Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

First Week Without A Cat, Now A Mouse

In two rooms of my house we have a drop ceiling. My cat was put to sleep a little over a week ago. 6 days after he was put down, now I have a mouse walking around overhead. I have never heard or seen a mouse for over a decade in my home, which was how long I had my cat for. The moment he's gone I get a rodent. Here's my question, do cats keep these critters away? This mouse is not running around on the floor. If I had a cat, it would not be able to see it. So do mice sense or smell a cat, and that keeps them away?

I just had an exterminator today put stuff in the ceiling. I just heard the mouse again. Hopefully, it explodes or whatever now. lol

I was so on edge the first time I heard it. I thought I was going crazy. It's really creepy hearing something running around over your head.

I live in a city, btw. I'm sure there's tons of rodents, but I never had one in my house before. It's too much of a coincide though that I get one the moment my cat is no longer around.

by Mouse Trapreply 2203/16/2013

It's a rat, not a mouse

by Mouse Trapreply 103/13/2013

Sorry for the loss of your cat. What 'stuff' did the exterminator put in the ceiling? Because the mouse/rat will die, then rot and smell not so terrific.

by Mouse Trapreply 203/13/2013

You have to get rid of that mouse now OP. IF it has babies up there you'r screwed.

by Mouse Trapreply 303/13/2013

OP, get a new cat. Problem solved.

by Mouse Trapreply 403/14/2013

Yes, OP. Rats and mice have evolved to scent out and avoid cats, their natural enemy.

I work with a group that, after the storm, assessed feral cat colonies in Greater NOLA established pre-Katrina. This group had gotten grief for years from citizens complaining about the cats, even poisoning some of them. Then, several Lower 9th Ward colonies were totally wiped out. In less than a month, the area was overrun by mice and rats. The remaining citizens begged my group to bring in some cats to establish a new colony.

by Mouse Trapreply 503/14/2013

You should find out what stuff the exterminator put in, and also whether there's some way the critter is getting into the house from outside, so you can patch it up.

When I was growing up we had a creature running around beneath the attic floorboards. It turned out to be a squirrel that had gotten in through a small hole near the top of the house.

But aside from that, I don't think you should be hearing the mouse if the exterminator put some poison in there. Maybe there's more than one, or maybe the stuff isn't working.

Sorry about your cat.

by Mouse Trapreply 603/14/2013

OP get a new cat right away. They "spray" the areas the live and roam in. This keeps the rodents away because they sense the danger. You will be cohabitating with more than the human kind if you don't get rid of thst rat asap.

by Mouse Trapreply 703/14/2013

You had me until "lol."

Sorry about the death of your cat, perhaps it's his ghost upstairs keeping watch over you.

Again, condolences.

by Mouse Trapreply 803/14/2013

If it's poison the mouse will rot but it only stinks, if it does at all for a day or two.

You do need to find the hole it came in or it'll just be an invitation to more.

If you were clean this wouldn't happen. Keep all food tightly sealed and in metal cabinets and in the refrigerator.

by Mouse Trapreply 903/14/2013

OP, are you sure it's a mouse?

by Mouse Trapreply 1003/14/2013

If you really saw one, it is very likely there are more than one out there...

by Mouse Trapreply 1103/14/2013

"Yes, OP. Rats and mice have evolved to scent out and avoid cats, their natural enemy"

Not true. I had a cat and mice came into the house. The cat did catch the mice and kill them but it didn't stop them from getting in in the first place.

by Mouse Trapreply 1203/15/2013

I haven't seen a mouse in 4 years- since adopting my first cat.

I wonder if any have been caught and consumed, unbeknownst to me?!

by Mouse Trapreply 1303/15/2013

Had a mouse one time that ambushed my housr. Figured out the bird seed I was feeding the birds that live in the bushes in my back yard was attracting them. Long story short my neighbors cats started to linger in my back yard as well. I'm guessing they smelled the mice. Haven't seen a mouse since then but I still see the cats. They come and visit us every now and then.

by Mouse Trapreply 1403/15/2013

I'm clean. The entire city has had problems with mice in recent years. In fact, I was on of the few houses on my block that didn't have a mouse. Why? Probably because I had a cat. Even my neighbor had them, and they were surprised that I hadn't seen or heard anything. I don't live on a trashy street either. This has been a problem for everyone. It's the city. What do you expect? There's also been a lot of construction. I haven't seen a bug for more than a year, and in the rare instance that I did spot one, it was one of those Thousand Leggers. I've never seen a roach in over 20 years. Bottom line, if we were dirty, we'd have bugs galore. This has to simply be a city thing, and my no longer having a cat in the house.

