Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Gays and body image

I'm not sure this is allowed here but here goes. My sister-in-law teaches high school sociology and psychology and mentors her students in their research projects. Would anyone be kind to take an anonymous survey? It's about 10 questions or less, yes/no type answers, takes about 2 minutes to complete. Her project is on body image as it relates to the gay/les community, and speaking as a gay man I know it's a huge issue.

I think she did a very good job, I can't wait to see what she does with the data.

by Anonymousreply 2103/17/2013

I took the survey.

by Anonymousreply 103/13/2013

Did it. One confusing question about "how many hours you workout" - had to read it a few times to make sure it wasn't how long per workout.

by Anonymousreply 203/13/2013

If she's a teacher, she ought to edit her writing - or her student's writing - before posting it online.

1) Affect and effect are not interchangeable. 2) They can't know that this survey will increase tolerance. It's unlikely and sorely misworded. 3) S-I-G-N-I-N-G

by Anonymousreply 303/14/2013

Let us know how she uses it. A friend of mine is extremely handsome but thinks he's not muscular enough and spends hours at the gym.

Nothing will change his mind about how he looks. Sad waste of time.

by Anonymousreply 403/14/2013

[R3] If it's in vain, then give us a fucking break

by Anonymousreply 503/14/2013

Geezus, R3, go to the gym and work out some of that misguided judgment. It's just an online survey. By the way, you should have a period after "signing".

Good luck to your sister in law, OP.

by Anonymousreply 603/14/2013

Thanks everyone. I'm not sure how many participants are needed for modeling in this kind of study, but every bit helps. Thanks again.

by Anonymousreply 703/14/2013

I took the survey. I am gay and have major body image issues, or so I've been told. I lift weights 5-6x week and I feel I look scrawny and underdeveloped. I also feel I have an extreme baby face. I have very little self esteem and feel physically inadequate around other guys.

by Anonymousreply 803/14/2013

You don't sound inadequate at all, r8.

by Anonymousreply 903/14/2013

You sound cute to me, R8. Hot, even.

by Anonymousreply 1003/14/2013

Thanks r9. I can lift an enormous amount of weight, but when I look in the mirror and see the other guys (just regular guys, not bodybuilders) around me I feel I look underdeveloped. My basic body template looks underdeveloped, if that makes sense. I feel that I need to build as much muscle as possible just so that I can look average. I have major baby face too. I just feel inadequate in every way physically possible.

by Anonymousreply 1103/14/2013

Enjoy your babyface while you can, R8 R11. It will eventually go away.

by Anonymousreply 1203/14/2013

I'm 45, r12. I've been waiting 25 years for it to go away.

by Anonymousreply 1303/14/2013

As a teenager I had a negative image of myself because I was too skinny. Now I have a negative image because I see myself as flabby. I'm male, 5'11 and 160 lbs and had a 40 lb loss last year. I may even be underweight now, yet my 34" waist trousers feel tight and it looks like my "love handles" will never really go away. But is this just a gay thing? Is it because we are always on the lookout for potential partners?

by Anonymousreply 1403/14/2013

Very badly written and conceived.

Do you work out weekly?

I would say no as I work out daily, not weekly so NO.

How many hours about 90 minutes per day.

Really badly done.

by Anonymousreply 1503/14/2013

You work out, but it's a workout.

by Anonymousreply 1603/14/2013

I took the survey, but one question was kind of confusing. I don't push myself to lose weight or gain muscle, but I have resorted to taking laxatives and starving myself to lose a couple of pounds.

by Anonymousreply 1703/14/2013

"Really badly done."

You're dumb. If you work out every day that counts as "weekly."

by Anonymousreply 1803/14/2013

Thanks OP for starting the topic.

by Anonymousreply 1903/14/2013

It counts as daily, not weekly.

If I said I ate out weekly you would assume I ate out once a week.

You would not assume I ate out every day.

by Anonymousreply 2003/14/2013

If you said you ate out daily, weekly, or even monthly, I'd figure you're a lesbian.

by Anonymousreply 2103/17/2013
Need more help? Click Here.