Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

What's for dinner? Chicken Spaghetti!

No, not boneless breast over spaghetti.

Oh no, this woman from Odessa, Texas has quite the feast on her hands...

Great photo also.

by Anonymousreply 34604/16/2013

That picture of her culinary creation just reminded me to get the cats' worm medication refilled.

by Anonymousreply 103/12/2013

Yum. Velveeta and *two* cans of Campbell's Condensed Soups.

by Anonymousreply 203/12/2013

Is this from kitchen of Peggy Hill?

by Anonymousreply 303/12/2013

Y'all can hate... but I would eat three plates of that shit so fast.

by Anonymousreply 403/12/2013

As one person says admiringly, "It's SO cheesy!"

by Anonymousreply 503/12/2013

My mom used to make this when I was growing up. It may look and sound disgusting but it tastes damn good.

by Anonymousreply 603/12/2013

It's Semi-Homemade!

by Anonymousreply 703/12/2013

Please don't let this discussion continue any further without crediting the chef by name: Jeanne Benavidez.

by Anonymousreply 803/12/2013

Mama! You're back! Please call me. We'll make Chicken Spaghetti (sounds delish).

by Anonymousreply 903/12/2013

I'd eat some.

by Anonymousreply 1003/12/2013

Velveeta is not cheese!

by Anonymousreply 1103/12/2013

[quote] Velveeta is not cheese!

Is it a dessert?

by Anonymousreply 1203/12/2013

I have to admit I'd never heard of Mexican Velveeta, but it apparently does exist. The name sounds like a south-of-the-border drag queen.

by Anonymousreply 1303/12/2013

Trained cook here. I bet this is delicious. But I'd go with linguini rather than spaghetti and make sure it's al dente to soak up the sauce.

by Anonymousreply 1403/12/2013

I'd try it, but would prefer it with (ground) beef rather than chicken breasts probably.

by Anonymousreply 1503/12/2013

[quote]Trained cook here. I bet this is delicious. But I'd go with linguini rather than spaghetti and make sure it's al dente to soak up the sauce.

What would you do about the Velveeta? Can you recommend a substitution? I just can't bear to eat American Processed Cheese Food Product instead of actual cheese.

by Anonymousreply 1603/12/2013

I bet it hardens into one gluey lump in the fridge. I'd skip the Velveeta, use just one can of the condensed soup and add a can of diced tomatoes.

by Anonymousreply 1703/12/2013

Thanks for the suggestion, R13.

Watch for me, Mexican Velvetta, supersta!!! workin' it on the next season of Ru Paul's Drag Race.

by Anonymousreply 1803/12/2013

Two cans of condensed soup, one pound of Velveeta and a full stick of butter to sautee one onion and one pepper. On lordy.

by Anonymousreply 1903/12/2013

lots of salt in that I bet

by Anonymousreply 2003/12/2013

Hi R16.

You can substitute softened (room temp) cream cheese mixed with grated hard cheddar for the Velveeta. I would go 3 to 1 (cream cheese to grated cheddar).

Have fun and let me know if you have any other questions.

by Anonymousreply 2103/12/2013

Ahem. That's "Velvita," amigos!

by Anonymousreply 2203/12/2013

But, R21, cream cheese is a dessert!

This does sound good. If you don't want to use canned soup, make a bechamel with butter, flour, & milk (which is what's used in macaroni & cheese).

I use a similar Rotel recipe for macaroni & cheese, & top it with crushed taco chips. It's equally good with plain canned tomatoes & pepperjack cheese instead of cheddar.

by Anonymousreply 2303/12/2013

Where's mine?

by Anonymousreply 2403/12/2013

by Anonymousreply 2503/12/2013

If you are used to eating well, this dish will taste like chemicals. Dreary, stale, metallic.

If I wanted to make a decadent pasta with a chicken sauce:

Saute some chicken breast in butter... remove breast and pull into shreads (or cube).

In the pan where the chicken cooked, saute shallots (add more butter if needed).

Add some freshly crushed peppercorns.

When the shallots are nicely done, add a nice amount of Cognac. Reduce.

Add fresh heavy cream. Reduce.

Add chicken. Stir and simmer for another minute.

Add cooked fresh tagliatelle to the pan. Toss. Serve.

(a few gratings of fresh Parmigiano will do no harm)

by Anonymousreply 2603/12/2013

I am in love with R12 and R23.

And this recipe sounds like something I might have enjoyed when I was younger. Far too heavy for my taste now.

by Anonymousreply 2703/12/2013

I bet you it's even better as leftovers. All fried up the next day. I grew up on trailer trash cuisine and you people who turn your nose up at it don't know what your missing.

Fried baloney and scrambled eggs anyone?

by Anonymousreply 2803/12/2013

"I grew up on trailer trash cuisine and you people who turn your nose up at it don't know what your missing."

Like obesity, diabetes and overall ugliness?

by Anonymousreply 2903/12/2013

I just threw up a little in my mouth.

I'm ok with the Velveeta dip and tortilla chips. I even like it in some versions of mac and cheese.

But this is disgusting.

r26 - try Marsala instead of Cognac and add some mushrooms.

by Anonymousreply 3003/12/2013

R26, will you come cook for me? I have a spare room.

by Anonymousreply 3103/12/2013

You mean you may not become attorney general if I don't make Aurora's chicken spaghetti?

by Anonymousreply 3203/12/2013

R26 That would be awfully nice, wouldn't it.

by Anonymousreply 3303/12/2013

R26 is going to cook for me, R31.

by Anonymousreply 3403/12/2013

Cooking is too much effort. If r26 wants to do it for me, then I'll eat and enjoy it. But if I'm doing it myself, it's probably going to be something easier.

by Anonymousreply 3703/12/2013

Foodie fight!

by Anonymousreply 3803/12/2013

You've never heard of Dry Marsala?

Marsala, shallots, cream and mushrooms are Scallopine Marsala ingredients. If you can't taste the "tasteless Champignon" mushrooms then you don't know how to cook. It's used extensively in French and Italian cooking. But you can always substitute porcini.

Flyover? Sure, if you're normally flying over the Appenines.

by Anonymousreply 4003/12/2013

r37 - You do realize that r26's recipe (and r30 - me) can be made by the time the pasta is cooked.

Twenty minutes max, the only chopping is the shallot.

by Anonymousreply 4103/12/2013

OK, maybe you've got a point. It probably wouldn't take as long as I thought, but I just don't keep a lot of ingredients in the kitchen, and I hate shopping.

The stuff I do cook tends to be very basic, but I don't limit myself to salty fat-filled canned stuff. Tonight I'll be eating a chicken breast mixed with pasta/sauce from a package and lots of steamed broccoli. Pretty easy and not all that unhealthy.

by Anonymousreply 4203/12/2013

You just know this family waddles.

by Anonymousreply 4303/12/2013

Ok R30 let's duke it out.

First of all, I'm writing from Italy where I live.

re: Scallopine Marsala... the classic dish gets no cream. It is made with flour, butter and Marsala.

In 30 years of living in Italy (Tuscany) I have only ever had Champignon served pickled as part of an appetizer or on bad pizza.

Porcini+chicken+cream+marsala+peppercorns.... in Italy? Maybe for an American expat potluck...

by Anonymousreply 4403/12/2013

I can give you a hundred dishes to use Campbell's Cream of Mushroom Soup in.

by Anonymousreply 4503/12/2013

R42: R30 is right, while you're waiting for water to boil etc. you can do the sauce.

If I didn't have peppercorns... some ground pepper would be fine. No shallots? A finely chopped onion will do. No fresh tagliatelle... penne would be fine.

The point is to use things that are fresh and wholesome. (and that includes good cream and butter now and then too)

by Anonymousreply 4603/12/2013

[quote]I can give you a hundred dishes to use Campbell's Cream of Mushroom Soup in.

Sandra Lee, ladies and gentlemen!

by Anonymousreply 4703/12/2013

Actually, he sounds like a Campbell to me.

by Anonymousreply 4803/12/2013

This is what a Campbell sounds like:

by Anonymousreply 4903/12/2013

The easiest thing is just to boil some egg noodles and top it with the cream of mushroom soup.

by Anonymousreply 5003/12/2013

Ok r44 - see link below.

However, you are right about the classic recipe. I was just adding to what r26 posted.

