Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

The daily "Ed Show" ending

and Ed Schultz moving it to Saturdays and Sundays, 5-7am.

I think that's what he just said. Maybe it was 5-7pm.

by Anonymousreply 8203/16/2013

Who's going to take his place?

Elisabeth Hasselbeck perhaps?

by Anonymousreply 103/13/2013

Probably Ezra Klein.

by Anonymousreply 203/13/2013

Ezra Klein is *not* taking Ed's slot. Brian Stetler floated that story in November and it was roundly shot down by TPTB at MSNBC. I have a feeling Rachel is moving to 8pm and the network is going to try someone new at 9pm (Lawrence pre-tapes his show...when he bothers to show he'll stay put).

I've noticed that Joy Reid has been getting a lot of airtime these past few include Meet the Press. I have a hunch she might be getting a show.

by Anonymousreply 303/13/2013

I always figured they'd put Joy Reid on something like a discussion show like "Up" or MHP.

I like her, so I'm fine with whatever they want to do with her.

Maybe I can hope that they've hired Soledad O'Brien since CNN cut her loose.

by Anonymousreply 403/13/2013

Joy rocks she could definitely do it.

by Anonymousreply 503/13/2013

5-7 pm starting in April

by Anonymousreply 603/13/2013

Final Ed Show tomorrow night.

by Anonymousreply 703/13/2013

Move the porker to radio instead so no one has to look at it!

by Anonymousreply 803/13/2013

How about my husband, Ari "BDF" Fleisher?

by Anonymousreply 903/13/2013

Melissa Harris-Perry?

Remember, the network is "over the moon" about her.

by Anonymousreply 1003/13/2013

I want Ari Melber to have his own show PRONTO

by Anonymousreply 1103/13/2013

Maybe they are finally moving Chris Hayes out of the twilite zone

by Anonymousreply 1203/13/2013

I sure hope it's not Ezra. I can take him in small doses, but I change the channel when he guest hosts. He puts me to sleep.

by Anonymousreply 1303/13/2013

Ezra's trial runs have failed bigtime. I think R12 is on to something...Chris Hayes has been making more frequent appearances during the week, and he's getting too popular to remain banished in the hinterland. Plus Rachel loves him...maybe he's going to Ed's slot, MHP will take Chris's old slot, and MSNBC will just have general news in MHP's old slot. Regardless of what happens, the network has too much organic talent to venture seems like Joe Scarborough was the last person to get a show without making the rounds/guest-hosting other MSNBC programs (Scarborough Report).

by Anonymousreply 1403/13/2013

I don't think they'll move Maddow. She has a following . Don't fix what ain't broken and all that.

by Anonymousreply 1503/13/2013

This is the first step in removing him from the network. Do you honestly think he's going to work 7 days a week for years on end? He already has a 5 day a week radio show. Big money interests wanted him gone. They don't want any mainstream personality to disperse information about them so people can organize against them.

by Anonymousreply 1603/13/2013

kind of a stunning departure- i feel bad for him

by Anonymousreply 1703/13/2013

Ed's wife has ovarian cancer. Which means she's dying.

He was off the air for a while after the diagnosis. It's likely he initiated this change to spend more time with her.

He can do the radio show from home. A daily hourlong TV show is essentially a full-time job; a weekend show is not. That's why Melissa Harris-Perry can still hold a professorship at Tulane.

by Anonymousreply 1803/13/2013

R16, I could not agree more.

Just last night Ed was talking about President Obama offering benefit cuts to "entitlement" programs. I'm sure DC Democrats did not like that at all.

Also, Ed a few weeks back called out Harry Reid for not doing real filibuster reform. And look just like clockwork right after the fake filibuster reform agrement had been reached, the GOP immediately filibusterd Chuck Hagel's nomination.

by Anonymousreply 1903/13/2013

They need SOMETHING on the weekend other than Lock Up or whatever that shitty prison reality show is.

by Anonymousreply 2003/13/2013

r28. I don't get it. Why are you comparing Ed to a woman.

