Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

People who "don't believe in divorce"

Really? You just happened to meet someone in a bar once, started dating, got married... and you were meant to spend all your living days with that same person? Did God arrange that meeting for you?

Divorce was invented for a reason: because nothing lasts forever.

by Anonymousreply 1603/15/2013

One half of a couple may not believe in divorce, but I can guarantee you their other half probably does believe in it

by Anonymousreply 103/13/2013

"One half of a couple may not believe in divorce, but I can guarantee you their other half probably does believe in it."

Have you been reading my pleas in saunas around the country?

by Anonymousreply 203/13/2013

[quote]Divorce was invented for a reason: because nothing lasts forever.

And yet the marriage vows require you to promise each other that it will. Foolish institution, based on unrealistic notions.

by Anonymousreply 303/13/2013

Oh hell no -- no divorce,

This is our main tool that will show straights the ridiculousness of the Defense of Marriage Act.

All gays should insist on NO DIVORCE!

Hold their feet to the fire, as it were.

by Anonymousreply 403/13/2013

It did in the Iron Age desert when your property kept dying during childbirth or before reaching age 45.

by Anonymousreply 503/13/2013

Um, you are questioning marriage here, not really "not believing in divorce". Even atheists marry believing that, yes, they want to spend the rest of their days with that person. People do it do. Some people are together til death without being married. What is this thread? If you don't want that, you should not marry in the first place, unless you want to swindle some rich fool out of money.

Divorce was invented because some relationships turn into horrible nightmares, mostly, not because nothing lasts forever. Many things last until the end of a short human life.

by Anonymousreply 603/13/2013

True, r5, true.

by Anonymousreply 703/13/2013

OP if you believe in divorce - good for you. If someone doesn't, why does it bother you. I happen to feel strongly that people who don't want to be married to each should not be married to each other. I know some people who believe marriage is a sacrament - good for them. Why does it bother you so much when people hold beliefs that are contrary to your own? I think that kind of intolerance is a flyover thing.

by Anonymousreply 803/13/2013

Divorce seems to have shown up around 1880. By 1900, there were a surprising number of divorces. Not like today, but way more than you would think.

Seems to be related to people moving from farms to the city. Not to many people to fuck around with on the farm.

Also the number of kids plunged when people moved to the city. Lot's of zero or 1 child households in 1900, 1910. The Baby Boom was the result of moving out of the city and into the suburbs.

by Anonymousreply 903/13/2013

Agree R8.

by Anonymousreply 1003/13/2013

Speak for yourself, OP! We prefer divorce very much when the alternative is a beheading.

by Anonymousreply 1103/13/2013

SInce more than 50% of all marriages in the US end in divorce, these people must be fairly thin on the ground, OP.

by Anonymousreply 1203/13/2013

R9 needs a history lesson.

by Anonymousreply 1303/13/2013

It is true that the Bible is very anti-divorce. So if you're fool enough to take advice from the Bible, you may sincerely be "anti-divorce".

There have been a lot of societies that didn't allow divorce. 100-200 years ago "seperations" were common; when people couldn't stand each other they broke up, but neither was free to marry someone else. Abandonment of dependent spouses was also common enough, and bigamy, and I bet domestic murder was too, although there are no reliable statistics on that.

by Anonymousreply 1403/14/2013

#12, it's generally one who wants a divorce and the other who doesn't. Who thinks one is married forever, and can't move on.

You're allowed to break-up with people you're dating (thankfully)- but not after you sign them papers!

by Anonymousreply 1503/15/2013

Morbidly obese Maggie Gallagher doesn't believe in divorce as evidenced by the fact that her husband left her two years ago but they are still not divorced.

by Anonymousreply 1603/15/2013
Need more help? Click Here.