Ciao, bello.

by Anonymousreply 5103/12/2013

Oh, why go to all the trouble? Just vomit lunch and eat it again.

by Anonymousreply 5203/12/2013

finally, someone sensible!

by Anonymousreply 5303/12/2013

The frozen chicken breasts pre-boiled in the pasta water with 1/2 teaspoon salt and pepper are what makes it truly Eyetalian.

by Anonymousreply 5403/13/2013

You know what? Just reading that "recipe" raised my LDLs and blood sugar so high, I feel like I need to do a cleanse and then go lie down in a cool dark room...

by Anonymousreply 5503/13/2013

r54, it's not truly Italian unless you put some Prego sauce or something similar on it.

by Anonymousreply 5603/13/2013

Wait - is this an "upscale" version of the sketty Mama June makes?

by Anonymousreply 5703/13/2013

OMG, it looks like yellow worms!

by Anonymousreply 5803/13/2013

This gave me a semi.

by Anonymousreply 5903/13/2013

I dunno... it sounds vile.

by Anonymousreply 6003/13/2013

My mom used to make a similar dish and I tried it recently. Love it. Very good comfort food! It does congeal in the fridge but heats up OK. My boyfriend hated it though so I had to eat the whole casserole. I ended up freezing it in portions.

by Anonymousreply 6103/13/2013

Today's recipe for vomit.

Chicken does not pair with pasta or pizza...vile, just vile.

by Anonymousreply 6203/13/2013

Why do they bother using real Parmesan when the entire dish will be saturated with Velveeta? That's like grating truffles atop some pork rinds.

by Anonymousreply 6303/13/2013

R62, chicken goes with pasta just fine.

by Anonymousreply 6403/13/2013

Even if you get over the fact that she puts chicken in a pasta dish (not something done in Italian cuisine), the fact that canned soups make their appearance in the sauce is vomit inducing.

by Anonymousreply 6503/13/2013

As revolting as this recipe may appear, I don't think this woman had any delusions that she was cooking in Rome.

She probably didn't even think she was at the Olive Garden Institute.

by Anonymousreply 6603/13/2013

R64 See R65 Chicken does not pair with pasta...gross, just gross.

by Anonymousreply 6703/13/2013

Chicken is fine with pasta, you just have a food dislike that you're projecting onto everyone else. Chicken cacciatore, chicken Parmesan, chicken Marsala...all very popular.

by Anonymousreply 6803/13/2013

R68 all very American.

by Anonymousreply 6903/13/2013

R69, and they all taste fine.

by Anonymousreply 7003/13/2013

R69, are we discussing authentic Italian cuisine in this thread? No, clearly we are not. We are also not discussing food issues, hang ups or personal likes and dislikes. You don't like chicken a with pasta? Great, you made your point. Stop acting like your personal tastes are the universal standard.

by Anonymousreply 7103/13/2013

R65 is correct that in Italy, chicken is not combined with pasta.

by Anonymousreply 7203/13/2013

[quote] Chicken cacciatore

Not a pasta dish.

[quote] chicken Parmesan

Not a pasta dish.

[quote] chicken Marsala

Not a pasta dish.

Sorry, R68, what was your point?

by Anonymousreply 7303/13/2013

Hear, hear, R71!

by Anonymousreply 7403/13/2013

You're being pedantic, R73. I know you think you look smart, but you just come off as a fool.

by Anonymousreply 7503/13/2013

I love how someone is hung up on the Italian authenticity of pairing chicken with pasta while completely ignoring the presence of Velveeta and Campbell's soup.

by Anonymousreply 7603/13/2013

It's basically chicken melt. Why not give it its proper white trash name and make it with macaroni elbows or something like that instead of trying to gussy it up with spaghetti?

by Anonymousreply 7703/13/2013

Two CANS of Campbell's soup.

I think boneless chicken breast, either grilled or fried, on top of spaghetti is delicious. Though I'd prefer a red sauace or maybe linguni alfredo as compared to Velveeta Cheese and "Cream of" soups.

by Anonymousreply 7803/13/2013

I bet her pasta is mushy and overcooked, like pudding.

by Anonymousreply 7903/13/2013

I am fine with velveeta for a queso dip. As an actual dinner dish...this is not appealing to me personally.

It is probably tasty in a processed way, I get the appeal, but I would pass. Really rich dishes should be worth it, and I don't think this is.

by Anonymousreply 8003/13/2013

Cambell's Cream of Mushroom - Ingredients

water, mushrooms, vegetable oil (corn, cottonseed, canola, and/or soybean), modified food starch, wheat flour, salt, monosodium glutamate, soy protein concentrate, dehydrated cream (cream [milk], soy lecithin), yeast extract, flavoring, dehydrated garlic.

Velveeta - Ingredients

Milk, water, milkfat, whey, milk protein concentrate, whey protein concentrate, sodium phosphate, salt, calcium phosphate, lactic acid, sorbic acid as a preservative, sodium alginate, sodium citrate, enzymes, apocarotenal (color), annatto (color), cheese culture.

by Anonymousreply 8103/13/2013

Um, thanks, R81?

by Anonymousreply 8203/13/2013

Actually, the ingredients in both aren't as bad as I imagined.

by Anonymousreply 8303/13/2013

[quote]I just can't bear to eat American Processed Cheese Food Product

You and me both! American cheese is the worst, followed closely by Velveeta. Yuck.

by Anonymousreply 8403/13/2013

Question: the eating of chicken breasts on top of pasta... when did that start? I don't remember it from years ago or as a kid growing up in the 60s and 70s.

Is it something that started with Olive Garden?

by Anonymousreply 8503/13/2013

Wouldn't it just be easier to take an Ex-Lax?

by Anonymousreply 8603/13/2013

R85 Yes...Olive Garden is responsible.

by Anonymousreply 8703/13/2013

I agree with R83. I'm amazed how benign most of the ingredients are in R81's post.

by Anonymousreply 8803/13/2013

R85, I've seen chicken parm, chicken cacciatore and chicken Marsala all over, my whole life. I'm 44. My mom made chicken cacciatore and chicken parm when we were kids. I remember having chicken Marsala in a restaurant when I was a teenager in the 80s. No, it was not the Olive Garden. All of these dishes are served over pasta.

I'm in Philly though, we have a large Italian American population/cultural influence. If you grew up in a square state or the deep south, your mileage may vary.

by Anonymousreply 8903/13/2013

Shame on you for starting a thread on this when Arroz con Pollo is datalounge's favorite dish-named poster.

by Anonymousreply 9003/13/2013

Uh...89... those dishes are not served over pasta.

I grew up near Philly by the way, and never remember any of those served on top of pasta. I also come from an Italian-American background.

And in Italy it does not exist.

by Anonymousreply 9103/13/2013

Well, perhaps everybody has their own variations.

It doesn't change that this recipe just looks nasty.

by Anonymousreply 9203/13/2013

What are they served with then, R91? What restaurants do you go to/order from? What part of Philly are you from? Because every Italian restaurant in my South Philly neighborhood serves those dishes with pasta.

And for the 100th time: this thread is not about authentic Italian cuisine (OBVIOUSLY). I never claimed any of those dishes were authentic Italian. But thanks for playing.

by Anonymousreply 9303/13/2013

Apart from ground meat or mixed sea food, sliced chicken or sliced turkey breasts are great in a tomato or white creamy sauce with pasta. However I only add parmesan cheese as a topping and use rarely any cheese in the sauce at all.

by Anonymousreply 9403/13/2013

But you're not supposed to, R94. That's not how they do it in Italy.

by Anonymousreply 9503/13/2013

[quote]And in Italy it does not exist.

I'm sure chicken "exists" somewhere in Italy next to (or even on top of!) pasta. It may not be traditional, but who cares? It can be a delicious combination.

by Anonymousreply 9603/13/2013

R89 and R91, before you two erupt into a food fight, there is a difference between how Italians serve food and how Americans organize their meals. Italians (and traditional Italian-American families) have a first course (primo) that consists of a pasta, risotto, or soup. Then they serve a main dish (secondo) that includes a meat and a vegetable or two.

Italian restaurants in the US typically just throw both it all together (often in a nasty, confused mess). That's how you end up with chicken breasts served over spaghetti and other atrocities. Many Americans families serve Italian food the same way, thinking that's the authentic way to do it.

It's all good. Well, some of it.

by Anonymousreply 9703/13/2013

So, according to Italian tradition you eat one dish pasta and after you finished that plate one separate dish meat without anything on the side? I must admit that does feel a bit strange to me to have just one thing on the plate at a time.

by Anonymousreply 9803/13/2013

[quote]So, according to Italian tradition you eat one dish pasta and after you finished that plate one separate dish meat without anything on the side?

No, you have a bowl or plate of pasta and then you have the meat course with one or two veggies on the side.

by Anonymousreply 9903/13/2013

R98 The meat would have vegetables on the side.

A very typical meal when I lived in Italy on a Sunday.

Vegetables, grilled, roasted even fried.

A platter with roast peppers, grilled eggplant, zuchinni frita stuffed with an anchovy, olives, tomatoes, etc.

A little pasta maybe 1 oz per person, with say a pistachio pesto.

A couple of ounces of meat or fish with sauteed spinach in garlic and oil and maybe some mushrooms on the side.

A few greens.