My cat was put to sleep, not this past Tuesday, the Tuesday the week before. That same week, I had a cleaning woman come, which would have been last Saturday. Sunday is when I heard the mouse. She does a really good job, and I'm sure since we got rid of all the cats things, and she scrubbed everything away, the scent was gone, and no creature felt threatened.

Tonight is the first night I haven't heard a peep. I'm hoping it's dead. The exterminator put poison up on Wednesday. It's Friday, and now nothing. I still heard them Wednesday night, and Thursday, last night. I do believe it was just one mouse who was going up and down inside the wall from the first to the second floor. This critter could be heard in only two rooms, and the wall is connected from the first to the second. That's why I think it was the same mouse heard at different times in either one of the locations at night. We never heard them in two rooms at the same time, and it only sounded like one. It is a really unnerving sound. It just grossed me out, and I'm the last Mary to ever Mary. That's just not my style. I just don't like things walking above my head. It's creepy.

I read that if you hear it at night, it's most likely a house mouse. If you hear it earlier in the day, it could be a squirrel.

We put up additional poison on our own last night. If it's dead, it was either from the exterminator's stuff, or the stuff we put up into the ceilings ourselves.

At any rate, I'm looking into getting a new cat. Someone said that there's no bodega in NYC that doesn't have a cat. They're hired as staff.

This is my first experience with mice at home that I didn't get from a pet store. I can't imagine how people put up with getting mice in their homes as routine.

by Mouse Trapreply 1503/16/2013

I'm clean. The entire city has had problems with mice in recent years. In fact, I was on of the few houses on my block that didn't have a mouse. Why? Probably because I had a cat. Even my neighbor had them, and they were surprised that I hadn't seen or heard anything. I don't live on a trashy street either. This has been a problem for everyone. It's the city. What do you expect? There's also been a lot of construction. I haven't seen a bug for more than a year, and in the rare instance that I did spot one, it was one of those Thousand Leggers. I've never seen a roach in over 20 years. Bottom line, if we were dirty, we'd have bugs galore. This has to simply be a city thing, and my no longer having a cat in the house.

My cat was put to sleep, not this past Tuesday, the Tuesday the week before. That same week, I had a cleaning woman come, which would have been last Saturday. Sunday is when I heard the mouse. She does a really good job, and I'm sure since we got rid of all the cats things, and she scrubbed everything away, the scent was gone, and no creature felt threatened.

Tonight is the first night I haven't heard a peep. I'm hoping it's dead. The exterminator put poison up on Wednesday. It's Friday, and now nothing. I still heard them Wednesday night, and Thursday, last night. I do believe it was just one mouse who was going up and down inside the wall from the first to the second floor. This critter could be heard in only two rooms, and the wall is connected from the first to the second. That's why I think it was the same mouse heard at different times in either one of the locations at night. We never heard them in two rooms at the same time, and it only sounded like one. It is a really unnerving sound. It just grossed me out, and I'm the last Mary to ever Mary. That's just not my style. I just don't like things walking above my head. It's creepy.

I read that if you hear it at night, it's most likely a house mouse. If you hear it earlier in the day, it could be a squirrel.

We put up additional poison on our own last night. If it's dead, it was either from the exterminator's stuff, or the stuff we put up into the ceilings ourselves.

At any rate, I'm looking into getting a new cat. Someone said that there's no bodega in NYC that doesn't have a cat. They're hired as staff.

This is my first experience with mice at home that I didn't get from a pet store. I can't imagine how people put up with getting mice in their homes as routine.

by Mouse Trapreply 1603/16/2013

OP, shut up and be a man. You put peanut butter on the big toe of one of your feet. You sit there until you feel a nibble. And then you stomp.

The warm furriness actually is kind of tickling, unless the bones break through the skin.

by Mouse Trapreply 1703/16/2013

OP, I'm warning you now so I won't have to warn you later. If were to I put one of my cats down, they'd call their cat cousins from cat Mafia heaven to take a hit out on me. Cats are not into forgiveness; they thrive on exacting revenge. Don't buy into their apparent sweetness for one second.

by Mouse Trapreply 1803/16/2013

I'm cautioning you as well, OP. If the sounds quit, and they're dead (d-con takes a few days to kill them,) the smell will be coming in about 3-4 days, then THE FLIES. You will want to move, burn down the house and move.

by Mouse Trapreply 1903/16/2013

My pet rat is pregnant at just six weeks old.

by Mouse Trapreply 2003/16/2013

Hahahaha @ r19!!!

This is the second night I haven't heard a peep. Bastard must be dead.

r18, is that the infamous 'Anonymous' Cat District?

by Mouse Trapreply 2103/16/2013

[quote]My pet rat is pregnant at just six weeks old.

You should have used a condom.

by Mouse Trapreply 2203/16/2013
Need more help? Click Here.