Is that supposed to be an insult?

by Anonymousreply 2103/13/2013

The truth is that he's just not appealing.

He's obese.

He insulted a woman on air and had to apologize - which tainted female viewership (Believe it or not women do matter in demographics)

He's loud and annoying.

He's gone.

He might be back someday after he goes on the Al Sharpton diet.

by Anonymousreply 2203/13/2013

Ezra Klein is great for anybody who is an insomniac!

Geesh. Klein is solid when a guest commentator on a show when discussing numbers, but as a host at 8'oclock?

Absolutley not! He would be terrible!

When he fills in for other hosts now, I do not watch MSNBC.

by Anonymousreply 2303/13/2013

R22, Ed is not gone. He will still be on MSNBC 4 hours a week.

by Anonymousreply 2403/13/2013

Politico says Ed was pushed out:

Sources at MSNBC have long speculated that Washington Post columnist and MSNBC contributor Ezra Klein might replace Schultz in the 8 p.m. hour, though the network has not confirmed those rumors. The New York Times's Brian Stelter reported in November that Schultz would likely be leaving his primetime slot, perhaps to make room for Klein, though the host aggressively denied it at the time.

Like former MSNBC host Dylan Ratigan, Schultz suggested that the move was his choice: "I’m very proud of the work our team has done here at 8 PM, but sitting behind this desk five nights a week doesn’t cut it for me," he said. "I want to get out with the people and tell their stories. This show has been a show that has been a voice for the voiceless. That really was my mission when I came here and it remains."

[bold] Sources at MSNBC told POLITICO that that was a very generous interpretation of events. Schultz was pushed out to make way for new talent, they said. [/bold]

by Anonymousreply 2503/13/2013

That "new talent" if it is Ezra Klein will put MSNBC back in 3rd place for the 8 o'clock time slot in the ratings.

by Anonymousreply 2603/13/2013

I've always been suspicious of Ed Schultz. I lived in Fargo in the '90s when he was a local radio host there. He was a rabid right winger at that time, big Bill Clinton basher who kissed up to big name Republicans.

Prior to that he had been a TV and radio sportscaster who once crawled out of the press box and into the stands to fight with a fan who threw a whiskey bottle at him. I believe he anchored the news for a while and then married his anchorwoman.

He totally switched up his politics over a decade ago when he saw an opening for a populist alternative to Rush Limbaugh. So it's interesting he's become this big hero to liberals.

by Anonymousreply 2703/13/2013

R22 all your objections to Ed fit Joe Scarborough and his job is secure. You're wading into the shallow end of the kiddies' pool when you resort to attacking Ed's appearance. He is not obese.

Ed has a substantial following and I will tune in to watch his weekend shows. Ezra Klein, however, is another matter; 8pm is much too early for me to drift off to sleep. I predict MSNBC will give Joy Reid Tweety's 7pm slot and bump his rebroadcast up to 8pm.

by Anonymousreply 2803/14/2013

I'm not sure giving Klein his own show in the prime-time slot is a good idea. He's a brilliant analyst, but a bore. When he guest hosts for Rachel, I tune out. He's Rachel without the humor or ability to engage the audience.

With CNN gunning for MSNBC, I'm afraid the viewers are going to tune to CNN to escape the humorless Klein.

Rachel does have a following and so far, her 9PM show is solid.

by Anonymousreply 2903/14/2013

Ed leaving the weekly time slot is a bummer. My favorite hosts for Ed's vacant time slot would be:

Joy Reid Ari Melber Chris Hayes Eric Dyson

Ezra Klein, I agree is not ready for prime time. He is smart, but a dud. I too turn off the set when he fills in. He is just a bore and I hate his lisp.

MHP can fill in if she stops acting so giddy. She was much better when filling in.

by Anonymousreply 3003/14/2013

Joy or Ezra are with fine with me. I watch the Ed Show. I will miss his big ass mouth.

by Anonymousreply 3103/14/2013

R29 Sorry to say cnn has a lot if catching up to do. I can not see viewers who watch the Ed Show (very liberal) jumping ship to watch the reTHUGitans stans over at cnn. Not going to happen! I know I'm not turning my channel.

by Anonymousreply 3203/14/2013

CNN right now still has the same stale primetime lineup.