Some fruit and lemoncello with biscotti

That was a huge meal.

During the week it was not uncommon to have some vegetables followed by a tiny pasta and meat only once or twice.

by Anonymousreply 10003/13/2013

R96tChicken on top of pasta does indeed exist in Italy: it's called "leftovers in the garbage".

Chicken breasts over pasta is an American invention and I agree with R87, probably made popular by those faux "Italian" food chains like Olive Garden.

by Anonymousreply 10103/13/2013

I've had this before.

I can't recall where or when but the taste and smell is ingrained in my memory— probably at some pot-luck in Arkansas.

If I reacall correctly it was actually quite good.

"For a spicey spin add some red pepper or jalepeno. Yum."

by Anonymousreply 10203/13/2013

God forbid anybody try something new. I didn't realize Italian cuisine was so set in stone.

by Anonymousreply 10303/13/2013

Italians eat chicken. They eat pasta. They shit out teh waste together.

They can eat it together.

by Anonymousreply 10503/13/2013

R103 it is not so much set in stone but they follow natural law. Chicken is consumed as chicken.

The most revolting thing I ever tried was BBQ chicken on pizza. Some things are perfect and not to be messed with.

by Anonymousreply 10603/13/2013

Pasta di Pollo is not an American invention. Get real.

by Anonymousreply 10703/13/2013

R107 It comes from The Macaroni Grill.

by Anonymousreply 10803/13/2013

Uh... what language is "Pasta di Pollo"?

by Anonymousreply 10903/13/2013

r26/ad nauseum is a total bore.

I grew up in NYC and always had chicken parm, picatta, caccitore, scarpiello, marsala served with spaghetti. At home, at other people's homes, at Italian restaurants. I am 46, and the first time I went to an Olive Garden was about 10 years ago (and didn't hate the food, only the noise and the fact that I had to wait to be seated).

by Anonymousreply 11003/13/2013

Perhaps you're missing the point that NYC is not Italy, r110. Nobody doubts that you had those experiences, however it is great folly for you to believe that those experiences are in ANY way authentically Italian.

NYC Italian-Americans are NOT Italian. At all. In any shape or form.

by Anonymousreply 11103/13/2013

R110... go to any high-end Italian restaurant in NYC and ask for "chicken parm" with a side of pasta (or better yet, OVER pasta)....they will laugh at you.

by Anonymousreply 11203/13/2013

If they laugh at a guest, they won't get business.

by Anonymousreply 11303/13/2013

R112 High end restaurants do not feature this dish of which you speak.

by Anonymousreply 11403/13/2013

How do you make an Italian's head explode? You cut the Spaghetti noddles with a knife.

by Anonymousreply 11503/13/2013

Who the fuck is talking about Italy? Someone way up thread said that chicken doesn't go with pasta, and many people have cited these classic dishes. As someone else pointed out, and "upscale Italian restaurant" in NYC won't have chicken parm with spaghetti on the menu, but a neighborhood one will if they want to stay in business.

by Anonymousreply 11603/13/2013

Are there free refills on soda?

by Anonymousreply 11703/13/2013

Faux food snobs who probably eat Chef Boyardee.

by Anonymousreply 11803/13/2013

Somebody should alert that poor frau that her recipe provoked an intense cultural/sociological/gastronomical debate on a gay message board.

by Anonymousreply 11903/13/2013

I hope she knows her recipe would get her laughed at in Italy.

by Anonymousreply 12003/13/2013

R102, I live in Arkansas, and yes, Chicken Spaghetti is a staple of potlucks here.

Before y'all start moaning about the dish, try it with your own variations. I make this on occasion, and I've never had a complaint. I know, I know, "You live in Arkansas, duh."

3 - Boneless/Skinless Chicken Breasts 2 - 32 oz containers low sodium chicken broth 1 - small can/jar pimento peppers, drained and rinsed 1 - medium onion, diced 2 - cloves garlic, diced 1 - can Campbell's Mushroom Soup 1 - can Campbell's Cream of Chicken Soup 2 - 8 oz package Sargento Reduced Fat Shredded Italian Cheese Blend 1 - 16 oz package pasta of choice

Cook breasts, onion and garlic in the broth until breasts are done. Remove and set aside. Place pasta in broth and cook al dente. While pasta is cooking, shred or chunk the breasts. Mix soups, 1 1/2 packets of cheese and pimentos in in a large bowl.

After noodles are cooked, drain and mix all ingredients together thoroughly. Once mixed, pour into a large baking pan that has been coated in butter and level off. Spread remaining cheese over top, cover and bake at 350 until bubbling. Pull from oven and let sit for 5 minutes. Salt and pepper to taste.

by Anonymousreply 12103/13/2013

Dammit, R121, haven't you been listening? Chicken should NEVER touch pasta!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 12203/13/2013

R122, I've been listening and laughing. Man, there are some people on here with their panties twisted so tightly there's no need for chastity devices. They'll never get laid.

by Anonymousreply 12303/13/2013

Is turkey tetrazzini Italian?

by Anonymousreply 12403/13/2013

But would Clare eat it?

by Anonymousreply 12503/13/2013

The recipe OP posted looks delicious. Definitely not healthy but looks great.

by Anonymousreply 12603/13/2013

No it's not, Ciaran. Tetrazzini is named after Italian opera star, Luisa Tetrazzini who was a long-time resident at the Palace Hotel in San Francisco, where it was probably first developed.

by Anonymousreply 12703/13/2013

No one is saying this is ITALIAN food -- it is AMERICAN! Just like "Tex Mex" isn't what you'd get in Mexico.

by Anonymousreply 12803/13/2013

But R128. ITALIANS don't do it and by the logic of DL, neither should we.

by Anonymousreply 12903/13/2013

R129 -- I understand that "real" Japanese add barely a drop of soy sauce to their sushi. Me, I dredge the shit in soy-wasabi solution! Coming from a WASP background where frozen breakfast sausages + minute rice + applesauce = dinner, I'm allowed!

by Anonymousreply 13003/13/2013

R121: Instead of the Campbell's Soup, I prefer using: 1 envelope of Lipton's Chicken Noodle Soup and 1 envelope of Lipton's Beef Vegetable.

I don't know why... but maybe it's the envelopes that add a special something.

And instead of the Sargento Reduced-Fat-Shredded-Italian-Cheese-Blend... I use Kraft's Easy Cheese in the aerosol can.

It makes it lighter... almost like a sufflay.

by Anonymousreply 13103/13/2013

I couldn't POSSIBLY eat I look Italian?

by Anonymousreply 13203/13/2013

[quote] almost like a sufflay.

Oh, dear. Your spelling is just as bad as your cooking.Cheese from an aerosol can??

by Anonymousreply 13303/13/2013

To each their own, R131. As long as you are happy, all is good.

by Anonymousreply 13403/13/2013

[quote] sufflay.

by Anonymousreply 13503/13/2013

That's not how they spell it in Italy, you know.

by Anonymousreply 13603/13/2013

Oh... and I wanted to mention that before I put it in the oven (350 until bubbling) I sprinkle the top with Shake 'n Bake (original chicken) OR crushed Doritos (if company's coming).

by Anonymousreply 13703/13/2013

This looks excellent!

by Anonymousreply 13803/13/2013

I just dont' "see" chicken and spaghetti going together.

by Anonymousreply 13903/13/2013

BOCA BURGER "flamed grilled" with cilantro, cheddar and tomato on potato bun!!!

by Anonymousreply 14003/13/2013

The sodium and chemicals, egads!

by Anonymousreply 14103/13/2013

Let it go, R139.

Once upon a time, people didn't think peanut butter and chocolate could coexist until one day, two people bumped into one another and one got chocolate in the other's peanut butter (or did the other get their peanut butter in the other's chocolate), anyhow, it was two great tastes that tasted great together.

Like chicken and spaghetti.

by Anonymousreply 14203/13/2013

Shopping List Ready

by Anonymousreply 14303/14/2013

R142 better known as, "chicken 'n sketti"

by Anonymousreply 14403/14/2013

Why did the OP post this? What's the big deal? It's just cheesy spaghetti. Ever heard of mac and cheese?

by Anonymousreply 14503/14/2013

R145, why did OP post this? Check your post number.

It's DL.

by Anonymousreply 14603/14/2013

I tried that Velveeta mac and cheese crap and I headed straight to the bathroom afterwards. diarrhea galore! Never me again.

by Anonymousreply 14703/14/2013

I would make it just once to see how it is.

by Anonymousreply 14803/14/2013

R145 eats Chicken Spaghetti 3 times a week.

by Anonymousreply 14903/14/2013

I'm the child of Italian immigrants and have spent a large portion of my life in Italy--there is no pasta dish that included chicken in it. There's various meat sauces (bolognese...) which have ground beef and/or veal, there sure as hell is pasta with pork products like pancetta or prosciutto, but no pasta with chicken.

