some seem to have missed: never skimp on the cardio.

by Anonymousreply 3403/14/2013

I lived in SF for 4 years in the 70's and 20 years from 88-2008, so feel qualified to talk (yes, I'm oldish.) I was lucky myself, but I used to read about horrible crimes from time. The actor/comedian (not that famous, certainly not these days) Larry Miller was mugged and beaten afte performing around FIsherman's Wharf, at a touristy place. But back in the day (might still be?) VERY near a housing project. Sorry if that sounds "prejudiced". I lived near other housing projects and there was one day where 2 guys were killed in broad daylight. It is what it is.

The homeless population is disgusting for many reasons (the useless police force is MORE disgusting) but I don't know if they're responsible for the "heavier" if you will, crime. THere are black, Spanish and Asian gangs. I have heard of crime among the latter even in "safer" parts of town like the Richmond.

THe crime sort of sneaks up on you; the city SEEMS so pretty and safe - but as with any city, one has to watch it.

I lived in NYC in the 80s for 7 years and felt - FELT - much less safe there. Again, I was lucky nothing happened (my BF had his car broken into and expensive Xmas presents from Saks taken while we were at Bway play; I felt really bad about that.)

I was in a Wendys that had a salad bar - Madison and 43rd - and felt sorry for a nice touristy type, 30, with her nice hubby - she left her purse at her table; went to the salad bar. I didn't see anything/anybody, but by the time (7 minutes maybe?) she came back to her table, somebody had stole her purse. (I of course had mine with me.)

A homeless, probably on crazy/on drugs, DID threaten me with an umbrella in SF once. I was 23, scared; it was a rainy Sat a.m., right downtown - I tried to talk calmly with her and got out of there fast.

I remember in late 70's, a nice (I read) teacher - private school? was stabbed to death waiting, with friends, in line for a midnight showing of "Rocky Horror"; supposedly a homeless type thought the guy was laughing at him.

(Okay, homeless CAN be bad news, agree.)

I remember a cabdriver tell me and my aunt, visiting from Napa, that "oh, yeah, tourists get robbed/assaulted all the time on FIshermans Wharf if they stray too close to the project." Again, discriminatory as that sounds, the guy lives/works there and knows.

Back to the instant story (sorry to ramble!), young kids, for example, have been getting their Ipods stolen in NYC if they're dense enough to display them. Or anyway. Predators everywhere. Agree with the poster(s) who sensibly point out: if people are going to be on their fucking IPhones every goddamn minute, in every public setting:

SOmeone might just take it.

Hope this guy is a little smarter in the future; glad nothing WORSE happened to him.

by Anonymousreply 3503/14/2013

R35 [quote]my BF had his car broken into and expensive Xmas presents from Saks taken while we were at Bway play;

He left presents in the backseat of his car in NY? I'm not going to suggest that he *deserved* to have his stuff stolen, but that's pretty daring, leaving stuff in your car where people can see it.

by Anonymousreply 3603/14/2013

I'm not R35, but am a New Yorker. The mistake people make is opening their trunk and putting packages in, then leaving the car parked. Sometimes you don't even realize your stuff was taken until you get home and open the trunk.

by Anonymousreply 3703/14/2013

How do they steal stuff out of a trunk?

by Anonymousreply 3803/14/2013

What do people do with stolen cell phones? Doesn't the carrier lock down the ESN when you report it stolen?

by Anonymousreply 3903/14/2013

down 17th Street near Noe St speaking to a friend on his iPhone 5 when it was cruelly torn from his hand

Does cruelly really fit here?

by Anonymousreply 4003/14/2013

What "project" close to Fisherman's wharf?

by Anonymousreply 4103/15/2013

R40, how is it NOT cruel? If someone snatched a women's baby from her arms, would you say that's not cruel either?

by Anonymousreply 4203/16/2013

Wow. Am completely embarrassed by the stupidity on this thread posting as San Franciscans.

Are you guys for real? I'd mug you myself just to get you to leave town. "Oh, look at me, I'm a lipgloss and Prada Queen from Dallas living in San Francisco and holding a $500 dollar object to my face in the dark while being oblivious to all logic and reality. This city is so mean and everyone is homeless and smells like poo-poo".

Go back home to Mama's basement already. You are useless and unwelcome here.

by Anonymousreply 4303/16/2013

That poor dear!

by Anonymousreply 4403/16/2013
Need more help? Click Here.