The only new show so far is at 4 pm with Jake Tapper, former ABC Whitehouse Correspondent, who has never seen a GOP talking point that he has not fall'in in love with.

Can't stand him. He claims to be objective yet he appeared on right winger Laura Ingram's radio show claiming the media is liberally biased.

Tapper sure in heck is not going to rescue CNN.

by Anonymousreply 3303/14/2013

I hope Chris Hayes takes his place and not Ezra Klein. Hes boring and his lisp is annoying; he talks like he has a lot of spit in his mouth.

I have no idea where and when Chris has his show and would like to see him more.

by Anonymousreply 3403/14/2013

No love for Steve Kornacki and his sweaters?

by Anonymousreply 3503/14/2013

Chris' show is on 5-7am on Sat and Sun.

by Anonymousreply 3603/14/2013

[quote]Chris' show is on 5-7am on Sat and Sun.

Where I live, it's 8-10am on both days.

by Anonymousreply 3703/14/2013

Why would they have Chris's show in no-man's land--5 am to 7am? IMO, that's a waste of a dynamic presence.

by Anonymousreply 3803/14/2013

Ezra Klein - smart and very nice eye candy.

Joy Reid -Brilliant and I never heard a talking point from her I didn't love.

Chris Hayes -In the know young hipster type (think occupy wallstreet) that's not afraid to speak up. Sometimes his whining is a bit much but I still like him.

MSNBC is very progressive so I expect their new host to be the same. I'm so glad I converted.

I will watch regardless!

by Anonymousreply 3903/14/2013

by Anonymousreply 4003/14/2013

I adore Steve Kornacki, R35. I just can't stand Toure and S.E. Cupp - that's why I won't watch his show.

by Anonymousreply 4103/14/2013

I was delighted when MSNBC decided to expand its programmng on the weekend with Chris Hayes and Melissa Harris-Perry. But now after they have had their shows for more than a year or so now, I found their weekend shows to be hours and hours of boring blah.

Chris is smart and I like him as a guest, but not so much as a host. His panelists are always a collection of insider eggheads who have no gravitas.

Melissa is also smart and I like her as a guest, but now I don't care for her as a host. She prides herself with this "nerdland" label; however, she and her group of nerds are not interesting or compelling at all.

Thank goodness for Alex Witt who makes MSNBC worthwhile on the weekend. I like her a lot. But I no longer care for Hayes and Harris-Perry.

by Anonymousreply 4203/14/2013

Let's see what you think, America. Get out your cellphones. Do you think The Ed Show is being moved because of the Republican Congress, or do you hate kitty-cats? 98% says it's because of the Republican Congress!

by Anonymousreply 4303/14/2013

R41, I agree but I'd add the unfortunately named Crystal Ball to the list. Of the four, Karnacki was the only one I could tolerate. I can't watch the show.

I also agree with what appears to be the majority Ezra-is-better-in-small-doses opinion.

Joy Reid would be great, taking Chris Hayes (a favorite of Cher's) out of the weekend ghetto would also be good.

I don't get what the problem with Ed Schultz was, he seemed perfectly fine to me.

by Anonymousreply 4403/14/2013

Ed Schultz said on his show that he "raised his hand" for this new weekend show. He made it clear that he volunteered for the weekend and wasn't being forced out of weeknights.

I hope what Ed said is true. I hope this is Ed's choice.

by Anonymousreply 4503/14/2013

The change may be one of tone rather than numbers. Schultz's ratings have been solid — he was the second-highest-rated host on the network in February — but his barnstorming, Midwestern, labor-friendly brand of populist liberalism has come to look more and more at odds with the increasingly elite and wonkish tone taking hold on the rest of MSNBC. The network has spent its last year grooming hosts like Chris Hayes, Melissa Harris-Perry and Ezra Klein, all of whom bring a far different approach to their work than Schultz.