I've NEVER been served a chicken dish on the same plate as pasta in a restaurant, but in homes where people aren't having a formal meal, it might be served on the same plate.

Anyway-this recipe sounds revolting, but they're not claiming to be authentic Italian or even authentic Italian-American, it's just some Southern...creation.

by Anonymousreply 15003/14/2013

Guys, this shit is seriously good. Great comfort food. Horrible for you of course.

by Anonymousreply 15103/14/2013

R150 true about the chicken and pasta.

But after 30 years of living here I have never seen pasta served as a side dish or on the same plate...not in restaurants, not in homes.

by Anonymousreply 15203/14/2013

Bingo R150. It's not Italian at all. As a Southerner I've never cooked this myself but it's really delicious and a little cafe here, whose claim is home cooking, serves it and big, burly working men come in and eat the shit out of it along with chicken fried steaks and homemade soups and breads.

by Anonymousreply 15303/14/2013

I like to make Velveeta's Shells & Cheese and then add in some Jimmy Dean sausage crumbles.

Then prepare 'Savory Herbs' Stove Top, grill some aspargus and chill some cranberry sause and VOILA... a delicious comfort meal dinner.

by Anonymousreply 15403/14/2013

Y'all sounds fat.

by Anonymousreply 15503/14/2013

Posters who imagine that pasta and chicken together are some sort of no-no in Italy have their heads up their asses. The most long-standing pasta tradition in Italy is one of creating dishes with what's handy and available, and occasionally that is chicken.

I believe there is even a famous regional specialty with pasta and chicken livers?

Regardless, va fa in culo. You don't know what you're talking about. Bunch of snitty Chelsea queens scouring the net for someone to look down on. That's far nastier than any Velveeta pasta ever could be.

by Anonymousreply 15603/14/2013

Chicken livers are an entirely different thing .

by Anonymousreply 15703/14/2013

Vaffanculo yourself, R156. Cheese-covered chicken breasts on top of spaghetti is a far cry from chicken livers.

by Anonymousreply 15803/14/2013

If you go to women's magazines in italy, newspaper suplements and especially internet sites... you'll find all kinds of combos and fusion dishes... especially in the last few years as the need for copy has increased at a crazy rate. Anything goes.

However tradition, what people expect and actually eat, are quite different.

You are correct about chicken livers however... they do show up in sauces. Duck is another bird that makes it in sauces.

But chicken (and turkey for that matter) no.

However if you have patience and search through the internet you are sure to find something. Finding it on a menu... you won't have much luck.

There are by the way great dishes here that deal with left over chicken

by Anonymousreply 15903/14/2013

Chicken Parmesan is typically served with pasta, either on the side, or under the chicken.

But for chrissakes, no effing velvetta and condensed soup, grooOOOss!

by Anonymousreply 16003/14/2013

I'll take the mac, cheese, and chicken over chicken livers. As my doctor once said, why would you eat the filtration system of an animal?

by Anonymousreply 16103/14/2013

Yes, that's beyond the pale, ever so much worse than eating an animal's menses, skin, and muscles.

by Anonymousreply 16203/14/2013

[quote]Yum. Velveeta and *two* cans of Campbell's Condensed Soups.

On a web site called "just a pinch".

by Anonymousreply 16303/14/2013

I don't eat animal skin or menses R162. Who the heck eats menstrual fluid?

Muscle, yes. Ribeyes are yummy.

by Anonymousreply 16403/14/2013

Why in the world would you top that glop off with "freshly grated" parmesan cheese when it already has so much fake cheese baked in? And you know whoever makes it and follows that suggestion for the topping will use the stuff right out of the green can.

by Anonymousreply 16503/14/2013

[quote]what people expect and actually eat, are quite different.

Yes, because you've been in every home in Italy to see what every person is eating. Queen, if it's a recipe in Corrierre della Sera, it's safe to assume people in Italy are eating it.

But don't let reality get in the way of your ghetto queen snobby snit-fit, please.

by Anonymousreply 16603/14/2013

It's "paremesan" according to Jeanne, R165. And I'm sure it says 'freshly grated' right on the can.

by Anonymousreply 16703/14/2013

[quote]As my doctor once said, why would you eat the filtration system of an animal?

because it is delicious and nutritious

by Anonymousreply 16803/14/2013

Livers from any animal are disgusting.

by Anonymousreply 16903/14/2013

R166 are right, I have not been in every home in Italy. I'm only writing from here and have lived here for 30 years.

Now tell us about you.

by Anonymousreply 17003/14/2013

Me? I don't make broad pronouncements about an entire country with a huge range of eating habits and traditions that vary enormously from region to region in order to make fun of some old lady's recipe on the internet. That's all.

And I'm quite familiar with Italy in much the same way you are. I just don't boast about my connections to anonymous strangers on the net... and certainly never in this context.

by Anonymousreply 17103/14/2013

This is similar but a little healthier. I love this blog.

by Anonymousreply 17203/14/2013

R171 no you are not quite familiar with Italy in much the same way I am.

Where do you live here? How long have you been here?

Furthermore: here in Tuscany "American style" hamburgers are served with french fries on top of the hamburger. I kid you not.

A hamburger with french fries on top ...inside of a roll.

Try telling someone here that Americans actually don't eat hamburgers that way.

It's like telling you that Italians don't eat chicken with pasta.

by Anonymousreply 17303/14/2013

I can't believe this a thread on the DL. This was an East TX staple where I'm from, served at every family reunion, church supper, you name it. Same exact recipe. It feeds a ton of people and for cheap.

by Anonymousreply 17403/14/2013

R173 I've been with you until now on the chicken and pasta issue.

It so happens, unfortunately, that in Pittsburgh, PA, USA, there is a chain of sandwich shops called Primanti's (the Italian-ness is purely coincidental) that puts French Fries ON the sandwich, i.e., BETWEEN the slices of bread, on top of whatever the main offering is.

I've never been. I'll never go. I don't want FF on a sandwich. But it's very, very popular, and it's moving across the country. Someone paid the Primantis millions of dollars to take them nationwide (I think they're already in FL).

Ugh. In Tuscany, they're a little bit right about FF ON hamburgers.

by Anonymousreply 17503/14/2013

[quote]Furthermore: here in Tuscany "American style" hamburgers are served with french fries on top of the hamburger. I kid you not.

I LOVE those hamburgers!!

I've also had FF on pizza. That wasn't as successful in my opinion.

by Anonymousreply 17603/14/2013

[quote]Where do you live here? How long have you been here?

As I've said twice now, I don't talk about such to anonymous strangers on the internet and certainly never in such a degraded context, ie to use it as a weapon in a queeny snob-snit about some random woman's internet recipe?!!? Um, yuck.

But I will say that living in Italy is not THAT unusual, dear. Millions upon millions of people do it every single day, and somehow we manage to leave open the possibility that we might not be familiar with every last eating habit of every person out there, especially with a tradition as enormously varied as what's put with pasta.

As anyone who's genuinely gotten to know Italy will tell you: This is a tradition so wide and varied (itself deriving from an even longer-standing tradition of 'make-do-ness") that it's nearly impossible to generalize in the way you are doing.

And since I've linked to a recipe and pointed out a traditional preparation that both contradict what you say, I think you just need to accept that you're wrong and move on. Grazie.

by Anonymousreply 17703/14/2013

R177 read some of the great writers on Italian cooking. Marcella Hazan, probably the best of the bunch is a great example: generalizations are made... the culture and way of eating are summarized.

It is simply idiotic to say: "we might not be familiar with every last eating habit of every person out there."

Read what Hazan has to say about Italians and cheese on fish (she's right on).

Read what she says about the Italian salad, how they are dressed. Etc.

Watch Batali... another very knowledgeable American about the customs of Italy.

by Anonymousreply 17803/14/2013

Brits and an American thanks.

I will go to the source myself, actual Italians.

by Anonymousreply 17903/14/2013

Hazan is Italian. (Hazan is her husbands name)

Some sweeping generalizations for R177:

by Anonymousreply 18003/14/2013

R178 I'm as familiar with Marcella Hazan's teachings as the the next food queen with Italian specialization, and I have loved everything I've learned from her books, but there are simply times when I like cheese with my seafood.

I love mac and cheese with lobster, and there's a lasagne I make with shrimp and scallops that's absolutely wonderful, in which I even use Marcella's homemade pasta and besciamella recipes. It includes a considerable amount of Parmigiano-Reggiano. Sorry, R178, and sorry, Marcella, but it's just too good to give up.

by Anonymousreply 18103/14/2013

Girls. girls, you're both annoying.

by Anonymousreply 18203/14/2013

Sorry...mixe Hazen up with the other Brit.

Hazen has adopted many non Italian methods into her cooking but she is good.

Those sweeping generalizations are good to keep in mind when traveling Italy.

by Anonymousreply 18303/14/2013

It's Hazan, R183. No "e."

by Anonymousreply 18403/14/2013

R121 Needs buttered toasted breadcrumbs on top.

by Anonymousreply 18503/14/2013

Saying that traditions and habits are wide and varied is quite different from saying there are no traditions or habits at all. You seem to have imagined I was arguing the latter. That's understandable since there's nothing else left for you to argue, as I've demolished your case.

And Hazan manages to limn various traditions without ever delving into the foolish, sweeping queenery which is obviously your stock and trade. It's one of the reasons she's a popular, canonical cookbook author and you're a random queen on the internet, trying to use your "knowledge" to look down your nose at some old lady on the internet.

by Anonymousreply 18603/14/2013

And from reading the comments on that post, it pretty much debunks the foodie snob's assertions. Some of the comments were from native Italians and they all said that the rules were over the top.

I think that the poster who said that in Italy, recipes often evolved based on what was available and using what was on hand. I get the feeling that being creative with food is something that many Italian cooks excel at. Perhaps chicken in a pasta dish isn't common at their restaurants, but it wouldn't surprise me at all to find it in a home.

There are lots of foods that are home based delicious foods, that are not common to find in restaurants. That doesn't make the food less "valid" or authentic. The reason many of us eat at restaurants is to have things we don't commonly have at home. And the reason why many of us who have eaten at restaurants day after day when traveling, for example, get excited about having a home cooked meal is because home cooked food is special to us in a different way.

By the way, it seems to be over the top bitchiness, even for DL standards to make fun of a lady who is just trying to feed her family and friends. She has done no harm to you so why go after her. There are so many people out there who deserve your scorn, why waste it on someone's home cooking grandma, who probably can whip up a batch of home made cookies in nothing flat.

by Anonymousreply 18703/14/2013

Actually you could argue that by encouraging this type of cooking that relies on processed, high saturated fat, high sodium ingredients she is in fact doing harm.

by Anonymousreply 18803/14/2013

The chicken as a meat (at least what you can find in North American supermarkets) is the blandest type of meat imaginable and, as such, provides no flavor to pasta. All the flavor must come from the sauce and preparing the chicken in a certain way and I talian cuisine is more about letting natural flavors of ingredients come together instead of trying to alter them or disguise them.

by Anonymousreply 18903/14/2013

Gloppy disgusting food like that does a lot of harm.

From my friend Sofia outside of Napoli on the chicken pasta question.

"NO, is disgusting. Why you no make fennel with sardine pasta like I showed you, is perfect before spring vegetables come."

by Anonymousreply 19003/14/2013

Oh fuck off. Seriously.

Yes, no one is debating the recipe is healthy. The point is people have been dumping on this lady on here just to have a reason to feel superior. I am sorry some of you have a black hole of insecurity that you have to go to this point, in order to raise up your own self esteem.

Unless you are someone who eats clean 100% of the time, never makes an unsafe decision, calculates the risk of every step, bite, drink, medication, sex partner, vehicle, etc, then quit judging this woman for a recipe on a web site that makes no pretense about being a healthy food site, or anything else.

Yes, if this woman went online and tried to sell that stuff as health food, gourmet food, authentic Italian or whatever, tear her apart, but I am pretty sure she made no such claim.

So y'all need to get the fuck over it. Go pick on Bieber, or Franco, or Dick Cheney or someone else who makes themselves ridiculous on a daily basis. There is no shortage of 'victims' for DL's righteous bitchiness

by Anonymousreply 19103/14/2013

R191 find another thread to preach one,

This one is about casseroles.

by Anonymousreply 19203/14/2013

Don't be such a self-righteous bore, R191. The motto of this site is "pointless bitchery" and this thread epitomizes it.

by Anonymousreply 19303/14/2013

[quote]Why you no make fennel with sardine pasta like I showed you

Oh my god, that sounds revolting. I'd eat a thousand plates of Chicken Spaghetti before I'd eat one bit of "fennel w/ sardine pasta". BARF!

by Anonymousreply 19403/14/2013

Sounds better than that awful canned soup slop, real clean taste, I love fennel, R190!

by Anonymousreply 19503/14/2013

[quote}provides no flavor to pasta

No one's suggesting it go alone on pasta. And plenty of foods that are somewhat bland by comparison to other more assertive flavors are common components of pasta dishes: zucchini, mozzarella, ricotta, peas, etc.

Pasta in Italy was once more commonly served in a mild broth as a soup than in the 'asciutta' form we're more familiar with now, and you'll still find it often served that way in Italy so the idea that the flavors have to be assertive is total bunk.

by Anonymousreply 19603/14/2013

ITA, r191.

by Anonymousreply 19703/14/2013

[quote] Oh my god, that sounds revolting. I'd eat a thousand plates of Chicken Spaghetti before I'd eat one bit of "fennel w/ sardine pasta". BARF!

Midwestern food preferences. How cute.

by Anonymousreply 19803/14/2013

This thread is making me crave arroz con pollo. Not the poster.

by Anonymousreply 20003/14/2013

I'm not a midwesterner but I wouldn't eat fennel w/sardine past either. Sardines are gross. The fennel is okay.

by Anonymousreply 20103/14/2013

[quote]Midwestern food preferences. How cute.

No, just that sardines and fennel are both utterly disgusting.

by Anonymousreply 20203/14/2013

What happened to Arroz con Pollo, the poster? Speaking of which does anyone have a good recipe for it?

by Anonymousreply 20303/14/2013

This recipe from the Times is very close to how Sofia showed me.

If you can let go of your baby is an awesome dish.

by Anonymousreply 20403/14/2013

R190, LOL! So true.

For those interested in the fennel/sardine pasta, google "Pasta con sarde". It's actually the dish you're supposed to eat on St. Joseph's day, which is coming up on March 19th. For those who said "ew", guess what? It has raisins in it, too! One of my favorite dishes, actually.

As I said before, as an Italian/Italian-American, this doesn't bother me nearly as much as what Honey Boo Boo's mother makes, which is ketchup and country crock microwaved together and tossed with pasta and cheese in the green can. That makes me want to cry. But this velveeta thing is clearly not a riff on an Italian classic.

by Anonymousreply 20503/14/2013

R205, it sounds utterly vile. Far worse than Chicken Spaghetti.

Not that I'm likely to ever eat either one, but if told to choose at the point of the gun, the choice would be blindingly obvious, and it woudln't be fennel sardin pasta with raisins.

And it has nothing to do with 'baby tastes' for chrissakes.

by Anonymousreply 20603/14/2013

I kind of suspect a lot of the posters here are the people you see eating at McDonald's when you travel through Europe.

by Anonymousreply 20703/14/2013

R204, that's similar to how my Napolitano/Sicilian family makes it, too, except no sundried tomato and no saffron (though I know many people who use the saffron, it was more than likely a cost issue with my family). I usually use fresh sardines, but good quality canned sardines work just as well, too. If I don't have currants, golden raisins work well.

Oh but please DO use the bucatini, my favorite pasta. For the breadcrumbs, we always ground our own, COARSE texture (similiar to panko), and toasted it in a pan with a little olive oil, then topped the pasta with it. This is good on a lot of pastas, actually (Sicilians use it fairly often on pasta)

by Anonymousreply 20803/14/2013

bucatini works really nicely for chunky sauces.

by Anonymousreply 20903/14/2013

[quote]And it has nothing to do with 'baby tastes' for chrissakes.

It has everything to do with your baby tastes. R207 describes you perfectly.

by Anonymousreply 21003/14/2013

I don't get the big deal about sundried tomatoes. They are way too sweet for me. I prefer plain old raw or stewed tomatoes.

by Anonymousreply 21103/14/2013

I'm not R206 but I've never set foot in a McDonald's overseas, or here, but I wouldn't eat that dish either. I just don't care for sardines. I'd eat it without the sardines though.

by Anonymousreply 21203/14/2013

Thank r204, I've printed it and will make the dish in the near future.

by Anonymousreply 21303/14/2013

me too, R204

by Anonymousreply 21403/14/2013

Mmmmm ...

by Anonymousreply 21503/14/2013

I see plenty of foreign tourists at McDonalds in NYC. Sometimes people just want what's fast, easy, cheap and recognizable.

by Anonymousreply 21603/14/2013

more about making your own breadcrumbs, please.

by Anonymousreply 21703/14/2013

No, R210, you little judgmental priss. I cannot stand licorice flavor (which many kids love), so anise, fennel, and other related flavors are turn-offs. And I dislike sardines strongly.

Neither fact indicates "baby tastes" (what a fucking stupid term to begin with). Your desire to feel suprior does not change reality. I eat a LOT of things. There are a very few things I do not like.