MSNBC has yet to announce who will replace Schultz. It has been widely speculated that Klein, a rising star at the network, would be offered the job.

by Anonymousreply 4603/14/2013

Would be nice if Ed's replacement was Jennifer Granholm. She's a bit of a wonk herself and fun to watch.

by Anonymousreply 4703/14/2013

[quote]MSNBC has yet to announce who will replace Schultz. It has been widely speculated that Klein, a rising star at the network, would be offered the job.

Eww no!

by Anonymousreply 4803/14/2013

Keith Olbermann is coming back.... j/k

by Anonymousreply 4903/14/2013

Joy Reid's new haircut says she's got the slot!

She would be able to hold onto the down-to-earth demographic without the alienating personality. Brilliant yet with an unpretentious demeanor, she has really unlimited potential. Also, all of the other hosts either enjoy her or are being forced to book her, because she has been guesting repeatedly on all of their shows. Finally, The Grio is part of NBC, so Joy is already an employee and an easy transition.

Ezra Klein is smart, but I enjoy his writing better than his television work.

I didn't care for Ed's on-air personality, but I would not want MSNBC to lose its lone populist, outsider voice. There are plenty of hosts who cater to the coasts, so I hope Ed will survive at the network.

by Anonymousreply 5003/14/2013

A show comparing Ezra and Ari's hairy nether regions would be very informative...

by Anonymousreply 5103/14/2013

LMAO...I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks Ezra Klein is great as a guest, but horrible as a guest host. I love love love Joy'd be awesome if she got her own show.

by Anonymousreply 5203/14/2013

Woah, slow down, crazy, slow down.

MHP isn't ready for prime time, IMHO, but what you said was way uncalled for.

Al Sharpton has name recognition, but his show gets too goofy sometimes, and his voice is grating over time -- too loud.

Ezra is too bland and needs speech work with an industry coach for news anchors or something. But remember, when he fills in he is getting the writing staff for those shows and is expected to maintain the show's voice. Give him a weekend show, see how he develops his own voice before putting him on prime time full time.

From their existing roster, I would say Hayes is their best bet, and he seems to be next in line. He has put in his time on the weekends.

Someone from the outside like Soledad OBrien could bring in some much needed fresh air to MSNBC, but can be risky, as CNN is learning with Chris Cuomo, who was much better suited to the 20/20 format on ABC than he is to live news like CNN.

And seriously, R53, lay off the caffeine or the Adderall in the mornings. Eek.

by Anonymousreply 5403/14/2013

Chris Hayes is getting the primetime timeslot.

by Anonymousreply 5503/14/2013

wow r53. Just because you can't handle one show about the meaning of a dance doesn't mean everyone shares your issues.

Melissa Harris Perry is great and she's actually quite popular with the base viewership of MSNBC.

by Anonymousreply 5603/14/2013

Wait a minute. Are you people saying that ED is off during the week? YAAAAAAAY!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 5703/14/2013

Bottom line is Ed is leaving because his wife has cancer and he needs more time at home. The rethugitans running him out? Chile please! He would be great at weekends. Chris Hayes is okay. I like his occupy wallstreet attitude. And let me say the folks at msnbc are not elitist. That would be the snobs/cunts over at cnn and fox. The anchors at msnbc represent what liberal america is looking for in a station. This is why they are successful.

by Anonymousreply 5803/14/2013

Love Chris Hayes...he's energetic, funny, progressive and young. Plus he's nice to look at. No offense to Ed whom I liked very much but I see where MSNBC is heading. They will get the younger audience so this is a great move.

by Anonymousreply 5903/14/2013

R59 lol the younger audience

by Anonymousreply 6003/14/2013

[quote] Chris is smart and I like him as a guest, but not so much as a host. His panelists are always a collection of insider eggheads who have no gravitas.

The problem with Hayes I have is that he always seems to know everything already when he is interviewing his guests. It's always about confirming his opinion.

That aside, I am generally tired of opinion shows. One thing is that they don't take opposing opinions into account, or they only pick up the most outrageous opposing opinions. I wouldn't mind seeing a moderate conservative in the nightly opinion shows every now and then and actualy take them serious. The other thing I am struggling with is the limited scope of topics. I am craving more foreign affairs coverage and business news. And finally, I'm tired of seeing the same "contributors" night after night after night, talking about topics they have no special knowledge about besides what everybody can read in papers. Why is Joy Reed asked about every topic in the country? What's her special expertise? Or Steve Konacki, Ari Melber, Crystal Ball etc. They all just reiterate what I read in the paper already or heard in yesterday's show.

by Anonymousreply 6103/15/2013

I never turn on msnbc on the weekends, it becomes an alternate universe!

by Anonymousreply 6203/15/2013

They better not fuck up the Sat and Sun 8-10 slot. I have gotten into the rhythm of Chris show even though recently it has become somewhat of a slog. He keeps things moving right along though even in a second hour of talking about the debt ceiling. I like many of the people mentioned as replacements especially Joy but just hope that it becomes something completely different. Oy.

by Anonymousreply 6303/15/2013

[quote] You're wading into the shallow end of the kiddies' pool when you resort to attacking Ed's appearance. He is not obese.

I am not a body Nazi and I can appreciate people at any size. But yes, Ed Schulz is obese. He's a very large man, and unhealthily so.

As for his replacement, as tempting as it would be to put Chris Hayes in Ed's old slot - or Ezra Klein - they'd play before Maddow, and Hayes in particular is too similar to her in energy, tone, etc. It's probably a good idea to get someone who's a bit of a contrast.

by Anonymousreply 6403/15/2013

Sweetie if your life is that boring and you watch any news channel on the weekend instead of getting out and living your life YOU are the alternate universe.

by Anonymousreply 6503/15/2013

SCHULTZ: By the way, I do want to mention the fact that I've gotten a lot of emails from Beck's fans, I guess, and they always like to say I'm fat, hey you fat. I just want you to know that I was fat right after college, I've been fat for a long time, I was fat yesterday, I'm fat today, I'm going to be fat tomorrow. Why? Because I like to eat stuff. I'm kind of a normal American and I get passionate about issues when I see jobs that are being shipped out overseas.

You Beck supporters that have been leaving me hate voicemails and hate emails, bring it on baby, just bring it on. I got the truth on my side.

by Anonymousreply 6603/15/2013

I've loved Ed for years, even before he got the prime time slot. I listened (and still do, when I'm able) to his radio show and generally watch his in the evenings as well. I love his no-holds-barred, in-your-face liberalism. I will miss him during prime time.

As for the rest:

I LOVE Joy Reid (in fact, truthfully, I like her even more than Rachel).

I also love Ari Melber (who is gorgeous to look at and smart as hell). I also love Eric Burns, who I find extremely sexy in a boy-next-door sort of way.

I can take or leave Chris Hayes and Ezra Klein, both of whom are very smart but not at all interesting or fun to watch.

The one who drives me nuts is Chris Matthews. His talking over guests infuriates me. I often wonder why he even bothers to have them on. He asks a question, then butts in before they even have a chance to answer.

by Anonymousreply 6703/15/2013

Ed's least to that he looks and sounds like an educated blue collar worker. Ezra's voice is too whiny and nasal plus his presentation is too scholarly. In other words, Ed fills a niche and I will sorely miss him at his usual time.

by Anonymousreply 6803/15/2013

[quote] as tempting as it would be to put Chris Hayes in Ed's old slot - or Ezra Klein - they'd play before Maddow, and Hayes in particular is too similar to her in energy, tone, etc. It's probably a good idea to get someone who's a bit of a contrast.

It's a done deal. They've already announced that Chris Hayes is getting Ed's slot. And I agree that it's not a smart choice. Nobody but the nerdiest of nerds and the wonkiest of wonks will want to sit through two back-to-back hours of Chris and Rachel in prime time five nights a week.

by Anonymousreply 6903/15/2013

I think Chris is a very smart guy. I can't watch him or Rachel for any length of time unless they have a few people on a panel. They both have annoying manners of speaking. Chris sounds like that brilliant guy in your poli sci class who answers every question with a monologue. Rachel's manner of speaking begins to sound like a harangue with an overuse of sarcasm. After 10 minutes it all sounds like blahblahblah.