Stop being an idiot. Seriously.

by Anonymousreply 21803/14/2013

R215 if you have a good butcher you can easily get pig cheek and cure your own.

by Anonymousreply 21903/14/2013

r217 Whatever you do, don't throw rock-solid crusts of "good" bread in the Cuisinart to make breadcrumbs. I broke the plastic part of my blade and had to replace it.

by Anonymousreply 22003/14/2013

I would eat R215's posted recipe.

by Anonymousreply 22103/14/2013

R217, for the breacrumbs I just leave some leftover bread out overnight (italian bread, french bread, whatever you want to call it) on the counter so it gets hard, then whiz is in the food processor until it's the texture you want (very finely ground or coarse, depending on what you're making). It keeps well because there's no moisture in the bread in order for it to mold, sme people store it in the fr

eezer. I usually just make mine as I need it. Ground coarse, toasted in a pan with olive oil, a little garlic, some red pepper flakes, salt...delicious on many pasta dishes!

by Anonymousreply 22203/14/2013

R220, try breaking it up into smaller chunks, you can do that before or after it gets hard (probably easier before). You can even put it in a bag and beat the hell out of it with a rolling pin or meat mallet if you want it to be coarse.

by Anonymousreply 22303/14/2013

The recipe at R204 sounds delicious, except for the fennel. I loathe licorice, anise, and fennel. It's not a matter of "midwestern baby tastes." My parents are from the old country and I grew up eating things that turn a lot of American stomachs (tripe, sweetbreads, liver, snails, eel). There are particular flavors that are very unpalatable to some people. Cilantro is a classic. Some love it, others can take it in small doses, and others think it tastes like soap. There may be a genetic basis for how our brains perceive some flavors.

by Anonymousreply 22403/14/2013

Fennel isn't as strong as licorice. It's so mild.

by Anonymousreply 22503/14/2013

r215 - Just bought a couple of pounds of guanciale last Saturday. I made a sauce from just the guanciale, garlic, olive oil, parsley, crushed red pepper and some of the pasta water. Delicious. Also used it in the Bolognese sauce I made Sunday and will make pasta all'Amatriciana this weekend.

Love the stuff.

by Anonymousreply 22603/14/2013

r207 sounds like the type to form a lifelong pose around the fact that he didn't eat at McDonald's on his trip to Europe.

by Anonymousreply 22703/14/2013

[quote] The easiest thing is just to boil some egg noodles and top it with the cream of mushroom soup.

Shouldn't you boil the egg noodles in the cream of mushroom soup?

by Anonymousreply 22803/14/2013

Can't we all get together and just make chicken fettuccine Alfredo?

by Anonymousreply 22903/14/2013

R229 you are banished to the Olive Garden for the rest of your natural life.

by Anonymousreply 23003/14/2013

R210 has been trying to make "baby tastes" happen for a few years now. Give it a rest, toots. Not caring for things like fennel or sardines is hardly "baby tastes".

I think a lot of the foodies on DL can't wrap their heads around the concept that different people have different tastes. Anyone who doesn't absolutely ADORE every and any random ingredient in a given dish is labeled "baby tastes"

I could see it applied to someone who only eats chicken nuggets, cheese curls and Lucky Charms, but to attack someone for not liking sardines? Wacko.

by Anonymousreply 23103/14/2013

R231 Baby tastes has happened....

by Anonymousreply 23203/14/2013

Some good posts here by people who actually understand Italian cooking.

Besides sardines... I love pasta with anchovy (packed in salt, rinsed and boned)...dissolved in sautéed garlic and parsley with breadcrumbs.

These simple rustic pasta sauces are done in the time it takes to boil water and cook the pasta.

I break tradition here and have a nice red wine with this (as do most contadini)

by Anonymousreply 23303/14/2013

R233...anchovy and garlic are the food of the gods.

by Anonymousreply 23403/14/2013

[quote] I cannot stand licorice flavor (which many kids love), so anise, fennel, and other related flavors are turn-offs. And I dislike sardines strongly.

then run along to chucky cheese's with the other 6 year olds.

by Anonymousreply 23503/14/2013

R235, you're the one behaving like a child here.

by Anonymousreply 23603/14/2013

I never realized that deriding someone because they do not like a particular food is a sign of maturity or cultural superiority.

by Anonymousreply 23703/14/2013

[quote]Fennel isn't as strong as licorice. It's so mild.

Yeah, so I'm told. Tastes very strong/intense to me. Like a piercing knife through the dark.

I'm also told mushrooms "have no flavor" or are mild or whatever. They're so intense to me that they're painfully unpleasant.

I'm guessing I'm a "super-taster" of some sort for some specific chemicals. I like and eat most things, but the things I don't like are generally because my perception of them is so intense it's unpleasant. Fennel, mushrooms, and olives all fall into this category.

But other things that people find strongly objectionable, I am perfeclty okay with, including cilantro. (shrug)

by Anonymousreply 23803/14/2013

Good grief R235 not everyone has the same tastes or likes. Get over it. Just because someone dislikes licorice and sardines doesn't mean they eat at Chuck E. Cheese or McDonald's.

I'm making crab cakes with lime aioli sauce tonight.

by Anonymousreply 23903/14/2013

[quote]I'm making crab cakes with lime aioli sauce tonight.

Now THAT sounds delicious! :-)

by Anonymousreply 24003/14/2013

This thread exemplifies what is wrong with this site.

We could have had fun mocking this frau and her disgusting white trash food, and yet a couple of Marys have derailed the thread with their ridiculous argument over chicken in pasta.

by Anonymousreply 24203/14/2013

mmmm.... crab cakes with lime aioli sauce.

Can I have that with extra cheese?

by Anonymousreply 24303/14/2013

I am definitely not one of those people who freaked out about chicken on pasta, but that contingent of pretentious mary! posters is what helps give this board character, it certainly is not a problem.

by Anonymousreply 24403/14/2013

R234 Have you ever had bagna cauda? I don't normally like fish, but the anchovies are incredible in that dish.

by Anonymousreply 24503/14/2013

R245 Yes, that is one of my favorite things to make. I had it first in a small town near Milan at a friend's house.

by Anonymousreply 24603/14/2013

R204 Re: Pasta with sardines:

That recipe from the NYTimes is a nice start, but it's not quite authentic. You really should give the genuine dish a try if you have the chance. I'm not surprised the article does not have an author listed.

On the link below is an Italian wikipedia article about the classic dish. It's in Italian but the ingredient list should be easy enough to understand:

Sardines, onion, anchovy (packed in salt), raisins, pine nuts, saffron, (oil,salt,pepper),

Fresh sardines are what you really need... but canned sardines will do. Make sure they are packed in oil.

The NYTimes says "sun dried tomatoes optional". Believe me, dried tomatoes are not a part of this dish.

American TV chefs love sun dried tomatoes and seem to throw them into all sorts of dishes. In Italy they occasionally turn up in pasta but they're mostly eaten as an appetizer or on sandwiches or as a garnish.

re: fennel. The dish is made with fresh fennel fronds (the green top part)... not seeds. If I could not find fresh fennel tops then I'd simply leave it out and enjoy the dish all the same.

A small amount of tomato is also seen in this dish as a variation.

by Anonymousreply 24703/14/2013

R245 One of my favorite food memories is the first time I had bagna cauda.

by Anonymousreply 24803/14/2013

r247 - Where does one find wild fennel? I grew some - "Seeds From Italy" but I moved and no longer have the seeds. Is it available in stores at all.

by Anonymousreply 24903/14/2013

Yes stores carry it.

by Anonymousreply 25003/14/2013

The foodies are some of the worst posters here. Snobbish, condescending, pompous little shits, they ruin every thread that has the slightest thing to do with food.

by Anonymousreply 25103/14/2013

It's usually the skinnier looking stuff. It's sweeter.

by Anonymousreply 25203/14/2013

[quote] The foodies are some of the worst posters here. Snobbish, condescending, pompous little shits, they ruin every thread that has the slightest thing to do with food.

You sound angry and fat. Isn't there some slop sale where you could go and use your coupons? Or to iVillage to trade potato salad recipes?

by Anonymousreply 25303/14/2013

R251 Alcohol on a cotton swab can clean the cheeto dust off of your computer keyboard.

by Anonymousreply 25403/14/2013

Lol, r253!

by Anonymousreply 25503/14/2013

Really, R255? A hackneyed fat accusation and a lame ivillage reference makes you lol? You've got pretty low standards. Or is it low IQ?

And R253 & R254? Thanks for proving my point. I knew some moron would fall for it, but 2? And so quickly! Very impressive. Except R254 is even more lazy in his trolling. "Dust the cheetohs off your keyboard..." How very funny! And original! In 1995, maybe.

by Anonymousreply 25603/14/2013

Oh, go dust of your boxed foods, r256....

by Anonymousreply 25703/14/2013

lmfao r256

by Anonymousreply 25803/14/2013

Pioneer Woman who cooks up some tasty meals has a chicken spaghetti recipe....kinda gross if you ask me.

by Anonymousreply 25903/14/2013

R251... do you really expect urban gay men not to snicker at recipes that begin with: "1 can of Campbell's Cream of Mushroom" ?

by Anonymousreply 26003/14/2013

Everything about that Pioneer Woman and her nasty family looks vile, and that includes her cooking.

by Anonymousreply 26103/14/2013

Ah that's good eatin'!!

by Anonymousreply 26203/14/2013

That poster probably doesn't understand why many people who actually appreciate food find that and this whole "recipe" hilarious R260.

It's "semi-homade" cooking by throwing in processed shit. Those are not real ingredients.

by Anonymousreply 26303/14/2013

Wouldn't touch it. Little more than salt, highly refined carbs, plasticized hydrogenized fat particles, unprounounceable 'trace' ingredients and even others that are identified in acronyms - how American.

by Anonymousreply 26403/14/2013

It's so weird to see chicken spaghetti being prepared in gourmet kitchen that's equipped with one of those special little sinks to fill pots with water.

by Anonymousreply 26503/14/2013

[quote]...they ruin every thread that has the slightest thing to do with food.

I don't think this qualifies as 'food'.

by Anonymousreply 26603/14/2013

I was totally down with that new recipe, AND THEN SHE HAD TO OPEN A CAN OF CAMPBELL'S.

by Anonymousreply 26703/14/2013

Any recipe with Velveeta as the second ingredient is a triumph for real America!

by Anonymousreply 26803/14/2013

Oh, it would be fun to do It once. Do a campy food night and invite friends, definitely take a glass of water to bed with you, you'll be thirsty later!

by Anonymousreply 26903/14/2013

Velveeta is a desert topping and a floor wax.

by Anonymousreply 27003/14/2013

Paula Deen has a CHOCOLATE FUDGE recipe that includes Velveeta. I shit you not.

by Anonymousreply 27103/14/2013

LOL, this thread has more posts than the breaking news of a new pope one.

by Anonymousreply 27203/14/2013

[quote]do you really expect urban gay men to...

"urban"? Is that a euphemism for embarrassing tight shirt and ugly shoes wearing types who speak with an embarrassing accent?

by Anonymousreply 27303/14/2013

The food snobs really are insufferable. Sometimes when I don't have enough pan drippings to get a decent amount of gravy, I add a can of creme of mushroom soup, and some Bisto (British gravy mix), water, and some goose fat. It is the best I've ever had. Oh, and I didn't die after eating it!

I hate licorice flavors as well. They overpower everything! Why not just eat black licorice for dinner? How de rigeur!

by Anonymousreply 27403/15/2013

Which would matter, R272, if there weren't 98 pope threads.

by Anonymousreply 27503/15/2013

The only truly gross thing about that recipe is the cream of mushroom soup. ICK! I'd use two cans of cream-of-chicken soup.

by Anonymousreply 27603/15/2013

I'd love that white trash food. I generally eat healthy, but if I had a choice, I'd eat stuff like that.

by Anonymousreply 27703/15/2013

R274 Mushroom soup "gravy". How charmingly retrò.

by Anonymousreply 27803/15/2013

R274 Bisto is acceptable but canned soup is not.

by Anonymousreply 27903/15/2013

Pan drippings, flour, water and Bisto are all you need... if you want mushrooms, soak some dried porcini (use the soaking water too) or you can use fresh champignon... but there's no reason to resort to canned soup.

by Anonymousreply 28003/15/2013

RE: Pioneer Woman, that is one hell of a high-end kitchen to be cooking trailer trash food in. Granite everywhere and a sink apparently entirely dedicated to filling large pots with water. I almost want to follow the blog just so I can see the inevitable pictures of her using a $12K Aga to fry baloney.

Speaking of the pictures, does Pioneer Woman seem a bit overenthused about them? She posted a picture of every single step in the process of throwing together her processed food feast, including when she washed her hands.

by Anonymousreply 28103/15/2013

Sometimes I'll see a recipe that looks interesting, but it calls for a "cream of whatever" soup. I make a roux, then add broth and cream. If I'm being healthy, greek yogurt actually works well instead of the cream. Then add salt, pepper, whatever seasonings. Works for me.

by Anonymousreply 28203/15/2013

R274 - what's wrong with goose fat? If anything, that qualifies as precious, not common like Velveeta or cans of condensed soup.

As a matter of fact, it's an essential part of a traditional French cassoulet. Hungry now...

by Anonymousreply 28303/15/2013

Would the proportions of the milk, flour, and butter for the béchamel at the link work in the recipe @OP? I actually think this would be delish with the cream cheese and cheddar/béchamel substitutions.

by Anonymousreply 28403/15/2013

I walked into a casual pizza/pasta restaurant last night and the featured dinner special was Fettucine Chicken Alfredo with broccoli rabe and garlic bread. I laughed out loud when I saw the sign.

They also had various styles of chicken as pizza toppings.

by Anonymousreply 28503/15/2013

Goose fat flavors broths in French cuisine

by Anonymousreply 28603/15/2013

thanks, r247

by Anonymousreply 28703/15/2013

R285, what on earth is laughable about any of that? It's all pretty standard...

by Anonymousreply 28803/15/2013

[quote][R285], what on earth is laughable about any of that? It's all pretty standard...

And that's exactly what's laughable.

by Anonymousreply 28903/15/2013

Um... yeah. You're going to have to explain. There's nothing laughable about it at all. That you think there is kinda speaks to an issue YOU have, and what kind of an idiot you are.

by Anonymousreply 29003/15/2013

285, have you not read this entire thread?

by Anonymousreply 29103/15/2013

r228 - "Shouldn't you boil the egg noodles in the cream of mushroom soup?"

They might soften - eventually.

by Anonymousreply 29203/15/2013

I thought r285 meant that he started laughing thinking of the chicken/pasta discussion on DL.

by Anonymousreply 29303/15/2013

Fettucine Alfredo with chicken and broccoli tossed in stopped being Fettucine Alfredo beginning with chicken. It's Old World and stuffy to say it, but it's true.

It's standard American fare to take a distinguished Old World recipe, add a can of this, a dash of that, and some melted Velveeta, and call it nutritious and edible, let alone dinner.

by Anonymousreply 29403/15/2013

Anything Alfredo, chicken or not, is American and not Italian.

by Anonymousreply 29503/15/2013

From the wiki on Alfredo Sauce:

Fettuccine Alfredo is a pasta dish made from fettuccine pasta tossed with Parmesan cheese and butter.[1] As the cheese melts, it emulsifies the liquids to form a smooth and rich coating on the pasta. It was named by an Italian restaurateur, Alfredo Di Lelio, at his restaurant Alfredo on the Via della Scrofa in Rome in 1914.

Unless Rome is in the United States, Alfredo sauce is Italian in origin.

by Anonymousreply 29603/15/2013

Just made this. So Good. Now im gonna puke.

by Anonymousreply 29703/15/2013

R296, but that has nothing to do with how it's prepared in America, which is basically just tons of heavy cream.

by Anonymousreply 29803/15/2013

Fettucini Alfredo, as Americans know it, is not an Italian dish.

As the Wiki article correctly states,

"Though pasta with butter and cheese ("fettuccine burro e parmigiano" or "in bianco") is not uncommon, the name "fettuccine Alfredo" is largely unknown in Italy".

"Fettucini Alfredo" is made with cream. "Pasta in Bianco" is not.

It should also be noted that the restaurant was one that served tourists. Believe me, Romans, do not eat fettucini with cream. No, not even at home when no one is looking.

More about the restaurant in Rome:

"You can go there. It is in downtown Rome. They will have beautiful outdoor seating, they will have a people that will serenade you, and you will see the pictures all over the walls. And yes, you can order a dish of Pasta in Bianco. ummm, I mean Fettuccine Alfredo. You will be joined by nothing but other Americans that were looking for the same place, for the same reasons. You will find no Italians, no other Europeans, nada. This place is there just for Americans. If that is what you are after, by all means go and have a wonderful time. It is truly a pretty place. But for those that are looking for something authentic, by all means, keep walking. Since they don’t cater to Italians here, they can get away with low quality ingredients, producing low-quality food. Why? Because you are a tourist and you won’t know the difference. Why not stay home and go to Olive Garden if you want bad Italian food?"