If I were to replace anyone it would be Chris Matthews. He spits all over, interrupts everyone, doesn't allow guests to finish their thoughts.

by Anonymousreply 7003/15/2013

I don't mind Chris when he does a morning slot. Doesn't he have some kind of Saturday morning thing?

Anyway, if they had to do a Sunday night slot why not pick Chris or Ezra Klein for Sunday evening and leave Ed alone. I know his wife is struggling with cancer so I wonder if Ed decided to take this as a way to lighten his load?

They need to do something about Joe Scarborough and Mika. They are an embarrassment.

by Anonymousreply 7103/15/2013

[quote]The one who drives me nuts is Chris Matthews. His talking over guests infuriates me. I often wonder why he even bothers to have them on. He asks a question, then butts in before they even have a chance to answer.

I keep waiting for a guest to scream "WILL YOU SHUT THE FUCK UP AND LET ME TALK?"

by Anonymousreply 7203/15/2013

[quote] I know his wife is struggling with cancer so I wonder if Ed decided to take this as a way to lighten his load?

I doubt it. He does a three-hour Monday through Friday radio show. If he wanted to lighten his workload, he could have cut the radio show back to one hour or two hours. Or he could have asked MSNBC to cut his show back to 4 nights a week or allow him to tape some shows instead of always being live. Moving him from the key prime time slot to a weekend dinnertime slot when nobody watches TV seems to be MSNBC's way of getting rid of him without actually getting rid of him.

by Anonymousreply 7303/15/2013

R18 is the most believable. Also, he can do his radio show from home or even pre-record on occasion if necessary.

As far as who replaces him, the posts on this thread indicate that it could be almost anyone at MSNBC. There are a wide range of likes and dislikes of the personalities, leaving the slot wide open.

by Anonymousreply 7403/15/2013

[quote] As far as who replaces him, the posts on this thread indicate that it could be almost anyone at MSNBC. There are a wide range of likes and dislikes of the personalities, leaving the slot wide open.

Do you mean who replaces Ed? MSNBC announced yesterday that Chris Hayes is replacing him. The decision has already been made.

by Anonymousreply 7503/15/2013

r76, I could have written your post until you go to the Chris Matthews part.

I kind of adore him and his blustery ways.

by Anonymousreply 7603/15/2013

I don't perceive them that way at all, R70. I agree that Matthews is obnoxious, though.

by Anonymousreply 7703/15/2013

[quote] is the most believable. Also, he can do his radio show from home or even pre-record on occasion if necessary.

Politico quoted anonymous sources within MSNBC saying that Ed was pushed out. Ed may claim that the decision was all about spending more time with his wife, but nobody in the media is buying it.

by Anonymousreply 7803/15/2013

Ed has no reason to be pushed out. He is loved by many including myself. This is not a situation like whats happening over at cnn where the ratings have been floundering. Ed has been bringing in serious numbers and that is all that matters. He's kicked Anderson Cooper's ass in ratings for years. I am a convert.

His wife is ill and he probably wants to be more available to her which is understandable. Radio can easily be pre-taped so work load is not the issue. It's his wife.

by Anonymousreply 7903/15/2013

I like Ed as well.

Very pleased that his last show was a coup. Prouty chose to appear on his show.

by Anonymousreply 8003/15/2013

R61: Steve Kornacki rarely has any "analysis" to impart that a political junkie doesn't know already.

by Anonymousreply 8103/16/2013

If they could lure him away, John Fugelsang from Current TV would be great in Ed's old slot. I often find myself shifting back and forth between these two. Fugelsang is intelligent, "hip," and humorous. He would make an excellent lead-in to Rachel and then Lawrence.

by Anonymousreply 8203/16/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!