"You won’t find spaghetti and meatballs in Italy. You will never find olive oil and herb dipping sauce with your bread. There will be no Chicken-Pesto pasta, and you won’t see a meat lover’s pizza. You will also never see Alfredo Sauce. That is, unless you happen upon the restaurant that exists with the sole purpose of capitalizing on the fact that you are seeking it out."

by Anonymousreply 29903/15/2013

R288/R290, it's always a good idea to at least skim the thread before posting. Otherwise, you look pretty stupid complaining about a reference you didn't get, that was understood by everyone who read the thread

by Anonymousreply 30003/15/2013

R299, do either you or the author of that tripe really think nobody else has ever been to Italy? lol. It reads like some high school girl in Highland Park wrote that.

by Anonymousreply 30103/15/2013

R301 The really funny stuff are the posters here insisting that Fettucini Alfredo...or worse yet, that Fettucini Alfredo with chicken on top is Italian cuisine.

by Anonymousreply 30203/15/2013

People who think a food is somehow better because it's popular in a particular place are some of the stupidest people on earth.

by Anonymousreply 30303/15/2013

Probably, R284. OP's recipe calls for 2 cans of soup & those are 10.75 oz each, so almost 22 oz total. The bechamel recipe calls for 2 cups milk plus 1 cup combined butter & flour, so approximately 3 cups total & that equals 24 oz. Close enough for a casserole like this, which is supposed to be creamy.

I do think it sounds good, for those of us who love cheese & cream sauce & pasta. Anyone else isn't invited.

by Anonymousreply 30403/15/2013

R302? Enough.

by Anonymousreply 30503/15/2013

[quote]Anything Alfredo, chicken or not, is American and not Italian.

I'm caught between two simultaneous reactions: "So?" and "Oh just fuck you, pedant!"

Nothing you get at P.F. Chang's is Chinese food either, but it's fucking Chinese Food.

Grow up you pretentious ass.

by Anonymousreply 30603/15/2013

MY God, the calories in that thing!

by Anonymousreply 30703/16/2013

by Anonymousreply 30803/16/2013

My favorite thing about the link OP posted was that the nice woman who posted her recipe returned frequently to share in other's enjoyment of her creation, and thank them. It's very sweet.

by Anonymousreply 30903/16/2013

I thought -- someone told me in the 1970s, that is -- Fettucine Alfredo was "invented" by someone who owned a restaurant either in the Village or on Central Park South.

No? It's actually from Italy?

by Anonymousreply 31003/16/2013

I agree with others. Pedantic food snobs are the fucking worst. LEARN TO HAVE SOME FUN IN LIFE.

by Anonymousreply 31103/16/2013

R311 we will let you have all the canned fun you like. Excuse us while we eat something more natural.

by Anonymousreply 31203/17/2013

My comfort food is potato salad in the spring. The chives are up enough to cut.

Drench warm diced potatoes with lemon, lime or the little mexican limon while still warm . Add lots of chopped tender celery core and inner leaves. Chopped parsley and a fist full of chopped chives. A bit of cayene.

Now use what ever mayo you like and dress generously.

Top the salad with crumbled blue cheese. I serve each portion with a hard egg rather than adding to the potatoes. That way the salad keeps better and never gets that egg smell.

I just finished making this. Having with sliced avacados, orange slices and a dish of mayacoba beans and onions that I make.

by Anonymousreply 31303/17/2013

[R13] I left out celery seed, whatever amount. I never use black pepper or salt so they can be added as well as crumbled bacon on top.

by Anonymousreply 31403/17/2013

R313 lives in a basement apartment, eats government cheese, and just POURS over old cook books for piss-elegant snack ideas.

by Anonymousreply 31503/17/2013

R315 [quote]and just POURS over old cook books

by Anonymousreply 31603/17/2013

R312, I think you're exposing your ignorance in attacking all canned goods like that.

by Anonymousreply 31703/17/2013

Quick, R317: what good canned goods are we ignoring?

by Anonymousreply 31803/17/2013

R318 Most cooks used canned tomato products (crushed, whole, etc.); they're better and more consistent than fresh in cooking.

by Anonymousreply 31903/17/2013

R319 I suppose it depends on what you are cooking.

I have never found them 'better' consistent yes.

by Anonymousreply 32003/17/2013

Even Alton Brown says canned tomatoes make BETTER sauces and such.

Never mind that canning was a revolution and helps to feed people all over the world at all times of the year. The arrogance and self-absorption and obliviousness-to-ones-own-privilege it takes to dismiss and reject ALL canned goods is just stunning.

It takes a complete asshole and douche-bag to do any such thing.

The arrogance of the elitist.

by Anonymousreply 32103/17/2013

If Alton Brown says it then it must be true for everyone...

NO ONE CAN prefer fresh sauces ANY MORE, cause Alton Brown says so.

by Anonymousreply 32203/17/2013

R322, please stop being a strident idiot. We'll all thank you.

by Anonymousreply 32303/17/2013

I can't believe this thread!

by Anonymousreply 32403/17/2013

R319 I like canned tomatoes, too. I love fresh, so much so that I don't want to waste them making sauce. They're too good fresh, and their season is so short.

by Anonymousreply 32503/17/2013

I find canned tomatoes better than what is available during winter or spring. They're flavorless styrofoam.

Canned corn, black olives, green beans (for use in soups) are all fine.

by Anonymousreply 32603/17/2013

I like frozen corn, but I prefer fresh green beans. Since green beans are available year-round and don't suffer quality-wise the way tomatoes do out-of-season, they're what I choose every time.

I've never put green beans in soup. I wonder whether I'd like them. I make chicken noodle/veg. soup all the time. I can see why you'd like them pre-cooked, i.e., canned or frozen.

by Anonymousreply 32703/17/2013

Only for soups. I make a lot of hearty soups like minestrone so the canned works very well. As a side for a meal? Nah.

by Anonymousreply 32803/17/2013

Oh, no. I didn't think you ate them except in soup.

Somehow I managed not to know of the existence of that canned green bean/mushroom soup casserole thing until a few years ago.

by Anonymousreply 32903/17/2013

I just thought of another canned vegetable that's good and even preferable: beets. My mom would boil them when I was little and the lingering smell was pretty awful. She always complained about peeling the mess. I have never boiled a beet.

by Anonymousreply 33003/17/2013

I'd rather eat Chicken Spaghetti every night for a week than eat even one meal with any of the pretentious smug annoying food snobs in this thread.

(not that I'd ever do either such thing, I'm just sayin')

by Anonymousreply 33103/17/2013

I wrap beets in foil and roast them in the oven, R330.

by Anonymousreply 33203/17/2013

[quote] I'd rather eat Chicken Spaghetti every night for a week than eat even one meal with any of the pretentious smug annoying food snobs in this thread.

I remembur when we was po' too.

by Anonymousreply 33303/17/2013

Finally, something worthy of adding to my repertoire!

by Anonymousreply 33403/17/2013

R332 Me, too. Olive oil, salt and pepper. Let them cool a bit and the skins come off pretty easily. And they keep for a while in the fridge.

by Anonymousreply 33503/18/2013

R334 with sausage and a pesto that might be good.

by Anonymousreply 33603/18/2013

If I have any leftover (rarely), I like to leave them out, R332. I like the taste and (I think) the texture better if I don't refrigerate them. I think it's safe, particularly if I marinate them in a little bit of olive oil and vinegar first (usually sherry).

by Anonymousreply 33703/18/2013

I tried R247's recipe and it was AMAZING! I served some to an italian friend and she loved it!

by Anonymousreply 33803/18/2013

That's horrible, R334. The poor weiners.

by Anonymousreply 33903/18/2013

R338 I am glad you tried it, the result is greater than what you might expect from the parts.

by Anonymousreply 34003/18/2013

Re: Alton Brown.

Either Alton Brown is being misquoted or he doesn't know what he's talking about: the best tomato sauce is made with fresh vine-ripened tomatoes at the height of the season.

Otherwise yes, use canned.

I'm all for going local, but if you want to taste great canned tomatoes, do try canned tomatoes from Italy. Check the cans for the words "Pomodoro S. Marzano dell'Agro Sarnese-Nocerino". That is what canned tomatoes are supposed to taste like.

You can also taste great tomatoes (for less) under the brand name "Mutti". They are now importing to the US.

About San Marzano tomatoes:

by Anonymousreply 34103/18/2013

R338: Next time, you've GOT to try it with a chicken breast on top.

by Anonymousreply 34203/18/2013

Great tomatoes such as San Marzanos or pacchinos are hard to come by unless they are in season and imported fresh from Italy. I do buy them canned when I want to make a great pasta sauce and I can't find them at the market.

by Anonymousreply 34303/18/2013

My mother made hot dog spaghetti for us when we were kids, but even after cooking it to death, the pasta was still kind of crunchy inside the hot dog. It was pretty cool, though.

by Anonymousreply 34403/18/2013

Hot-dogs + Kraft mac&cheese was always a treat when I was at the baby-sitters as a child (my parents would never prepare such crap)

by Anonymousreply 34504/16/2013

I prefer Marcella Hazan's old family recipe for "Better 'n Sex Cake."

by Anonymousreply 34604/16/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!